Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

COMP SWAP XI - The reviews

Go down 
+18
Wurthless
chewie
SAHB Healer
James B.
Olafsto
SpectreFate
Orion Crystal Ice
bassman
kmorg
Addy
Citanul
jettafiend
tohostudios
ZombieHavoc
exact33
DallasBlack
A Handful of Wayne
BearOnUnicycle
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 6:40 pm

jettafiend wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
jettafiend wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
What album are those Dropkick Murphys tracks from?

The Singles Collection Vol II. That album also has covers from Gang Green, CCR and the Misfits. All around good representation of their sound.

Wow, I have that CD and never noticed those were on there. I think I was disappointed with that CD because it pulled so heavily from their early albums and I like their stuff from Sing Loud Sing Proud on better.

Ditto, although, I don't think that they have put out a bad album.

Yeah, I've got all of 'em except for the live ones. I even have a couple of splits with Face To Face and The Business. Yet somehow I missed those cover tracks. Shocked

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2012 4:52 am

tohostudios wrote:
jettafiend wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
jettafiend wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
What album are those Dropkick Murphys tracks from?

The Singles Collection Vol II. That album also has covers from Gang Green, CCR and the Misfits. All around good representation of their sound.

Wow, I have that CD and never noticed those were on there. I think I was disappointed with that CD because it pulled so heavily from their early albums and I like their stuff from Sing Loud Sing Proud on better.

Ditto, although, I don't think that they have put out a bad album.

Yeah, I've got all of 'em except for the live ones. I even have a couple of splits with Face To Face and The Business. Yet somehow I missed those cover tracks. Shocked

The Business split is great!! Both 21 Guitar Salute and Fortunate Son from the Face to Face Split are on The Singles Collection Vol II which is the primary reason that I bought it. I had the Face to Face split but it disappeared years ago. I don't have any live albums but I do have a DVD, and I want to get the Live On Lansdowne DVD also. My opinion is that every metal-head should check out DKM as they have a HUGE classic metal influence in their sound. You can absolutely tell that lead singer Al Barr was heavily influenced by Lemmy in his style and delivery.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2012 6:17 am

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
Addy wrote:
Still gotta do Disk 2

Disk 1

1.Anathema- Untouchable Pt. 1 – I loved this track, I thought it was a good start to the comp, This is one of the bands I will be looking more into to explore more of their music. I definitely liked this song.

2.Candlemass- The Bleeding Baroness – I have heard of Candlemass but never heard them and I did like this song to the point of wanting to check more of their stuff out to see if I need to add any to my library.

3.Grand Magus- Fear Is The Key – I liked this track, probably one of my favorites from the compilations well top 5 anyways hehe. Gonna check more of them out too.
4.The Mission- Dragonfly – I liked this song, definitely will be checking out this band. But to be honest even though I did like it, it just didn’t seem rememberable to me just enough to peek my curiosity

5.The Killers- Runaways – This was ok, did not do much for me, but would be open to check out more by this band.

6.Dommin- Closure – This song I think of this entire first disk of the comp is my favorite I absolutely loved this song, It was an instant like for me, definitely will be checking out more by this band and If they have more stuff that sounds this good then I think its safe to say I will be seeking out CDs by them. Definitly my #1 favorite for Disk 1.

7.Triosphere- Marionette – Definitely dug this song, It has a metal/gothic vibe , sorta reminds me of the band Autumn which is a goth metal band I like. I definitely will be checking out more by them.

8.Anvil- Smokin' Green – I didn’t really care for this track, I am familiar with Anvil and I even believe I have one of their albums as mp3 I cannot remember which one. But I’ve never listened to it, I just did not care for this song did’nt do anything for me.

9.Cathedral- Enter The Worms – Did not care for this track the vocals kinda ruined it for me

10.Ghost- Ritual – I am kinda on the fence on this song, I like it but at the same time I am not sure. I love the musicmanship and the harmonies on this song. Might have been some of the lyrical content that bothered me a bit, but I plan to look more into them.

11.Hell- Plague and Fyre – Did not like this song at all, it started out ok, until the singer opened his mouth.

12.Unisonic- Souls Alive – Kind of reminiscent of Iron Maiden and Barren Cross to me, at least in the vox. I dig this, will check this one out too more in depth. Good harmonies.

13.Big Talk- Katzenjammer – This kinda had a hard rock 80s vibe with a 90s twist , I liked this one too.

14.Fun. All The Pretty Girls – I am kind of on the fence about this one. Will need to listen to it a few more times.

