Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Does your local library have metal cd's?

Go down 
+19
Glower
stevegarveyfan
brokentulsa
Gilbert
James B.
MetalGuy71
deathisgain
80s Metal Lady
Lari
DallasBlack
Shawn Of Fire
nevermore
jstate
thejokeriv
Orion Crystal Ice
Required Fields
TheGreatDuck
Fat Freddy
Hadley
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 991

Does your local library have metal cd's? Empty
PostSubject: Does your local library have metal cd's?   Does your local library have metal cd's? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 9:29 am

Someone on another thread mentioned that their library carried metal cds. Does yours? Sadly, ours doesnt, with the only thing even remotely resembling metal is a steve vai compilation. Back when i lived in NH (i now live in MS) the library didnt really carry metal either, though they did have the VH greatest hits album, Led Zep IV, Issues by /youknowwho/, and the Mission Impossible 2 soundtrack which did have some metal bands on it.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37645

PostSubject: Re: Does your local library have metal cd's?   Does your local library have metal cd's? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 9:31 am

My library doesn't have any CDs at all, though you can reserve them from other libraries in the local area and have them shipped to our town's. I've never bothered to dig into the CD selection(s) very deeply, though I do it quite often with movies because my library's DVD selection is rather piddly.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

PostSubject: Re: Does your local library have metal cd's?   Does your local library have metal cd's? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 10:13 am

Hmm...The library in my town has no CDs at all, however, the library in the neighboring city which I also frequent does have some Maiden, Priest, Metallica, Ozzy, Sabbath, Dio, Death, Helloween, Avantasia, Yngwie, Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax, WASP, Venom, Running Wild, Virgin Steele (which I couldn't find anywhere!), Manowar, Alice in Chains, Within Temptation, Nightwish, Sepultura, Motorhead, Exodus, Overkill, Kreator, Testament, Children of Bodom, Soundgarden, Iced Earth, Hammerfall, Dream Theater, Queensryche, Stratovarius, Saxon, Apocalyptica, Lacuna Coil, Nightwish, Deep Purple, Rush, King Diamond and some others.

Also got some CDs from Croatian metal bands such as Osmi putnik, Divlje jagode and Ultimatim. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28438

PostSubject: Re: Does your local library have metal cd's?   Does your local library have metal cd's? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 10:17 am

No, they don't have a CD rental section. But they do have Metal: A Headbanger's Journey in their DVD rental section.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Does your local library have metal cd's?   Does your local library have metal cd's? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 10:36 am

I've found some pretty good fusion and metal gems at our libraries here, not droves of them but some stuff was surprising and stuff I haven't seen in the stores. The DVD section is ridiculous. That whole area makes me feel guilty though since I'm kind of participating in the erosion of a literate culture when I only visit the library to get DVD's. lol!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37645

PostSubject: Re: Does your local library have metal cd's?   Does your local library have metal cd's? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 10:41 am

Quote :
That whole area makes me feel guilty though since I'm kind of participating in the erosion of a literate culture when I only visit the library to get DVD's.

Laughing very hard I feel the same way, if my local library didn't have DVDs I probably wouldn't visit there anywhere near as often as I do...though I have been on a reading kick over the past month or two, in fact I'm returning one book there on my way home and picking up another one.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Does your local library have metal cd's?   Does your local library have metal cd's? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 11:46 am

Never really checked the CD selection! They have a decent DVD/Blu-Ray selection, which I would use if I didn't already pay for Netflix. You can also have stuff from other branches sent over. I have checked out from the X-Box/Wii and now Wii U selection.

Next time I am there I'll see what CD's they have on hand. I'm there at least every two weeks as my kids are good readers and always checking out books.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Does your local library have metal cd's?   Does your local library have metal cd's? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 11:51 am

Mine has a AC/DC Black Ice tribute cd. Along with the typical oldies/standards and some of the modern rock bands that get a lot of ink from the music press. I did score a bunch of Roger Waters CDs one time when they were weeding them out. They actually stamped them "Weeded Out". No idea why they would get rid of them.

When I was growing up in Maryland the Annapolis library had the motherlode. And not only cassettes but cds as well. That was one cool library.

Years ago I read something about the music industry agreeing to donate to public libraries as part of some pricing settlement. Never so that materialize around here.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25863

PostSubject: Re: Does your local library have metal cd's?   Does your local library have metal cd's? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 2:45 pm

My local library doesn't carry cds.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Does your local library have metal cd's?   Does your local library have metal cd's? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 3:09 pm

The library close to where I used to live in Kentucky used to carry vinyl (back in 1986) and I would check out Kiss, Kansas & others and dub to tape...

I never go to the library, but I doubt the tiny branch near my house carries CDs to check out...

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Does your local library have metal cd's?   Does your local library have metal cd's? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 3:13 pm

Not sure. Next time I take my dad to the library, I'll check it out.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6336

PostSubject: Re: Does your local library have metal cd's?   Does your local library have metal cd's? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 4:47 pm

There's an awesome music section at my local library. A ton of metal, both mainstream and marginal bands. I've found a lot of out of print CDs there.

If you don't find what you want at that exact library, you can use their website to have it shipped to the library nearest you. Everything is free of charge, of course. You get the CD for two weeks at a time.

