Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Local Mania for local bands...

Go down 
+6
Fat Freddy
325ad
A Handful of Wayne
Required Fields
stormspell
Telmorn Altayon
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Telmorn Altayon
Metal student
Metal student
Telmorn Altayon

Number of posts : 121

Local Mania for local bands... Empty
PostSubject: Local Mania for local bands...   Local Mania for local bands... Icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 3:25 pm

First off, what makes a local band? Is it a band that is not signed? How about a band that just plays locally and never ventures out? For the sake of argument, let us say a local band is just a band that has not gotten signed to a label large enough to get them distribution or world wide press. With that said, let's also concentrate on metal bands that are local and keep the rapping down to a minimum of none lol.

I will start off. One of my favorite local bands is Phoenix Reign. I think this band has a lot to offer as a band while still being stuck somewhere in limbo. After finding out that they've been around for over 10 years and still not signed blows my mind. If you have a chance look them up, they're from NY. I mean sometimes you catch them on stage and it's magical, and other times you just kind get it. Either way, I think this band is fun to watch and should be signed by now. I guess it all comes down to motivation or making the right moves at the right times. I wish them luck and hope in the future. Their music is really good, if their stage shows sometimes fall off the map. If anything, this band should be a studio band and make album after album and market that. Maybe that will help them, who knows...

Another local band I like is Martyrd. This is a very metal band that has also been pushing for about 10 years or more. I love their music and they have been playing some really big shows. Again, they are not signed.

What is keeping these good bands, and bands like them, from getting signed? Is it really even worth being signed in this day and age? Maybe they missed their chance, or maybe that's a really great thing. Because this is the age of computers where people can market themselves all day long on the computer for free or money. I'd really love to hear your opinions on this, and see what bands you like on the local scene. Maybe with a little luck we'll help push their names some and get them noticed.

Peace in harmony, until again...
~ Telmorn Altayon
Dio
Back to top Go down
http://www.MakeARightLeftHere.com -- www.BBRProductions.com
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: Local Mania for local bands...   Local Mania for local bands... Icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 5:34 pm

Good thread!

PHOENIX REIGN are welcome to join Stormspell's roster anytime they want Local Mania for local bands... 591800

MARTYRD - Cool dudes, awesome oldschool thrash! I was supposed to release their debut album several years ago. Anyone who has seen the self-released cdrs of Maniac knows what the artwork looks like. I wanted to update it, and that's when we butted heads with Michael. To cut the story short, he rejected two renditions I've commissioned consecutively from Tom Martin (Lich King artist), and then another take from Alan Lathwell, and this pretty much put a solid bar in the wheel of this project. A shame really coz the music is godly (with Aaron's voice being an acquired choice for some).

As a result, I havent been able to enjoy Maniac ever since as I still get this bitter taste of disappointment in my mouth. One of the best 2008 albums for sure.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28438

PostSubject: Re: Local Mania for local bands...   Local Mania for local bands... Icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 5:47 pm

Here is where I discuss Unbidden. A local death metal band who released their debut, Slaughtering the Vile, earlier this month. I am actually listening to the album right now.

They are also very cool guys in person.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Telmorn Altayon
Metal student
Metal student
Telmorn Altayon

PostSubject: Re: Local Mania for local bands...   Local Mania for local bands... Icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 6:09 pm

@StormSpell... Thanks StormSpell, yeah I hear you with that man. When things go south it's not that fun. But I like that you still know how good they are even if you had an unhealthy moment with a band. I respect that highly good sir. When you say your roster, what are you talking about, do you promote shows or something? Also, Aaron's voice is something you either like or not, but his stage presence is very metal, and he has a great look for the stage. As far as these bands getting signed, it's just up to the right moves, and not having an ego expressing one's actions, but knowing you are good but still supporting kindness. I mean, that's my view on it, I could be wrong. lol

@Required Fields... Unbidden, how long have they been around, and are they close to being signed? If not, I wonder why? I will have to check them out.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28438

PostSubject: Re: Local Mania for local bands...   Local Mania for local bands... Icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 6:20 pm

Telmorn Altayon wrote:
@Required Fields... Unbidden, how long have they been around, and are they close to being signed? If not, I wonder why? I will have to check them out.

Unbidden were known as The Bloodletting from around 2006 or so until 2008.

They are listed on the webpage of a record label called Boonsdale Records, but the back of their album says nothing about Boonsdale Records, nor is Boonsdale Records referenced in the album booklet. Regardless of whether the album was self released or was released by a label, Slaughtering the Vile is awesome.

