Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

COMP SWAP XI - The reviews

Go down 
+18
Wurthless
chewie
SAHB Healer
James B.
Olafsto
SpectreFate
Orion Crystal Ice
bassman
kmorg
Addy
Citanul
jettafiend
tohostudios
ZombieHavoc
exact33
DallasBlack
A Handful of Wayne
BearOnUnicycle
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2012 5:14 am

jettafiend wrote:
Doesn't the Godzilla soundtrack have/had an exclusive Wallflowers song?

It does. A cover of Heroes.

Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2012 2:49 pm

Last Action Hero had a pretty good soundtrack

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2012 5:54 pm

jettafiend wrote:
Addy wrote:
I like soundtracks sometimes theres some good ones one of my favorites is Godzilla (from 2000) its got Silverchair and the Foo Fighters on it. Great stuff

I really liked Wayne's World and Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey. Two great ones IMHO. Doesn't the Godzilla soundtrack have/had an exclusive Wallflowers song?

Yup a cover of David Bowie's Heros I have the Waynes World one too I got them for the Tia Carrera(sp) tracks. I love the megadeth song from Bill and Ted's bogus Journey.

Last Action hero is a good one too I used to have that on cassette.

Ive listened to about half my comps I am hoping to have a review up soon
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2012 7:04 pm

Addy wrote:
jettafiend wrote:
Addy wrote:
I like soundtracks sometimes theres some good ones one of my favorites is Godzilla (from 2000) its got Silverchair and the Foo Fighters on it. Great stuff

I really liked Wayne's World and Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey. Two great ones IMHO. Doesn't the Godzilla soundtrack have/had an exclusive Wallflowers song?

Yup a cover of David Bowie's Heros I have the Waynes World one too I got them for the Tia Carrera(sp) tracks. I love the megadeth song from Bill and Ted's bogus Journey.

Cool. Did you find anything you like? From the stuff that was on your RYM page I put some stuff that I thought you would like that I know others wouldn't. Not that I haven't put some of those bands on their comps but I knew most wouldn't like it haha.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2012 7:26 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
Addy wrote:
jettafiend wrote:
Addy wrote:

Cool. Did you find anything you like?

That's always my fear with these swaps; I'll record a bunch of stuff that I think is killer and the recipient will think it all sucks.

Then again, I traded with Troublemagnet (remember him?) and if he found something he could like I guess anyone could. Always pays to throw a lot of variety on these things IMO.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2012 7:39 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Addy wrote:
jettafiend wrote:
Addy wrote:

That's always my fear with these swaps; I'll record a bunch of stuff that I think is killer and the recipient will think it all sucks.

Then again, I traded with Troublemagnet (remember him?) and if he found something he could like I guess anyone could. Always pays to throw a lot of variety on these things IMO.

And some people can be pretty cruel with reviews on stuff they don't like, however, most around here are more diplomatic (though still fairly blunt). Of course nobody was as bad as Cognitive Dissonance. Remember how he was with bassman's comps last year when it came to stuff he didn't like? Of course that led to his banishment as he had diahrea of the mouth on other stuff as well.

This year bassman has someone who won't be as hard to please. Even if I don't like something, I try to be as diplomatic about it as possible (though I won't say I like something if I don't-luckily there is very little in the rock/metal genre I don't).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2012 8:27 pm

PRD - Yeah to a degree, enough to look more into them. Thing Is Ive probably listened to the comps but I do it when travelling and I tend to forget to make notes but I have noted on about almost half.

Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2012 9:14 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
Addy wrote:
jettafiend wrote:
Addy wrote:

And some people can be pretty cruel with reviews on stuff they don't like, however, most around here are more diplomatic (though still fairly blunt). Of course nobody was as bad as Cognitive Dissonance. Remember how he was with bassman's comps last year when it came to stuff he didn't like? Of course that led to his banishment as he had diahrea of the mouth on other stuff as well.

This year bassman has someone who won't be as hard to please. Even if I don't like something, I try to be as diplomatic about it as possible (though I won't say I like something if I don't-luckily there is very little in the rock/metal genre I don't).

