Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dio - Lock Up the Wolves

Go down 
+26
Joe
Lurideath
jstate
Fat Freddy
Psychotron
Speedmetalfreak
MoonChild
Metal Misfit
Temple of Blood
nevermore
exact33
DallasBlack
stepcousin
Witchfinder
BearOnUnicycle
Infinite
Troublezone
ShadowAngel
kmorg
Shawn Of Fire
Hamer12
manny
MetalGuy71
mc666
ultmetal
30 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Choose!
Forgotten gem!
Dio - Lock Up the Wolves Vote_lcap33%Dio - Lock Up the Wolves Vote_rcap
 33% [ 15 ]
Better off forgotten!
Dio - Lock Up the Wolves Vote_lcap4%Dio - Lock Up the Wolves Vote_rcap
 4% [ 2 ]
It's ok, but...
Dio - Lock Up the Wolves Vote_lcap61%Dio - Lock Up the Wolves Vote_rcap
 61% [ 28 ]
Never heart it.
Dio - Lock Up the Wolves Vote_lcap2%Dio - Lock Up the Wolves Vote_rcap
 2% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 46

AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Dio - Lock Up the Wolves Empty
PostSubject: Dio - Lock Up the Wolves   Dio - Lock Up the Wolves Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 12:53 pm

Dio - Lock Up the Wolves, forgotten gem or better off forgotten?

I've been listening to this quite a bit recently. Went back and re-read what I wrote about it, which wasn't much and was pretty negative. My opinion on this disc has changed quite a bit over the years (thus I seriously need to update that review). What do others think of "Lock Up the Wolves"? Is it a forgotten gem in the Dio catalog, or is better off forgotten?

Last edited by ultmetal on Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Dio - Lock Up the Wolves   Dio - Lock Up the Wolves Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 12:55 pm

i wouldn't call it a gem, but it was never as bad as a lot of people made it out to be.

PostSubject: Re: Dio - Lock Up the Wolves   Dio - Lock Up the Wolves Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 12:57 pm

It has a few good tracks, it's just not a memorable album. There needs to be an "in-between" choice in your poll.

Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Dio - Lock Up the Wolves   Dio - Lock Up the Wolves Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 1:03 pm

S.D. wrote:
It has a few good tracks, it's just not a memorable album. There needs to be an "in-between" choice in your poll.

That's what I thought and said in my comments on NLTM. However, it actually does have some memorable songs. "Wild One", "Night Music", "Hey Angel" and the title track all come to mind. "Wild One" is one of Dio's faster songs. "Twisted" has sort of a Rainbow-vibe.

I added a third option. It's ok but...

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Dio - Lock Up the Wolves   Dio - Lock Up the Wolves Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 1:10 pm

S.D. wrote:

Or a "never heard it" option. Razz

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Dio - Lock Up the Wolves   Dio - Lock Up the Wolves Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 1:15 pm

I like the album, it has doomy almost Gothic feel to certain tracks, I like the dry as bone production and feel its a better album then its reputation has earned.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dio - Lock Up the Wolves   Dio - Lock Up the Wolves Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 1:15 pm

My favorite track is "Between Two Hearts" which is a really good song. I also like the title track and "Walk On Water".

I honestly don't remember the rest. This album and Sacred Heart are my least-favorite Dio albums.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Dio - Lock Up the Wolves   Dio - Lock Up the Wolves Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 1:23 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
S.D. wrote:

Or a "never heard it" option. Razz

Thanks!

Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

PostSubject: Re: Dio - Lock Up the Wolves   Dio - Lock Up the Wolves Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 1:38 pm

It's not his best effort, but an average Dio album is better than 90% of what's out there to me anyway.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Dio - Lock Up the Wolves   Dio - Lock Up the Wolves Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 1:39 pm

manny wrote:
I like the album, it has doomy almost Gothic feel to certain tracks, I like the dry as bone production and feel its a better album then its reputation has earned.

