Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

top 5 bassists of Glam Metal

Go down 
+13
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Shawn Of Fire
brokentulsa
thejokeriv
manny
nevermore
Dark Horseman
Fat Freddy
TheGreatDuck
jettafiend
stormspell
Temple of Blood
fingers
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

top 5 bassists of Glam Metal - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: top 5 bassists of Glam Metal   top 5 bassists of Glam Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 8:20 pm

tohostudios wrote:

I've been ignoring this thread because as bassman can attest, who pays attention to bass players in the first place?

Me! Not when listening to straight ahead hard rock, because usually there's not much interesting going on. But when listening to bands like Rush, The Who, Yes, etc. I find it hard to NOT notice the exceptional bass playing. Same goes for funk, the bass is the main draw.

Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: top 5 bassists of Glam Metal   top 5 bassists of Glam Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 8:24 pm

Thanks for the honorable mention, Toho!

I would agree with the choices of Rachel Bolan, Billy Sheehan, Jeff Pilson, and Kip Winger.

I would add Marco Mendoza to the list, most recently touring with Whitesnake and Thin Lizzy. Excellent bassist and VERY good backup singer.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: top 5 bassists of Glam Metal   top 5 bassists of Glam Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 8:33 pm

S.D. wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

I've been ignoring this thread because as bassman can attest, who pays attention to bass players in the first place?

Me! Not when listening to straight ahead hard rock, because usually there's not much interesting going on. But when listening to bands like Rush, The Who, Yes, etc. I find it hard to NOT notice the exceptional bass playing. Same goes for funk, the bass is the main draw.

It was a joke SD. Bassman's sig used to always contain a joke about how bass players are ignored. And to be honest, I can name the singer, guitar player and drummer in most of my favorite bands but I always struggle naming the bass player.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: top 5 bassists of Glam Metal   top 5 bassists of Glam Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 8:33 pm

brokentulsa wrote:
Quote :
Tim Gaines did not even play on a Stryper album til 'Against The Law'...

Wrong...check this out..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Gaines

Hm...always heard that he did not play on Stryper albums...guess I was wrong.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: top 5 bassists of Glam Metal   top 5 bassists of Glam Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 8:42 pm

I don't remember Bassman's sig, oh well, guess I ignored it. lol!
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: top 5 bassists of Glam Metal   top 5 bassists of Glam Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 8:50 pm

S.D. wrote:
I don't remember Bassman's sig, oh well, guess I ignored it. lol!

It was stuff like "What do you call a beautiful woman on the arm of the band's bass player? A tattoo."

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: top 5 bassists of Glam Metal   top 5 bassists of Glam Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 9:33 pm

My favorite bass player is what's his name from that glam/hair metal band from the 80's
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17155

PostSubject: Re: top 5 bassists of Glam Metal   top 5 bassists of Glam Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 9:44 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :
Tesla, Dangerous Toys and Skid Row were not glam.

Quote :
Glam metal doesn't exist.

Quote :
Every rock band from the late 80's was like Poison and Winger.

top 5 bassists of Glam Metal - Page 2 I-love-ths-thread

I've been ignoring this thread because as bassman can attest, who pays attention to bass players in the first place? Now that I see it's degenerated into genre-wars, I will continue to ignore it.

Except to say:

A) Glam metal DOES exist (Hardcore Superstar, Gemini Five, Babylon Bombs) and

B) Not all late 80s bands sound like Poison or Winger (the ignorance in that statement is astounding).

Back to ignore mode...

My last statement was "sarcasm" in response to the kid that was trying to get smart about my original post.

Last edited by Troublezone on Wed May 30, 2012 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: top 5 bassists of Glam Metal   top 5 bassists of Glam Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 9:47 pm

Troublezone wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :
Tesla, Dangerous Toys and Skid Row were not glam.

Quote :
Glam metal doesn't exist.

Quote :
Every rock band from the late 80's was like Poison and Winger.

top 5 bassists of Glam Metal - Page 2 I-love-ths-thread

I've been ignoring this thread because as bassman can attest, who pays attention to bass players in the first place? Now that I see it's degenerated into genre-wars, I will continue to ignore it.