FYI, Cognitive Dissonance WAS Troublemagnet. So like I said, it can't get much worse than that. Smile

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2012 9:25 pm

tohostudios wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
Addy wrote:
jettafiend wrote:
Addy wrote:

FYI, Cognitive Dissonance WAS Troublemagnet. So like I said, it can't get much worse than that. Smile

No, he wasn't. Remember CD swore up and down that he was not Troublemagnet (tongue-in-cheek). Wink
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2012 9:30 pm

It doesn't really matter; I found stuff I could like even among the weird crap I received. My point is, I think it's best to put a wide variety of styles on these comps.

I'll be ready next time; I'm already compiling a list of stuff to send. Very Happy

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2012 6:51 am

I try to be sensitive when reviewing something I dont like, just because I dont like it doesnt make it garbage or crap, just makes it not my cup of tea
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2012 9:36 am

DallasBlack wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
Addy wrote:
jettafiend wrote:
Addy wrote:

No, he wasn't. Remember CD swore up and down that he was not Troublemagnet (tongue-in-cheek). Wink

He was though. We banned troublemagnet, but let him back after he pleaded us to, and promised to behave. He came back as C D, and started his crap again. The bassman insident made the cup run over.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2012 1:25 pm

Addy wrote:
I try to be sensitive when reviewing something I dont like, just because I dont like it doesnt make it garbage or crap, just makes it not my cup of tea

EXACTLY!! Well put Addy.
Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2012 6:18 pm

kmorg wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
Addy wrote:
jettafiend wrote:
Addy wrote:

He was though. We banned troublemagnet, but let him back after he pleaded us to, and promised to behave. He came back as C D, and started his crap again. The bassman insident made the cup run over.

"The bassman incident" lol!

DB, I'm listening to your comps right now and I feel right at home....we're gonna get along just fine. headbanger
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 9:41 am

OK, Micah (jettafiend) sent me 2 discs, and here is my thought on them.

Disc 1:

Liberation (From the Blazing Wasteland)(ECM Version) - Armageddon
More Than Conquerors – Armageddon

Grand opening with two blazing conquerors (pun intended) from Armageddon. One of the only “old school” power metal bands in the Christian metal history. These guys, me thinks, had a lot in common with early Savatage, and that is of course a huge plus! And, yes, I already own this album Very Happy Oh, and I just found out that they are recording a new album!!!!

Get Ready For the War - Arnion
Regret Be Healed – Arnion

One of the first, and arguably best, Christian bands to get noticed in the new wave of thrash metal bands, here’s Arnion from Brazil. I do own this CD as well, but have to admit that I have yet to listen through the album properly. But if these 2 tracks are an indication, I better remedy that soon! This is very cool, “old school” thrash metal, reminding me a little of Anthrax. I believe that Arnion are already broken up, and that is a shame, because I really like what I hear! “Regret Be Healed” is a favorite!

War Ensemble - As I Lay Dying
The Hellion - As I Lay Dying
Electric Eye - As I Lay Dying

As I Lay Dying is a band whom I have heard about for years. However, due to my aversion against, pretty much, anything that smells of newer modern metal, I have never given them much notice in the past. I’m not sure that will change much after hearing these 3 tracks, because non of them are As I Lay Dying songs  Yes, this is Slayers “War Ensemble” and Judas Priest’s “The Hellion/Electric Eye” filtered through the agro-metal/neo-thrash metal filter that is As I Lay Dying. Interesting, but never mind blowing.

Pride & Joy - Coverdale/Page
Shake My Tree - Coverdale/Page

Now, this is a change in pace! It’s actually kind of odd that I do not own a single CD with any of these fellas main bands! No, that is not entirely true, because I do own a Whitesnake best-of compilation that I have listened to ones…. But this is a digression. Coverdale/Page delivers music that, well, you might expect from Coverdale and Page! Duh. This is bluesy hard rock, and it’s catchy as heck! “Pride & Joy” rolls along like a steam train, and it will run you over! “Shake My Tree” is another choice cut, with some cool playing from Page. I think I’ll pick this up when I see it in a bargain bin the next time!

Sky - Craving Theo
Welcome You - Craving Theo

I’ve never even heard the name of this band before. Not sure how to label them, but modern hard rock might be an umbrella to put them under. Too me they sound a little bit like Galactic Cowboys. Not really my thang, but that don’t make it bad.

Baptized In Blood - Final Axe
Blind Faith - Final Axe

Another band I am already familiar with, as I already own the CD these 2 picks are from. Final Axe is no frills heavy metal, nothing less, nothing more. Still, although I like what I hear I never have the urge to listen to the album over and over again.

On Black Wings - Halcyon Way
Stand Up - Halcyon Way

I’ve been meaning to pick up this bands stuff for ages. But, as ultmetal usually says, too many CD’s, too little money. Halycon Way is a killer power/prog metal band, and their music is right up my alley! “Stand Up” is a cover of the song from the Rockstar movie, right?

Out Of Breath - Join The Dead
Self-Inflicted Pain - Join The Dead

Yes, Yes, Yes! Join The Dead deserves more recognition! I own the album, and I love it. This is thrash metal done the right way. It’s not retro for retro’s sake, and it’s not modern either. It’s just thrash metal! Crank it up!

Disc 2:

Theories from Another World - Paradise Lost
Tragic Idol - Paradise Lost

Paradise Lost Lost me rather quickly beyond their debut. Not that I listened a lot to that album either, but it’s the only one I’ve ever bothered to listen to all the way through. I’m actually surprised on how much I enjoyed the songs provided here. Sure, the death metal is gone, but Paradise Lost seems to do the goth-tinged “dark-metal” quite well! Sentenced suddenly didn’t seem so original anymore. Hmm, maybe I need to investigate further…..

You Can't Break Me - Precious Death
Hello - Precious Death

What If King’s X, Galactic Cowboys and Metallica had a baby? Well, Precious Death comes close! It’s artsy, it’s alternative, and it’s, at times, really great. I have all of the band’s full length albums, and enjoy about half of them. “You Can’t Break Me” is a favorite though.

The Most Beautiful Promise - Saving Grace
U Becoming You - Saving Grace

Well, this is modern metal, not far from Becoming The Archetype. Again, not bad, just not my thing, I guess. I’m not even sure why.

Hateworld - The Crucified
Fellowship of Thieves - The Crucified

More songs from albums I already own. This time it’s The Crucified, and their brand of crossover thrash. I was never a huge fan, but at least “Fellowship of Thieves” is one of my favorite tracks from them.

Man Named Hell - The Showdown
Forget My Name - The Showdown

This band, I remember, was hailed as the new frontrunners of Christian metal. Again, the newer metal bands just never excited me, so I never checked them out. That is what is cool with these comp swaps, you get to hear stuff you would never bother to check out on your own. Angry vocals; check, downtuned guitar; check, very little guitar-wizardry; check. Yup, this is modern metalcore, and it does very little for me. Then the second song kicks in, and it’s like listening to a totally different band! Suddenly it’s a straight ahead hard rock band!? Weird. I like the second tune much more than the first!

Heavy Laden - Stricken
Awakened – Stricken

This is one of the few bands on Roxx Records that I never checked out. Not sure why though. Can’t say that these 2 songs makes me wanna come back for more though. A bland mix of metal and hard rock, with gruff vocals, and muffled production. Next!

World Come Crashing Down - Undercover
Land of Luxury – Undercover

I remember we used to have ‘Boys and Girls Renounce the World’ on LP at home when I was growing up. Must have been one of my older brothers who brought that home. I could never could get into their brand of punk-ish hard rock back then, and I can’t remember anything from said album today. These 2 tracks are from a newer album, but I know I have heard “World Come Crushing Down” before. I liked these 2 songs, cool stuff!

It's a Long Way to the Top (If You Wanna Rock N' Roll) Dropkick Murphy's
Rock N' Roll - Dropkick Murphy's

A perfect way to end a CD. I do not own any Dropkick Murphy’s, but I love their brand of Irish pub/punk/rock! It’s just one long party!!!! And covering AC/DC and Motörhead is also a good thing in my book!
[b]

Last edited by kmorg on Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 10:03 am

What album are those Dropkick Murphys tracks from?

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 10:12 am

I have no idea, but jettafiend can fill you in Very Happy

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 10:49 am

Still gotta do Disk 2

Disk 1

1.Anathema- Untouchable Pt. 1 – I loved this track, I thought it was a good start to the comp, This is one of the bands I will be looking more into to explore more of their music. I definitely liked this song.

2.Candlemass- The Bleeding Baroness – I have heard of Candlemass but never heard them and I did like this song to the point of wanting to check more of their stuff out to see if I need to add any to my library.

3.Grand Magus- Fear Is The Key – I liked this track, probably one of my favorites from the compilations well top 5 anyways hehe. Gonna check more of them out too.
4.The Mission- Dragonfly – I liked this song, definitely will be checking out this band. But to be honest even though I did like it, it just didn’t seem rememberable to me just enough to peek my curiosity

5.The Killers- Runaways – This was ok, did not do much for me, but would be open to check out more by this band.

6.Dommin- Closure – This song I think of this entire first disk of the comp is my favorite I absolutely loved this song, It was an instant like for me, definitely will be checking out more by this band and If they have more stuff that sounds this good then I think its safe to say I will be seeking out CDs by them. Definitly my #1 favorite for Disk 1.

7.Triosphere- Marionette – Definitely dug this song, It has a metal/gothic vibe , sorta reminds me of the band Autumn which is a goth metal band I like. I definitely will be checking out more by them.

8.Anvil- Smokin' Green – I didn’t really care for this track, I am familiar with Anvil and I even believe I have one of their albums as mp3 I cannot remember which one. But I’ve never listened to it, I just did not care for this song did’nt do anything for me.

9.Cathedral- Enter The Worms – Did not care for this track the vocals kinda ruined it for me

10.Ghost- Ritual – I am kinda on the fence on this song, I like it but at the same time I am not sure. I love the musicmanship and the harmonies on this song. Might have been some of the lyrical content that bothered me a bit, but I plan to look more into them.

11.Hell- Plague and Fyre – Did not like this song at all, it started out ok, until the singer opened his mouth.

12.Unisonic- Souls Alive – Kind of reminiscent of Iron Maiden and Barren Cross to me, at least in the vox. I dig this, will check this one out too more in depth. Good harmonies.

13.Big Talk- Katzenjammer – This kinda had a hard rock 80s vibe with a 90s twist , I liked this one too.

14.Fun. All The Pretty Girls – I am kind of on the fence about this one. Will need to listen to it a few more times.

15.Pulp- Disco 2000 – I really liked this one, had a upbeat feel to it. Kinda like a song to “bounce” to.

16.HIM- Souls On Fire – Am familiar with HIM, didn’t really care for this one.

17.Ark- Burn The Sun - I liked this song, gonna look more into this band. They sound kinda fun

18.Blackfield- End Of The World – Kind of on the fence on this one
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 12:03 pm

Kmorg, that Showdown song you liked is from the album Temptation Come My Way and it was my #1 album that year. That album is such a great and memorable CD. Anything else by them will be like that first song and IMO not worth it.

For Paradise Lost, Draconian Times is essential. That and any of the more recent albums.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 2:21 pm

Addy wrote:
Still gotta do Disk 2

Disk 1

1.Anathema- Untouchable Pt. 1 – I loved this track, I thought it was a good start to the comp, This is one of the bands I will be looking more into to explore more of their music. I definitely liked this song.

2.Candlemass- The Bleeding Baroness – I have heard of Candlemass but never heard them and I did like this song to the point of wanting to check more of their stuff out to see if I need to add any to my library.

