Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Galactic Cowboys

Go down 
+25
shamgar75
nevermore
Leatherface
Sutekh
James B.
DeathCult
Jedilink
DallasBlack
rattpoison
candlemass
stepcousin
7thSecond
MetalH
T-Roy
AchrisK
thejokeriv
Shiney
Hamer12
MetalGuy71
Thrasher73
Todd Jaymz
SAHB Healer
ultmetal
mc666
Troublezone
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage

Galactic Cowboys - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Galactic Cowboys   Galactic Cowboys - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2010 8:20 am

MetalH wrote:
I'm still holding for a reunion cd........

That'd be great...they'd probably do it through Molken Music...
Back to top Go down
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

Number of posts : 2206

PostSubject: Re: Galactic Cowboys   Galactic Cowboys - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2010 8:43 am

I wish they would tour more often.
Back to top Go down
bgsully
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bgsully

Number of posts : 1692

PostSubject: Re: Galactic Cowboys   Galactic Cowboys - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 13, 2013 11:18 am

I never gave them much of a chance back in the day, but reading through these comments made me youtube them. I have to say I'm liking what I'm hearing.
My dislike for them probably stemmed from the fact, that when I was introduced to them (around 93) I was hard into thrash and delving into death and doom.....oh well, my loss.

Collection starts now. headbanger
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Galactic Cowboys   Galactic Cowboys - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 03, 2023 5:19 pm

Mega-ultra-necro-thread bump:

So I just recently "discovered" Galactic Cowboys. (I know, I know...where have I been?) Till a few weeks ago, they were one of those bands I always heard/read much about, but never actually heard much of.

I vaguely remember seeing their video for "We're Not Amused" on Headbanger's Ball once or twice back in the day but that's pretty much all I knew about 'em.

...but when I ordered the X-Cops reissue from Brutal Planet Distribution a few weeks ago, it came with a sampler CD of a bunch of other songs/bands they've reissued, one of which was "Stress" from Galactic Cowboys' Machine Fish CD. I really liked that song a lot so I started YouTubin' more G.C. stuff and now I've got a copy of Space In Your Face (which I have been playing a LOT via YouTube) coming to me from a seller on Discogs.

Sooooo, which other albums should I check out? Machine Fish is probably next on my list, but as I'm almost totally unfamiliar with this band, I don't even know how many albums they have, let alone which ones might be good, better, best, worst, etc.

Any guidance would be appreciated!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Galactic Cowboys   Galactic Cowboys - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 03, 2023 6:23 pm

I’m a big fan of their first three albums. The s/t, Space in Your Face and Machine Fish. Those are the more metallic and thrashy ones. After that they toned it down quite a bit with a sort of STP type approach. Still good stuff on those though…

They released a reunion album in 2017 “Long Way Back to the Moon”. All together they currently have 8 albums.

You can get their whole history here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galactic_Cowboys

Last edited by Troublezone on Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Galactic Cowboys   Galactic Cowboys - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 03, 2023 6:29 pm

I also recommend their “Feel the Rage” EP. It’s from the Machine Fish sessions. They have a Kiss cover of the song “I Want You”.

Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Galactic Cowboys   Galactic Cowboys - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 03, 2023 8:40 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

So I just recently "discovered" Galactic Cowboys. (I know, I know...where have I been?) Till a few weeks ago, they were one of those bands I always heard/read much about, but never actually heard much of.

I vaguely remember seeing their video for "We're Not Amused" on Headbanger's Ball once or twice back in the day but that's pretty much all I knew about 'em.

...but when I ordered the X-Cops reissue from Brutal Planet Distribution a few weeks ago, it came with a sampler CD of a bunch of other songs/bands they've reissued, one of which was "Stress" from Galactic Cowboys' Machine Fish CD. I really liked that song a lot so I started YouTubin' more G.C. stuff and now I've got a copy of Space In Your Face (which I have been playing a LOT via YouTube) coming to me from a seller on Discogs.

Sooooo, which other albums should I check out? Machine Fish is probably next on my list, but as I'm almost totally unfamiliar with this band, I don't even know how many albums they have, let alone which ones might be good, better, best, worst, etc.

Like TZ said the first 3 are well worth picking up along with the Feel The Rage ep. The last album was pretty good too.

Troublezone likes this post

Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Galactic Cowboys   Galactic Cowboys - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 03, 2023 9:23 pm

nevermore wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Like TZ said the first 3 are well worth picking up along with the Feel The Rage ep. The last album was pretty good too.

I agree about the last album. It should have been the follow up to Machine Fish. The “middle era” albums are a little too mellow overall. They leaned way too much into the Beatles influence and removed the heavy metallic element. It was like their versions of Load, Reload and Risk. I hated how almost every band lost their balls in the grunge era.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Galactic Cowboys   Galactic Cowboys - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 04, 2023 8:28 am

Thanks for the tips, TZ and NM. Looks like I got some more YouTubin' to do.

The Discogs seller msg'd me yesterday to say he'll be shipping my Space In Your Face CD tomorrow (after the July 4 holiday) so that'll be in my hands soon.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Galactic Cowboys   Galactic Cowboys - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 04, 2023 6:36 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Thanks for the tips, TZ and NM.  Looks like I got some more YouTubin' to do.

The Discogs seller msg'd me yesterday to say he'll be shipping my Space In Your Face CD tomorrow (after the July 4 holiday) so that'll be in my hands soon.

Glad you finally gave GC a chance. They’re a cool but unusual band. They also have a good sense of humor!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Galactic Cowboys   Galactic Cowboys - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 12, 2023 6:11 pm

My Space In Your Face CD arrived from Discogs today. Woohoo!

Troublezone likes this post

Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Galactic Cowboys   Galactic Cowboys - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 12, 2023 7:12 pm

Here’s a cool gem from a Petra tribute they played on. They really made the song their own.

(Note)
The late 90’s music scene was awful. If you ever went in a Christian bookstore to buy some music, it was all crappy post-Nirvana stuff like Jars of Clay, Audio Adrenaline and the early Tooth & Nail bands like MxPx. At that point, the days of thrash were over. The old guard had followed in the footsteps of Metallica’s black album.
Anyways… I remember seeing this Petra tribute in the “Berean” store. I didn’t pick it up because most of the bands are terrible. Years later I finally heard this tune. I like it a lot.

Musically I would describe it as if you were floating on a river and you occasionally hit some white water rapids. That’s their trademark: heavy to calm style (or vice versa). Kinda like… Pink Floyd and the Beatles to Anthrax.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Galactic Cowboys   Galactic Cowboys - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Galactic Cowboys
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4