Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Who Were Your Local Heroes?

Go down 
+17
Glenn Rogers
MetalGuy71
manny
Fat Freddy
DallasBlack
Witchfinder
kethdredd
tohostudios
80s Metal Lady
ohwellmonkey
Sword Of The Heretic
jstate
Red Kitty
ultmetal
kmorg
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Boris2008
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

Who Were Your Local Heroes? Empty
PostSubject: Who Were Your Local Heroes?   Who Were Your Local Heroes? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2013 8:45 pm

We all had them, maybe that local band that you all thought were going to hit it big. Or (in my case) a band that you knew were never, ever going to be playing Madison Square Gardens or Budokan but were just so much fun live that you saw them loads and they were always great.

Mine is this rabble, without any doubt the band that I saw most often in my teens, (I'm not proud, it's just a fact) and to be honest, some of my best gig memories are of this band because no matter what type of metal/rock people were into, we all pretty much loved them.

So all hail the mighty Dumpy's Rusty Nuts!! Very Happy

Dumpy was fantastic frontman! still lives in my town
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Who Were Your Local Heroes?   Who Were Your Local Heroes? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2013 9:05 pm

Uncle Saxon always came off as way ahead of everyone else with all the cool, underground obscure stuff. I still remember when he took the Stryper - Reason for the Season picture disc and whipped it out the window shattering it against a Metro Transit bus on 26th avenue. Yeah - I would say, Uncle Saxon is my local hero.

Or Prince. Not sure which has more talent....
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Who Were Your Local Heroes?   Who Were Your Local Heroes? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 5:20 am

Artch, Witchhammer, Equinox and Cadaver were local heroes here.

PostSubject: Re: Who Were Your Local Heroes?   Who Were Your Local Heroes? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 12:21 pm

Wrathchild America, they were closest thing to local heroes you could get in the eastern panhandle of WV.

Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Who Were Your Local Heroes?   Who Were Your Local Heroes? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 12:23 pm

In the early 80's we all thought these guys were going to take the world by storm

They were packing out every place they played. It's unfortunate that the right label never picked them up.

One local band we all thought would be huge was Twisted Sister. They did eventually become big years later.

Of course there was NY thrashers...

In college in upstate NY it was Uncle Sam

and

Dirty Looks

Dirty Looks managed to gain some success. Uncle Sam, not so much.

PostSubject: Re: Who Were Your Local Heroes?   Who Were Your Local Heroes? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 12:25 pm

Dirty Looks used to play in the Baltimore/D.C. area all the time, I remember seeing them at Hammerjacks a couple times.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Who Were Your Local Heroes?   Who Were Your Local Heroes? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 12:40 pm

S.D. wrote:
Dirty Looks used to play in the Baltimore/D.C. area all the time, I remember seeing them at Hammerjacks a couple times.

They traveled all over the place. They started out in LA, moved to Pennsylvania (which is where I originally heard about them) and then settled into Rochester, NY, where I believe Henrick lived until he died a couple years ago. They released three albums on their own before finally signing with Atlantic Records and releasing "Cool from the Wire", which I think was a Gold Record. For whatever reason, their follow-up "Turn of the Screw" just didn't fare well and they were dumped onto one of Atlantic's sub-labels and basically buried by the label. Too bad because their next record "Five Easy Pieces" was fantastic. However, with no tour support, no label push, and released right at the beginning of the grunge revolution, the album tanked.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Red Kitty

Number of posts : 1006

PostSubject: Re: Who Were Your Local Heroes?   Who Were Your Local Heroes? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 12:57 pm

Not metal....but without a doubt...Donnie Iris and the Cruisers.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Who Were Your Local Heroes?   Who Were Your Local Heroes? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 1:36 pm

I'll tell you one band that my friends and I detested that was a 'local hero' for many, BON JOVI! He was the posterboy for a poser when I was a teenage metal head growing up in New Jersey. To this day his music doesn't jive with me probably due to that negative attitude I had for the band growing up.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Who Were Your Local Heroes?   Who Were Your Local Heroes? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 4:51 pm

Aside from Wrathchild, aka Wrathchild America, aka Souls At Zero we had Kix and Child's Play.

One I always loved and actually got to see in a backyard show once - Mystic Force. Still can't figure out how these guys weren't huge.

Over in D.C. we of course had Fugazi and the Bad Brains. I also thought Jawbox was going to be huge in the alternative scene of the 90's. In a just world they would've been.
Back to top Go down
Sword Of The Heretic
Metal master
Metal master
Sword Of The Heretic

Number of posts : 602

PostSubject: Re: Who Were Your Local Heroes?   Who Were Your Local Heroes? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 5:02 pm

Living Sacrifice from the great state of Arkansaw
Back to top Go down
ohwellmonkey
Metal student
Metal student
ohwellmonkey

Number of posts : 118

PostSubject: Re: Who Were Your Local Heroes?   Who Were Your Local Heroes? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 6:23 pm

My local hero is definitely uncle Saxon. Even if he has cut his hair and planning on relocating to part unknown.
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: Who Were Your Local Heroes?   Who Were Your Local Heroes? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 7:37 pm

When I was a kid growing up near Sacramento, I thought it was so cool to listen to the local band Sentinel Beast on a cassette copy with xeroxed label (which I still have). I just recently found out Tesla is from Sactown. I never cared much for them.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Who Were Your Local Heroes?   Who Were Your Local Heroes? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 7:44 pm

Since I've lived in 5 states, I have several "local heroes".
Growing up in a suburb of Philly, my favorites were The Hooters (who went on to be pretty successful) and Robert Hazard.
When I moved to Tennessee, I adopted the country/punk/hard rock sounds of Jason and the Nashville Scorchers (who also went on to enjoy some decent success).
When I moved to Missouri, Nine Inch Nails was just getting big so Missouri's own Gravity Kills started to break but fizzled just about as fast as they started.

