Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Great Rip Off!

Go down 
+24
Orion Crystal Ice
80s Metal Lady
Lari
Shawn Of Fire
manny
MetalGuy71
Boris2008
Witchfinder
snooloui
DallasBlack
SpectreFate
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Fat Freddy
Dark Horseman
jstate
krokus
Eyesore
James B.
mc666
A Handful of Wayne
kmorg
GrandNational
exact33
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

The Great Rip Off! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2013 11:50 pm

There is a difference and I try to stay at least at 256 but I don't care that much. Sean is more an audiophile and that's cool.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 3:23 am

exact33 wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
I have 1000 albums on my external hard drive. They are all lossless files. As soon as I get a new cd, I rip it and drop it on the external hard drive. I do keep all my physical media though. I have considered ditching all my jewel cases and using these:

That should save a ton of space and make moving easier.

nice. I might have to look into this more. Sorry DB - i tihnk i may just keep my cds.

Could I at least get your cases? Very Happy On the odd chance I decide to sell some CDs, I can replace the cases with the used price stickers on them and pass them off as CDs bought new (don't know if that improves the buying price but I'm sure Movie Trading Company or Half Price Books aren't going to pay the same for CDs they previously sold used as opposed to CDs that have never been sold used). Plus when I do display them I won't have the annoying stickers on the front.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 10:55 am

I have a few thousand empty jewel cases you can have DB. Just pay for shipping and you can have as many as you want. That goes for anyone else on here reading this. Otherwise, they are going in the trash before my estate sale in May.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 11:07 am

DallasBlack wrote:
exact33 wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
I have 1000 albums on my external hard drive. They are all lossless files. As soon as I get a new cd, I rip it and drop it on the external hard drive. I do keep all my physical media though. I have considered ditching all my jewel cases and using these:

That should save a ton of space and make moving easier.

nice. I might have to look into this more. Sorry DB - i tihnk i may just keep my cds.

Could I at least get your cases? Very Happy On the odd chance I decide to sell some CDs, I can replace the cases with the used price stickers on them and pass them off as CDs bought new (don't know if that improves the buying price but I'm sure Movie Trading Company or Half Price Books aren't going to pay the same for CDs they previously sold used as opposed to CDs that have never been sold used). Plus when I do display them I won't have the annoying stickers on the front.

Get a bottle of this DB...

The Great Rip Off! - Page 3 Goo-gone

Removes sticker residue and Sharpie marks from jewels in a jiffy. A bottle of it will set you back about $3 and last you a lifetime.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 1:17 pm

And MG likes to sniff on his breaks.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 1:41 pm

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
I have a few thousand empty jewel cases you can have DB. Just pay for shipping and you can have as many as you want. That goes for anyone else on here reading this. Otherwise, they are going in the trash before my estate sale in May.

How much would it be for shipping for 20 jewel cases?
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 2:29 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
And MG likes to sniff on his breaks.

It has a pleasant citrus smell. MMMMMMMM-mmmmmmm. Delightful!

Quote :

Under the US Postal Service's new rates for 2013? A billion-ga-jillion dollars. And no delivery on Saturdays anymore.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 2:52 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Under the US Postal Service's new rates for 2013? A billion-ga-jillion dollars. And no delivery on Saturdays anymore.
Dude, I just mailed Locky three packages...

The Great Rip Off! - Page 3 Receipt_zpsf6ffc434

Sad

Last edited by Eyesore on Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 2:55 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

Package delivery will continue on Saturdays, it is one of the few aspects of their business that makes money.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 3:08 pm

S.D. wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Package delivery will continue on Saturdays, it is one of the few aspects of their business that makes money.

I thought I read they were doing away with mail delivery on Saturdays, starting in August. Is my malaria acting up again?

Dammit, where is PhoenixWayne when you need him. He can straighten all this out. He's next in line to the Postmaster General or something isn't he?

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 3:10 pm

Eyesore wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Dude, I just mailed Locky three packages...

The Great Rip Off! - Page 3 Receipt_zpsf6ffc434

Sad

It'd be cheaper to hire a drug mule on Craigslist. Have 'em shove a few cds up his pooper and fly them to Locky personally.

PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 3:18 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

I thought I read they were doing away with mail delivery on Saturdays, starting in August. Is my malaria acting up again?

I read that letter delivery will cease but package delivery will continue, mail will also still be delivered to P.O. boxes on Saturday.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 3:37 pm

I rip all my stuff to 256kbs then store it on my 1TB HDD and am happy. 192kbs is fine as well. But even I can now hear enough of a difference between 128kbs and 192 (& above) that I stopped doing 128 a while back.

128 would save space, but I'm not trying to own everything under the sun.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 4:54 pm

Should I start saving now - for when the Rip Off becomes the Great Sell Off?

Quote :
replace the cases with the used price stickers on them and pass them off as CDs bought new (don't know if that improves the buying price but I'm sure Movie Trading Company or Half Price Books aren't going to pay the same for CDs they previously sold used

I used to be real obsessed with getting price stickers off. But even with Goo Gone it just became too big of a pain. If they don't peel right off easily I just leave'em on. Don't even get me started when they put those things on the digi-packaging.