3.Grand Magus- Fear Is The Key – I liked this track, probably one of my favorites from the compilations well top 5 anyways hehe. Gonna check more of them out too.
4.The Mission- Dragonfly – I liked this song, definitely will be checking out this band. But to be honest even though I did like it, it just didn’t seem rememberable to me just enough to peek my curiosity

5.The Killers- Runaways – This was ok, did not do much for me, but would be open to check out more by this band.

6.Dommin- Closure – This song I think of this entire first disk of the comp is my favorite I absolutely loved this song, It was an instant like for me, definitely will be checking out more by this band and If they have more stuff that sounds this good then I think its safe to say I will be seeking out CDs by them. Definitly my #1 favorite for Disk 1.

7.Triosphere- Marionette – Definitely dug this song, It has a metal/gothic vibe , sorta reminds me of the band Autumn which is a goth metal band I like. I definitely will be checking out more by them.

8.Anvil- Smokin' Green – I didn’t really care for this track, I am familiar with Anvil and I even believe I have one of their albums as mp3 I cannot remember which one. But I’ve never listened to it, I just did not care for this song did’nt do anything for me.

9.Cathedral- Enter The Worms – Did not care for this track the vocals kinda ruined it for me

10.Ghost- Ritual – I am kinda on the fence on this song, I like it but at the same time I am not sure. I love the musicmanship and the harmonies on this song. Might have been some of the lyrical content that bothered me a bit, but I plan to look more into them.

11.Hell- Plague and Fyre – Did not like this song at all, it started out ok, until the singer opened his mouth.

12.Unisonic- Souls Alive – Kind of reminiscent of Iron Maiden and Barren Cross to me, at least in the vox. I dig this, will check this one out too more in depth. Good harmonies.

13.Big Talk- Katzenjammer – This kinda had a hard rock 80s vibe with a 90s twist , I liked this one too.

14.Fun. All The Pretty Girls – I am kind of on the fence about this one. Will need to listen to it a few more times.

15.Pulp- Disco 2000 – I really liked this one, had a upbeat feel to it. Kinda like a song to “bounce” to.

16.HIM- Souls On Fire – Am familiar with HIM, didn’t really care for this one.

17.Ark- Burn The Sun - I liked this song, gonna look more into this band. They sound kinda fun

18.Blackfield- End Of The World – Kind of on the fence on this one

Anathema I just started to get into. When I heard that song I put on the comp I was sold. I'm slowly getting their albums. Their earlier stuff doesn't sound anything like this though.

That Mission song came on my ipod the other day and I liked it. There are way better songs than that one. I actually don't really like the album that song is on. Go on youtube and search for Butterfly on A Wheel, Deliverance, Amelia, Keep It In The Family, Like A Child Again. Those are my favorite songs.

I love the Killers. I don't know why but I really love that song. I wasn't too crazy about it at first when they released it as a single, but after I got the album and listened to it a few times It really grew on me. There was a time I hated that band because an ex gf listens to them, but another friend of mine showed me another song that I really love and I just got addicted to them ever since.

Dommin is awesome. I went to see HIM a few years ago and Dommin was opening up. I didn't know who they were so for the hell of it I looked them up before I walked out there door. I wasn't really in a rush to get to the show, but that was until I found some Dommin songs. I listened to about 2 songs and I told my gf we gotta go we can't miss this band. They were great live. After their set they went out into the hallway and autographed their cds. Really nice guys. They have 2 albums. Their first one isn't available anywhere. It was self released. I ended up with a download of it which I can send you if you want. Their second album you can get anywhere its called "Love Is Gone" If you liked the song on this comp you'll love the album. I was actually unsure what song to put on the comp and that wasn't even really one of my favorite songs from it haha, but I still like it. They have a new album coming out soon. They are an excellent band.

It took me a while to get into Ghost too. I wasn't too crazy about the overall sound of the album and I wasn't even crazy about the vocals. If the lyrics bother you I can understand that, but if you listen to the album as a whole its amazing. They turned into one of my favorites bands within days after listening to the album. They are like a mix of BOC and Mercyful Fate.

