Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

COMP SWAP XI - The reviews

Go down 
+18
Wurthless
chewie
SAHB Healer
James B.
Olafsto
SpectreFate
Orion Crystal Ice
bassman
kmorg
Addy
Citanul
jettafiend
tohostudios
ZombieHavoc
exact33
DallasBlack
A Handful of Wayne
BearOnUnicycle
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 1:22 am

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
Impressed with the W.E.T., Praying Mantis, etc choices here, PM is very very very worth getting almost everything by.

I only have Sanctuary from PM, but it is a fine album. Guess I need to put some more on the imposible to fill wantlist.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 3:32 am

I almost put "Master Control", but decided that everyone already knows it.
Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 9:59 pm

Ok....time for disc 2 from DallasBlack.......this one more of a power/classic/traditional sort of idea.

Axel Rudi Pell - Cold Heaven
This is a great transition song that could have easily been on the first comp of AOR/hard rock material, just begins to ramp up the heaviness level a little bit. Good vocal performance, everything sounds good except the guitar solo....this is my main issue with ARP. Too many times his solos just don't seem to fit the song very well and that is the case with this one. Good song anyway.

Darksun - Echoes of The Past
.....and the double bass assault begins as we move into power metal territory. I like this song a lot, the singer sounds quite a bit like Tobias Sammet without the annoying super-wide vibrato in his voice. Nice!

Moonlight Agony - Ceremony
Speed! And a little folk influence, especially in the chorus. I like it.

Cryonic Temple - Travelers In Time
Took me a few spins to get in to this song, nice harmony guitar intro.....hard to drive the speed limit while this is on, the drums really push the song along.

Armada - Rage Of The Armada
Some serious Yngwie influence in the guitar playing on this one, I still like that neo-classical soloing style so this sounds good to me. Vocalist sounds just a little strained to my ears, seems like he's fighting his voice a little.

Dawnrider - Fate Is Calling
Some operatic female/male vocal trade-offs on this one......song is ok, but not my favorite.

Empire - The Alter
A nice galloping riff kicks this one off.......singer has a slight Chris Cornell-type sound. I'll be checking these guys out for sure.

Human Fortress -Amberdawn
This is a bit more melodic and upbeat than the last few.....big thumbs up for the guitar solo, which was great.

Aska - Longships
Starts off with keys and a female operatic vocal.......for about 5 seconds then BAM! HUGE riffage and a powerful vocal slap you awake. Probably the only Viking song I've ever heard without any of the folk/viking sound. Extra kudos for the big scream at the end of the first chorus.

Lillian Axe - Death Comes Tomorrow
Catchy riff with a harmony lead guitar, kind of a hypnotic drone to the song at first, but it builds intensity nicely through the rest of the tune.

Mago De Oz - Fiesta Pagana
A live song! Very well done......lots of traditional folk instruments are heard quite clearly with the metal on this one. And there's a good amount of crowd interaction, too, you can really hear them singing along. Very tight live band.

Serenity - Rust Of Coming Ages
Proggy, good use of keys without taking over the song, really nice instrumental section in the middle. Singer sounds like Silence-era Sonata Arctica at times....not a bad thing at all!

Armageddon (UK) - Stranglehold
Groove-oriented riff, machine gun double kick, plenty of aggression and quite a few tempo and riff changes through the song.......in other words, I like it!

Rising Faith - Rage
Classic metal feel, good gang vocals, and an extended solo section...... \'arry \'eadbanger

Stairway - Spirit Of Guilt
Definite Saint vibe here........needs a high-pitched scream or 2 to liven it up a bit. Not bad, just needs a more powerful singer.

Centurion - Vitus
Really aggressive thrashy riff, love the screaming vocal in the background, sounds like early Bride.

Rebellion - Letters Of Blood
Metal song based on Macbeth........it's ok, but Jag Panzer does it better IMO. Still, it's good to hear a different somgwriter's take on that topic.

DB did a great job on this comp as well, lots of good tunes on here......can't say there's anything other than Dawnrider that I wouldn't want to have in my collection.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 11:31 pm

Glad you like it! Can you believe that 10 of those bands I discovered through blind purchases? My record with those has been pretty good, with only a few duds here and there (most recently a doom band called Death Mask-music is good but the vocalist is horrible).

