Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Great Rip Off!

Go down 
+24
Orion Crystal Ice
80s Metal Lady
Lari
Shawn Of Fire
manny
MetalGuy71
Boris2008
Witchfinder
snooloui
DallasBlack
SpectreFate
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Fat Freddy
Dark Horseman
jstate
krokus
Eyesore
James B.
mc666
A Handful of Wayne
kmorg
GrandNational
exact33
28 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

The Great Rip Off! Empty
PostSubject: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2013 3:12 pm

I have started ripping my cd collection starting in the A's to mp3. I should be done sometime next year!

GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

The Great Rip Off! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2013 3:20 pm

Does the King approve of this? Btw, his eyes are creeping me out.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

The Great Rip Off! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2013 3:23 pm

GrandNational wrote:
Does the King approve of this? Btw, his eyes are creeping me out.

he does indeed! As does Mrs. TheKing

kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

The Great Rip Off! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2013 4:22 pm

I've spent more than 2 years doing this. I am creating a list of my music in Excel as I go along.

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

The Great Rip Off! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2013 4:36 pm

so are you getting rid of your cds?

The King
exact33

The Great Rip Off! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2013 4:58 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:

yep. Once i got them all ripped and buy a couple backups most of them are going.

mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

The Great Rip Off! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2013 6:32 pm

i've been continuously doing this for years. if i could stop buying for a bit, i might actually get finished. unlikely though.

James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

The Great Rip Off! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2013 8:01 pm

The King aka "The Ripper"

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

The Great Rip Off! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2013 2:01 am

exact33 wrote:
I have started ripping my cd collection starting in the A's to mp3. I should be done sometime next year!
Took me over a year to do mine.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

The Great Rip Off! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2013 2:02 am

exact33 wrote:
Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
yep. Once i got them all ripped and buy a couple backups most of them are going.
Wish I could find someone to buy my entire collection at once.
Back to top Go down

The Great Rip Off! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2013 2:41 am

If you are planning to actually sell off your physical collection I would recommend going "lossless" instead so the music you keep is identical in quality to the CDs you are selling. .mp3s are fine for portability, but for actually backing up your collection I would go with either .flac or Apple Lossless.

iTunes also has the ability to convert copies of your lossless files to .mp3 when transferring to your iPod so you have the benefit of both lossless copies on your computer and lossy copies for your portable devices (of only the songs you transfer to the device).

As cheap as hard drives are these days there is no longer any reason to not use lossless files.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

The Great Rip Off! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2013 3:53 am

S.D. wrote:
If you are planning to actually sell off your physical collection I would recommend going "lossless" instead so the music you keep is identical in quality to the CDs you are selling. .mp3s are fine for portability, but for actually backing up your collection I would go with either .flac or Apple Lossless.

iTunes also has the ability to convert copies of your lossless files to .mp3 when transferring to your iPod so you have the benefit of both lossless copies on your computer and lossy copies for your portable devices (of only the songs you transfer to the device).

As cheap as hard drives are these days there is no longer any reason to not use lossless files.
And I would counter that the difference in sound quality is so minimal it doesn't justify the hassle. A 4MB files versus a 40MB file and very little difference in quality? No-brainer.

Everyone is welcome to do what they want, of course. =)
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

The Great Rip Off! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2013 4:24 am

I hope you guys dont regret selling your cd collection because i know that in the past many people regret selling their vinyls during the 90s.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

The Great Rip Off! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2013 4:54 am

krokus wrote:
I hope you guys dont regret selling your cd collection because i know that in the past many people regret selling their vinyls during the 90s.
I highly doubt I will sell mine. I could sell all the rare stuff and make a ton of money, but then I'd be left with thousands of commons, which would just annoy me and make me regret selling the rest.

I think, however, if I sold everything at once, I'd be totally fine with it.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

The Great Rip Off! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2013 8:51 am

Out of curiosity, what price would you sell off your entire collection for?

Really a question for everybody.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

The Great Rip Off! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2013 11:23 am

jstate wrote:
Out of curiosity, what price would you sell off your entire collection for?

Really a question for everybody.
Tough question. I have at least 1,000 albums that could fetch upwards of $100 or more, I would think. That's $100,000. Who would pay that much, though? So I'd have to sell the whole collection for far less. Or sell those 1,000 individually. Either isn't ideal.

Although I've probably a million on it all. Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

The Great Rip Off! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2013 11:30 am

krokus wrote:

I have finally come to terms with the fact that cds take up a ton of space. I am in this for the music and i can get a lot of albums electronically that i wouldnt have the funds to get on physical media. I have to fight the collector urge but i remind myself its the music that matters.

Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

The Great Rip Off! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2013 11:48 am

Ha, i've been doing that for awhile now. Only keep the ones that hold some kind of stupid sentimental value or are worth something.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

The Great Rip Off! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2013 11:51 am

Traitor.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

The Great Rip Off! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2013 11:57 am

Eyesore wrote:

And I would counter that the difference in sound quality is so minimal it doesn't justify the hassle. A 4MB files versus a 40MB file and very little difference in quality? No-brainer.

Never take audio advice from someone who uses 128kbps .mp3 files. Laughing very hard

Last edited by S.D. on Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

The Great Rip Off! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2013 12:01 pm

I have been dl'ing the colletion for years too. I keep having to purchase bigger external drives for lack of room. 140000 songs takes a ton of space. Up to a 2TB drive now.

And selling is a fulltime job in itself. Especially when you refuse to give eVilBay one red cent.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

The Great Rip Off! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2013 12:10 pm

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
I have been dl'ing the colletion for years too. I keep having to purchase bigger external drives for lack of room. 140000 songs takes a ton of space. Up to a 2TB drive now.

And selling is a fulltime job in itself. Especially when you refuse to give eVilBay one red cent.

I havent even really given a thought to how to sell the stuff yet. I am going to rip it first. I doubt after i have it ripped that i would even pull out the cds anymore but ill wait until i am further down the road to see.

Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

The Great Rip Off! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2013 12:18 pm

I have 115,207 songs, at 501GB. Goooooooooooooooo 128kbps!
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

The Great Rip Off! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2013 12:19 pm

Eyesore wrote:

I am ripping mine at 256K. I am ripping my Anubis Gate set right now.

SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

The Great Rip Off! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2013 12:28 pm

S.D. wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Congratulations, you win the "quantity over quality" award for the week. If you can't hear the difference in a 128kbps audio file then you either need to buy a new stereo or need to get your hearing checked. Very Happy

128 is a low bitrate, but you can't tell me (although you probably will) that there is much difference between a 320kbps MP3 and a FLAC file. At that point you're just being particular.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Great Rip Off! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Great Rip Off!   The Great Rip Off! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Great Rip Off!
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next