15.Pulp- Disco 2000 – I really liked this one, had a upbeat feel to it. Kinda like a song to “bounce” to.

16.HIM- Souls On Fire – Am familiar with HIM, didn’t really care for this one.

17.Ark- Burn The Sun - I liked this song, gonna look more into this band. They sound kinda fun

18.Blackfield- End Of The World – Kind of on the fence on this one

Anathema I just started to get into. When I heard that song I put on the comp I was sold. I'm slowly getting their albums. Their earlier stuff doesn't sound anything like this though.

That Mission song came on my ipod the other day and I liked it. There are way better songs than that one. I actually don't really like the album that song is on. Go on youtube and search for Butterfly on A Wheel, Deliverance, Amelia, Keep It In The Family, Like A Child Again. Those are my favorite songs.

I love the Killers. I don't know why but I really love that song. I wasn't too crazy about it at first when they released it as a single, but after I got the album and listened to it a few times It really grew on me. There was a time I hated that band because an ex gf listens to them, but another friend of mine showed me another song that I really love and I just got addicted to them ever since.

Dommin is awesome. I went to see HIM a few years ago and Dommin was opening up. I didn't know who they were so for the hell of it I looked them up before I walked out there door. I wasn't really in a rush to get to the show, but that was until I found some Dommin songs. I listened to about 2 songs and I told my gf we gotta go we can't miss this band. They were great live. After their set they went out into the hallway and autographed their cds. Really nice guys. They have 2 albums. Their first one isn't available anywhere. It was self released. I ended up with a download of it which I can send you if you want. Their second album you can get anywhere its called "Love Is Gone" If you liked the song on this comp you'll love the album. I was actually unsure what song to put on the comp and that wasn't even really one of my favorite songs from it haha, but I still like it. They have a new album coming out soon. They are an excellent band.

It took me a while to get into Ghost too. I wasn't too crazy about the overall sound of the album and I wasn't even crazy about the vocals. If the lyrics bother you I can understand that, but if you listen to the album as a whole its amazing. They turned into one of my favorites bands within days after listening to the album. They are like a mix of BOC and Mercyful Fate.

Big Talk is the drummer from the Killers. I believe he plays most of the instruments and also does the vocals.

Fun. is a good band. When I found out the guitarist in the band Steel Train was in it I checked it out. Then that song We Are Young is played on the radio all the time. I'm sick of that song now but they have better songs than that.

Pulp is a great band another one of my favorites that I listen to almost on a daily basis. They put on a really great live show.

So far I have checked out more from Dommin and after hearing samples from like 4 other songs I definitly want their Love is Gone CD I might swing by the music store (FYE) on my way home today from work and check it out and if its a good price Itll be mine hehe
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2012 2:33 pm

cool If not theres a bunch on amazon under $2. Can't go wrong with that.

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2012 2:38 pm

Oh and they did a really cool cover of the song I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight, but its only available as a download with a couple other bonus tracks.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2012 7:36 pm

Yeah I saw that on Itunes that they did that cover sounds pretty good. As does Life of Agony's as well hehe

I did see it in FYE but i wasnt bout to spend 15 bucks for it so Ill probably nab it from Amazon when i start my christmas shopping
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2012 2:25 pm

I have delivered the goods to BearonUnicycle. As per Mr. Unicycle's request, there is little to no growling or extreme influenced stuff on the 32 song double-digital-disc collection and so 95% of it is straightforward power and heavy metal goodness from mostly more overlooked bands (bands that are sort of 'known' but aren't discussed to death on boards, or don't carry much interest because people have bad taste, or that I figured he might not know much of).
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2012 2:27 pm

Quote :
don't carry much interest because people have bad taste

I find your modesty quite sexy.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2012 3:06 pm

Because you have good taste. Cool
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2012 5:53 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
I have delivered the goods to BearonUnicycle. As per Mr. Unicycle's request, there is little to no growling or extreme influenced stuff on the 32 song double-digital-disc collection and so 95% of it is straightforward power and heavy metal goodness from mostly more overlooked bands (bands that are sort of 'known' but aren't discussed to death on boards, or don't carry much interest because people have bad taste, or that I figured he might not know much of).

I bet there's some Dark At Dawn in there somewhere...

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2012 7:09 pm

Are OCIs sexy and beastly?
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2012 7:23 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
Are OCIs sexy and beastly?