With Serenity, I definatly hear the Sonata Arctica vocals. I would definatly describe them as Kamelot with SA vocals.

Aska is a local band from Dallas/Ft. Worth that has been around for over 20 years. Many of their albums are long OOP, but 3 of them (including the one that song comes from) can be found at good prices.
Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 11:44 pm

I've had a lot of fun listening to these this week.......one more disc to go!

Have you had much chance to listen to mine yet?
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 11:48 pm

bassman wrote:

I have and I loved it. Full review will be up by the weekend at the latest.
Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 11:51 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
bassman wrote:

I have and I loved it. Full review will be up by the weekend at the latest.

Sweet! headbanger
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2012 11:03 am

I received my discs in the mail from Kmorg yesterday evening so I should have that review posted this weekend. So far there is some stuff I have and some stuff that I desperately need to get. It is a great mix so far.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2012 11:29 am

Some more things in reply to Bassman:

Quote :
Axel Rudi Pell - Cold Heaven
This is a great transition song that could have easily been on the first comp of AOR/hard rock material, just begins to ramp up the heaviness level a little bit. Good vocal performance, everything sounds good except the guitar solo....this is my main issue with ARP. Too many times his solos just don't seem to fit the song very well and that is the case with this one. Good song anyway.

That ARP and Hardline share the same vocalist. Johhny Gioeli has been the ARP vocalist since 1998, longer than any vocalist ARP has combined. He is the only one left of the origional Hardline (Neal Schon was only on the debut and his brother, Joey left after the second one).

Quote :
Armageddon (UK) - Stranglehold
Groove-oriented riff, machine gun double kick, plenty of aggression and quite a few tempo and riff changes through the song.......in other words, I like it!

Armageddon is the brainchild of Christopher Amott, one of the founding members of Arch Enemy along with his brother Michael Amott (Carcass).

Quote :
Lillian Axe - Death Comes Tomorrow
Catchy riff with a harmony lead guitar, kind of a hypnotic drone to the song at first, but it builds intensity nicely through the rest of the tune.

Lillian Axe has been around since the late 80s (with a hiatus in between) and every one of their albums is catchy and melodic, yet each one a bit different. They have some of the best vocal harmonies of any hard rock band. Any album from them I'd recommend.

Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2012 11:30 am

DallasBlack wrote:
Lillian Axe has been around since the late 80s (with a hiatus in between) and every one of their albums is catchy and melodic, yet each one a bit different. They have some of the best vocal harmonies of any hard rock band. Any album from them I'd recommend.

I haven't heard their more recent albums, but their first two albums are masterpieces, to be sure. Some of the finest of the genre.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2012 11:33 am

ZombieHavoc wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:

I haven't heard their more recent albums, but their first two albums are masterpieces, to be sure. Some of the finest of the genre.

I highly recommend the new one. One of my top 10 albums this year.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2012 4:19 pm

jettafiend wrote:
I received my discs in the mail from Kmorg yesterday evening so I should have that review posted this weekend. So far there is some stuff I have and some stuff that I desperately need to get. It is a great mix so far.

Excellent!!

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2012 10:09 pm

Thanks for the info, DB!
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 8:55 am

Really enjoying Zombiehavoc`s comps! Very busy week but hope to have first review up in a few days.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 9:24 am

Olafsto wrote:
Really enjoying Zombiehavoc`s comps! Very busy week but hope to have first review up in a few days.

I'm glad you are digging the discs! Yours still have not arrived yet, but once they do I will dig in and post up thoughts.
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 11:55 am

ZombieHavoc wrote:
Olafsto wrote:

I'm glad you are digging the discs! Yours still have not arrived yet, but once they do I will dig in and post up thoughts.

It usually takes one week so i would have thougth they be there by now. Let me know if they don`t show up and i`ll burn new ones or upload them digitally for you.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 6:00 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
Addy wrote:
Still gotta do Disk 2

Disk 1

1.Anathema- Untouchable Pt. 1 – I loved this track, I thought it was a good start to the comp, This is one of the bands I will be looking more into to explore more of their music. I definitely liked this song.

2.Candlemass- The Bleeding Baroness – I have heard of Candlemass but never heard them and I did like this song to the point of wanting to check more of their stuff out to see if I need to add any to my library.

3.Grand Magus- Fear Is The Key – I liked this track, probably one of my favorites from the compilations well top 5 anyways hehe. Gonna check more of them out too.
4.The Mission- Dragonfly – I liked this song, definitely will be checking out this band. But to be honest even though I did like it, it just didn’t seem rememberable to me just enough to peek my curiosity

5.The Killers- Runaways – This was ok, did not do much for me, but would be open to check out more by this band.

6.Dommin- Closure – This song I think of this entire first disk of the comp is my favorite I absolutely loved this song, It was an instant like for me, definitely will be checking out more by this band and If they have more stuff that sounds this good then I think its safe to say I will be seeking out CDs by them. Definitly my #1 favorite for Disk 1.

7.Triosphere- Marionette – Definitely dug this song, It has a metal/gothic vibe , sorta reminds me of the band Autumn which is a goth metal band I like. I definitely will be checking out more by them.

8.Anvil- Smokin' Green – I didn’t really care for this track, I am familiar with Anvil and I even believe I have one of their albums as mp3 I cannot remember which one. But I’ve never listened to it, I just did not care for this song did’nt do anything for me.

9.Cathedral- Enter The Worms – Did not care for this track the vocals kinda ruined it for me

10.Ghost- Ritual – I am kinda on the fence on this song, I like it but at the same time I am not sure. I love the musicmanship and the harmonies on this song. Might have been some of the lyrical content that bothered me a bit, but I plan to look more into them.

11.Hell- Plague and Fyre – Did not like this song at all, it started out ok, until the singer opened his mouth.

12.Unisonic- Souls Alive – Kind of reminiscent of Iron Maiden and Barren Cross to me, at least in the vox. I dig this, will check this one out too more in depth. Good harmonies.

13.Big Talk- Katzenjammer – This kinda had a hard rock 80s vibe with a 90s twist , I liked this one too.

14.Fun. All The Pretty Girls – I am kind of on the fence about this one. Will need to listen to it a few more times.

15.Pulp- Disco 2000 – I really liked this one, had a upbeat feel to it. Kinda like a song to “bounce” to.

16.HIM- Souls On Fire – Am familiar with HIM, didn’t really care for this one.

17.Ark- Burn The Sun - I liked this song, gonna look more into this band. They sound kinda fun

18.Blackfield- End Of The World – Kind of on the fence on this one
Fun. is a good band. When I found out the guitarist in the band Steel Train was in it I checked it out. Then that song We Are Young is played on the radio all the time. I'm sick of that song now but they have better songs than that.

That FUN track must be from an earlier album. I keep running into this band and I have to admit I like what I hear but I'm leery about buying a whole album. How is the "Some Nights" album? I know We Are Young and I love the title track but some of the rest sounds too poppy.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 6:40 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Addy wrote:
Still gotta do Disk 2

Disk 1

1.Anathema- Untouchable Pt. 1 – I loved this track, I thought it was a good start to the comp, This is one of the bands I will be looking more into to explore more of their music. I definitely liked this song.

2.Candlemass- The Bleeding Baroness – I have heard of Candlemass but never heard them and I did like this song to the point of wanting to check more of their stuff out to see if I need to add any to my library.

3.Grand Magus- Fear Is The Key – I liked this track, probably one of my favorites from the compilations well top 5 anyways hehe. Gonna check more of them out too.
4.The Mission- Dragonfly – I liked this song, definitely will be checking out this band. But to be honest even though I did like it, it just didn’t seem rememberable to me just enough to peek my curiosity

5.The Killers- Runaways – This was ok, did not do much for me, but would be open to check out more by this band.

6.Dommin- Closure – This song I think of this entire first disk of the comp is my favorite I absolutely loved this song, It was an instant like for me, definitely will be checking out more by this band and If they have more stuff that sounds this good then I think its safe to say I will be seeking out CDs by them. Definitly my #1 favorite for Disk 1.

7.Triosphere- Marionette – Definitely dug this song, It has a metal/gothic vibe , sorta reminds me of the band Autumn which is a goth metal band I like. I definitely will be checking out more by them.

8.Anvil- Smokin' Green – I didn’t really care for this track, I am familiar with Anvil and I even believe I have one of their albums as mp3 I cannot remember which one. But I’ve never listened to it, I just did not care for this song did’nt do anything for me.

9.Cathedral- Enter The Worms – Did not care for this track the vocals kinda ruined it for me

10.Ghost- Ritual – I am kinda on the fence on this song, I like it but at the same time I am not sure. I love the musicmanship and the harmonies on this song. Might have been some of the lyrical content that bothered me a bit, but I plan to look more into them.

11.Hell- Plague and Fyre – Did not like this song at all, it started out ok, until the singer opened his mouth.

12.Unisonic- Souls Alive – Kind of reminiscent of Iron Maiden and Barren Cross to me, at least in the vox. I dig this, will check this one out too more in depth. Good harmonies.

13.Big Talk- Katzenjammer – This kinda had a hard rock 80s vibe with a 90s twist , I liked this one too.

14.Fun. All The Pretty Girls – I am kind of on the fence about this one. Will need to listen to it a few more times.

15.Pulp- Disco 2000 – I really liked this one, had a upbeat feel to it. Kinda like a song to “bounce” to.

17.Ark- Burn The Sun - I liked this song, gonna look more into this band. They sound kinda fun

Fun. is a good band. When I found out the guitarist in the band Steel Train was in it I checked it out. Then that song We Are Young is played on the radio all the time. I'm sick of that song now but they have better songs than that.

That FUN track must be from an earlier album. I keep running into this band and I have to admit I like what I hear but I'm leery about buying a whole album. How is the "Some Nights" album? I know We Are Young and I love the title track but some of the rest sounds too poppy.

That ARK album is fantastic! It was a random discovery for me. I don't even remember how I found it, but that no longer matters. What is important is that it is a solid slab of proggy metal that does NOT fall in the DT vein.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 6:56 pm

jettafiend wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
Addy wrote:
Still gotta do Disk 2

Disk 1

That ARK album is fantastic! It was a random discovery for me. I don't even remember how I found it, but that no longer matters. What is important is that it is a solid slab of proggy metal that does NOT fall in the DT vein.

It's also not a cheap album to find. I was able to find it used for $20 at Movie Trading Company. The only rare metal album I ever found there.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 9:12 pm

tohostudios wrote:

If you like those 2 songs you should like the rest of the album. I think there are only 2 songs that I really don't like at all.

This is the song I put on the comp, which is off their first album

and this is a song that is off of Some Nights. I think this one is my favorite. I just hope they don't over play this one on the radio next haha.

and if you like FUN you should really check out these 2 bands called The Format, which is the singers first band and Steel Train, which is the guitar players other band.

The Format

Steel Train

I've posted about Steel Train a few times and I won't stop til someone says they like it lol!

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 9:16 pm

DallasBlack wrote:

It's also not a cheap album to find. I was able to find it used for $20 at Movie Trading Company. The only rare metal album I ever found there.

Nope its not cheap but I got both for free from a friend. He was getting rid of a bunch of his cds and he wanted $20 for both and he was suppose to meet up with me in a few days, so he sent them out to me. When we were suppose to meet up he never showed. He ended up telling me not to worry about the money, so I ended up getting a great deal haha.

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 9:19 pm

BTW Wheres Addy with disc 2? lol! Razz

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 9:22 pm

Hey, I have that The Format disc. I recognized the cover right away and I just checked The Vault and I still have it.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 9:28 pm

DallasBlack wrote:

Nope its not cheap but I got both for free from a friend. He was getting rid of a bunch of his cds and he wanted $20 for both and he was suppose to meet up with me in a few days, so he sent them out to me. When we were suppose to meet up he never showed. He ended up telling me not to worry about the money, so I ended up getting a great deal haha.

Some guys have all the luck. Mad .
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 9:34 pm

DallasBlack wrote:

Some guys have all the luck. Mad .

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

COMP SWAP XI - The reviews
Page 5 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next