Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What Do You Do While Listening To An Album/Albums?

Go down 
+28
Tur-Thalion
SAHB Healer
AchrisK
stepcousin
DallasBlack
krokus
nevermore
JBall_Z
mc666
Dark Horseman
Witchfinder
thejokeriv
Fat Freddy
Orion Crystal Ice
MetalGuy71
James B.
exact33
Addy
BearOnUnicycle
Gilbert
rawr!
Wurthless
EmoElmo
adrian
ultmetal
Required Fields
HeavyMetal
32 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
HeavyMetal
Metal novice
Metal novice
HeavyMetal

Number of posts : 33

What Do You Do While Listening To An Album/Albums? Empty
PostSubject: What Do You Do While Listening To An Album/Albums?   What Do You Do While Listening To An Album/Albums? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 11:28 pm

I'm really interested in how other people absorb the music they love.

I have a somewhat short attention span when it comes to albums that I have not heard before. Especially if they were released in the past 20 years where CDs were most prevalent and the majority of albums run close to an hour; sometimes over an hour. I try to force myself to sit down and listen to an album from start to finish, but most of the time I get restless and want to do other things, or move around. Something else other than simply sit there. I don't know if that speaks to the quality of the album I'm listening to, or just my own personal habits. Maybe I just find it extremely difficult to sit down in one spot for an hour and do nothing but listen. This is increasingly difficult if I've recently obtained a few albums that I need to listen to and I go from one to the next consecutively, as I feel like I'm just trying to "get through" them so I've heard them. Do you start the album over right away if you have time and/or like it or go to the next one as well?

Also, I listen predominately on my computer after ripping a CD and my eyes become strained from the computer screen, or I feel the urge to go online and do other things and tend to lack the focus on the album.

So, I suppose my question is this: when you first get an album that you never heard before, what do you typically do when listening to it for the first time? Do you just sit there with it playing on headphones/stereo and listen all the way through completely? Do you read or draw or do something to occupy yourself physically as well to not get bored? Do you listen only in the car or at work? What have you found to be the best thing to do when listening to an album to absorb it fully? Is sitting there dissecting the music a little too extreme for your typical heavy metal album?

EDIT: Also, say you want to listen to a favorite, or revisit something from awhile ago, do you follow the same plan as you would for new albums? Or, do you put on familiar albums when you just need something to casually listen to?

I guess that's a little more than one question! Haha.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Do While Listening To An Album/Albums?   What Do You Do While Listening To An Album/Albums? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 11:35 pm

It depends. Sometimes I'm playing video games, sometimes I'm surfing online, sometimes I'm driving.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Do While Listening To An Album/Albums?   What Do You Do While Listening To An Album/Albums? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 11:37 pm

I listen while I Work, Drive, Workout/Cardio, Clean House, just about anything.

I listen to mostly CDs, but use my Ipod when I work out. At home I have my rack system. At work I use my Mac.

Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Do While Listening To An Album/Albums?   What Do You Do While Listening To An Album/Albums? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 11:55 pm

Mostly when I'm driving. Occasionally if I play a video game I'll put on music too
Back to top Go down
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

Number of posts : 626

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Do While Listening To An Album/Albums?   What Do You Do While Listening To An Album/Albums? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 12:29 am

Most of the time to kill the boredom like waiting at a bus stop or doing bank transactions, at night while lying in bed and Just about every time when I do nothing, I can' seem to enjoy it while doing something else

If there is a really good album that comes out, I usually give myself a few shots of hard liquor while enjoying every minute of it, usually give it 2-3 full loops to get the hang of it, pretty good trippin' I must say

Haven't listened to CDs in ages, The iPod is truly a music-lover's wundergadget !
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Do While Listening To An Album/Albums?   What Do You Do While Listening To An Album/Albums? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 12:44 am

I'm about the same way as you, HM. I tend to get restless with albums I haven't heard before, and I prefer album lengths to be between 30-45 minutes. Usually anything longer than that tends to become tedious for me.

Addressing what I do while I listen to music; I usually surf the internet, play the PS3, and clean, among other time consuming activities.

Back to top Go down
rawr!
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 372

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Do While Listening To An Album/Albums?   What Do You Do While Listening To An Album/Albums? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 1:02 am

sometimes i go days or weeks without listening to music, but my "normal" state is to be listening to music most waking hours, and that will entail a soundtrack to most of my daily activities. if it is an album that i am unfamiliar with and wish to give extra attention, i will limit my activities to things that will detract far less from my ability to focus on the music (creating art or having a[n IM] conversation versus reading something i need to think deeply on, if im not just taking a break from everything entirely). back before i had a computer, i would sit and do nothing to absorb new cds with my cd player, and that was nice...i dont really have that kind of time anymore, though, nor are new cds as spaced out as back then.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Do While Listening To An Album/Albums?   What Do You Do While Listening To An Album/Albums? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 4:18 am

Mostly when i'm driving.
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Do While Listening To An Album/Albums?   What Do You Do While Listening To An Album/Albums? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 5:22 am

Usually I take a walk\run. Most of the stuff I listen to is perfect for summer mornings/evenings. It also gives a very special feel to a certain albums.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Do While Listening To An Album/Albums?   What Do You Do While Listening To An Album/Albums? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 7:18 am

Normally I am driving
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23270

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Do While Listening To An Album/Albums?   What Do You Do While Listening To An Album/Albums? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 7:45 am

driving, working and being online.