A live performance of their song Cast the Stone (the first little bit of the song is missing):
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Telmorn Altayon
Metal student
Metal student
Telmorn Altayon

PostSubject: Re: Local Mania for local bands...   Local Mania for local bands... Icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 7:38 pm

[quote="Required Fields"]
Telmorn Altayon wrote:

Unbidden were known as The Bloodletting from around 2006 or so until 2008.

Damn!!! They are heavy. Solid man. I found them on Facebook and added them as a like. Thanks for the heads up. Support and keep the scene a live my friend.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Local Mania for local bands...   Local Mania for local bands... Icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 7:39 pm

stormspell wrote:
Good thread!

PHOENIX REIGN are welcome to join Stormspell's roster anytime they want Local Mania for local bands... 591800

MARTYRD - Cool dudes, awesome oldschool thrash! I was supposed to release their debut album several years ago. Anyone who has seen the self-released cdrs of Maniac knows what the artwork looks like. I wanted to update it, and that's when we butted heads with Michael. To cut the story short, he rejected two renditions I've commissioned consecutively from Tom Martin (Lich King artist), and then another take from Alan Lathwell, and this pretty much put a solid bar in the wheel of this project. A shame really coz the music is godly (with Aaron's voice being an acquired choice for some).

As a result, I havent been able to enjoy Maniac ever since as I still get this bitter taste of disappointment in my mouth. One of the best 2008 albums for sure.

lol! now we are welcome? Well if you want me to send you stuff let me know I can have it arranged. That is of course after I find out if there even is a Phoenix Reign since I haven't seen them in over 3 months. We did however record a new song though. Not sure if you heard it or not. I posted it on the board a few months back.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

PostSubject: Re: Local Mania for local bands...   Local Mania for local bands... Icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 8:55 pm

@Phoenix: did I ever turned off a release offer on you? scratch

Now, if I've turned an offer to buy your own stock for the distro, that's another matter. I quit doing this long time ago - the label has been consuming all my available funds and then some, so the only way I carry distro items anymore is via trade. I just don't have time and resources to move both label and distro. I'm pushing on the label now, and the distro is left dying slow and painful death Smile

P.S. I don't think I have heard the new song, link please?

Last edited by stormspell on Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

PostSubject: Re: Local Mania for local bands...   Local Mania for local bands... Icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 9:27 pm

Regarding MARTYRD I want to make it clear they are great dudes and Michael offered to cover for all accrued expenses, so I hold no grudge whatsoever. I only feel regret we couldn't work it out. It would have been an awesome release. I still get random distributors asking about it now and then (It has been promoted on one of Stormspell adverts in Metal Maniacs or Decibel as upcoming release back in 2008).
Back to top Go down
Telmorn Altayon
Metal student
Metal student
Telmorn Altayon

PostSubject: Re: Local Mania for local bands...   Local Mania for local bands... Icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 9:35 pm

stormspell wrote:
Regarding MARTYRD I want to make it clear they are great dudes and Michael offered to cover for all accrued expenses, so I hold no grudge whatsoever. I only feel regret we couldn't work it out. It would have been an awesome release. I still get random distributors asking about it now and then (It has been promoted on one of Stormspell adverts in Metal Maniacs or Decibel as upcoming release back in 2008).

You really are a good person... Keep up all you do for helping out bands making something of themselves.

Peace in harmony, until again...
~ Telmorn Altayon
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Local Mania for local bands...   Local Mania for local bands... Icon_minitimeThu Nov 25, 2010 12:39 am

stormspell wrote:
@Phoenix: did I ever turned off a release offer on you? scratch

Now, if I've turned an offer to buy your own stock for the distro, that's another matter. I quit doing this long time ago - the label has been consuming all my available funds and then some, so the only way I carry distro items anymore is via trade. I just don't have time and resources to move both label and distro. I'm pushing on the label now, and the distro is left dying slow and painful death Smile

P.S. I don't think I have heard the new song, link please?

Yea but maybe that was why though. I don't remember it was so long ago haha. I'll look for the link its here somewhere.

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Local Mania for local bands...   Local Mania for local bands... Icon_minitimeThu Nov 25, 2010 12:41 am

here it is

http://www.4shared.com/audio/lW64Czsr/01-Alexander_-_with_drums.html

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

PostSubject: Re: Local Mania for local bands...   Local Mania for local bands... Icon_minitimeThu Nov 25, 2010 3:18 am

I'm pretty sure by the time I've approached you already had the album self-released and all we discussed was distribution.

