Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

EDM thread

Go down 
+13
corplhicks
Wurthless
luckymallet
bassman
Eyesore
Fat Freddy
Dark Horseman
MetalGuy71
jstate
kmorg
chewie
Orion Crystal Ice
vgmaster9
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

EDM thread - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: EDM thread   EDM thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 9:58 am

Eyesore wrote:
Dark Horseman wrote:
It's the rage though. EDM just means, Electronic Dance Music and seems to cover anything that is keyboard driven. Just no my thing.
So EDM is some new term made up by pretentious ass-hat trendsters for music that already has perfectly fine labels?

Hilarious on a metal forum. Metal has more genres than bands!!!
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: EDM thread   EDM thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 3:22 pm

I know that I'm talking to myself in this dark part of the forum, but I don't care I've had a blast choosing these songs! lol!
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: EDM thread   EDM thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2013 6:16 pm

The remixed 'Tron' OST is almost better than the original one, even though....... they left out my favorite piece ('The Game Has Changed') and, for some reason, had to have two 'Son of Flynn' tracks and two 'End of Line' tracks, wtf?

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: EDM thread   EDM thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2013 7:06 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
The remixed 'Tron' OST is almost better than the original one, even though....... they left out my favorite piece ('The Game Has Changed') and, for some reason, had to have two 'Son of Flynn' tracks and two 'End of Line' tracks, wtf?

The only thing I wanted with the Tron Legacy soundtracks were some homages to the original 1982 score; I'm scratching my head as to why we never even hear the love theme. Am I wrong, did I miss it?
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: EDM thread   EDM thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2013 7:17 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Orion Crystal Ice wrote:

The only thing I wanted with the Tron Legacy soundtracks were some homages to the original 1982 score; I'm scratching my head as to why we never even hear the love theme. Am I wrong, did I miss it?

Yeah, I can't say that I've ever really cared about any of that, it's a cruddy movie but a great OST!
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: EDM thread   EDM thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2013 7:46 pm

I love both movies and soundtracks. headbanger

One reason I'm sure that theme wasn't in 'Legacy' is because there wasn't really a love story shoehorned in, thank God. I mean, you knew there was the Sam/Quorra interest from the start, but Quorra saves his ass and is mostly tough the entire time.....it's not all that conventional and not up in your face. Took guts to do that in the face of these anti-feminist rags of film nowadays that patronize the audience with their awkward, obligatory dramatic kiss scenes.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: EDM thread   EDM thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2013 8:07 pm

Have either of you listened to the Squarepusher song?

That has that futuristic vibe and with the Motorcycle sample it sounds like his rejected submission for the Tron soundtrack! Laughing very hard

It is however a great track from a mighty album.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: EDM thread   EDM thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2013 9:52 pm

Loves me some Steve Hillage! Very Happy

Forgot I had this record
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: EDM thread   EDM thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 10:05 am

I liked this style of music back in the 90's when it was called techno. Give me Meat Beat Manifesto, Consolidated, Nitzer Ebb, Utah Saints.

There is a music fest in Pasadena this weekend and since I'm going to be there anyway I thought I might see who is playing around town. I swear there won't be one drum or guitar on the whole bill judging from the acts and their samples. EDM seems to have taken over everything. And this from an event that is supposed to showcase different music. Wonder if this trend will last longer than the 90's version?

Here is a recent one I really love though

Edit: see that I posted almost the same thing a year ago.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: EDM thread   EDM thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 6:34 pm

EDM isn't really a term much used in electronic music circles, it's just a catch all term for people with little interest in the scene (like on here! lol! )

Just from the few that I've posted on here there are examples of IDM, Techno, Drum & Bass, 8 Bit, Trip Hop, Chillout/Ambient and Breakbeat. I don't really think that any of them would thank you for describing them as EDM.

Orbital, Massive Attack, Daft Punk, Boards of Canada, Goldie, Squarepusher and Air have all been around for more than twenty years so it's a little more than a trend!
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: EDM thread   EDM thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 9:48 pm

Ohwow! How could I have been oblivious to this!!!

7 years I've been waiting for a new BoC record! I'd just about given up hope, but it's coming June 11 Very Happy

Looks like they have abandoned the slightly middle of the road sound of The Campfire Headphase and Trans Canada Highway.

I'm sure that you are all as utterly excited as I am!! Wink

greedy greedy greedy greedy greedy

Just ordered the vinyl on pre order
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: EDM thread   EDM thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 12:30 am

EDM gets covered a lot in the LA Weekly (seems to be a thriving local scene here). I've read several of the articles without having a clue what any of them sound like.

lol!
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: EDM thread   EDM thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 8:47 am

Quote :
Orbital, Massive Attack, Daft Punk, Boards of Canada, Goldie, Squarepusher and Air have all been around for more than twenty years so it's a little more than a trend!

By trend I simply meant the mainstream popularity it is currently getting. Kraftwerk has been at it forever too. Love Kraftwerk. I just use the term EDM to describe what I simply used to call techno. No idea on all the sub-genres. Might have to look into that Boards Of Canada.

Quote :
EDM gets covered a lot in the LA Weekly (seems to be a thriving local scene here). I've read several of the articles without having a clue what any of them sound like

It's insane. I keep wondering how long they'll keep Henry Rollins column since it often times seems so out of place from the rest of the music section. That, and he pretty much keeps writing the same thing over and over. I love Rollins and I grew up in DC too, but come on.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: EDM thread   EDM thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 8:52 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Gave some of those clips a try and mmmmm...not my thang.

Stuff like this always makes me think of "Dieter" from SNL:

EDM thread - Page 2 Frand2

"I am insane now. Would you like to touch my monkey?"

"NOW IS DE TIME ON SHCPROKKETS VEN VE DANCE!!"

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: EDM thread   EDM thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 3:43 pm

"He is almost as boring as being alive."
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: EDM thread   EDM thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 10:46 pm

lol!

Although metal doesn't get away with it either

Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: EDM thread   EDM thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2013 12:37 am

This is pretty killer.............. I dig Klaus Schulze, but don't have anything by him past 1978. This might change that.

Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: EDM thread   EDM thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2013 5:57 am

Okay, if we're talking pioneers

They showed a highlighted version of this show on the BBC back in 1986 and I taped it and then wore that video out!

I'm trying to think of a word that is more awesome than awesome!!

For now I'm going with moresome!!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12635

PostSubject: Re: EDM thread   EDM thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2013 9:34 am

I thought EDM was "early death metal"

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: EDM thread   EDM thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2014 10:12 pm

I've been on an electronic kick lately

Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: EDM thread   EDM thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 26, 2014 9:29 am

Here I am, talking to myself again! EDM thread - Page 2 811939 But this tune is awesome! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: EDM thread   EDM thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2014 2:28 pm

I've really been enjoying Klaus Schulze's "La Vie Electronique" series. I have all 15 volumes (so far) and each has something to recommend it. Unreleased live improvs, unreleased studio cuts, etc.

Funny thing is, this guy already has a HUGE discography, so that he has this much choice unreleased stuff as well makes me wonder if/when he sleeps.

I also have to give props to the early mention of VNV Nation in this thread. They're also great live and their vibe is almost "metal" in how they interact with the audience. Always a joy!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: EDM thread   EDM thread - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

EDM thread
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2