Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

how is your local used cd shop?

Go down 
+13
Required Fields
stormspell
sovdat
GrandNational
SideShowDisaSter
MetalGuy71
kmorg
Fat Freddy
Rex
ultmetal
Hamer12
Thrasher73
mc666
17 posters
AuthorMessage

how is your local used cd shop? Empty
PostSubject: how is your local used cd shop?   how is your local used cd shop? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2007 1:58 am

i am from Seoul, South Korea

in my city, there are some used CD shops, but most of them is terrible.

the most serious problem is that the shop owners don't know the value of album. (especially metal music), so they used to name most CDs to same price regardless of their rarities. price is usually $10. so if i am so lucky, i can get any rare CD for low price, but that is very rare case. most cases i could not find any interesting CDs over there. as the shop owners don't know the value, nobody is willing to sell their valuable CDs to them. and also since most buyers are familiar with the price $10, they are not willing to pay more than $10 for any used CD. it is a vicious circle.

some Korean collectors used to go to Tokyo, Japan to buy CDs. i have also been to Tokyo two times before just to buy CDs. Japanese used CD shops are great, their price is so various. it seems they know the value.

i have been to Manhattan New York before, and i tried to find any used CD shop. yeah i found a shop! but most was hip-hop. 🤘
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: how is your local used cd shop?   how is your local used cd shop? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2007 2:11 am

The ones where I live are ok, nothing really great.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: how is your local used cd shop?   how is your local used cd shop? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2007 2:18 am

i have no complaints.. its exactly what i'd expect from a used cd shop. it's a great place to hang out, at the very least.

PostSubject: Re: how is your local used cd shop?   how is your local used cd shop? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2007 8:06 am

Here in Cincinnati, the cd store are just your basic used cd shops. But sometimes you can find a gem. I found Sacred Reich--the american way for $7 last week (finally!!)
For those of you in this area---in Hamilton, Ohio there is Galaxy cds--which has been stocking more and more metal over the last few years. In Erlanger, KY there is Phil's Books--who stocks a ton of new/used metal music, and up in New Carlisle, Ohio there is Headquaters Music--which is nothing but metal.

My all time fav is back home in Chicago:

Metal Haven.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: how is your local used cd shop?   how is your local used cd shop? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2007 8:36 am

Nothing great really.Ocassionally they have some good stuff,but for the most part its usually Top 40 stuff
Back to top Go down
Hamer12
Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

PostSubject: Re: how is your local used cd shop?   how is your local used cd shop? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2007 9:04 am

We have 1 store locally that I have used for many years, the owner knows what i want & will save them for me & call me to come get them, I spend about 50 bucks a month there.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: how is your local used cd shop?   how is your local used cd shop? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2007 9:09 am

We have a few good local shops, although most of them are a good 30-40 minute drive from where I live. There is a chain store called Hastings about 5 minutes down the road from my home. It use to have a great used selection but has since become crap.

We have a record/CD show that is in a hotel ballroom every other month or so that is GREAT! Lots of sellers from around the Southwest come in for that one.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: how is your local used cd shop?   how is your local used cd shop? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2007 9:50 am

The closest local shop is about 25 minutes away from home (but so is everything else, lol). The next closest one that I know of that's good is about an hour away. That one was awesome! It has a HUGE metal selection.

But both places are kind of high in price. I rarely go to the further one anymore. But I stop in the closer one simi-regular since I work pretty close to it (usually to try and sell cds). But I almost never buy anything from them unless I get enough credit from sell backs because they are more expensive than other chain stores or ordering online. This particular place seems to stock more metal that I don't like, where as the other further place stocks more that I did like. But by the time I figure in the time and gas money to get to that other store, I'd be spending waaay more than I would if I'd just order it off the net.

So since I'm not rolling in money and time is precious to me these days, I'm stuck with pretty much stuck with Best Buy, Target, or ordering online.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

PostSubject: Re: how is your local used cd shop?   how is your local used cd shop? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2007 9:55 am

I live in an area totally barren of decent CD stores (Sob!), but when I can get to it, there's a store about 40 mins. from me called "Music Connection" that specializes in all forms of rock n roll, metal, hardcore, punk, etc. ... I've been shopping there for over a decade and I always find something there that I can't live without...

I used to work in an office that was located near three different used CD stores that were all within a five minute drive from my building, I made many quick lunch-time trips during those days... then they transferred me to a new building stuck in the middle of an industrial park with nothin' around... story of my life (sigh)
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: how is your local used cd shop?   how is your local used cd shop? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2007 10:34 am

Used CD in Norway costs almost as much as a new CD in the US. We only have 1 local used CD shop, but they are also acting as an online auction plae, so most of their CD's go online. I frequent both places, but lately they seem to have been emptied out of all the good stuff (wonder who cleaned them out? Razz )

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: how is your local used cd shop?   how is your local used cd shop? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2007 10:45 am

There used to be 5 independant used shops that I frequented in my general area. 4 have closed up in the last 3-4 years. The last one standing is pretty decent, although recently the owner has been getting in more dvd's, which re-sell better I guess, and it's starting to take up cd space. Most cd's sell for $7-8 bucks, nothing over $10 (double cd's excluded). A few months back, the owner (an older gentleman) had health issues and limited his store hours. If he dies, I would imagine his shop goes down with him.