Metal master
Metal master
kethdredd

Number of posts : 559

PostSubject: Re: Who Were Your Local Heroes?   Who Were Your Local Heroes? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 8:10 pm

Kix and Childs Play.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Who Were Your Local Heroes?   Who Were Your Local Heroes? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 8:26 pm

kethdredd wrote:
Kix and Childs Play.
Obviously a son of the Charm City. Laughing

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7611

PostSubject: Re: Who Were Your Local Heroes?   Who Were Your Local Heroes? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 9:06 pm

Chastain - obviously he had a bit of success with Chastain, CJSS and his solo stuff.

Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Who Were Your Local Heroes?   Who Were Your Local Heroes? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2013 3:38 am

For Dallas, it would definatly be Pantera.

This band though not a big name has a pretty good underground following:

King Diamond lives in Dallas (though not from here). However, Dennis Ward (PC69/Place Vendome/Unisonic/Khymera/etc.) is apparently from Dallas. How he ended up with a German band, I have no clue.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
kethdredd
Metal master
Metal master
kethdredd

Number of posts : 559

PostSubject: Re: Who Were Your Local Heroes?   Who Were Your Local Heroes? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2013 7:25 am

tohostudios wrote:
kethdredd wrote:
Kix and Childs Play.
Obviously a son of the Charm City. Laughing

Close enough. Virginia specifically, the DC/Baltimore area is one big megalopolis anyways.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37645

PostSubject: Re: Who Were Your Local Heroes?   Who Were Your Local Heroes? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2013 9:05 am

The guys in Trixter went to my high school (Paramus HS in Paramus, NJ), so they were pretty much the "local heroes" even though I was never a huge fan. When it came to bands representing Jersey, I always preferred Overkill and the Misfits.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Who Were Your Local Heroes?   Who Were Your Local Heroes? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2013 9:06 am

Easy one to answer, Savatage then later on Death and Morbid Angel among others.

Another band, I did not care for was Stranger who were huge, even signed to Columbia Records in 1982, and released one album on the label.

Roxx Gang for a short while, live pretty cool glam band, their label on the major label was a bit lame
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Who Were Your Local Heroes?   Who Were Your Local Heroes? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2013 10:58 am

Since I've already mentioned Heaven's Edge in the "One & Done" thread, I'll move onto 2 others from my hometown that just missed the big time.

Blackeyed Susan - Electric Rattlebone
This was "Dizzy" Dean Davidson's post-Britny Fox band that also had ex-Cinderella keyboard player Rick Crinitti (on guitar) in it's ranks. It wasn't too-far removed from the bluesy rock of Britny, but more Stones/Aerosmith/Black Crowes rock and less emphasis on the glam look. The members of the band used to hang out at Tower Records allot. Well worth it if you can find a copy.

Next was Tangier. They released 2 albums Four Winds and Stranded. Both albums are decent enough, but nothing mind-shattering. Bluesy hard rock. Their debut album got a little bit of a push from radio and MTV, and I think Tom Keifer may have had some involvement (producer?) with them, but by the time the 2nd album rolled out, the train moved on and their brand of "hair metal" was kicked to the curb. Mike LeCompt (who also had his own band "LeCompt"), the lead vocalist on the 2nd album went to the same high school as me (although he's older) and still plays around the Philly & South Jersey area. Back in the day, he was a coked-out douche, but he's mellowed since then from what I've heard. I think the bass player from Britny Fox played in his solo band for a spell too.

I had both Tangier's albums at one point, but ended up selling them both off on ebay for way, way more than I paid for them. They were ok, but more of a third-rate Badlands. The 'hair metal" era was getting too saturated with all the same sounds/looks and Tangiers fit right into that category.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37645

PostSubject: Re: Who Were Your Local Heroes?   Who Were Your Local Heroes? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2013 11:08 am

^^ I had the 2nd Tangier album (on cassette) back in the day, bought it after I saw them open for Extreme at L'amour in Brooklyn, NY. Turned out they were far better live than on record, I was impressed by their show but the album did nothin' much for me.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Who Were Your Local Heroes?   Who Were Your Local Heroes? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2013 11:27 am

Can't believe I forgot about Joan Jett. I hope she still comes back to play the National Anthem at Orioles games. I never knew she was a Marylander until one day at the old Memorial Stadium I was doing my usual pre-game ritual of getting player autographs when all of a sudden Joan Jett comes out. Got her to sign a ball which I then left in my parent's attic to completely fade away from the heat.
Back to top Go down
Glenn Rogers
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Glenn Rogers

Number of posts : 1069

PostSubject: Re: Who Were Your Local Heroes?   Who Were Your Local Heroes? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2013 11:37 am

For me the band Sound Barrier,and Vic Johnson (The Bus Boys,Sammy Hagar guitarist)
Vic lived in the neighborhood and I became friends with him. He took me to a lot of shows when I was just starting out. Thats how I met Sound Barrier.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/finaldecreeofficial/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who Were Your Local Heroes?   Who Were Your Local Heroes? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Who Were Your Local Heroes?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: