Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Paradise Lost - Tragic Idol

Go down 
+4
Shawn Of Fire
Grimmo
Gilbert
Wayne
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Wayne
Metal student
Metal student
Wayne

Number of posts : 169

Paradise Lost - Tragic Idol Empty
PostSubject: Paradise Lost - Tragic Idol   Paradise Lost - Tragic Idol Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 3:37 am

Did a quick search and couldn't find another thread dedicated to this rather awesome album.

I'm curious to find out what others think of the latest Paradise Lost opus. They've been one of my favourite bands now for a long time, since they released their second album 'Gothic'.

Over the years the band have undergone a lot of changes in their style ranging from full on death metal to more mainstream gothic tinged heavy metal then onto the goth electronica period where they had more in common with bands like the mission and sisters of mercy. They then morphed into a very depeche mode sounding outfit before returning to the gothic tinged heavy metal sound.

Their last two albums have sounded like they could have been straight follow ups to shades of god, their third album. Shades of god being the last album which could be classified as death/doom metal.

For me it's all about the ability to write good music and I think this band has bundles of talent and I've enjoyed each phase the band has gone through, yes even the much loathed host period. I do prefer the heavier side of the band but can appreciate the good music and nick Holmes superb vocals on all their albums.

New opus 'Tragic idol' picks up right where previous album faith divides us, deah unites us left off. Like its predecessor it's a thunderously heavy album which is very doomy and gothic with a vocal style that strikes a balance between the clean vocals nick is so good at and the more aggressive rougher vocals that sound very much like shades of god/icon era. Not quite a death metal growl but close.

Theirs hardly any piano/keyboards and as a result the album feels more organic and not over produced.

If anyone left the band behind after draconian times I would encourage you to pick up the self titled album released a while back as this sounded very much like a follow up to draconian times and since then every album has gotten heavier and darker. The last two would definitely please fans of their early death/doom sound.

Last edited by Wayne on Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Paradise Lost - Tragic Idol   Paradise Lost - Tragic Idol Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 5:06 am

I only enjoyed Draconian Times.

But i will be giving this one a chance.
Back to top Go down
Grimmo
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Grimmo

Number of posts : 413

PostSubject: Re: Paradise Lost - Tragic Idol   Paradise Lost - Tragic Idol Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 7:37 am

I still can't get past Lost Paradise and Gothic
Back to top Go down
http://waynegrimsey.blogspot.com/
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Paradise Lost - Tragic Idol   Paradise Lost - Tragic Idol Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 8:34 am

I need to get it. Paradise Lost have been on a roll for the last few albums...

Metal student
Metal student
Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Paradise Lost - Tragic Idol   Paradise Lost - Tragic Idol Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 10:28 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
I need to get it. Paradise Lost have been on a roll for the last few albums...

They certainly have and this latest album is just so damned good. Hasn't been off my iPod since i got it last week. Already an album of the year contender for me. Been a strong year so far what with new accept, overkill, anathema and cannibal corpse albums all being great. Next up firewind.

2012 is shaping up nicely.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Paradise Lost - Tragic Idol   Paradise Lost - Tragic Idol Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 12:00 pm

I actually think I like the new album better than the last.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Paradise Lost - Tragic Idol   Paradise Lost - Tragic Idol Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 4:14 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
I actually think I like the new album better than the last.

I know I do. headbanger
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Paradise Lost - Tragic Idol   Paradise Lost - Tragic Idol Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 10:31 pm

It's on my radar for sure.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: Paradise Lost - Tragic Idol   Paradise Lost - Tragic Idol Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 3:50 pm

My first experience with Paradise Lost is the single "Tragic Idol" that I got on the Century Family Summer Sampler. I have known of them for quite a while but this song is blowing my mind! The vocals and the musicianship are phenomenal. After hearing this I checked out Draconian Times on Spotify, and I gotta say, Tragic Idol and Draconian Times went strait to the top of my purchase list.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Paradise Lost - Tragic Idol   Paradise Lost - Tragic Idol Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 4:17 pm

Draconian Times is Phenominal. As for Tragic Idol, I almost got it but at $16.95 I figured I could find it cheaper online. Next paycheck I will be ordering it along with the new Lillian Axe and Firewind.
Back to top Go down
Wayne
Metal student
Metal student
Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Paradise Lost - Tragic Idol   Paradise Lost - Tragic Idol Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 4:36 am

DallasBlack wrote:
Draconian Times is Phenominal. As for Tragic Idol, I almost got it but at $16.95 I figured I could find it cheaper online. Next paycheck I will be ordering it along with the new Lillian Axe and Firewind.

I wouldn't bother with the new firewind, boring. I was disappointed and feel that firewind are coasting at the moment. I wonder if it's either me and my tastes changing or that firewind, along with a lot of power metal bands, are just not releasing memorable albums and are simply treading water.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Paradise Lost - Tragic Idol   Paradise Lost - Tragic Idol Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 8:24 pm

Wayne wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:

I wouldn't bother with the new firewind, boring. I was disappointed and feel that firewind are coasting at the moment. I wonder if it's either me and my tastes changing or that firewind, along with a lot of power metal bands, are just not releasing memorable albums and are simply treading water.

Well, Exact says he likes it and our tastes match up in most cases.
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: Paradise Lost - Tragic Idol   Paradise Lost - Tragic Idol Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 8:27 pm

I ordered my copy of Draconian Times and Tragic Idol. Unfortunately I have to wait a little longer as my prime membership expired. Oh well. The anticipation is going strong!

I went with the import version of Draconian Times as it had a couple of extra tracks and was the same price as the original release.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Paradise Lost - Tragic Idol   Paradise Lost - Tragic Idol Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Paradise Lost - Tragic Idol
Page 1 of 1