Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Need to talk about Riot.

Go down 
+33
Wrecked Neck
Metal Misfit
Vexer6
ultmetal
brokentulsa
Harold Benson
assault_attack
jstate
snooloui
krokus
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
bass63
mlotek
ZombieHavoc
Olafsto
Temple of Blood
Gilbert
kmorg
manny
BearOnUnicycle
stpatrik
stormspell
Andy
A Handful of Wayne
nevermore
arachnoplasma
tohostudios
adrian
James B.
Witchfinder
Dark Horseman
37 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

Need to talk about Riot. - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need to talk about Riot.   Need to talk about Riot. - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2017 11:13 pm

Vexer6 wrote:
Gilbert wrote:
My riot collection is almost complete, after a decade... Picked up rock city in paris about three weeks ago. Still need to find me a copy of army of one.
You can get Army of One fairly cheap here:https://www.discogs.com/Riot-Army-Of-One/release/7125550

Let me check it out. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Need to talk about Riot.   Need to talk about Riot. - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 18, 2017 10:35 pm

I mentioned this just now in another Riot thread, but I'm now having a weird discovery-binge since I somehow missed them the first time around. (How do things like this happen?!)

Confession:

I've only just now "discovered" Riot. Shocked I honestly think it's their cover art. I always took them to be some crappy psychedelic/stoner rock or just some really crappy John Denver wanna-be band. I don't know. That stupid album cover shows up in all the "weirdest album cover" lists. Anyhow...

Their early stuff reminds me of a mix of Rush and Iron Maiden (and I guess Iron Maiden might owe a lot of their sound to them?).

Pretty good stuff. They were ahead of their time.

I also hear some Resurrection Band sounds in there in the early stuff...

Thundersteel is great!!

Immortal Soul?!?! Wow!

Unleash the Fire is great as well.

Youtube is very cool for catching up with and/or finding new metal.

Can't believe I've missed out on these guys.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Need to talk about Riot.   Need to talk about Riot. - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 19, 2017 11:00 am

At least you found them, there's some great music by there.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: Need to talk about Riot.   Need to talk about Riot. - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 20, 2017 1:53 am

I have been getting into jack starr albums with todd michael hall behind the mic. I can hear riot v in there. 

Riot rule. We need a new album.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Need to talk about Riot.   Need to talk about Riot. - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 28, 2017 1:06 pm

Been listening to Unleash The Fire.

So, so good! These guys should have been so much more known.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Need to talk about Riot.   Need to talk about Riot. - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 28, 2017 1:07 pm

Gilbert wrote:
Riot rule. We need a new album.

We do, indeed. Unleash the Fire is one of the best traditional metal albums of the decade.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: Need to talk about Riot.   Need to talk about Riot. - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 28, 2017 1:47 pm

I love todd michael hall. Amazing vocalist. I bought all the jack starr albums where he is behind the mic!
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Need to talk about Riot.   Need to talk about Riot. - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 29, 2017 8:33 am

I had "Fire Down Under" in Okinawa, some bloke over there was a big fan. I remember it being ok, been a long time, love "Thundersteel!" headbanger
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Need to talk about Riot.   Need to talk about Riot. - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 29, 2017 8:47 am

candlemass wrote:
I had "Fire Down Under" in Okinawa, some bloke over there was a big fan. I remember it being ok, been a long time, love "Thundersteel!" headbanger

Thundersteel is the only one I own.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: Need to talk about Riot.   Need to talk about Riot. - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 29, 2017 9:14 am

Lari wrote:
candlemass wrote:

Go out there and buy all their albums. NOW!
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

PostSubject: Re: Need to talk about Riot.   Need to talk about Riot. - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 29, 2017 12:22 pm

I have them all but Army Of One (on it's way) and Unleash The Fire.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: Need to talk about Riot.   Need to talk about Riot. - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 29, 2017 1:17 pm

007 wrote:
I have them all but Army Of One (on it's way) and Unleash The Fire.

It took me years to acquire army of one. It has been recently reissued. This is how i got it.

Unleash the fire is one hell of an album. A must buy headbanger
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Need to talk about Riot.   Need to talk about Riot. - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 29, 2017 3:09 pm

Army of One is good but needs a remastering or something.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Need to talk about Riot.   Need to talk about Riot. - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 13, 2018 3:40 pm

Gilbert wrote:
Lari wrote:
candlemass wrote:

Will do. The moment you send me about $300 to spend on them.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: Need to talk about Riot.   Need to talk about Riot. - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 14, 2018 5:29 am

Lari wrote:
Gilbert wrote:
Lari wrote:
candlemass wrote:

Will do. The moment you send me about $300 to spend on them.

The board should have a fund for such matters Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: Need to talk about Riot.   Need to talk about Riot. - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 14, 2018 5:30 am

Lari you are from finland right? I am visiting helsinki soon and would like some recommendations about music shops there.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Need to talk about Riot.   Need to talk about Riot. - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 14, 2018 7:41 am

Sure. I live and work in Helsinki. There's a couple record stores within walking distance of each other.

This one is the best, and a must-visit:
http://musichunter.info/blog/contact/info-in-english/
Address: Unioninkatu 45

They have a great selection, and carry entire discographies - lots of out of print stuff. There's a lot of metal crammed in the back rooms, and if you can't find what you are looking for, ask for help because they pile some stuff in other rooms too, like for some reason Dio discography is in a different room from most metal (assumingly because of the Blackmore connection, and they have a Blackmore wall) etc...

I love going there and looking at some of the rare stuff, but they are not dumb so out of print stuff is always priced as such. I don't usually want to pay €40 for a CD, so all that OOP stuff is just a tease to me. But I never walk out without buying anything - the regular stuff is reasonably priced.

Then a couple of smaller shops:

https://jaansarkija.fi/info/
Address: URHO KEKKOSEN KATU 4-6

Selection varies greatly, but you usually find a lot of metal with good prices.

The next one isn't as good as those, but it's a chain with 2 stores very close to each of the shops I mentioned above, so they might be worth visiting.

https://www.levykauppax.fi
Address: Hakaniemen Torikatu 2 (5min walk from Music Hunter)
Address2: Fredrikinkatu 59 (very close to Jäänsärkijä)

You'll find all the new stuff there for sure, but with less rarities because those are newer shops.

One more, if you are going to Music Hunter and Hakaniemi Levykauppa-X, then check out http://www.blackandwhite.fi/index.php

Address: Toinen Linja 1

There you can make cheap discoveries, because they have a ton of 2nd hand CDs and vinyl, but stuff moves very quickly so you never know what you will find. I have founs OOP stuff cheap, and also just rare old prints, used.

That should get you started. Helsinki centrum is quite small, so you can essentially just walk everywhere, but there's a subway too (Railway station - Hakaniemi is two stops) if you want to save time.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: Need to talk about Riot.   Need to talk about Riot. - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 14, 2018 7:57 am

Awesome man. I will try to check out all these shops!
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Need to talk about Riot.   Need to talk about Riot. - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 14, 2018 8:34 am

When are you coming? Remember shops like these are generally not open very well in the weekends. I think they close early Saturdays, and don't open Sundays at all. Finns hate working weekends.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: Need to talk about Riot.   Need to talk about Riot. - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 14, 2018 8:51 am

I will most likely be there during weekdays. Not sure about the dates yet.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Need to talk about Riot.   Need to talk about Riot. - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2021 5:54 am

So did you ever check out Helsinki record shops?

I looked up this thread, because I got Privilege of Power today:

Need to talk about Riot. - Page 5 E106d610
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need to talk about Riot.   Need to talk about Riot. - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Need to talk about Riot.
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5