Except to say:

A) Glam metal DOES exist (Hardcore Superstar, Gemini Five, Babylon Bombs) and

B) Not all late 80s bands sound like Poison or Winger (the ignorance in that statement is astounding).

Back to ignore mode...

Toho, my last statement was "sarcasm".
Sorry I misunderstood; I should've known better coming from you. Razz

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: top 5 bassists of Glam Metal   top 5 bassists of Glam Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 9:47 pm

Quote :

My favorite bass player is what's his name from that glam/hair metal band from the 80's

Cool, I thought I was the only one.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: top 5 bassists of Glam Metal   top 5 bassists of Glam Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 9:56 pm

manny wrote:

Wow, he's one of my favorites too! He was in that band, you know the one I mean, with that guy singing, who did that album with that song on it.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: top 5 bassists of Glam Metal   top 5 bassists of Glam Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 9:57 pm

TheGreatDuck wrote:
Don't forget Pat Badger!

Does he exist?
Back to top Go down
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

PostSubject: Re: top 5 bassists of Glam Metal   top 5 bassists of Glam Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2012 4:03 am

Glam metal is not a genre of music.It's simply hard rock, AOR and heavy metal bands with the glammy looks. I don't hear a big difference between "glam metal" and "regular" hard rock/heavy metal.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: top 5 bassists of Glam Metal   top 5 bassists of Glam Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2012 9:30 am

TheGreatDuck wrote:
I don't hear a big difference between "glam metal" and "regular" hard rock/heavy metal.

So you don't think there's much of a difference between bands like Metal Church and White Lion?
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: top 5 bassists of Glam Metal   top 5 bassists of Glam Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2012 10:32 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
manny wrote:

Wow, he's one of my favorites too! He was in that band, you know the one I mean, with that guy singing, who did that album with that song on it.

Do you mean that one guy with all that makeup on, who looked like a chick?
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: top 5 bassists of Glam Metal   top 5 bassists of Glam Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2012 11:04 am

That's him. And he's usually in the back in the band pics.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: top 5 bassists of Glam Metal   top 5 bassists of Glam Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2012 11:24 am

metalinmyveins wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
manny wrote:

NO! NO! NO!!! The other dude and that other band, you know the one that had that song
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: top 5 bassists of Glam Metal   top 5 bassists of Glam Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2012 11:41 am

manny wrote:
metalinmyveins wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
manny wrote:

NO! NO! NO!!! The other dude and that other band, you know the one that had that song

Oh, from that one band in L.A. circa 1988!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: top 5 bassists of Glam Metal   top 5 bassists of Glam Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2012 1:58 pm

manny wrote:
metalinmyveins wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
manny wrote:

Oh THAT guy!! Yeah yeah yeah, he was in THAT band, with the guy, you know, who looked like that other guy cuz he wore that thing!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

PostSubject: Re: top 5 bassists of Glam Metal   top 5 bassists of Glam Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2012 4:38 pm

Troublezone wrote:
TheGreatDuck wrote:
I don't hear a big difference between "glam metal" and "regular" hard rock/heavy metal.

So you don't think there's much of a difference between bands like Metal Church and White Lion?
I didn't say that. Probably should have also said it depends on the band. Metal Church and White Lion are indeed quite different bands. However, I wouldn't say White Lion are much different from Van Halen - not to say they're Van Halen clones, but Vito Bratta was obviously heavily influenced by EVH. And even though I'd personally consider VH to be the band that started the glam/hair scene, a lot of people would disagree. And both bands fit into the hard rock genre quite nicely.
Then, bands such as Quiet Riot, Twisted Sister, WASP or Icon had much more in common with Judas Priest and Saxon than Trixter or Tuff.
OTOH, bands like Bon Jovi, Giuffria, House of Lords, Bad English or Giant were closer to Agent Provocateur era Foreigner or Frontiers era Journey than Poison or Motley Crue.
Then you had AC/DC-ish bands like Dirty Looks, Kix, Rhino Bucket or Britny Fox, Zepp-inspired bands like Badlands, Great White and Kingdom Come, funky bands like Bang Tango and Extreme etc.
Hell, had ZZ Top shaved their beards and grown their hair when they released Eliminator, they'd probably be considered a hair band as well.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: top 5 bassists of Glam Metal   top 5 bassists of Glam Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2012 6:51 pm

