Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New Charm City Devils

Go down 
+5
kethdredd
exact33
Eyesore
Metal Misfit
tohostudios
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

New Charm City Devils  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Charm City Devils    New Charm City Devils  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2012 10:12 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
Ewww, you said that nasty word.

wow. he sure did.

Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: New Charm City Devils    New Charm City Devils  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 1:08 am

exact33 wrote:
Dark Horseman wrote:
wow. he sure did.
Modern rock? Not a bad thing, unless they didn't write the songs.

I noticed on Wikipedia the other day that Black Stone Cherry has gone the route of using outside songwriters. I noted a while back that their recent stuff sound much more radio-friendly and not as good as the early stuff. Seems the be the way of things these days.

Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: New Charm City Devils    New Charm City Devils  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 7:34 am

Eyesore wrote:
exact33 wrote:
Dark Horseman wrote:
wow. he sure did.

I noticed on Wikipedia the other day that Black Stone Cherry has gone the route of using outside songwriters. I noted a while back that their recent stuff sound much more radio-friendly and not as good as the early stuff. Seems the be the way of things these days.

I think they were referring to my use of the "N word"; "Nickelback". Seriously, a couple songs on this new one remind me of the theme to WWE Smackdown which is by Nickelback.

And you know, I bought that new Black Stone Cherry and have never listened to it because the more I read the reviews, the more I figured I'd be wasting my time.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: New Charm City Devils    New Charm City Devils  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 2:18 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
exact33 wrote:
Dark Horseman wrote:
wow. he sure did.

I think they were referring to my use of the "N word"; "Nickelback". Seriously, a couple songs on this new one remind me of the theme to WWE Smackdown which is by Nickelback.

And you know, I bought that new Black Stone Cherry and have never listened to it because the more I read the reviews, the more I figured I'd be wasting my time.
Nickelback. Modern rock. Same thing. Haha.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: New Charm City Devils    New Charm City Devils  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 5:58 pm

Well, I've spun this about 4 times now and it's definitely different when compared to Let's Rock N Roll. Other than "Man Of Constant Sorrow" and "Devil Is A Woman" (one of the best songs they've created IMO) the bluesy vibe is all but gone; this album is much more "modern rock" than the last album. I still hear echoes of Nickelback (especially in a song like Walk Away) but I also hear a Disturbed vibe in songs like Spite and Unstoppable.

I like it but it's definitely a change in direction and not what I was expecting.

Here's a link to "Devil Is A Woman" if anyone is interested:

http://grooveshark.com/#!/s/Devil+Is+A+Woman/4BaefE?src=5

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: New Charm City Devils    New Charm City Devils  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2012 1:31 am

Been listening to this one. Definitely an industry album. Nearly everyone has been co-written with an industry songwriter (aka hit-maker), and it sounds like it. I don't mind modern rock like this, but John Allen is a great songwriter so I'm not sure why this was necessary.

Disappointing considering how good the debut and the Forty Acres (pre-Charm City Devils) albums are.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: New Charm City Devils    New Charm City Devils  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2012 6:38 pm

I liked the bluesy sound. oh well.

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: New Charm City Devils    New Charm City Devils  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2012 6:41 pm

I started spinning this again today because of Eye's post.

I don't care what anyone says, I still like this album. Yeah, it's not the same as their previous album but I still love it.

The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: New Charm City Devils    New Charm City Devils  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2012 7:28 pm

Ill get it when i can find it cheap. Modern rock really doesnt do much for me.... unless its Disturbed.

Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: New Charm City Devils    New Charm City Devils  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2012 9:59 pm

tohostudios wrote:
I started spinning this again today because of Eye's post.

I don't care what anyone says, I still like this album. Yeah, it's not the same as their previous album but I still love it.
Oh, it's good. These songwriters know how to craft catchy tunes, and I love catchy tunes. My disappointment comes from simply knowing that none of it was necessary.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: New Charm City Devils    New Charm City Devils  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2017 1:37 pm

Anyone heard anything recent from these guys? I recently spun their debut, Let's Rock n Roll, and wondered if they're still a thing. Looks like they put out another album, Battles (2014) after Sins (2012), but it didn't seem to make much of an impact. Not 'round here anyway.

Thoughts?

The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: New Charm City Devils    New Charm City Devils  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2017 3:10 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Anyone heard anything recent from these guys? I recently spun their debut, Let's Rock n Roll, and wondered if they're still a thing. Looks like they put out another album, Battles (2014) after Sins (2012), but it didn't seem to make much of an impact. Not 'round here anyway.

Thoughts?

have not heard anything but i was really disappointed with Sins.

MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: New Charm City Devils    New Charm City Devils  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2017 3:15 pm

Yea, I read through this whole thread and the general consensus was that Sins paled in comparison to the debut.

I don't know that I'll be adding anymore to my collection. The debut's ok enough, but it's not making me jones for more.

The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: New Charm City Devils    New Charm City Devils  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2017 3:20 pm

yeah. i am in the same boat.

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: New Charm City Devils    New Charm City Devils  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2017 5:28 pm

I still really dig the "Let's Rock N Roll" album a lot and I thought "Sins" had its moments (Man of Constant Sorrrow, Unstoppable, Devil Is A Woman for example) but that shift to a more modern rock sound didn't grab me like the first album did so I never even bothered with them after that.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2960

PostSubject: Re: New Charm City Devils    New Charm City Devils  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2017 8:27 pm

I like quite a few songs on Sins, especially the opening three tracks. The shift in style didn't seem all that drastic to me for whatever reason. I still haven't heard Battles yet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Charm City Devils    New Charm City Devils  - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Charm City Devils
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: