Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Barren Cross..... revisited...

Go down 
+25
deathisgain
MetalGuy71
glassprison
MetallicSeminarian
bgsully
mikeinfla
DallasBlack
Lurideath
JBall_Z
exact33
James B.
stepcousin
brokentulsa
T-Roy
Dark Horseman
kmorg
manny
thejokeriv
Shawn Of Fire
Sutekh
krokus
Fat Freddy
bassman
jettafiend
mr.electric39
29 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

Barren Cross..... revisited... Empty
PostSubject: Barren Cross..... revisited...   Barren Cross..... revisited... Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 10:05 pm

Back in the day I used to play BC all the time... Until I finally burned myself out on them.... Then they broke up so it made the pool of available material limited....

I've been spinning both Atomic Arena and Rock For the King and I really still enjoy both, but Atomic Arena is definitely their best album from consistency's standpoint musically...

State of Control was patchy with pretty sterile production... I mean how do you tame a Mega Boogie amp???? Elefante bros did... I still love some of the tunes especially 2000 Years... wow!!

I'm glad lyrically they expanded beyond a 3 min+ evangelism msg.... I think that is what helps to give their music some of the statying power...

Rattle Your Cage is their rawest but heaviest sounding album imo... There are some Christian bands that I just cant handle anymore but BC seems to be one that has stood the test of time...

Too bad we'll probably never get a new album.... Too much and not enough action....

Their albums are ones that should get proper remaster and reissues, but I'm sure due to the litigation costs it'll never happen.... Just like White Cross or Bride material on StarSong/EMI....

Any thoughts??

Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: Barren Cross..... revisited...   Barren Cross..... revisited... Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 11:50 pm

I totally agree, I would also like to see a reissue of the original E.P. "Believe" as I have never heard it. "Rattle Your Cage" is by far my favorite BC album and I would love a reissue with bonus tracks. "Hotter than Hell" is another that severely needs an update as the original has terrible production.
Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: Barren Cross..... revisited...   Barren Cross..... revisited... Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 11:51 pm

Atomic Arena is one of the best metal albums ever........secular or Christian. IMO, of course.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37614

PostSubject: Re: Barren Cross..... revisited...   Barren Cross..... revisited... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 12:41 am

I've said it before, I'll say it again: Atomic Arena is a Top Ten album of all time for me.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Barren Cross..... revisited...   Barren Cross..... revisited... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 2:08 am

BARREN CROSS forever same with BLOODGOOD, STRYPER, or old BRIDE, timeless music. It sounded great back in the day, during the 90s, today and in 60 years.
Back to top Go down
Sutekh
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Sutekh

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: Barren Cross..... revisited...   Barren Cross..... revisited... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 8:04 am

I have all the BC albums, but with the exception of Rattle Your Cage, haven't played a full one in years (a number of tracks are on my favourites playlist). Time to break them out again!
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Barren Cross..... revisited...   Barren Cross..... revisited... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 8:27 am

BC was one of my favorites back in late high school. Mike Lee was a huge influence on my singing early on. I loved the first 3 albums but when they dropped out, my interest did too. I had RYC when it came out, but it failed to make an impression on me at the time. I have not heard any of their material in years.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Barren Cross..... revisited...   Barren Cross..... revisited... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 10:14 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
I've said it before, I'll say it again: Atomic Arena is a Top Ten album of all time for me.

Atomic Arena is an AWESOME album!!!!
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Barren Cross..... revisited...   Barren Cross..... revisited... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 10:33 am

I never heard of this band, unit FF started raving about them, as a teen, the only Christian metal bands I had heard of where Stryper ( I sort of liked them), The Rez Band (loathed them) and later on Vengeance Rising thanks to Guitar World.

So to me this entire genre of Christian metal is a mystery to me. I did enjoy Barren Cross and 'Atomic Arena' is a kick as... I meant a rockin' album!
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Barren Cross..... revisited...   Barren Cross..... revisited... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 11:09 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
BC was one of my favorites back in late high school. Mike Lee was a huge influence on my singing early on. I loved the first 3 albums but when they dropped out, my interest did too. I had RYC when it came out, but it failed to make an impression on me at the time. I have not heard any of their material in years.

you should give ryc another try. I bet you'll "get" it now.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Barren Cross..... revisited...   Barren Cross..... revisited... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 11:39 am

Rattle Your Cage has its moments but it doesn't come close to Atomic or State IMO.

...although when it came out in '94 I liked it just fine. I suppose at the time I was just happy to have one of my favorite bands back in action.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Barren Cross..... revisited...   Barren Cross..... revisited... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 11:58 am

Those first three albums aged well imo and RYC, about half is still listenable.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Barren Cross..... revisited...   Barren Cross..... revisited... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 12:00 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:

That song on RYC about Mike offering the girl at the bus stop his umbrella (whatever it's called) makes me cringe. "Daddy wouldn't like you either -- aaaah-aaaaaahhhh-AAAAAHHHHH-aaaaahhhhhh!" Laughing very hard

Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Barren Cross..... revisited...   Barren Cross..... revisited... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 1:35 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Dark Horseman wrote:

That song on RYC about Mike offering the girl at the bus stop his umbrella (whatever it's called) makes me cringe. "Daddy wouldn't like you either -- aaaah-aaaaaahhhh-AAAAAHHHHH-aaaaahhhhhh!" Laughing very hard

I don't even own a copy of RYC! I borrowed a copy from a friend years ago, made a cassette dub that is LONG gone and only listened to it a few times. I remember being deeply disappointed with the album at the time.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: Barren Cross..... revisited...   Barren Cross..... revisited... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 5:20 pm

While "Rock for the King" is still my favorite BC, Atomic Arena is still awesome as well. State of Control, well, it's good, but it's not one I've ever revisited often.

Never heard Rattle Your Cage, but it sounds like I should? Some saying It's their heaviest!!??
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Barren Cross..... revisited...   Barren Cross..... revisited... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 5:33 pm

I just picked up a copy of atomic arena and state of control. I dig Atomic Arena way more..just a heavy solid album!
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Barren Cross..... revisited...   Barren Cross..... revisited... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 7:19 pm

I recently revisited some old christian bands and BC sounded so very good, all 4 studio albums sounded great.

Bride and Bloodgood not so much and I don't know why, and I love those bands. Maybe the next time I break them out they will sound fresh. I hope so.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12590

PostSubject: Re: Barren Cross..... revisited...   Barren Cross..... revisited... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 9:43 pm

great band

I saw them probably 20 times in 1987 alone

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Barren Cross..... revisited...   Barren Cross..... revisited... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 10:29 pm

I havent listened to them in years. Ill have to get the cds out.

jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: Barren Cross..... revisited...   Barren Cross..... revisited... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 4:09 pm

T-Roy wrote:
While "Rock for the King" is still my favorite BC, Atomic Arena is still awesome as well. State of Control, well, it's good, but it's not one I've ever revisited often.

Never heard Rattle Your Cage, but it sounds like I should? Some saying It's their heaviest!!??

By Far!! A must listen album.
Back to top Go down
JBall_Z
Metal master
Metal master
JBall_Z

Number of posts : 919

PostSubject: Re: Barren Cross..... revisited...   Barren Cross..... revisited... Icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2012 12:37 am

You've all inspired me. Now I've got to break out the Barren Cross collection.

Regarding RYC, there are three songs on that CD (Here I Am, Time For Love, and Midnight Son) that I think are absolutely awesome, three of my all time favorite Barren Cross songs.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12590

PostSubject: Re: Barren Cross..... revisited...   Barren Cross..... revisited... Icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2012 8:03 am

JBall_Z wrote:
You've all inspired me. Now I've got to break out the Barren Cross collection.

Regarding RYC, there are three songs on that CD (Here I Am, Time For Love, and Midnight Son) that I think are absolutely awesome, three of my all time favorite Barren Cross songs.

my favorites are "let it go and let it die" and "someplace faraway"

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3891

PostSubject: Re: Barren Cross..... revisited...   Barren Cross..... revisited... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 2:52 pm

I loved this band once upon a time! Didn't care for Rock for the King as I thought it was a bit glammy sounding for my tastes. Atomic Arena and State of Control were absolutely phenomenal in my opinion. Rattle Your Cage was good for the most part but there's a few LAME songs on it that I constantly skip when I would listen to it.

Would really be nice if they released a new album!
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Barren Cross..... revisited...   Barren Cross..... revisited... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 2:54 pm

I want a new album but I wonder what it would sound like? Would it be listenable?
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Barren Cross..... revisited...   Barren Cross..... revisited... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 8:40 pm

I have Rattle Your Cage and Atomic Arena, both are great (though I agree with Lurideath-yeah, I'm suprised too Very Happy -that there are a few lame songs on RYC).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Barren Cross..... revisited...   Barren Cross..... revisited... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Barren Cross..... revisited...
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next