Big Talk is the drummer from the Killers. I believe he plays most of the instruments and also does the vocals.

Fun. is a good band. When I found out the guitarist in the band Steel Train was in it I checked it out. Then that song We Are Young is played on the radio all the time. I'm sick of that song now but they have better songs than that.

Pulp is a great band another one of my favorites that I listen to almost on a daily basis. They put on a really great live show.

Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 3:47 pm

This is the first disc of the two I received from exact33.

Bullet - Execution
German 80s metal band. There's nothing particularly wrong with the song, but it didn't grab me.

Holy Cross - King In Hell
Heavy/power metal of the rougher vocals, no keyboard variety. I definitely like this one.

Rocka Rolla - Dark Future
A bit of an unusual name for a metal band, so I wasn't sure what to expect. Traditional/speed metal which wasn't bad, but didn't quite do it for me.

Armour - Rock 'n' Roll Tonite
This time I knew what to expect when I saw the song title. A fun, not particulary deep slice of 80s-style metal.

Air Raid - Annihilation
Some good traditional metal. I enjoyed it, but probably not enough to want to investigate any further.

Axehammer - Stand And Deliver
Although this one I just might. From what I can gather, this band was active in the 80s but reformed in the 2000s and they haven't changed their style - a great example of 80s US power metal.

Dexter Ward - Metal Rites
Another unusual band name which turned out to be traditional heavy metal from Greece. Good musically, but there was something about the chorus that bugged me.

Malice - License To Kill
Railway - Crazy
Nitefall - Black Tomorrow

I've put these three together because I feel the same way about them, and my opinion is pretty much the same as the Bullet song. Solid 80s metal, but I couldn't really get into them.

Lonewolf - Soulreapers
But this one I could get into. Heavy/power metal in the Running Wild/Grave Digger vein.

Striker - Fight For Your Life
Some excellent traditional metal. On my first listen through, this was my favourite up to this point.

The Last Vegas - Other Side
Sleaze/glam. Pretty well done, but not a style I listen to that much.

Zuul - Warhammer
A relatively new band with a classic metal sound. Great song.

Lost Horizon - Perfect Warrior
Lost Horizon are a band I've heard a lot of good things about, but hadn't actually heard anything by them. That's obviously changed now and I'm definitely going to rectify their absence from my collection.

The Darkness - Everybody Have A Good Time
I enjoyed The Darkness's first albums, but I haven't got their new one yet. Based on this song, it sounds like they picked up where they left off.

Paradox - Infected
I'm not a big thrash fan, so this song is another that didn't really do it for me.

Lord Byron - Take My Hand
Melodic/power metal band featuring Olaf Hayer, who's sung on Luca Turilli's solo albums. I didn't find this song particularly interesting.

Powerwolf - Saturday Satan
But this one I did find interesting. Power metal that starts off with an organ, and features lower-pitched vocals and a catchy chorus. Probably my favourite song of the comp.

Who Cares - Out Of My Mind
Ian Gillan, Tony Iommi and Jon Lord - this was either going to be awesome or a big disappointment. Thankfully, it's the former. It's a pity this combination only ever produced the single and not a full album.

Wig Wam - Wild One
I actually came across this band when I was in Sweden about six or seven years ago and they took part in that year's Eurovision. It was probably the only proper rock song in the contest and definitely the stand-out for me. I'd forgotten about the band since then, but this song sounds just like I remember, a hugely enjoyable old-school glam metal song.

I really enjoyed this disc. No real duds - even the songs I wasn't that keen on I didn't mind too much. Apart from the Darkness, the bands I'm interested in are:

Holy Cross
Axehammer
Lonewolf
Striker
Zuul
Lost Horizon
Powerwolf

which I would say is a pretty good return.
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 3:58 pm

tohostudios wrote:

The Singles Collection Vol II. That album also has covers from Gang Green, CCR and the Misfits. All around good representation of their sound.
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 4:18 pm

kmorg wrote:
OK, Micah (jettafiend) sent me 2 discs, and here is my thought on them.

