Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album.

Go down 
+16
James B.
Fat Freddy
Addy
DallasBlack
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Vexer6
tohostudios
ultmetal
Dark Horseman
manny
jettafiend
T-Roy
MetalGuy71
SpectreFate
ZombieHavoc
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album.   Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2013 8:45 am

S.D. wrote:
I'm not sure if I've ever heard either of these records all the way through, I was SO burned out on Appetite getting played literally to death (I still can't tolerate it all these years later) that I never bothered.

I do like November Rain though, great arrangement.

What he said. (the "I never bothered" part anyway, not the "still can't tolerate Appetite all these years later" part)

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album.   Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2013 8:52 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
S.D. wrote:
I'm not sure if I've ever heard either of these records all the way through, I was SO burned out on Appetite getting played literally to death (I still can't tolerate it all these years later) that I never bothered.

I do like November Rain though, great arrangement.

What he said. (the "I never bothered" part anyway, not the "still can't tolerate Appetite all these years later" part)

I bothered quite a bit. I was in 8th grade, and had been hopped up on the fumes of Appetite and Lies for the past 4 years. I could not WAIT for UYI. I bought the "You Could Be Mine" cassingle, b/w "Civil War" and wore it out.

I saved my lunch money for a few weeks so I could afford both Illusion cassettes. My dad worked nights at the time, and on release day, he stopped at the Sound Warehouse near our house on his way home from work and picked them up for me.

I was a little disappointed at the time, though. Later, I'd grow to appreciate them overall a lot more, but at the time it was not straightforward enough for me.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album.   Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2013 8:56 am

Quote :
I bothered quite a bit. I was in 8th grade, and had been hopped up on the fumes of Appetite and Lies for the past 4 years. I could not WAIT for UYI. I bought the "You Could Be Mine" cassingle, b/w "Civil War" and wore it out.

I dunno why I never bothered picking up the UYI's, cuz I didn't hate what I heard from them, but for whatever reason I just never got around to it. I've often thought about going back and re-investigating 'em all these years later but still haven't done it. Too many other CDs in front of 'em on the never-ending shopping list, I guess.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:03 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album.   Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2013 8:59 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :

I dunno why I never bothered picking up the UYI's, cuz I didn't hate what I heard from them, but for whatever reason I just never got around to it. I've often thought about going back and re-investigating 'em all these years later but still haven't done it. Too many other CDs in front of 'em on the never-ending shopping list, I guess. .

I hear that. There are so many records I would like to check out...sadly, many of them I will probably never hear. There's just so much stuff, and more coming out all the time.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album.   Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2013 3:44 pm

ZombieHavoc wrote:
I actually do like most of the songs on both albums.

I just agree with what Ult said about if it had been widdled down to one solid record, it would be considered far more of a classic. I know they are still considered classic rock n roll records, but not like Appetite (though, I don't think anything they did would've been able to end up being viewed like Appetite).

And many of the songs, while good, just slow down the momentum of the albums.

And "My World" does suck, but I have so much fun listening to it. One day I will make a comp of all the rock bands doing bad rap songs in the early/mid 90s. GNR, Duff from his solo record, Danger Danger, Obituary...I know there are more.

I actually liked the Danger Danger one. Of course I like early Beastie Boys and that song was done in a very similar style. That era of rap was actually fun unlike the rap that was to come later. Besides, it was the last song on the album so it's easy to skip it.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album.   Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2013 3:46 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
ZombieHavoc wrote:
I actually do like most of the songs on both albums.

I just agree with what Ult said about if it had been widdled down to one solid record, it would be considered far more of a classic. I know they are still considered classic rock n roll records, but not like Appetite (though, I don't think anything they did would've been able to end up being viewed like Appetite).

And many of the songs, while good, just slow down the momentum of the albums.

And "My World" does suck, but I have so much fun listening to it. One day I will make a comp of all the rock bands doing bad rap songs in the early/mid 90s. GNR, Duff from his solo record, Danger Danger, Obituary...I know there are more.

I actually liked the Danger Danger one. Of course I like early Beastie Boys and that song was done in a very similar style. That era of rap was actually fun unlike the rap that was to come later. Besides, it was the last song on the album so it's easy to skip it.

I enjoy listening to all of the ones I listed. I don't think they are very good, but they are fun.