TheGreatDuck wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
TheGreatDuck wrote:

I didn't say that. Probably should have also said it depends on the band. Metal Church and White Lion are indeed quite different bands. However, I wouldn't say White Lion are much different from Van Halen - not to say they're Van Halen clones, but Vito Bratta was obviously heavily influenced by EVH. And even though I'd personally consider VH to be the band that started the glam/hair scene, a lot of people would disagree. And both bands fit into the hard rock genre quite nicely.
Then, bands such as Quiet Riot, Twisted Sister, WASP or Icon had much more in common with Judas Priest and Saxon than Trixter or Tuff.
OTOH, bands like Bon Jovi, Giuffria, House of Lords, Bad English or Giant were closer to Agent Provocateur era Foreigner or Frontiers era Journey than Poison or Motley Crue.
Then you had AC/DC-ish bands like Dirty Looks, Kix, Rhino Bucket or Britny Fox, Zepp-inspired bands like Badlands, Great White and Kingdom Come, funky bands like Bang Tango and Extreme etc.
Hell, had ZZ Top shaved their beards and grown their hair when they released Eliminator, they'd probably be considered a hair band as well.

I'd say bands like Angel and Sweet had more to do with it... The only element of "glam" in VH was DLR.
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: top 5 bassists of Glam Metal   top 5 bassists of Glam Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2012 11:20 am

Troublezone wrote:
TheGreatDuck wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
TheGreatDuck wrote:

I'd say bands like Angel and Sweet had more to do with it... The only element of "glam" in VH was DLR.

I agree with Angel and Sweet, but one of the biggest influences on the Glam/hair/pop metal scene was Hanoi Rocks. Thier look and the snotty punk attitude and swagger influenced bands like the Crue in a big way. Then there are bands like Ratt that were pure metal on their debut e.p. but traded their commercialized their sound.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: top 5 bassists of Glam Metal   top 5 bassists of Glam Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2012 11:27 am

Glam is actually a product of the 70s, not the 80s. All glam bands from the 80s thru today owe it all to the 70s... bands like Sweet, T-Rex, Slade, Angel, Bowie (ziggy stardust era), Mud, Roy Wood, kiss, queen, Roxy Music and alice cooper and on the pop glam side even bubblegum bands like the bay city rollers contributed.
Here is an interesting website...http://www.70sglamrock.com/The_Glam_Rock_Story.html
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: top 5 bassists of Glam Metal   top 5 bassists of Glam Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2012 11:43 am

IMo the biggest influence on the whole L.A. glam of the 80's, where Aerosmith, just listen to Ratt, Motley Crue and host of other bands you can detect their influence not only on their sound but even the way they dressed.

Also every guitar player wanted to be Eddie Van Halen.

Another band that should be mentioned is Hanoi Rocks who did not make a big commercial impact only predated the L.A. glam bands by a few years but made a huge impact.

Not to dismiss the influence of Bowie, Slade (especially Slade), T. Rex and the Sweet but those bands made a bigger impact on English rock bands, where over here, other then Bowie, was more a loyal but small cult audience.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: top 5 bassists of Glam Metal   top 5 bassists of Glam Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2012 1:25 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
manny wrote:
metalinmyveins wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
manny wrote:

Oh THAT guy!! Yeah yeah yeah, he was in THAT band, with the guy, you know, who looked like that other guy cuz he wore that thing!

Did that guy have a brother in that band, that wore that thing, that played that bass thingy?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: top 5 bassists of Glam Metal   top 5 bassists of Glam Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

top 5 bassists of Glam Metal
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next