Disc 1:

Liberation (From the Blazing Wasteland)(ECM Version) - Armageddon
More Than Conquerors – Armageddon

Grand opening with two blazing conquerors (pun intended) from Armageddon. One of the only “old school” power metal bands in the Christian metal history. These guys, me thinks, had a lot in common with early Savatage, and that is of course a huge plus! And, yes, I already own this album Very Happy Oh, and I just found out that they are recording a new album!!!!

Get Ready For the War - Arnion
Regret Be Healed – Arnion

One of the first, and arguably best, Christian bands to get noticed in the new wave of thrash metal bands, here’s Arnion from Brazil. I do own this CD as well, but have to admit that I have yet to listen through the album properly. But if these 2 tracks are an indication, I better remedy that soon! This is very cool, “old school” thrash metal, reminding me a little of Anthrax. I believe that Arnion are already broken up, and that is a shame, because I really like what I hear! “Regret Be Healed” is a favorite!

War Ensemble - As I Lay Dying
The Hellion - As I Lay Dying
Electric Eye - As I Lay Dying

As I Lay Dying is a band whom I have heard about for years. However, due to my aversion against, pretty much, anything that smells of newer modern metal, I have never given them much notice in the past. I’m not sure that will change much after hearing these 3 tracks, because non of them are As I Lay Dying songs  Yes, this is Slayers “War Ensemble” and Judas Priest’s “The Hellion/Electric Eye” filtered through the agro-metal/neo-thrash metal filter that is As I Lay Dying. Interesting, but never mind blowing.

Pride & Joy - Coverdale/Page
Shake My Tree - Coverdale/Page

Now, this is a change in pace! It’s actually kind of odd that I do not own a single CD with any of these fellas main bands! No, that is not entirely true, because I do own a Whitesnake best-of compilation that I have listened to ones…. But this is a digression. Coverdale/Page delivers music that, well, you might expect from Coverdale and Page! Duh. This is bluesy hard rock, and it’s catchy as heck! “Pride & Joy” rolls along like a steam train, and it will run you over! “Shake My Tree” is another choice cut, with some cool playing from Page. I think I’ll pick this up when I see it in a bargain bin the next time!

Sky - Craving Theo
Welcome You - Craving Theo

I’ve never even heard the name of this band before. Not sure how to label them, but modern hard rock might be an umbrella to put them under. Too me they sound a little bit like Galactic Cowboys. Not really my thang, but that don’t make it bad.

Baptized In Blood - Final Axe
Blind Faith - Final Axe

Another band I am already familiar with, as I already own the CD these 2 picks are from. Final Axe is no frills heavy metal, nothing less, nothing more. Still, although I like what I hear I never have the urge to listen to the album over and over again.

On Black Wings - Halcyon Way
Stand Up - Halcyon Way

I’ve been meaning to pick up this bands stuff for ages. But, as ultmetal usually says, too many CD’s, too little money. Halycon Way is a killer power/prog metal band, and their music is right up my alley! “Stand Up” is a cover of the song from the Rockstar movie, right?

Out Of Breath - Join The Dead
Self-Inflicted Pain - Join The Dead

Yes, Yes, Yes! Join The Dead deserves more recognition! I own the album, and I love it. This is thrash metal done the right way. It’s not retro for retro’s sake, and it’s not modern either. It’s just thrash metal! Crank it up!

Disc 2:

Theories from Another World - Paradise Lost
Tragic Idol - Paradise Lost

Paradise Lost Lost me rather quickly beyond their debut. Not that I listened a lot to that album either, but it’s the only one I’ve ever bothered to listen to all the way through. I’m actually surprised on how much I enjoyed the songs provided here. Sure, the death metal is gone, but Paradise Lost seems to do the goth-tinged “dark-metal” quite well! Sentenced suddenly didn’t seem so original anymore. Hmm, maybe I need to investigate further…..

You Can't Break Me - Precious Death
Hello - Precious Death

What If King’s X, Galactic Cowboys and Metallica had a baby? Well, Precious Death comes close! It’s artsy, it’s alternative, and it’s, at times, really great. I have all of the band’s full length albums, and enjoy about half of them. “You Can’t Break Me” is a favorite though.

The Most Beautiful Promise - Saving Grace
U Becoming You - Saving Grace

Well, this is modern metal, not far from Becoming The Archetype. Again, not bad, just not my thing, I guess. I’m not even sure why.

Hateworld - The Crucified
Fellowship of Thieves - The Crucified

More songs from albums I already own. This time it’s The Crucified, and their brand of crossover thrash. I was never a huge fan, but at least “Fellowship of Thieves” is one of my favorite tracks from them.

Man Named Hell - The Showdown
Forget My Name - The Showdown

This band, I remember, was hailed as the new frontrunners of Christian metal. Again, the newer metal bands just never excited me, so I never checked them out. That is what is cool with these comp swaps, you get to hear stuff you would never bother to check out on your own. Angry vocals; check, downtuned guitar; check, very little guitar-wizardry; check. Yup, this is modern metalcore, and it does very little for me. Then the second song kicks in, and it’s like listening to a totally different band! Suddenly it’s a straight ahead hard rock band!? Weird. I like the second tune much more than the first!

Heavy Laden - Stricken
Awakened – Stricken

This is one of the few bands on Roxx Records that I never checked out. Not sure why though. Can’t say that these 2 songs makes me wanna come back for more though. A bland mix of metal and hard rock, with gruff vocals, and muffled production. Next!

World Come Crashing Down - Undercover
Land of Luxury – Undercover

I remember we used to have ‘Boys and Girls Renounce the World’ on LP at home when I was growing up. Must have been one of my older brothers who brought that home. I could never could get into their brand of punk-ish hard rock back then, and I can’t remember anything from said album today. These 2 tracks are from a newer album, but I know I have heard “World Come Crushing Down” before. I liked these 2 songs, cool stuff!

It's a Long Way to the Top (If You Wanna Rock N' Roll) Dropkick Murphy's
Rock N' Roll - Dropkick Murphy's

A perfect way to end a CD. I do not own any Dropkick Murphy’s, but I love their brand of Irish pub/punk/rock! It’s just one long party!!!! And covering AC/DC and Motörhead is also a good thing in my book!
[b]

Wow! Thanks for the kind words.

I put the AILD cover in the mix because I like their take on the covers even though it is not a direct representation of their sound.

Craving Theo were a local band from Portland OR that made a small dent in the modern rock scene in the closing 90's and dawn of the 2000's. CT played some shows with 3 Doors Down (I know) and Collective Soul (I believe). Unfortunately, they broke up right after they signed a contract with Columbia. Could be that they are local boys, but for some reason, their sound always stuck out to me from the glut of modern rock clones that were on the radio at the time. Unfortunately, I never had the opportunity to see them live.

The Undercover album, "Balance of Power" is their absolute best IMHO. I like the doomy alternative sound that they achieve on it. This album goes for stupid amounts on Amazon and Ebay but I lucked up on it for $4.00 at a Goodwill in immaculate condition. This album really reminds me of Mad at the World's pop sensibilities meets the sludgy slow heaviness of Rose.

I am glad you found some stuff to like on there.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 5:43 pm

jettafiend wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

The Singles Collection Vol II. That album also has covers from Gang Green, CCR and the Misfits. All around good representation of their sound.

Wow, I have that CD and never noticed those were on there. I think I was disappointed with that CD because it pulled so heavily from their early albums and I like their stuff from Sing Loud Sing Proud on better.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 6:33 pm

tohostudios wrote:
jettafiend wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

Wow, I have that CD and never noticed those were on there. I think I was disappointed with that CD because it pulled so heavily from their early albums and I like their stuff from Sing Loud Sing Proud on better.

Ditto, although, I don't think that they have put out a bad album.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

COMP SWAP XI - The reviews
Page 2 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next