Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ten More Years of Iron Maiden?

Go down 
+13
jstate
QuothTheRaven
exact33
James B.
Required Fields
Dark Horseman
manny
TheGreatDuck
thejokeriv
Shawn Of Fire
Tur-Thalion
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

Ten More Years of Iron Maiden?  Empty
PostSubject: Ten More Years of Iron Maiden?    Ten More Years of Iron Maiden?  Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 3:46 pm

Steve Harris predicts that Iron Maiden have about ten years left in'em. Say it ain't so, Steve!! No

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/steve_harris_maiden_gone_in_10_years.html

ClassicRockMagazine reports, Iron Maiden mainman Steve Harris thinks his band may have more years left in them - but they'll be gone within ten.

Harris reveals he has doubts about whether to take his solo album "British Lion" on the club tour he'd previously said he was thinking about.

Maiden released their fifteenth studio album "The Final Frontier" in 2010. That led to speculation the band was winding down, based on comments Harris had made years earlier saying they'd make fifteen records then split. He later admitted the album title was a play on those rumours, and said the band would continue as long as they felt able.

Asked by The Quietus if there's any reason they can't keep going for another decade, the bassist says: "I don't know about ten years. I think we've certainly got another five years in us - but it's hard to say.

"As you get older it gets doubly hard to keep yourself fit and in shape. We do work really hard on doing that. We'd be selling ourselves and everyone else short if we didn't, so we do look after ourselves.

"It does get tougher - I don't play football much any more, partly because I've had so many problems with my back that I can only play the odd match here or there. Unfortunately it's five years since I've played a full season of football and that's something that I miss a lot; but I had to make a decision. I play a lot of tennis."

Harris reflects that while Maiden could once have been regarded as a band towards the heaviest end of metal, "the emergence of hardcore and extreme bands have made us sound more like the 'Moody Blues'!"

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Ten More Years of Iron Maiden?    Ten More Years of Iron Maiden?  Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 3:50 pm

It's a b*tch getting old.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Tur-Thalion

Number of posts : 350

PostSubject: Re: Ten More Years of Iron Maiden?    Ten More Years of Iron Maiden?  Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 4:01 pm

I read that more as 5 years left than 10
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Ten More Years of Iron Maiden?    Ten More Years of Iron Maiden?  Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 4:03 pm

2 studio albums, 4 tours, 4 live albums...then box-set & DVD mania begins to clear the vaults.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Ten More Years of Iron Maiden?    Ten More Years of Iron Maiden?  Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 4:05 pm

Tur-Thalion wrote:

At least five more, ten at most. I'm hoping for the "most."

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Ten More Years of Iron Maiden?    Ten More Years of Iron Maiden?  Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 4:15 pm

I can't see Maiden (or many other older bands) giving up on making music. It's what they do, it's in their blood. There are no rules that say you have to stop at 65 in rock n' roll.

The physical and mental demands of touring is a different story altogether. I can see them scaling that sort of thing way, way back.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Ten More Years of Iron Maiden?    Ten More Years of Iron Maiden?  Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 4:43 pm

Personally I think that after the Maiden England tour is over (next year) we'll get a new album/tour and then they will decide if they want to keep going. I don't see them jumping on the endless "farewell tour" circuit. But, personally I can see them calling it a day after the next new album tour.

And I am sure they have a ton of stuff in the vaults to get out a DVD/Blu-Ray release every year for a while after they retire.

Back to top Go down
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

PostSubject: Re: Ten More Years of Iron Maiden?    Ten More Years of Iron Maiden?  Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 5:06 pm

...And after a couple of years, we get a 50th anniversary reunion in 2025! Complete with Paul Day on vocals!
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Ten More Years of Iron Maiden?    Ten More Years of Iron Maiden?  Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 5:08 pm

I can see 5 years but I have to agree MG, at this point its not about money, this is what they do, its all they know, and its in their blood
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Ten More Years of Iron Maiden?    Ten More Years of Iron Maiden?  Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 5:42 pm

I think it's the tours that keep them relevant though. TFF was good enough but would it have sold if they didn't go on the road?
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Ten More Years of Iron Maiden?    Ten More Years of Iron Maiden?  Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 5:44 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Tur-Thalion wrote:

At least five more, ten at most. I'm hoping for the "most."

Same here.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Ten More Years of Iron Maiden?    Ten More Years of Iron Maiden?  Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 6:00 pm

Maybe by then Dick Brucington will be a space shuttle pilot for Virgin and we can fly to see Maiden on Moon Base Alpha

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Ten More Years of Iron Maiden?    Ten More Years of Iron Maiden?  Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 7:21 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I can't see Maiden (or many other older bands) giving up on making music. It's what they do, it's in their blood. There are no rules that say you have to stop at 65 in rock n' roll.

The physical and mental demands of touring is a different story altogether. I can see them scaling that sort of thing way, way back.

that would be my guess too. At this point if they dont tour, they really could do pretty much anything they want in terms of number of albums. If I had to trade touring for more albums, I would take it.

thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Ten More Years of Iron Maiden?    Ten More Years of Iron Maiden?  Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 8:34 pm

James B. wrote:
Maybe by then Dick Brucington will be a space shuttle pilot for Virgin and we can fly to see Maiden on Moon Base Alpha

LOL!!! It'll be "The Final Frontier" history tour at that point!
Back to top Go down
QuothTheRaven
Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

PostSubject: Re: Ten More Years of Iron Maiden?    Ten More Years of Iron Maiden?  Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 9:07 pm

I would love to see a "fan favorites" tour before they quit touring. Love the new stuff and seeing it live, but their classics have been left for encores recently. It would be nice to see the classics take center stage again. headbanger
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Ten More Years of Iron Maiden?    Ten More Years of Iron Maiden?  Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 11:10 pm

QuothTheRaven wrote:
I would love to see a "fan favorites" tour before they quit touring. Love the new stuff and seeing it live, but their classics have been left for encores recently. It would be nice to see the classics take center stage again. headbanger

Have you seen the set list for the current tour, Maiden England?

Moon Child, Can I Play with Madness, The Prisoner, Two Minutes To Midnight, Afraid To Shoot Strangers, The Trooper, Number Of The Beast, Phantom Of The Opera, Run To The Hills, Wasted Years, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, The Clairvoyant, Fear Of The Dark, Iron Maiden Encore: Aces High, The Evil That Men Do, Running Free

Looks like the classic are center stage to me!
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Ten More Years of Iron Maiden?    Ten More Years of Iron Maiden?  Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 9:47 am

I truly hope that ten years from now we are able to look back at these comments and laugh at the notion of Maiden calling it a day. Sucks about Harris not being able to play soccer.

That is one killer set list.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Ten More Years of Iron Maiden?    Ten More Years of Iron Maiden?  Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 9:57 am

I really don't want to read too much into Steve's statements. As most of the "old guard" of hard rock & heavy metal start getting into their 50's & 60's, it's only natural that the subject of "how long can you keep doing this" is going to come up in interviews.

So they're posed with the question and the response is usually pretty vague. "I dunno, 10 years?". He's just throwing a number out there. Could be more, could be less. The band members themselves don't know.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Ten More Years of Iron Maiden?    Ten More Years of Iron Maiden?  Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 9:58 am

thejokeriv wrote:
QuothTheRaven wrote:

Moon Child, Can I Play with Madness, The Prisoner, Two Minutes To Midnight, Afraid To Shoot Strangers, The Trooper, Number Of The Beast, Phantom Of The Opera, Run To The Hills, Wasted Years, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, The Clairvoyant, Fear Of The Dark, Iron Maiden Encore: Aces High, The Evil That Men Do, Running Free

Every other tour is like this lately...new album tour gets all the recent stuff, then the next tour is a "hits" tour.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Ten More Years of Iron Maiden?    Ten More Years of Iron Maiden?  Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 10:58 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
QuothTheRaven wrote:

Every other tour is like this lately...new album tour gets all the recent stuff, then the next tour is a "hits" tour.

Yep, and I think it keeps them relevant. Instead of going out and doing a "new album" tour with one or two tracks (see KISS and most of the other older hard rock/metal bands), the entire point of the tour is to tour the new album. It took some balls to go out and play the whole new album on the A Matter Of Life & Death tour, especially considering that they were 14 albums and 30 years since they started at that point when most bands would do one or two tracks.

Whoever thought of rotating history tour/new album tour was a genius - keeps those that just want the 80's coming to the shows and the new album tours keep the new, younger fans happy that discovered them with the newer albums.

I don't think the statement shocked anyone - most of the fan club people I know have felt they are winding down anyway (as did some of the crew I talked to on the past couple of tours). Enjoy it while we can!

Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Ten More Years of Iron Maiden?    Ten More Years of Iron Maiden?  Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 11:09 am

If you think about it, they're all 50+...10 years to retirement is about right.

Plus, as has been stated, they may retire from touring and being "Iron Maiden"...but they'll still make music on some level for a while after that.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Ten More Years of Iron Maiden?    Ten More Years of Iron Maiden?  Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 11:56 am

There's plenty of old blues guys that still make and play live music well into their 80's, so I don't see why rock bands couldn't do the same if the passion/ability is there. They'll just need to cut back on the physical rigors a bit.

So Bruce won't do splits off the drum riser anymore. I can live with that. And the less spastic movements Janick makes, well that's just icing on the cake.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Ten More Years of Iron Maiden?    Ten More Years of Iron Maiden?  Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 12:43 pm

Quote :
So Bruce won't do splits off the drum riser anymore. I can live with that. And the less spastic movements Janick makes, well that's just icing on the cake.

But that cuts back on all the pithy comments you make about him. Smile
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Ten More Years of Iron Maiden?    Ten More Years of Iron Maiden?  Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 12:45 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
Quote :

But that cuts back on all the pithy comments you make about him. Smile

I'm sure I'll find something else to be snarky about. Ten More Years of Iron Maiden?  499945

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Ten More Years of Iron Maiden?    Ten More Years of Iron Maiden?  Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 12:48 pm

Tur-Thalion wrote:

Same here
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ten More Years of Iron Maiden?    Ten More Years of Iron Maiden?  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ten More Years of Iron Maiden?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next