My local Hastings is funny in that they leave old price stickers on their used stuff all the time. I'm sure they get people arguing "that the price tag says four dollars and you are charging eight". They also are now getting a ton of Best Buy overstock and they leave those Best Buy tags right on there too. In those cases the Hastings price seems like a steal.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 7:59 pm

I just cannot play anything below 192kbps if I already know the album in CD quality. It just sounds lethargic, unenergetic and dull in comparison.

However, without proper headphones or stereo system (like when listening with iphone headphones) I cannot even tell the difference between 128kbps and CD. So I'm definitely no audiophile or anything, nor could I even tell minor differences. But if you have a good stereo system, you shouldn't settle with compressed music. Even I can hear the difference.
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 11:08 pm

I've been converting my cassettes into mp3s. Sometimes just a few songs per album, sometimes entire albums. I already have over 100 cassettes so far that I'll be parting with either in lots on eBay or to Half Price Books for a few cents. I'll be tossing a lot of the compilation cassettes I made back in the day. I don't listen to them anymore and, with mp3 players, the benefits of cassettes (portability, being able to listen to music while dancing or jogging) are no longer relevant. The aesthetic value isn't there either as they usually don't have the artwork that LPs and CDs have. I'll really notice the difference when I start getting rid of the cassette storage cases I have.

I'll then go through my vinyl records. I'll probably keep a lot of them because of the aesthetic value of the packaging, but I'll get rid of some and then onto the CDs. The CDs I'll keep will be mostly for nostalgic reasons (i.e. ones I bought new when I was in college). I don't have near the collection you guys do, but I still have plenty to clear out. It's taken me a long time to get to this point because I've always been attached to material things but, as I get older, I realize there's a difference between things I see everyday and enjoy and stuff that's packed away and never see and practically forget about. It's time to un-clutter my life, and that's my goal for 2013.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 10:02 am

In order to evolve and adapt alongside the newest technology, I've successfully, organically grown 76 additional butts to store my CD collection in. Am I doing it right?
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 12:35 pm

Sure OCI, more butts the better.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 1:54 pm

manny wrote:

It is about 4lbs. I might be able to sneak it out media-mail with the rest of my stuff for $4. Otherwise, Parcel post is around $8.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 1:55 pm

Or, you could just meet me in Ybor on March 20 and you can pick them up for free! You should show up that night anyways.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 2:10 pm

Or, you could just meet me in Ybor on March 20 and you can pick them up for free! You should show up that night anyways.

I will meet you in Y'bor, just remind me on FB when the date approaches
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 2:37 pm

manny wrote:

I will meet you in Y'bor, just remind me on FB when the date approaches

You got it.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 9:30 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
S.D. wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Dammit, where is PhoenixWayne when you need him. He can straighten all this out. He's next in line to the Postmaster General or something isn't he?

Hahaha here I am! Sorry, ever since I got my iphone I haven't been coming here as much. We need to get an HOM app made haha.

But anyway SD is right. They are only getting rid of the mail delivery. Packages will still be delivered. Whos doing that? I have no idea. Theres actually talk that things really aren't official yet. One thing you have to realize about the post office is, don't believe anything that they say until it actually happens. I honestly think they just try to get themselves on the news to get exposure. We still get mail. For a while it was pretty low but I honestly think it has picked up some even magazines as well.

That sucks how much it just cost Ken to ship something to Locky. Really going to think next time I order anything from out of the US. Especially records. I thought $12 was a lot.

Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 10:52 pm

S.D. wrote:
I can hear the difference, but I also know what to listen for. Most people probably wouldn't be able to tell so for those people .mp3 is perfectly acceptable.

But if I was going to archive a collection of anything before selling it (DVDs, CDs whatever) I would want the highest quality possible, since .flac gives you identical quality to the original it would seem like a no brainer.

But I know I'm the only person on this board that gives a shit about this, so I'll stop wasting my time and your time.

I was under the impression that .wav was the highest quality since there isn't any compression. I use goldwave to rip the CD as .wav files for archiving purposes and make 320 mp3's for use. I certainly want the best "copy" of the CD I can get.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 11:36 pm

journeyman wrote:

I was under the impression that .wav was the highest quality since there isn't any compression. I use goldwave to rip the CD as .wav files for archiving purposes and make 320 mp3's for use. I certainly want the best "copy" of the CD I can get.

.wav and .aiff are completely uncompressed but the file sizes are prohibitively large.

"Lossless" files are compressed, but they still contain 100% of the audio information from the original .wav file, there is no difference whatsoever hence the name. The most common types of lossless files are .flac and Apple Lossless.

There is no reason to archive in .wav format, lossless offers you the identical information at just a little over half the file size. The other issue with .wav is that it has no tagging ability, .flac (and Apple Lossless and Windows Media Lossless) on the other hand allows you to save all the metadata including track IDs, song title, composer, etc.

The reason .mp3s are referred to as "lossy" is because to get the audio file down to that size they remove audio information from the original file, as much as 30%. That is why they are fine for portability but unacceptable as an archive format.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Great Rip Off!
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next