The local FYE retail store has a pretty big used section, but you need to slog through alot of slop to find something good.

While we're on the topic, in early July, I will be in Denver, Colorado for a business conference. Anyone know of any good shops in the area that I can visit while I have some downtime?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: how is your local used cd shop?   how is your local used cd shop? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2007 10:46 am

I'm fairly ok, I mean used cd shop (Rasputins) 10 minutes away and then if I want to trek to Berekley (20 minutes away) They have two of the biggest used cd store I've even seen. Another Raputins and Ameoba. There is also one in SF, which is about a half hour to a hour away depending of traffic.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: how is your local used cd shop?   how is your local used cd shop? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2007 10:53 am

I've been to the Ameoba in Hollywood. That place is INSANE!! I had to leave after nearly 4 hours. I was in a daze.
Back to top Go down
Hamer12
Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

PostSubject: Re: how is your local used cd shop?   how is your local used cd shop? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2007 11:02 am

There used to be a store in Dallas called Bills Records, the first time I went in I spent over $600 bucks, that was the most awesome place I had ever seen, If I had more money I would have spent it too. It closed about 3 years ago.
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4601

PostSubject: Re: how is your local used cd shop?   how is your local used cd shop? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2007 12:14 pm

When I was in Chattanooga, I had 3 used CD shops that were pretty good. I would usually find something rare every few weeks.

Here in Memphis it has been a drag. Only 2 used CD shops, and both of them RARELY have anything all that great.

PostSubject: Re: how is your local used cd shop?   how is your local used cd shop? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2007 1:20 pm

You may not get good used CDs in Korea, but when I lived there (Gunsan/Kunsan), I found tons of killer metal imports for cheap, most with bonus material! That's a pretty sweet trade-off, if you ask me.

Maybe Seoul is different, but in Gunsan and Osan there were a lot of shops that catered to metal. They loved it. It was really cool going there. I remember seeing a band called Seoul Mothers live (I even have their self-titled CD). It was quite an experience. It was me (white dude) and my roommate (Mexican dude) and bunch of Koreans! Haha. We had a blast, though.

Anyway, Boston is awesome for used stuff. I find CDs for $2 and less all the time. You can't beat it.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: how is your local used cd shop?   how is your local used cd shop? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2007 2:40 pm

Most of the used cd shops have closed here in LA, but there is a really good one that actually expended called CD Trader about 7 miles from where I live.
Back to top Go down
sovdat
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1786

PostSubject: Re: how is your local used cd shop?   how is your local used cd shop? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2007 2:40 pm

I'm buying CDs for something less than 10 years now, and all 3 CD shops
around here closed in that time. Their offer was horrible as well, if
you tried to get something else than Metallica or Iron Maiden. And the
other stores (I'm talking about the entire Slovenia now, 'cause you can
get everywhere in let's say max. 6 hours): very bad, normally just
stuff from bigger labels, for $20 a piece. There are some used CD
shops, and I'm lucky if I get something for $10 there. Usually nothing
breathtaking is to be found there as well, but I got some cool,
normally not rare stuff like The American Way, My Friend Lonely, Insane
Society, Fit to Be Tied and so on.
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: how is your local used cd shop?   how is your local used cd shop? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2007 3:01 pm

I used to go to Rasputin time to time and have found some nice finds, but recently there are so many "eBay re-sellers" browsing through every store around it is not worth the time anymore
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28414

PostSubject: Re: how is your local used cd shop?   how is your local used cd shop? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2007 3:02 pm

M-Bulldozer wrote:
The ones where I live are ok, nothing really great.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: how is your local used cd shop?   how is your local used cd shop? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2007 11:28 pm

They suck here metal is not that big except with some locals!

Wargod48
Back to top Go down
arttieTHE1manparty
Administrator
arttieTHE1manparty

Number of posts : 863

PostSubject: Re: how is your local used cd shop?   how is your local used cd shop? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 09, 2007 12:02 am

Nonexistent. We have a pawn shop, and one "used CD store" that is a joke, as pretty much everything there is consignment only, so it is expensive and not very well stocked.

Arttie
Back to top Go down
http://christianmetalrealm.niceboard.com
Jedilink
Metal student
Metal student
Jedilink

Number of posts : 136

PostSubject: Re: how is your local used cd shop?   how is your local used cd shop? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 1:18 am

The used cd shop in my town is non-existant! OH BOY! I have to drive out of town to buy music! It's like 40 minutes away! Unless a BIG band releases something like Megadeth, then I can get it at Wal-Mart. Other than that, there's NOTHING around here! Best Buy is about it as well. Although Best Buy is 40 minutes away. Ughs. I've started just going to the net to order cd's it seems....Sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/jedilink

PostSubject: Re: how is your local used cd shop?   how is your local used cd shop? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2007 2:43 am

The closets ones to me in Phoenix are Metal Devastation and Zia. Zia has some good stuff as for Metal Devastation I've never been there I just know it's here but I was on there website and It looked like some good Black Metal.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: how is your local used cd shop?   how is your local used cd shop? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2007 5:40 am

in england there are used vinyl shops that may sell cds as well but in general there is nothing around wherei live exept for one shop that i have never seen open that sells used stuff
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: how is your local used cd shop?   how is your local used cd shop? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

how is your local used cd shop?
Page 1 of 1