The tune is great - classic metal with epic overtones. Can't go wrong with songs for Macedonia! Very Happy Write 3 more of the same length and we can have an album! headbanger
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Local Mania for local bands...   Local Mania for local bands... Icon_minitimeThu Nov 25, 2010 9:57 am

Hahaha DONE!

Metal master
Metal master
325ad

Number of posts : 532

PostSubject: Re: Local Mania for local bands...   Local Mania for local bands... Icon_minitimeWed Dec 01, 2010 12:38 am

This is an interesting question, One I asked Bob Rock once and he said the difference between a signed band and unsigned is about 10 minutes or connections Meaning that being in the right place at the right time, or knowing someone who knows someone is really what it takes for a band to get a break.

I know of almost every band from Oklahoma since this is where I live and I hit the scene as much as I can. So when a band like Crooked X or Hinder hit, it chaps my butt because I know they have not paid their dues. and I can only conclude the latter.

I suggest if you know of a band that is touring in your area, contact them or their management and ask if you can open for them for little to no money. This is a move about making an Impression on the headlining band and perhaps their label.

Another thing I would recommend is get to know who manages who. Alot of management groups will take on a quality unsigned band knowing that with their ( the management companies ) connections they can get a band signed to a record deal and later put out on the road.

Last edited by 325ad on Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37645

PostSubject: Re: Local Mania for local bands...   Local Mania for local bands... Icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 5:16 pm

I never leave the house these days so I don't even know what local bands are in my area anymore. When I was still an active club-concert attendee, they all seemed to be cover bands anyway.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Local Mania for local bands...   Local Mania for local bands... Icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 2:53 pm

I'm not too keen on the local metal scene, much more into the local hardcore punk scene, the shows are much more enjoyable.
Back to top Go down
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1773

PostSubject: Re: Local Mania for local bands...   Local Mania for local bands... Icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 12:29 am

Martyr is a band that surprises me. I have seen them opening for a bunch of metal bands and even THE MISFITS. I wonder how they get to be there opening for so many important concerts.

PHOENIX REIGN is another great bands from the area, I which the best for them and their members.

Some friends from my town have been playing their instruments for a couple of years, and yesterday they had their first concert. I went very well, they played like if they had experience in concerts, their drum had problems with making the mics work, but they fixed at the right time.
Their name is MORDER(thrash, prog, death- like carcass or death band), and I am helping them with their LOGO design at the moment.

If anyone has connections around NJ, and NY for concerts, record a demo cheap, promotions, etc. Led me know.
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

PostSubject: Re: Local Mania for local bands...   Local Mania for local bands... Icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 2:41 am

Go to PDP Productions. It is a bit up north from NY, but definitely within driving distance. It is very affordable and indy friendly studio run by Lich King drummer Brian Westbrook.

http://pdpproductions.com/

Audio samples: http://soundcloud.com/pdprecording
Back to top Go down
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1773

PostSubject: Re: Local Mania for local bands...   Local Mania for local bands... Icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 8:58 am

stormspell wrote:
Go to PDP Productions. It is a bit up north from NY, but definitely within driving distance. It is very affordable and indy friendly studio run by Lich King drummer Brian Westbrook.

http://pdpproductions.com/

Audio samples: http://soundcloud.com/pdprecording
Oh cool bro, i'll let them know, these guys are very talented, I know they can go somewhere, they just need the right help.
Later next sunday, I am going to another concert they are having, and I am bringing my camara to record it. SO I am going to share their concert here, and write a review of the band
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Local Mania for local bands...   Local Mania for local bands... Icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 10:05 am

Still need to get the Phoenix Reign CD. Ugh! So much great music, so little money and time to listen to it all.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Local Mania for local bands...   Local Mania for local bands... Icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 9:22 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Still need to get the Phoenix Reign CD. Ugh! So much great music, so little money and time to listen to it all.

I too am behind in aquiring that one because of the factors you mentioned.

Here in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area we have Aska who play good traditional metal. They have been around for a long time but still remain an indy band. I would have not known about them had I not made a blind purchase at Best Buy. I have 3 albums from them but that's about all I can get seeing as a lot of their catalogue is out-of-print and probably won't be reissued do to their indy status.

I also know of Seasons Of The Wolf which I discovered when I got an CD in a bargain section of my local used CD store. Not a local band here (the're from Flordia) but a band I got two albums and they contain a unique blend of metal. A progressive blend of traditional metal, gothic, and doom. Apparently some people have called it "Psycho-Hippie-Doom-Metal".

I have some other indie CDs but most of them are not much of note.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Local Mania for local bands...   Local Mania for local bands... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Local Mania for local bands...
Page 1 of 1