James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12762

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Do While Listening To An Album/Albums?   What Do You Do While Listening To An Album/Albums? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 7:46 am

Don't listen to punk while having intimate relations with your wife

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40544

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Do While Listening To An Album/Albums?   What Do You Do While Listening To An Album/Albums? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 10:06 am

While driving,working,cutting grass and working out in the mornings
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Do While Listening To An Album/Albums?   What Do You Do While Listening To An Album/Albums? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 10:08 am

These days, it's mostly in the car on the way to and from work, and in work. I listen through my computer's disc drive, but with big, comfy headphones on. I used to listen through my boom-box, but now I share a space with 2 other designers, so we all wear headphones.

When I'm listening at home, it's usually on my little mp3 player. Unless the wife & kids are out. Then I blast it through the stereo and dance around nude. The neighbors seem to dig it.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Do While Listening To An Album/Albums?   What Do You Do While Listening To An Album/Albums? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 10:10 am

depends on what the record is, but I try to have music on 90% of my day/night.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37868

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Do While Listening To An Album/Albums?   What Do You Do While Listening To An Album/Albums? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 10:13 am

I rarely listen to music around my house anymore. Nowadays it's almost exclusively in my car, or on the little CD boombox I keep on my desk at work.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Do While Listening To An Album/Albums?   What Do You Do While Listening To An Album/Albums? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 10:16 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
These days, it's mostly in the car on the way to and from work, and in work. I listen through my computer's disc drive, but with big, comfy headphones on. I used to listen through my boom-box, but now I share a space with 2 other designers, so we all wear headphones.

When I'm listening at home, it's usually on my little mp3 player. Unless the wife & kids are out. Then I blast it through the stereo and dance around nude. The neighbors seem to dig it.

Um, yeah, I didn't need that picture in my head!

For me - at home on my home system (DVD's/Blu-Ray/CD's and streaming from my networked drive thought the directv box), in the car (160GB Ipod connected to car stereo via AUX jack), computer while working.. I aslo have a small Ipod boom box that I use when I have to go into the office.
Back to top Go down
HeavyMetal
Metal novice
Metal novice
HeavyMetal

Number of posts : 33

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Do While Listening To An Album/Albums?   What Do You Do While Listening To An Album/Albums? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 11:16 am

Cool stuff, my friends! It seems the car is where most people tend to get their daily influx of music.

Do you all mostly listen to full albums beginning to end, or do you tend to use the shuffle option?
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7631

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Do While Listening To An Album/Albums?   What Do You Do While Listening To An Album/Albums? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 11:23 am

I drive 45 minutes each way to work so I usually listen in the car. If not then, I listen on my laptop or ipod. If I have plenty of time, I slap the vinyl on the turntable.

When I am reviewing an album, I will listen to it at least 3 times through first. Then I start my review and continue listening as I am writing. I definitely try to give albums 5-6 full spins for each review as I think that's only being fair.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Do While Listening To An Album/Albums?   What Do You Do While Listening To An Album/Albums? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 11:24 am

Most of my listening is done at home, usually while sitting in front of the computer, which is easy since the computer is the main stereo component in my home system.

I listen to full albums, my music collection is so schizophrenic that when I try to play on shuffle it can be a jarring experience. Most of the stuff I listen to came out in the LP era as well so I'm used to listening all the way through.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Do While Listening To An Album/Albums?   What Do You Do While Listening To An Album/Albums? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 11:30 am

HeavyMetal wrote:
Cool stuff, my friends! It seems the car is where most people tend to get their daily influx of music.

Do you all mostly listen to full albums beginning to end, or do you tend to use the shuffle option?

I typically listen to full albums from beginning to end, straight thru in the car or at work. I might shuffle up the playing order if it's an album that I know front-to-back, just for gits & shiggles.

At home on the computer, I'll play a band's whole discograpghy on shuffle or mix-up some playlists.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Do While Listening To An Album/Albums?   What Do You Do While Listening To An Album/Albums? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 12:11 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
HeavyMetal wrote:

I typically listen to full albums from beginning to end, straight thru in the car or at work. I might shuffle up the playing order if it's an album that I know front-to-back, just for gits & shiggles.

At home on the computer, I'll play a band's whole discograpghy on shuffle or mix-up some playlists.

Me too - I tend to listen to full albums and rarely just listen to a song or two
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Do While Listening To An Album/Albums?   What Do You Do While Listening To An Album/Albums? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 12:44 pm

I too listen while on the computer since i've put all my music on it. Shuffle if i'm in the mood, whole albums when that strikes, I mix it up. I listen when working out, when reading, doing almost anything.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Do While Listening To An Album/Albums?   What Do You Do While Listening To An Album/Albums? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 12:56 pm

i can't just sit down & listen to music while doing nothing else. i have to be doing something... anything.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40544

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Do While Listening To An Album/Albums?   What Do You Do While Listening To An Album/Albums? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 12:57 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
HeavyMetal wrote:

Me too - I tend to listen to full albums and rarely just listen to a song or two

I,on the other hand, prefer to mix it up. I like to get the variety of artists. Different strokes for different folks and all that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Do While Listening To An Album/Albums?   What Do You Do While Listening To An Album/Albums? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What Do You Do While Listening To An Album/Albums?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next