Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Who has seen RONNIE JAMES DIO live?

Go down 
+40
ResedaCountryClub
assault_attack
Wrecked Neck
candlemass
Animal
Lurideath
labrekk
MetalGuy71
SAHB Healer
sheets
Citanul
fingers
mr.electric39
stepcousin
Shawn Of Fire
Red Kitty
Boris2008
Spiner202
Alex Dee Rokket
Troublezone
ultmetal
ShadowAngel
allthingsmetal
Fat Freddy
nevermore
manny
BearOnUnicycle
Lari
kmorg
martinsane
metalheaded
metalken
scottmitchell74
CRIMSONMASK
James B.
Witchfinder
thejokeriv
DallasBlack
Required Fields
Chrome Locust
44 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Spiner202
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 283

Who has seen RONNIE JAMES DIO live? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Who has seen RONNIE JAMES DIO live?   Who has seen RONNIE JAMES DIO live? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 7:02 pm

I saw Heaven and Hell on the tour with Alice Cooper and Queensryche. At the time, I was only aware of Alice Cooper. To this day, I regret the fact that I didn't know any of the songs and generally was not all that impressed with the band. Unfortunately, Sabbath were a band that it took me a long time to get into. Now, I'm happy to say I saw him, but disappointed that I didn't really enjoy it.

Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Who has seen RONNIE JAMES DIO live?   Who has seen RONNIE JAMES DIO live? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 8:20 pm

I saw him at Donnington 1987 but I was deep into my 'I only listen to thrash' phase so was only really there to see Metallica and Anthrax. I was also very very drunk by the time Dio came on so I can't remember too much. I should probably listen to the record.

Wish that I'd seen him with Rainbow, that would have been amazing but I was too young.
Back to top Go down
Red Kitty
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Red Kitty

Number of posts : 1006

PostSubject: Re: Who has seen RONNIE JAMES DIO live?   Who has seen RONNIE JAMES DIO live? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 9:04 pm

I've seen him multiple times:

08/84: Pittsburgh Civic Arena (Last in Line Tour - Twisted Sister opened)
09/85: Pittsburgh Civic Arena (Sacred Heart Tour)
07/02: Chicago (opened for Scorpions and Deep Purple)
12/02: Chicago (House of Blues)
05/07: Chicago (Heaven and Hell)
08/08: Chicago (opened for Judas Priest)
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Who has seen RONNIE JAMES DIO live?   Who has seen RONNIE JAMES DIO live? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 8:20 am

The closest I have ever, or will ever, come to seeing RJD sing live is on DVD. Crying or Very sad

Dio

Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 367

PostSubject: Re: Who has seen RONNIE JAMES DIO live?   Who has seen RONNIE JAMES DIO live? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 4:26 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
I saw him at Donnington 1987 but I was deep into my 'I only listen to thrash' phase so was only really there to see Metallica and Anthrax. I was also very very drunk by the time Dio came on so I can't remember too much. I should probably listen to the record.

Wish that I'd seen him with Rainbow, that would have been amazing but I was too young.

Don't kick yourself brother - I've blown many a gig by being too out of it. I missed the entire AC/DC show in 1990 by being so drunk and waking up at the end - then in 1987 I mised Anthrax and Metallica by being so drunk - I was there but not there if you know what I mean? The only reason I woke up to see the last Metallica song at that gig was a few lads who had a grudge with me decided to start kicking lumps out of me while I was unconscious - I guess I should thank them for waking me to see Metallica walk off the stage Wink

I've blown other gigs like that for being such a dumb substance abuser as a kid - best not to live with the what ifs. Plus, it doesn't bother me too much, but it sure as f,uck bothered other people, I had access to the Snake Pitt passes for Metallica in 1991 (I'm no Metallica fan since Puppets) declined the acceess, stayed for one song and walked off back to the pub. YEAH!
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Who has seen RONNIE JAMES DIO live?   Who has seen RONNIE JAMES DIO live? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 1:04 am

Saw him in 1984 on the Last In Line tour. I'll never forget it.
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: Who has seen RONNIE JAMES DIO live?   Who has seen RONNIE JAMES DIO live? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2013 1:25 am

I saw him in 2004 with Maiden and Motorhead....

Now I love Dio, but I don't love hearing thirty seconds of one tune and then jump right into something else, ect, ect.....

His performance is STELLAR, but it just seemed that it was one medley after another....

That was disappointing.... Sorta like that Live album that came out a couple of years ago .... They list all these tracks, but there in a MEDLEY....not the full songs....

Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Number of posts : 815

PostSubject: Re: Who has seen RONNIE JAMES DIO live?   Who has seen RONNIE JAMES DIO live? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 6:31 am

I saw him live with Heaven and Hell back in 2007
Back to top Go down
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: Who has seen RONNIE JAMES DIO live?   Who has seen RONNIE JAMES DIO live? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 7:46 am

I missed out on seeing him - Dio was set to tour South Africa at the end of 2001 together with Motorhead and Jerusalem, but it ended up being cancelled in the wake of 9/11 and none of the bands ended up coming then or any time since.
Back to top Go down
sheets
Metal master
Metal master
sheets

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: Who has seen RONNIE JAMES DIO live?   Who has seen RONNIE JAMES DIO live? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 2:01 pm

I saw him on his final tour with H&H/Sabbath. His performance was nearly flawless as was the rest of the band's, and I think the only way it could have been better is if they'd played Sign of the Southern Cross in addition to the other classics.

I'm sorry it took me so long but I'm very glad I did see him perform live. His death hit me pretty hard because I feel like he hadn't given us everything he had left to offer when he was taken.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Who has seen RONNIE JAMES DIO live?   Who has seen RONNIE JAMES DIO live? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 6:39 pm

Just once, in about 2000, with Doro Pesch and Yngwie Malmsteen opening.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Who has seen RONNIE JAMES DIO live?   Who has seen RONNIE JAMES DIO live? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 5:56 pm

I got to see him live on the Heven & Hell tour in '07(?). He was in fine voice for it.

Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 64

PostSubject: Re: Who has seen RONNIE JAMES DIO live?   Who has seen RONNIE JAMES DIO live? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 12:01 am

Ronnie James Dio was my fave singer. I saw him live multiples times over the years.
I would have loved to see Rainbow back in the day as well...

DIO
1984, with Twisted Sister opening
1985, with Rough Cutt
1987, with Megadeth and Savatage
1998, opening for Iron Maiden, with Dirty Deeds playing before
2002, with Voivod (back to back shows in Quebec City and Montreal)

BLACK SABBATH
1992, with Exodus

HEAVEN & HELL
2007, with Megadeth and Down

He was always flawless live, lots of stage presence, killer performer. I miss him...If only he was still with us, we'd have a 2nd Heaven & Hell album to listen, and most likely a final Dio disc as well...R.I.P.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3891

PostSubject: Re: Who has seen RONNIE JAMES DIO live?   Who has seen RONNIE JAMES DIO live? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 2:44 pm

Saw him in 88 with Megadeth and Savatage in LA, and again with Heaven and Hell twice here in Vegas
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37614

PostSubject: Re: Who has seen RONNIE JAMES DIO live?   Who has seen RONNIE JAMES DIO live? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 2:46 pm

Required Fields wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Unfortunately I never got the chance to see RJD in the flesh. The last time he came thru my area was when Heaven and Hell toured with Judas Priest (which was what, 2008? 2009? I don't remember now), and my brother asked if I wanted "in" when he bought tickets but unfortunately I was too damn broke at the time, so I passed, saying "I'll catch'em next time." Of course, there was no next time. I've been kicking myself ever since.

I remember on another board I post at, someone had the same story about George Carlin.

Now that you mention it... I never got the chance to see George Carlin live either. Sad

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Animal
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 29

PostSubject: Re: Who has seen RONNIE JAMES DIO live?   Who has seen RONNIE JAMES DIO live? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 3:53 pm

March 1982 with Sabbath at Braden Auditorium at Illinois State University, with Wrabit opening.

July 1986 at the Peoria Civic Center with Accept opening.

May 1994 at the Madison Theatre in Peoria.
Back to top Go down
Animal
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 29

PostSubject: Re: Who has seen RONNIE JAMES DIO live?   Who has seen RONNIE JAMES DIO live? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 3:57 pm

Chrome Locust wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:

Don't kick yourself brother - I've blown many a gig by being too out of it. I missed the entire AC/DC show in 1990 by being so drunk and waking up at the end - then in 1987 I mised Anthrax and Metallica by being so drunk - I was there but not there if you know what I mean? The only reason I woke up to see the last Metallica song at that gig was a few lads who had a grudge with me decided to start kicking lumps out of me while I was unconscious - I guess I should thank them for waking me to see Metallica walk off the stage Wink

I've blown other gigs like that for being such a dumb substance abuser as a kid - best not to live with the what ifs. Plus, it doesn't bother me too much, but it sure as f,uck bothered other people, I had access to the Snake Pitt passes for Metallica in 1991 (I'm no Metallica fan since Puppets) declined the acceess, stayed for one song and walked off back to the pub. YEAH!

I had a friend who drank at least half a fifth of Evan Williams, at least a 6 pack of beer, and some wine before a Scorpions/Iron Maiden/Girlschool concert at the Prairie Capital Convention Center in Springfield, IL, in July 1982. He passed out twice, missing Girlschool's opening set, and puked no less than 7 times, including all over a local McDonald's, where the manager threatened to "personally kick his ass to the Moon" if he ever saw him again.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Who has seen RONNIE JAMES DIO live?   Who has seen RONNIE JAMES DIO live? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2018 8:04 am

Sacred Heart and Dream Evil tour, then Dehumanizer and Heaven and Hell in 07. I regret missing the Master of the Moon tour, really love that album!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: Who has seen RONNIE JAMES DIO live?   Who has seen RONNIE JAMES DIO live? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2018 2:58 pm

Saw him a few times, always a great show. First time was the Dream Evil tour, third row center, ended up in the front for most of the show. My cousin almost punched the security guard from pumping his fist to the music. Dude wasn't pleased lol I'll never forget Craig Goldy blowing up that spider thing coming out of the ceiling during his guitar solo.

Next time I saw him was in a small club in support of the Magica album. Thing that always stands out for me on that show was, they played their heart out and gave one hell of a show. How he could go from one of the top acts in metal, to playing small clubs and still giving you the best show you could ask for speaks volumes to his character imo.

Next time I saw him was when he opened for Motorhead and Iron Maiden. Great show, but I would have rather had Maiden not show up that night, Bruce was being a little bitch talking shit about America and really should have shut his trap.

Saw him twice more while with the H&H tours. Always amazing,and a dream come true. Dio era Sabbath is great music, but I was a couple years too young to catch them back then, and I missed the Dehumanizer tour for some reason, so when they got back together again, there was no way in hell I'd miss them again.

Out of all the bands I've seen live, Dio ranks as my top favorite performers I've seen hands down. The man knew how to make each and every show seem special.
Back to top Go down
assault_attack
Metal master
Metal master
assault_attack

Number of posts : 688

PostSubject: Re: Who has seen RONNIE JAMES DIO live?   Who has seen RONNIE JAMES DIO live? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2018 2:13 am

I had to use this to refresh my memory. http://www.dio.net/tour/

So, I saw Dio 15 times. Rainbow twice. Black Sabbath 3 times, Heaven & Hell 3,  Dio 7 & Elf 0.

Rainbow Rising tour was one of my favorite shows ever! Some friends and myself saw Dio's 1st show ever in Concord, Ca. Craig Goldy was in the opening band, Rough Cutt.. Good times.

I had the chance, Almost to see Elf open for Deep Purple. I had friend who had a ticket but wasn't sure if he could go, But in the end he went. Sold out show & I was to young to drive so I did not want to go and end up not getting in..

Dio
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: Who has seen RONNIE JAMES DIO live?   Who has seen RONNIE JAMES DIO live? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2018 2:40 am

assault_attack wrote:
I had to use this to refresh my memory. http://www.dio.net/tour/

So, I saw Dio 15 times. Rainbow twice. Black Sabbath 3 times, Heaven & Hell 3,  Dio 7 & Elf 0.

Rainbow Rising tour was one of my favorite shows ever! Some friends and myself saw Dio's 1st show ever in Concord, Ca. Craig Goldy was in the opening band, Rough Cutt.. Good times.

I had the chance, Almost to see Elf open for Deep Purple. I had friend who had a ticket but wasn't sure if he could go, But in the end he went. Sold out show & I was to young to drive so I did not want to go and end up not getting in..

Dio
Wow, that's so Fking cool! That link is awesome too. The shirt I have from the Magica tour for some reason doesn't have the Phoenix date on it. Kinda cool to see it listed on the site at least. Pisses me off that we didn't sell out the venue, it wasn't very big, but damn that was a great fking show.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6319

PostSubject: Re: Who has seen RONNIE JAMES DIO live?   Who has seen RONNIE JAMES DIO live? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2018 9:57 am

assault_attack wrote:
I saw Dio 15 times.

That's both crazy and awesome.
Back to top Go down
ResedaCountryClub
Metal novice
Metal novice
ResedaCountryClub

Number of posts : 86

PostSubject: Re: Who has seen RONNIE JAMES DIO live?   Who has seen RONNIE JAMES DIO live? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2018 4:34 pm

I saw Dio hop on stage with Rough Cutt and do some songs with them. I also saw Dio open for Iron Maiden (Blaze era) and blow them off of the stage.
Back to top Go down
https://www.spreaker.com/show/hard_rocking_trivia_show
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3163

PostSubject: Re: Who has seen RONNIE JAMES DIO live?   Who has seen RONNIE JAMES DIO live? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2018 6:28 pm

I was intrigued when I heard his "Rainbow in the Dark" song.
It was rather easy to play on guitar and sing to ( High School band )

I had RAINBOW ' Long Live Rock and Roll ' album -
Then the big Heaven and Hell release - by the new Sabbath - huge news !

Saw the Sacred Heart tour.
I remember - before the lights went down - seeing the dragon prop -
I also heard - a minute or two - before hitting the stage -
he'd take one huge hit of marijuana -

David Fienstien was his cousin - etc -
always thought he wrote this song about DIO -
Perhaps sour grapes, at the time, but the RODS did a tune with Dio - later on

Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9872

PostSubject: Re: Who has seen RONNIE JAMES DIO live?   Who has seen RONNIE JAMES DIO live? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2018 12:49 am

Which I had seen the legend live. I have the feeling he was very nice to his fans. A friend of mine once met Ronnie and told me that he was a very sweet and classy man.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who has seen RONNIE JAMES DIO live?   Who has seen RONNIE JAMES DIO live? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Who has seen RONNIE JAMES DIO live?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next