Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Great Rip Off!

Go down 
+24
Orion Crystal Ice
80s Metal Lady
Lari
Shawn Of Fire
manny
MetalGuy71
Boris2008
Witchfinder
snooloui
DallasBlack
SpectreFate
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Fat Freddy
Dark Horseman
jstate
krokus
Eyesore
James B.
mc666
A Handful of Wayne
kmorg
GrandNational
exact33
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

The Great Rip Off! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2013 12:35 pm

I can hear the difference, but I also know what to listen for. Most people probably wouldn't be able to tell so for those people .mp3 is perfectly acceptable.

But if I was going to archive a collection of anything before selling it (DVDs, CDs whatever) I would want the highest quality possible, since .flac gives you identical quality to the original it would seem like a no brainer.

But I know I'm the only person on this board that gives a shit about this, so I'll stop wasting my time and your time.
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2013 12:36 pm

Yay we can say shit now!
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2013 1:18 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
Yay we can say shit now!

yes, our collective IQ just dipped even lower.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2013 1:31 pm

I can hear a slight difference when running my iPod through the Bose system in my car. But I just figure that this is going to be the music collection I keep for the rest of my life. And, I would like to maybe do some DJ'ing at "shit" bars and pubs around this country or the next. So, the addl' memory used is worth it in my pea-brian [I mean pea-"brain"].
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2013 1:52 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
S.D. wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
I have 115,207 songs, at 501GB. Goooooooooooooooo 128kbps!
Congratulations, you win the "quantity over quality" award for the week. If you can't hear the difference in a 128kbps audio file then you either need to buy a new stereo or need to get your hearing checked. Very Happy
128 is a low bitrate, but you can't tell me (although you probably will) that there is much difference between a 320kbps MP3 and a FLAC file. At that point you're just being particular.
I never said I couldn't hear the difference; I said the difference is so minimal it doesn't justify the space.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2013 1:53 pm

S.D. wrote:
I can hear the difference, but I also know what to listen for. Most people probably wouldn't be able to tell so for those people .mp3 is perfectly acceptable.
Nah, you're not an elitist. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2013 2:13 pm

Eyesore wrote:
S.D. wrote:

Fine, I'm elitist and you're an asshole.

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2013 2:22 pm

S.D. wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
S.D. wrote:
Fine, I'm elitist and you're an asshole.
No, I'm not. But you are an elitist. =)
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2013 2:30 pm

Oh, c'mon. Stop the bickering. No need for the name calling. You just have to agree to disagree.

It's not like there's an absolute on how you decide to store your files. It's an individual choice.

That said, I have no doubt that Shawn can hear the difference between 320 and flac. That has nothing to do with being elitist, it's his profession, for crying out loud.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2013 2:56 pm

I rip all my CDs to my computer and have done so ever since I got one. When my CD collection got to 300 I realized it was hard to keep track of everything but a guy on the USS JFK had a computer and I discovered Windows Media Player. After my deployment I bought my first PC and started ripping and have done it ever since. Luckily I started doing that before my collection started ballooning up. I have sold some CDs in the past but I just can't bring myself to get rid of most of them. I've worked too hard to get my collection and I won't sacrifice it for just for money (though, for my credit card debt sake I should, but I'm pretty damn stubborn and won't budge on this). Yes, my collection just sits in boxes in storage, but it is my goal to one day have a place to display them. One of the only real pleasures in life is CD hunting. One day it might change but until then, those that sell off their collection will just be a new source of CD shopping for me.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2013 3:27 pm

You guys all make me feel like a total idiot. Very Happy

I have no idea what you're all saying with the bit rates,flac etc. I must be totally illiterate when it comes to computer talk. All I know is I have loaded my cds into the computer (thru itunes) and have transferred said files onto my external hard drive. It works for me. don\'t know
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2013 3:33 pm

kmorg wrote:
Oh, c'mon. Stop the bickering. No need for the name calling. You just have to agree to disagree.