Just to give you an idea, I typed "Judas Priest" and found 70 different available CDs. There's multiple copies of most items, too, so usually you don't have to queue long in the waiting list. For new CDs there's usually a short waiting time though because they are more popular. If I recall correctly you only get a new CD (not sure of the definition) for one week at a time, and if you want it for more you go back in line.

I've discovered a ton of great bands by visiting the library, including Saxon, Savatage, King's X and a bunch of smaller bands. I used to just go and pick a dozen discs by name and band logo, bring them home, play at least a track or two from each and decide if I want to hear the rest.

I don't really go there that often anymore though. I own way too many CDs to bother actively searching through shelves of CDs I may or may not like.
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: Does your local library have metal cd's?   Does your local library have metal cd's? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 6:51 pm

Since I moved, there is a library within walking distance from where I live, but I never go there because I have enough records, CDs, cassettes, books, video games, videos, and DVDs to last me a long time.

Way back in the day (early 1980s), my local library in my home town had AC/DC's For Those About to Rock We Salute You on vinyl right on display. I was really intrigued by it, because they were one of the bands (like KISS) my parents didn't want me to listen to at the time. To me it was "Wow! The library has AC/DC!"
Back to top Go down
deathisgain
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
deathisgain

Number of posts : 285

PostSubject: Re: Does your local library have metal cd's?   Does your local library have metal cd's? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 9:59 pm

Our local library has some. The cool thing is that most of Georgia is networked, so I can go online, look up in their database, and have it shipped to my local library at no charge. Sweet setup.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathisgain.com
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Does your local library have metal cd's?   Does your local library have metal cd's? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 5:49 pm

I haven't been in a public library since I graduated college, so I have no idea what they might have. This certainly gives me a reason to go venture into one soon though. There is one not far from home.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12620

PostSubject: Re: Does your local library have metal cd's?   Does your local library have metal cd's? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 10:55 pm

would a library has "plastic" cds

at least I think they are plastic ?

Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9885

PostSubject: Re: Does your local library have metal cd's?   Does your local library have metal cd's? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 1:24 am

Back in Paris, there was this library, GIBERT JOSEPH, who had a huge metal section.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6336

PostSubject: Re: Does your local library have metal cd's?   Does your local library have metal cd's? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 6:31 am

Gilbert wrote:
Back in Paris, there was this library, GIBERT JOSEPH, who had a huge metal section.
I think that's just a bookstore though. Or rather, a chain of bookstores. Libraries borrow their stuff for free.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Does your local library have metal cd's?   Does your local library have metal cd's? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 11:14 am

Our library does not have Cd's but they do have one of the best collections of metal books I have ever seen. They have books on everyone from Iron Maiden to Thin Lizzy to Judas priest as well as alot of 80s bands like U2, Prince and Devo. (sidebar...they also have a huge selection of graphic novels and science fiction)
Back to top Go down
stevegarveyfan
Metal master
Metal master
stevegarveyfan

Number of posts : 613

PostSubject: Re: Does your local library have metal cd's?   Does your local library have metal cd's? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 12:39 am

My librarian actually likes metal, and one of his favorite metal bands is Saxon. He makes sure that the library carries some metal. There are several Saxon CDs that can be checked out, as well as some Rush. There are other metal titles available I believe, but right now I can't recall which ones they are.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3172

PostSubject: Re: Does your local library have metal cd's?   Does your local library have metal cd's? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2014 1:13 pm

I donated a bunch of classic heavy metal cd's - Motley Crue, Dokken, Ratt, KISS -
well it turns out - 6 months later - talking to the chick at the desk -
someone stole them out of the cd holders - figures - punks ! LOL -
I was stooooooopid !
Back to top Go down
sovdat
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1786

PostSubject: Re: Does your local library have metal cd's?   Does your local library have metal cd's? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2014 5:27 pm

I checked at my local library 15 years ago when I was getting into metal: they didn't have any but clerk suggested me the closest comparison, which was Aerosmith's Big Ones, and was pretty cool Smile I also remember borrowing one Deep Purple best of, and then several years later they got Maiden's Rock in Rio (put a BIG library label directly onto the 1st page of booklet, incredible ...) and that was about it.
Back to top Go down
Thelemech
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Number of posts : 4009

PostSubject: Re: Does your local library have metal cd's?   Does your local library have metal cd's? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2014 5:33 pm

My library has some metal CDs - mostly Black Sabbath and Nu-metal along with Metalcore.
Back to top Go down
Dr8breed74
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Dr8breed74

Number of posts : 291

PostSubject: Re: Does your local library have metal cd's?   Does your local library have metal cd's? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2014 5:52 pm

I live in South Wales, UK. The local library in my town is used more as a creche than a library. It's sad because it's in a good location and the book selection is quite good. I've not seen a music selection anywhere - most people seem fairly clued up with the MP3 format.
Back to top Go down
https://krullrecords.bigcartel.com/
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9885

PostSubject: Re: Does your local library have metal cd's?   Does your local library have metal cd's? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2014 12:04 pm

Pardon my question but there are no "libraries" around here. Do you get to rent cds?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does your local library have metal cd's?   Does your local library have metal cd's? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Does your local library have metal cd's?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next