I do think the DD is probably the best though. I like all the references and such.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album.   Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2013 4:22 pm

speaking of "rap" sign

Before "Chineses Democracy" hit the streets and I was seein' Axl sportin corn rows. The ol' imagination got the better of me and kinda expected some "rap" sign to be on it. To my surprise there wasn't any, but instaed we got another form of Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album. - Page 2 288219

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album.   Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2013 4:39 pm

James B. wrote:
speaking of "rap"

Before "Chineses Democracy" hit the streets and I was seein' Axl sportin corn rows. The ol' imagination got the better of me and kinda expected some "rap" to be on it. To my surprise there wasn't any, but instaed we got another form of Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album. - Page 2 288219

Has this ever been a good look for anybody since Bo Derek?

Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album. - Page 2 Axl2

Rumor has it that there are unfinished tracks from the mid/late 90's that have Shaquile O'Neal rapping on them. No joke. The album took so long to make that the trend of rap-rock came and went before Axl got a chance to jump on that bandwagon.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album.   Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2013 6:43 pm

Wow nobody else is playing.......
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album.   Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2013 7:17 pm

Addy wrote:

I dig "Appetite" cause its a snapshot of a certain part of my life. Makes a difference when one can relate to the subject matter of every song in a personal manner. I dig "Lies" cause it shows two seperate sides of the band at that time. I purchased both UYI albums and can't remember the last time I played either one, both sides back to back.

So my lack of "playing" is due to not really being familar with the material.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album.   Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 6:08 am

I was just referring to how quick this thing got derailed

shame....
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album.   Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 6:27 am

Addy wrote:
I was just referring to how quick this thing got derailed

shame....

This is HoM. Thread de-railing is pretty much a given. lol!

As for me, I love the hits from the albums but not much familiar with the lesser know tracks. I only recently got both albums (and Appetite for that matter-I was content with a Greatest Hits CD but in recent years I found all three very cheap).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album.   Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 7:54 am

SpectreFate wrote:
If you cut those albums down to one I would only have one coaster.

dude, that is very uncalled for!! Shame on you. Disc Golf works much better..... cheers
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album.   Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 8:47 am

Happy to say I don't own a single GnR album!!!!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album.   Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 9:54 am

Addy wrote:

Well, if I had to, I'd drop 'My World' and 'Breakdown' from UYI II. And maybe the alternate version of 'Don't Cry'. Use Your Illlusion I is perfect the way it is.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album.   Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 10:59 am

I very rarely ever listen to these two albums and there is a myriad of reasons. First, "I" think there is a ton of filler. Second, I love the raw feeling of "Appetite", whereas the "Use Your Illusion" albums are way too overproduced. Third, I miss Steven Adler, but I understand the reasons for him getting canned. The fourth reason, from 1991-93, I was so sick of seeing Axl Rose sitting down with the likes of Kurt Loder or Tabitha Soren on MTV. Axl would be smoking his beatnik cigarette, sitting there like he was some philosophical genius out of the 1920's, all the while perpetuating this second coming of Bono. As soon as he tried to get analytical, I felt compelled to turn the station, yet for some strange reason, I would continue to watch. As the interview would progress, Soren would attempt to become Sigmund Freud, and Axl would try to be something he was not, compelling...

I love the first G.N.R. record, I really enjoy Slash; his candidness. I've always felt Steven Adler to be a sympathetic figure. Duff McKagan has always come across as a really cool guy, and Izzy Stradlin...well he's more or less the Howard Hughes of the rock world, a recluse. Then you have Axl, who I loathe, and who I have to bash before any question is ever answered about this band. He brings out the worst in me.Very Happy

I can tell you the tracks that I think should be a part of one record, but I couldn't tell you in what order they should be. It's too painstaking to decide on what the proper ebb and flow should be of those tracks. But here they are:

1. You Could Be Mine
2. Estranged
3. Locomotive
4. Pretty Tied Up
5. Knockin' On Heaven's Door
6. Yesterdays
7. Civil War
8. Coma
9. The Garden
10. Right Next Door To Hell
11. Back Off Bitch
12. Live And Let Die
13. November Rain
14. Don't Cry

Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album.   Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 7:43 pm

I forgot bout the Garden.....

The only tracks on the YUI albums I really dont like are both covers Live and Let Die and Knocking on Heavens door both got way overplayed.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album.   Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2013 4:04 am

I actually thought about this very thing the other day, as I was listening to UYI 1 atwork. Never got around to actually write diwn a tracklist though.

PostSubject: Re: Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album.   Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album. - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Combining Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 into one album.
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2