It's not like there's an absolute on how you decide to store your files. It's an individual choice.

That said, I have no doubt that Shawn can hear the difference between 320 and flac. That has nothing to do with being elitist, it's his profession, for crying out loud.
That's not why I think he has an elitist attitude. I've admitted that there is a difference.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2013 3:58 pm

007 wrote:

I have no idea what you're all saying with the bit rates,flac etc. I must be totally illiterate when it comes to computer talk. All I know is I have loaded my cds into the computer (thru itunes) and have transferred said files onto my external hard drive. It works for me. don\'t know

heck - i know what they are talking about but for me its just about being able to listen to music on demand - that is my point for starting the thread. I personally can hear some difference in music that is lossless vs. encoded but its a very small difference to my ears. I do understand that if i listened to it for a profession the difference would probably drive me nuts.

snooloui
Metal master
Metal master
snooloui

Number of posts : 913

PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2013 7:08 pm

I can't hear the difference. Maybe i'm just deaf. Pretty convinient if so as it saves me a ton of space on my iPod Laughing
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2013 7:10 pm

snooloui wrote:
I can't hear the difference. Maybe i'm just deaf. Pretty convinient if so as it saves me a ton of space on my iPod Laughing

i think that is where the rubber meets the road - I am listening to the music on decent headphones and on my computer. Its not a Bose system.

DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2013 7:27 pm

007 wrote:

You're not alone. That language makes no sense to me. I just put the disc in my computer, go to the rip tag on Windows Media Player, and select rip CD. Anything beyond that...
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2013 7:31 pm

exact33 wrote:

Its not a Bose system.

Did I just get "ripped"????

Last edited by UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS on Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2013 7:34 pm

Just kidding A. But, I will say this: When I was, ummm, unavailable to make decisions for myself, let's say....I listened to everything on headphones. Listening to headphones changed everything I had ever known about music. I heard songs that I had heard LITERALLY 200-300 times, and I heard stuff on headphones that I never knew were in those songs. I don't know how this has any bearing on this convo. I just wanted to throw it out there.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2013 7:40 pm

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
exact33 wrote:

Its not a Bose system.

Did I just get "ripped"????

not intentionally. Did I miss something?

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2013 7:43 pm

I can hear a slight difference when running my iPod through the Bose system in my car. But I just figure that this is going to be the music collection I keep for the rest of my life. And, I would like to maybe do some DJ'ing at "shit" bars and pubs around this country or the next. So, the addl' memory used is worth it in my pea-brian [I mean pea-"brain"].

I guess.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2013 7:44 pm

I guess.

oops. i didnt even read that into my post.

Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2013 7:56 pm

I have 1000 albums on my external hard drive. They are all lossless files. As soon as I get a new cd, I rip it and drop it on the external hard drive. I do keep all my physical media though. I have considered ditching all my jewel cases and using these:

That should save a ton of space and make moving easier.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2013 8:01 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
I have 1000 albums on my external hard drive. They are all lossless files. As soon as I get a new cd, I rip it and drop it on the external hard drive. I do keep all my physical media though. I have considered ditching all my jewel cases and using these:

nice. I might have to look into this more. Sorry DB - i tihnk i may just keep my cds.

Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2013 10:42 pm

Witchfinder wrote:

Screw that. What do you do with singles and digipacks and box sets? No thank you! My OCD can't handle that shit. Haha.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2013 11:34 pm

Don't understand the debate about mp3 vs lossless really. When you are ripping a CD go to rip settings and play around with the formats ripping the same CD in the different formats until you find the right balance of space saving/audio quality, you will very quickly become aware of the difference. Once you have found one that suits your needs, it's all good. If you are heavily into classical music or even Jazz or Prog then you really need more quality due to the complexity of the music.

I like Windows Media Audio lossless, anything less sounds a bit rubbish through my stereo (which is Bose Embarassed )
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Great Rip Off!
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next