Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dio - Lock Up the Wolves

Go down 
+26
Joe
Lurideath
jstate
Fat Freddy
Psychotron
Speedmetalfreak
MoonChild
Metal Misfit
Temple of Blood
nevermore
exact33
DallasBlack
stepcousin
Witchfinder
BearOnUnicycle
Infinite
Troublezone
ShadowAngel
kmorg
Shawn Of Fire
Hamer12
manny
MetalGuy71
mc666
ultmetal
30 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Choose!
Forgotten gem!
Dio - Lock Up the Wolves - Page 2 Vote_lcap33%Dio - Lock Up the Wolves - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 33% [ 15 ]
Better off forgotten!
Dio - Lock Up the Wolves - Page 2 Vote_lcap4%Dio - Lock Up the Wolves - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 4% [ 2 ]
It's ok, but...
Dio - Lock Up the Wolves - Page 2 Vote_lcap61%Dio - Lock Up the Wolves - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 61% [ 28 ]
Never heart it.
Dio - Lock Up the Wolves - Page 2 Vote_lcap2%Dio - Lock Up the Wolves - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 2% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 46

AuthorMessage
Infinite
Metal student
Metal student
Infinite

Number of posts : 169

Dio - Lock Up the Wolves - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dio - Lock Up the Wolves   Dio - Lock Up the Wolves - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 11:13 pm

IMO, if they'd replaced two songs, this album would be seen in a more positive light. Between Two Hearts is just a long, dreary snoozefest. The album is crankin' along real nice until that song shows up and the momentum grinds to a halt. The other song I'd take out is Evil on Queen Street. The song right before it is the title track, which is a slower number. The next song should have been a fast-paced asskicker. Instead we get ANOTHER slow, lumbering song that puts the listener to sleep. Replace those two tunes with a couple of fast rockers, and I believe it would change people's perception of this album. That's not to say every other tune was a classic, but the pacing of the album is the biggest issue.

Also, I LOVE the last song, "My Eyes". I never hear anyone mention that tune, but I think it's one of Dio's best.
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Dio - Lock Up the Wolves   Dio - Lock Up the Wolves - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 1:09 am

It's ok, but... Wink
Back to top Go down
Speedmetalfreak
Metal student
Metal student
Speedmetalfreak

Number of posts : 126

PostSubject: Re: Dio - Lock Up the Wolves   Dio - Lock Up the Wolves - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 1:22 am

Good album. I just don't listen to it that much.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Dio - Lock Up the Wolves   Dio - Lock Up the Wolves - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 11:46 am

Only 2 for "better off forgotten". That's far less than I expected. It just seems a lot of Dio fans feel this is one of his worst, and I don't think it's bad at all. It's not my favorite, but it's far from "bad".

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Dio - Lock Up the Wolves   Dio - Lock Up the Wolves - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 12:12 pm

I revisited this album last night and listened to it twice. It's got some good and bad on it and I still think it's mediocre. Night Songs is awful. Also, way too many slow songs, which became a hallmark of Dio from this point onward. It's not the worst thing he ever released but it's still "meh."
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Psychotron
Metal student
Metal student
Psychotron

Number of posts : 167

PostSubject: Re: Dio - Lock Up the Wolves   Dio - Lock Up the Wolves - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 2:41 pm

I really like this album. While it's not his best, it is certainly way overlooked.

"My Eyes" remains my favorite Dio epic. Great song and I like the lyrical references to his past tunes.
Back to top Go down
http://nicksmetal.blogspot.com
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Dio - Lock Up the Wolves   Dio - Lock Up the Wolves - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 2:47 pm

Off the top of my head, the only song that sticks out on this one is "Wild One"...the rest isn't bad, just forgettable.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Dio - Lock Up the Wolves   Dio - Lock Up the Wolves - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 4:35 pm

I voted forgotten gem. But would have voted "album I've always loved, still love, and don't get the hate for it" if that was one of the choices.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: Dio - Lock Up the Wolves   Dio - Lock Up the Wolves - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 4:52 pm

I went with "it's ok but..."

To me it is an ok album. Not his best nor his worst. There were a few memorable songs but it seemed to lose focus to me. Not that it's bad, just doesn't seem to flow well together from one song to another.
Back to top Go down
Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

PostSubject: Re: Dio - Lock Up the Wolves   Dio - Lock Up the Wolves - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 9:23 pm

Voted "it's okay, but...."

like others have stated, not Dio's best, but definitely not his worst. Walk on Water and Twisted are my favorite songs off that album.

Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Dio - Lock Up the Wolves   Dio - Lock Up the Wolves - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 28, 2013 9:01 pm

Filling some holes and just bought this. At the time I wasn't too keen on Lock up the wolves. Spinning it now and it's not Dio's best, but I do think its good. Wild One, Twisted, Why are they watching me are stand out tracks so far.
Back to top Go down
Thelemech
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Number of posts : 4009

PostSubject: Re: Dio - Lock Up the Wolves   Dio - Lock Up the Wolves - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 02, 2013 3:34 am

This was the first Dio album that I did not like - other than Wild One. I think it has aged well and I now think it is OK.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Dio - Lock Up the Wolves   Dio - Lock Up the Wolves - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2014 3:54 pm

Since I was responsible for breathing some life into the "Sacred Heart" thread, I thought I would give this a bump. One thing that I did discover, I actually now like the song "Night Music". This album really isn't that bad. I think the middle part of the album is very slow and plods along. In fact, I think that "Lock Up the Wolves" and "Evil on Queen Street" are the same song. Not only do they sound similar, but they're back to back and long. "Walk on Water" and "Twisted" are pretty much cut from the same cloth as the aforementioned. I think the strength is in the first five songs of this album; "Wild One", "Born on the Sun", "Hey Angel", "Between Two Hearts", "Night Music" and the last two cuts on the album, "Why Are They Watching Me" & "My Eyes".

Listening to this album again was a pleasant experience.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Dio - Lock Up the Wolves   Dio - Lock Up the Wolves - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2014 4:10 pm

I did not like this one at all when it first came out, first time ever for anything by Dio for me...I never put much effort into it though, but I never needed to in the past w/his work. Odd I should see this now, I just ordered it from Amazon this morning, so I'll give it another day in court and hold off on this poll for a few weeks or so...

BTW, a real forgotten gem by Dio you might want to re-visit is "Strange Highways", one I thought you misjudged in your reviews...
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dio - Lock Up the Wolves   Dio - Lock Up the Wolves - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dio - Lock Up the Wolves
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2