Agreed.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Dio - Lock Up the Wolves   Dio - Lock Up the Wolves Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 2:28 pm

Not his best, not his worst.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ShadowAngel

Number of posts : 445

PostSubject: Re: Dio - Lock Up the Wolves   Dio - Lock Up the Wolves Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 2:34 pm

It's a good album, i like the first few songs, Hey Angel, Wild One, Born on the Sun, Lock up the Wolves is also good. It falls a bit short but i prefer it over the albums that followed this and even Sacred Heart
Back to top Go down
http://www.kingdomofdesire.de
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Dio - Lock Up the Wolves   Dio - Lock Up the Wolves Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 2:43 pm

I think it falls under the (It's ok, but...) option. Other than "Wild One", nothing really stands out to me.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: Dio - Lock Up the Wolves   Dio - Lock Up the Wolves Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 3:20 pm

I went with the It's okay, but.... because I would not call it a gem and it's certainly not better off forgotten. It has some really cool tunes (the title track is KILLER) but also some less than stellar ones (Evil On Queen Street is rather meh).
Back to top Go down
Infinite
Metal student
Metal student
Infinite

Number of posts : 169

PostSubject: Re: Dio - Lock Up the Wolves   Dio - Lock Up the Wolves Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 3:45 pm

I like it. It starts off strong with the first few tunes, bogs down in the middle, and finishes big with the last tune. Production was a big step up. I also think Rowan was the most gifted of all Dio's guitarists.
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Dio - Lock Up the Wolves   Dio - Lock Up the Wolves Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 3:57 pm

No Rainbow-in-the-Dark-level hits on this one, but it is far from terrible. Also its not as overplayed as say Holy Diver. A nice album that I often revisit.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Dio - Lock Up the Wolves   Dio - Lock Up the Wolves Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 5:08 pm

This album is a big "meh." It sounds like a tired effort and is lacking but it's still not as bad as some of Dio's latter day dirgefests.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Dio - Lock Up the Wolves   Dio - Lock Up the Wolves Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 5:49 pm

I haven't heard the album in maybe 20 years, and when I read the comments here I now know why. Must have been very forgettable.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Dio - Lock Up the Wolves   Dio - Lock Up the Wolves Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 6:24 pm

stepcousin wrote:
I haven't heard the album in maybe 20 years, and when I read the comments here I now know why. Must have been very forgettable.

Witchfinder wrote:
This album is a big "meh." It sounds like a tired effort and is lacking but it's still not as bad as some of Dio's latter day dirgefests.

Really? If you like Dio, how can you not like this?

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Dio - Lock Up the Wolves   Dio - Lock Up the Wolves Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 6:29 pm

This was my first full Dio album so it has a special place in my heart. I never understood the hate this album had as it's one of Dio's best IMO. Of course I hadn't started my Dio collection til some time after I had this one so that could be why I hold this one in such high regard while others don't. For me the only Dio album I really can't get into is Angry Machines.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Dio - Lock Up the Wolves   Dio - Lock Up the Wolves Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 6:37 pm

ultmetal wrote:
stepcousin wrote:

Witchfinder wrote:

Really? If you like Dio, how can you not like this?

I would rate this album a 5 out of 10, as in mediocre. I like Wild One but this album is chock full of crap.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Dio - Lock Up the Wolves   Dio - Lock Up the Wolves Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 9:31 pm

its ok but when i want Dio I dont find myself going to this album

nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Dio - Lock Up the Wolves   Dio - Lock Up the Wolves Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 10:29 pm

It's not Dio's greatest album but I do enjoy it.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Dio - Lock Up the Wolves   Dio - Lock Up the Wolves Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 10:34 pm

This album is awful. But the lineup is great! I only like "Wild One".

Again, Dio needed a songwriting collaborator and he didn't get it.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Dio - Lock Up the Wolves   Dio - Lock Up the Wolves Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 11:06 pm

Good album but nothing special. Great band line-up though. Doesn't sound all that Goth or dark to me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dio - Lock Up the Wolves   Dio - Lock Up the Wolves Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dio - Lock Up the Wolves
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next