I have no idea but "Crossbreeds" probably are.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2012 4:07 am

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:

I'll upload my collection of tracks you will regret listening too this evening too. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2012 5:39 am

Got my comp from Zombiehavoc. Will start listening and share my disillusioned thoughts Smile .
Looking at the tracklist i have only heard of a couple of the bands on here, so i don`t know what to expect... Exciting!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2012 7:54 am

I have had loads of technical grief with doing this. My solution is time consuming and the time is now had to start doing it. SAHB is kewl with the plan....so it's on.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2012 8:25 am

Olafsto wrote:
Got my comp from Zombiehavoc. Will start listening and share my disillusioned thoughts Smile .
Looking at the tracklist i have only heard of a couple of the bands on here, so i don`t know what to expect... Exciting!

Awesome, man, looking forward to hearing what you think!
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2012 10:40 am

Bizarre! I got my first comp-swap from S.D. and though I only recognized a few of the bands, my dad recognized all of them and previously owned the vast majority on vinyl back in the day. His input was definitely positive. I will have the review posted by tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2012 12:49 pm

You just got pelted with dad-rock.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2012 1:28 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:

lol!

Just wait 'til you get the CD's from me, jettafiend! COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 3 754598

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2012 1:36 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:

It's quite a hip Dad I would have to say, this is what he got for the first disc - he didn't have any of these artists in his collection (aside from one rather paltry Deep Purple greatest hits disc)

1. Black Sabbath - The Wizard (from the album Black Sabbath, 1970)
2. Budgie - Guts (from the album Budgie, 1971)
3. Deep Purple - Hard Lovin' Man (from the album In Rock, 1970)
4. Atomic Rooster - Death Walks Behind You (from the album Death Walks Behind You, 1970)
5. Lucifer's Friend - Ride The Sky (from the album Lucifer's Friend, 1971)
6. Jethro Tull - Sweet Dream (b-side, first US release on Living In The Past, 1972)
7. Uriah Heep - Gypsy (from the album Uriah Heep, 1970)
8. Mahavishnu Orchestra - The Noonward Race (from the album Inner Mounting Flame, 1971)
9. Blue Oyster Cult - Cities On Flame With Rock 'N' Roll (from the album B.O.C., 1972)
10. Captain Beyond - Raging River Of Fear (from the album Captain Beyond, 1971)
11. King Crimson - 21st Century Schizoid Man (from the album Summit Studios, 1972)
12 & 13. Nektar - Crying In The Dark/King Of Twilight (from the album A Tab In The Ocean, 1972).
14. Gentle Giant - Alucard (from the album Gentle Giant, 1970)
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2012 1:40 pm

kmorg wrote:
Orion Crystal Ice wrote:

lol!

Just wait 'til you get the CD's from me, jettafiend! COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 3 754598

Can't wait! there are some bands on there that I recognize but not heard. I am stoked!
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2012 1:42 pm

S.D. wrote:
Orion Crystal Ice wrote:

It's quite a hip Dad I would have to say, this is what he got for the first disc - he didn't have any of these artists in his collection (aside from one rather paltry Deep Purple greatest hits disc)

4. Atomic Rooster - Death Walks Behind You (from the album Death Walks Behind You, 1970)
6. Jethro Tull - Sweet Dream (b-side, first US release on Living In The Past, 1972)
8. Mahavishnu Orchestra - The Noonward Race (from the album Inner Mounting Flame, 1971)
9. Blue Oyster Cult - Cities On Flame With Rock 'N' Roll (from the album B.O.C., 1972)
11. King Crimson - 21st Century Schizoid Man (from the album Summit Studios, 1972)
12 & 13. Nektar - Crying In The Dark/King Of Twilight (from the album A Tab In The Ocean, 1972).

My dad totally understands my love of rock n' roll for sure. The only 2 albums that he did not own were the Black Sabbath and the Budgie. He was a massive Brit-Rock fiend, and even now he spins his Kinks albums fairly regularly. S.D. posted a track by Beckett on here awhile back, and my dad's reaction to hearing that was "I had that vinly, great album."
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2012 1:44 pm

S.D. wrote:
Orion Crystal Ice wrote:

Spoiler! I wanted to wait to see the tracklist when the review was posted.

That is a bitchin' comp though. I've never heard Nekta or Gentle Giant, so I'm gonna check them out. Never heard of Mahavishnu Orchestraeither.
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2012 1:45 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:

lol!
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2012 6:40 pm

You get a million billion points for the Mahavishnu track.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

COMP SWAP XI - The reviews
Page 3 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next