Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Horror metal

Go down 
+11
Required Fields
James B.
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Troublezone
Leatherface
mc666
Fat Freddy
DallasBlack
tohostudios
Eyesore
kmorg
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

Horror metal Empty
PostSubject: Horror metal   Horror metal Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 3:26 pm

So, heavy metal and horror movies have pretty much always gone hand in hand. Heck, the very origin of the genre came fom a band naming themselves after a horror movie, namely Black Sabbath.

Still, some bands have gone that extra mile in merhing metal and horror, the so called horror metal bands. Lizzy Borden is a good example if such a band.

So, what is your favorite horror metal band?

And here is my latest discovery in the "genre", Prowler!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Prowler-Metal/151137794901489?sk=app_2405167945

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Horror metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horror metal   Horror metal Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 3:41 pm

I'll take recommendations here, too. I'm always looking for stuff to review in Shock Totem. Prowler will be in there once I get the albums. (Though I will have to point out that their taste in cover art is poopy. Haha.)

Seems like a lot of bands that lean toward the horror genre (as specifically horror not just writing dark lyrics) are rockabilly/punkabilly type bands. The best, in my opinion, being Ghoultown.

Gotta love a band that finally gave Elvira a real theme song!
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Horror metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horror metal   Horror metal Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 4:57 pm

SInce this thread has the word "metal" in the title, I assume we're excluding some obvious horror bands like The Misfits and Alice Cooper. Off the top of my head, that leaves me with:

Lordi

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Horror metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horror metal   Horror metal Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 5:01 pm

Would 69 Eyes count? They're definitely "horror" but I'm not sure they're "metal" enough for this thread.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

Horror metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horror metal   Horror metal Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 5:02 pm

tohostudios wrote:
SInce this thread has the word "metal" in the title, I assume we're excluding some obvious horror bands like The Misfits and Alice Cooper.

Nah, use the metal term as loose as you want to. I'm not that picky Very Happy

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Horror metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horror metal   Horror metal Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 5:05 pm

OK, then I give you The 69 Eyes and "Frankenhooker":

If you've ever seen the movie "Frankenhooker" the lyrics make more sense.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Horror metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horror metal   Horror metal Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 5:07 pm

King Diamond of course. And if I'm not mistaken, isn't most of Cannibal Corpse's songs about Zombies? And if The Misfits count, then there's Grave Robber.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Horror metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horror metal   Horror metal Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 5:09 pm

Oh, also White/Rob Zombie .
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Horror metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horror metal   Horror metal Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 5:09 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
King Diamond of course. And if I'm not mistaken, isn't most of Cannibal Corpse's songs about Zombies? And if The Misfits count, then there's Grave Robber.

Good call with Grave Robber.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Horror metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horror metal   Horror metal Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 5:11 pm

Also how about White Zombie/Rob Zombie. While not exclusively horror-themed, a lot of their music is.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37647

Horror metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horror metal   Horror metal Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 5:39 pm

One word: GWAR!!!!!

/end thread.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Horror metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horror metal   Horror metal Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 5:51 pm

Necrophagia, Mortician, Impetigo, Repulsion, Deceased. all have exclusively horror themed lyrics.

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Horror metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horror metal   Horror metal Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 5:53 pm

mc666 wrote:
Necrophagia, Mortician, Impetigo, Repulsion, Deceased. all have exclusively horror themed lyrics.

Yeah, I almost posted "Just about anything MC666 listens to." Wink

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 18939

Horror metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horror metal   Horror metal Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 6:04 am

Rigor Mortis
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

Horror metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horror metal   Horror metal Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 7:02 am

Deceased / Oct 31.

Last edited by Troublezone on Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

Horror metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horror metal   Horror metal Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 7:07 am

Cannibal Corpse are definitely horror. Although I'm not really a fan of their vocals.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

Horror metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horror metal   Horror metal Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 10:16 am

I will stick with Tipper Gore's favorite band, and friends of mine - IMPALER!

30 years strong and still gigging and recording.

Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12622

Horror metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horror metal   Horror metal Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 10:32 am

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
I will stick with Tipper Gore's favorite band, and friends of mine - IMPALER!

30 years strong and still gigging and recording.

I only have vinyl for "If We had Brains....We'd Be Dangerous"

Seen them while I was up gigging in Washington or Oregon ? late 86'. Didn't know whether to laugh at them or with them. I had fun though.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

Horror metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horror metal   Horror metal Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 11:13 am

Yeah - Definitely not a band that takes themselves seriously. I mean, Bill Lindsey has had his son on stage for the last 12+ years - just to kick the crap out of him every night! haha.

I have more stories about Impaler than I can even remember.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28447

Horror metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horror metal   Horror metal Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 1:03 pm

Leatherface wrote:
Rigor Mortis

I was just about to mention them, actually.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Horror metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horror metal   Horror metal Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 2:00 pm

Wednesday 13:

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Horror metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horror metal   Horror metal Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 2:06 pm

Murderdolls

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

Horror metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horror metal   Horror metal Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 2:06 pm

HOODED MENACE

DRUID LORD

SKELETAL SPECTRE

WOODEN STAKE

ACID WITCH

Back to top Go down

Horror metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horror metal   Horror metal Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 2:12 pm

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Horror metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horror metal   Horror metal Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 10:17 am

tohostudios wrote:
Wednesday 13:

That was unexpected. I thought these guys were more along the lines of Marilyn Manson. Maybe the look, but the music was more rocking than I expected. Interesting.

I'd second the recommendation of Ghoultown. I believe it was Eyesore that hipped me to those guys and they quickly became one of my favorites in the genre. I'm listening to them now as a matter of fact.

Horror metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horror metal   Horror metal Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Horror metal
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: