Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Top 20 Los Angeles Metal albums (from the LA Weekly)

Go down 
+14
DallasBlack
ultmetal
dark avenger
jstate
krokus
Dark Horseman
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
TheGreatDuck
exact33
Wurthless
mc666
Fat Freddy
James B.
tohostudios
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Top 20 Los Angeles Metal albums (from the LA Weekly) Empty
PostSubject: Top 20 Los Angeles Metal albums (from the LA Weekly)   Top 20 Los Angeles Metal albums (from the LA Weekly) Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2012 5:55 pm

Interesting list (aside from a couple head scratcher choices), just don't expect to find any of the glam/hair bands here. They also don't count Metallica because of how early in their career they moved to San Fran.

http://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/2012/10/top_20_la_metal_albums_20_-_11.php

1. Slayer - Reign In Blood
2. Megadeth - Rust In Peace
3. System Of A Down - Toxicity
4. Tool - Aenima
5. Saint Vitus - Born Too Late
6. Fear Factory - Demanufacture
7. W.A.S.P. - W.A.S.P.
8. Avenged Sevenfold - Waking The Fallen
9. Megadeth - Peace Sells...But Who's Buying?
10. Slayer - Seasons In The Abyss
11. Megadeth - Countdown To Extinction
12. Suicidal Tendencies - Join The Army
13. Terrorizer - World Downfall
14. Cryptic Slaughter - Convicted
15. Beowulf - Beowulf
16. Dark Angel - Darkness Descends
17. Armored Saint - Symbol Of Salvation
18. Slayer - South Of Heaven
19. Saint Vitus - Saint Vitus
20. Cirith Ungol - King Of The Dead

Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Top 20 Los Angeles Metal albums (from the LA Weekly)   Top 20 Los Angeles Metal albums (from the LA Weekly) Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2012 5:58 pm

S.D. wrote:
Interesting list (aside from a couple head scratcher choices), just don't expect to find any of the glam/hair bands here.

BOOOOO!!!! Razz

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12630

PostSubject: Re: Top 20 Los Angeles Metal albums (from the LA Weekly)   Top 20 Los Angeles Metal albums (from the LA Weekly) Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2012 6:06 pm

The blogger has smoked to much medical marijuana (IMHDO)

No Armored Saint or Lizzy Borden surprised

I could go on and on......

PostSubject: Re: Top 20 Los Angeles Metal albums (from the LA Weekly)   Top 20 Los Angeles Metal albums (from the LA Weekly) Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2012 6:11 pm

James B. wrote:

Armored Saint is on the list, #17
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

PostSubject: Re: Top 20 Los Angeles Metal albums (from the LA Weekly)   Top 20 Los Angeles Metal albums (from the LA Weekly) Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2012 6:12 pm

Hell yeah, W.A.S.P.'s debut in the top ten! headbanger

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Top 20 Los Angeles Metal albums (from the LA Weekly)   Top 20 Los Angeles Metal albums (from the LA Weekly) Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2012 6:13 pm

S.D. wrote:
James B. wrote:

Armored Saint is on the list, #17

oops Laughing very hard

PostSubject: Re: Top 20 Los Angeles Metal albums (from the LA Weekly)   Top 20 Los Angeles Metal albums (from the LA Weekly) Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2012 6:14 pm

James B. wrote:

oops Laughing very hard

Maybe you've been smoking too much of that Montana homegrown? Very Happy

Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Top 20 Los Angeles Metal albums (from the LA Weekly)   Top 20 Los Angeles Metal albums (from the LA Weekly) Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2012 6:17 pm

S.D. wrote:
James B. wrote:

oops Laughing very hard

Maybe you've been smoking too much of that Montana homegrown? Very Happy

If I did still smoke weed..it wouldn't be anything from here. I quit smokin "dirtweed" in like 1977 os so.

Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Top 20 Los Angeles Metal albums (from the LA Weekly)   Top 20 Los Angeles Metal albums (from the LA Weekly) Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2012 6:53 pm

S.D. wrote:
just don't expect to find any of the glam/hair bands here. They also don't count Metallica because of how early in their career they moved to San Fran.
both rules would also apply in any list i would put together.

Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

PostSubject: Re: Top 20 Los Angeles Metal albums (from the LA Weekly)   Top 20 Los Angeles Metal albums (from the LA Weekly) Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2012 6:56 pm

I'm pleasantly surprised Cirith Ungol made the list.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Top 20 Los Angeles Metal albums (from the LA Weekly)   Top 20 Los Angeles Metal albums (from the LA Weekly) Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2012 7:48 pm

mc666 wrote:
S.D. wrote:
just don't expect to find any of the glam/hair bands here. They also don't count Metallica because of how early in their career they moved to San Fran.
both rules would also apply in any list i would put together.

BOOOOO!!!! Razz

TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

PostSubject: Re: Top 20 Los Angeles Metal albums (from the LA Weekly)   Top 20 Los Angeles Metal albums (from the LA Weekly) Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2012 8:46 pm

tohostudios wrote:
S.D. wrote:
Interesting list (aside from a couple head scratcher choices), just don't expect to find any of the glam/hair bands here.

BOOOOO!!!! Razz
Well, at least WASP is there. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Top 20 Los Angeles Metal albums (from the LA Weekly)   Top 20 Los Angeles Metal albums (from the LA Weekly) Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2012 8:49 pm

Although more skate punk than metal - I would put Beowulf somewhere on that top 20. The rest??? ehhh. At first glance, Armored Saint - Symbol Of Salvation should be about 14 spots higher.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Top 20 Los Angeles Metal albums (from the LA Weekly)   Top 20 Los Angeles Metal albums (from the LA Weekly) Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2012 10:55 pm

That is definitely a list.
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Top 20 Los Angeles Metal albums (from the LA Weekly)   Top 20 Los Angeles Metal albums (from the LA Weekly) Icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2012 7:11 am

All good albums:
1. Slayer - Reign In Blood
2. Megadeth - Rust In Peace
7. W.A.S.P. - W.A.S.P.
9. Megadeth - Peace Sells...But Who's Buying?
10. Slayer - Seasons In The Abyss
11. Megadeth - Countdown To Extinction
12. Suicidal Tendencies - Join The Army
13. Terrorizer - World Downfall
14. Cryptic Slaughter - Convicted
16. Dark Angel - Darkness Descends
17. Armored Saint - Symbol Of Salvation
18. Slayer - South Of Heaven
20. Cirith Ungol - King Of The Dead

Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Top 20 Los Angeles Metal albums (from the LA Weekly)   Top 20 Los Angeles Metal albums (from the LA Weekly) Icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2012 10:07 am

I thought it was a pretty great list but I have to admit I associate the hair/glam bands more with the "L.A." location than a lot of these acts. I guess they should do another list calling it the best Sunset Strip albums.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Top 20 Los Angeles Metal albums (from the LA Weekly)   Top 20 Los Angeles Metal albums (from the LA Weekly) Icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2012 10:27 am

jstate wrote:
I thought it was a pretty great list but I have to admit I associate the hair/glam bands more with the "L.A." location than a lot of these acts. I guess they should do another list calling it the best Sunset Strip albums.

i do too.

PostSubject: Re: Top 20 Los Angeles Metal albums (from the LA Weekly)   Top 20 Los Angeles Metal albums (from the LA Weekly) Icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2012 11:47 am

jstate wrote:

I think most everyone associates L.A. with the glam scene, so doing a list stuffed with all those bands really wouldn't be that enlightening.

Maybe the writer wanted to point out the *other* stuff coming out of L.A. that doesn't get discussed nearly enough because people are way too hung up on glam bands.

I found the list more interesting than most because some of the lesser known stuff made it.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Top 20 Los Angeles Metal albums (from the LA Weekly)   Top 20 Los Angeles Metal albums (from the LA Weekly) Icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2012 11:49 am

It's a good list, they went deep into the lesser know bands and a style that's not known for it's L.A. roots. Of course, they picked the wrong 'deth album. Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top 20 Los Angeles Metal albums (from the LA Weekly)   Top 20 Los Angeles Metal albums (from the LA Weekly) Icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2012 11:58 am

Dark Horseman wrote:
It's a good list, they went deep into the lesser know bands and a style that's not known for it's L.A. roots. Of course, they picked the wrong 'deth album. Laughing

The list did include both Peace Sells and Rust In Peace, so that's the cream of the Megadeth crop in my opinion. I never would have but Countdown To Extinction on there.

If I had to edit the list I would also have to include Hell Awaits.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Top 20 Los Angeles Metal albums (from the LA Weekly)   Top 20 Los Angeles Metal albums (from the LA Weekly) Icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2012 12:08 pm

S.D. wrote:
Dark Horseman wrote:

The list did include both Peace Sells and Rust In Peace, so that's the cream of the Megadeth crop in my opinion. I never would have but Countdown To Extinction on there.

If I had to edit the list I would also have to include Hell Awaits.

yeah - Peace Sells and Rust in Peace are my favorites too.

Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Top 20 Los Angeles Metal albums (from the LA Weekly)   Top 20 Los Angeles Metal albums (from the LA Weekly) Icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2012 12:51 pm

I just really like Countdown. RIP is the ultimate 'deth but Countdown is second in my book.
Back to top Go down
dark avenger
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 54

PostSubject: Re: Top 20 Los Angeles Metal albums (from the LA Weekly)   Top 20 Los Angeles Metal albums (from the LA Weekly) Icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2012 5:22 pm

A list that puts an Avenged Sevenfold album above Peace Sells, Darkness Descends or Join The Army is a joke to me.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Top 20 Los Angeles Metal albums (from the LA Weekly)   Top 20 Los Angeles Metal albums (from the LA Weekly) Icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2012 7:03 pm

Some good stuff on that list, but I'd probably switch out a few for Hirax, Deliverance, Stryper, Vengeance Rising, Savage Grace, Steeler and a couple others. I'd also put Van Halen's earth-shattering debut on any list of Top LA metal bands. Quiet Riot should be on a list like this as well, being one of the band's that broke heavy metal into the mainstream.

System of a Down, Tool, Avenged Sevenfold wouldn't make any list I was putting together unless it was a list of band's I don't care for.

PostSubject: Re: Top 20 Los Angeles Metal albums (from the LA Weekly)   Top 20 Los Angeles Metal albums (from the LA Weekly) Icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2012 7:22 pm

In the early 90s two of my favorite bands were Tool and Kyuss. They were completely different from one another, but what they did have in common (aside from both being L.A. bands) was that most of my "metal-only" friends couldn't stand either group. I remember being really surprised by that...especially with Kyuss because they were HEAVY...but despite multiple attempts most of my friends just scratched their heads in confusion when I played those bands for them.

I fixed the problem by moving across the country to attend college and getting new friends. Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Top 20 Los Angeles Metal albums (from the LA Weekly)   Top 20 Los Angeles Metal albums (from the LA Weekly) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Top 20 Los Angeles Metal albums (from the LA Weekly)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: