Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Mike Lee back in Barren Cross

Go down 
+16
exact33
EmoElmo
kmorg
Stender
NO-you!
Dark Horseman
mez
Addy
Sutekh
James B.
7thSaviour
bassman
thejokeriv
Shawn Of Fire
GrandNational
Fat Freddy
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

Mike Lee back in Barren Cross - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mike Lee back in Barren Cross   Mike Lee back in Barren Cross - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 3:06 pm

kmorg wrote:
Phenomenal band! They played a new song at Elements of Rock, I was hoping someone filmed that and posted it on YouTube.

Yeah, I was hoping the same thing, but if a video was shot of that new tune, it hasn't surfaced yet. The clip I posted came from Barren Cross' Facebook page.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

Number of posts : 626

PostSubject: Re: Mike Lee back in Barren Cross   Mike Lee back in Barren Cross - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 7:23 pm

If they weren't into Jesus and stuff, would you guys still consider them as an AWESOME BAND?

15 years ago, I remember listening to them for the first time thru my friend's cassette tape and I was like "Ugh, So Maiden", nothing spectacular, nothing special ... so I'm just wonderin' what is so great with this band
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Mike Lee back in Barren Cross   Mike Lee back in Barren Cross - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 7:27 pm

EmoElmo wrote:
If they weren't into Jesus and stuff, would you guys still consider them as an AWESOME BAND?

15 years ago, I remember listening to them for the first time thru my friend's cassette tape and I was like "Ugh, So Maiden", nothing spectacular, nothing special ... so I'm just wonderin' what is so great with this band

i dont know about 'awesome' but i like them.

EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

Number of posts : 626

PostSubject: Re: Mike Lee back in Barren Cross   Mike Lee back in Barren Cross - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 7:31 pm

exact33 wrote:
EmoElmo wrote:

It's just so difficult for me to like a 'knock-off' band cuz I have never heard somebody blatantly copying the great Bruce Dickinson other than them (or the singer)
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Mike Lee back in Barren Cross   Mike Lee back in Barren Cross - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 7:50 pm

Barren Cross could've been a kick @$$ thrash/speed metal band. They did have it in them.

They wrote great songs, Maiden comparison aside. IMHO

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Mike Lee back in Barren Cross   Mike Lee back in Barren Cross - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 8:13 pm

Not too much Maiden except the voice. Yeah, a British Metal type sound but how many bands do that?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Mike Lee back in Barren Cross   Mike Lee back in Barren Cross - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 8:34 pm

Quote :

Uhhhh... yeah, as a matter of fact, I would.

Some of y'all probably know the words to this one cuz I've used it before: I don't really give a rat's ass if a band is into God, Satan, Captain Kirk or the Teletubbies. If they're a good band, they're a good band. If they suck, they suck.

Barren Cross happened to be a pretty damn good band. ATOMIC ARENA is a top ten of all time for me.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Mike Lee back in Barren Cross   Mike Lee back in Barren Cross - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 8:38 pm

EmoElmo wrote:
exact33 wrote:
EmoElmo wrote:

It's just so difficult for me to like a 'knock-off' band cuz I have never heard somebody blatantly copying the great Bruce Dickinson other than them (or the singer)

i didnt they copied maiden all that much - Lee's vocals were similar but the music wasnt all that similar. I just think of them as a heavy metal band.

kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Mike Lee back in Barren Cross   Mike Lee back in Barren Cross - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 10:02 am

EmoElmo wrote:
exact33 wrote:
EmoElmo wrote:

I never even understood the Maiden comparisons. Barren Cross doesn't even do the double guitar thingy.

Truth is, the first 3 Barren Cross discs are killer metal releases, regardless what tag you wanna try an add to them.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Mike Lee back in Barren Cross   Mike Lee back in Barren Cross - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 10:04 am

Barren Cross = Good Heavy Metal

The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Mike Lee back in Barren Cross   Mike Lee back in Barren Cross - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 10:19 am

kmorg wrote:
EmoElmo wrote:
exact33 wrote:
EmoElmo wrote:

I never even understood the Maiden comparisons. Barren Cross doesn't even do the double guitar thingy.

Truth is, the first 3 Barren Cross discs are killer metal releases, regardless what tag you wanna try an add to them.

plus there is not a lot of original sounding metal bands out there, even when BC was in their prime. I could see someone saying Trytan was a clear rip of Rush but those Maiden comparisons to BC were strictly because of the vocals - and then not all that close.

Infinite
Metal student
Metal student
Infinite

Number of posts : 169

PostSubject: Re: Mike Lee back in Barren Cross   Mike Lee back in Barren Cross - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 10:28 am

I don't think they sounded like Maiden either, with the exception of "Two Thousand Years" from State of Control.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Mike Lee back in Barren Cross   Mike Lee back in Barren Cross - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 10:32 am

Infinite wrote:
I don't think they sounded like Maiden either, with the exception of "Two Thousand Years" from State of Control.

Living Death from Atomic Arena too
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Mike Lee back in Barren Cross   Mike Lee back in Barren Cross - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 10:41 am

thejokeriv wrote:
Infinite wrote:

Unless you saw them live, you never really got to see the biggest influence that Bruce had on Mike. The way Mike ran a (much smaller) stage and the mannerisms/gestures/poses that he used. Mike had a "similar" tone as Bruce here/there but the phrasing and delivery were quite different.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Mike Lee back in Barren Cross   Mike Lee back in Barren Cross - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 10:45 am

James B. wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
Infinite wrote:

Unless you saw them live, you never really got to see the biggest influence that Bruce had on Mike. The way Mike ran a (much smaller) stage and the mannerisms/gestures/poses that he used. Mike had a "similar" tone as Bruce here/there but the phrasing and delivery were quite different.

There is no doubt that Mike Lee/Drive was heavily influenced by Bruce. Also with Jim, you can hear the Steve Harris influences in his playing. More than anything, those two are what gave BC their Maiden-style sound.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Mike Lee back in Barren Cross   Mike Lee back in Barren Cross - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 10:45 am

I always thought Jim LaVerde's bass work was rather 'Arry-ish too.

*EDIT* Dammit, Joker just posted the exact same thing while I was typing that. Get the hell out of my head, Leo!!

Back to top Go down
Infinite
Metal student
Metal student
Infinite

Number of posts : 169

PostSubject: Re: Mike Lee back in Barren Cross   Mike Lee back in Barren Cross - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 11:17 am

Oh yeah, Mike Lee definitely sounds a lot like Dickinson; I'm just saying the sum of the parts didn't add up to a Maiden sound, for the most part, to my ears.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Mike Lee back in Barren Cross   Mike Lee back in Barren Cross - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 11:23 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
I always thought Jim LaVerde's bass work was rather 'Arry-ish too.

*EDIT* Dammit, Joker just posted the exact same thing while I was typing that. Get the hell out of my head, Leo!!

Laughing very hard

Well, it's true and we're both huge fans of Atomic Arena headbanger
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Mike Lee back in Barren Cross   Mike Lee back in Barren Cross - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 11:34 am

kmorg wrote:
EmoElmo wrote:
exact33 wrote:
EmoElmo wrote:

The first three are awesome! Atomic Arena can easily compete with the other metal releases of that year.

As far as the comparisons, I think we've covered it with Mike & Jim's influences. Heck, listen to the main riff of this one (after the slow intro):

[youtube][/youtube]
Back to top Go down
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1778

PostSubject: Re: Mike Lee back in Barren Cross   Mike Lee back in Barren Cross - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 2:49 pm

i saw a video on youtube from a recent performance from bc, and mike lee still got the voice. lets hope the come up with a great album
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Mike Lee back in Barren Cross   Mike Lee back in Barren Cross - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 2:54 pm

powermacho wrote:
i saw a video on youtube from a recent performance from bc, and mike lee still got the voice. lets hope the come up with a great album

that is an excellent album in your avatar powermacho!

Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Mike Lee back in Barren Cross   Mike Lee back in Barren Cross - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 8:51 am

BC's entire Elements of Rock set is now up on YouTube...

I haven't had time to sit thru the whole hour-plus thing but I will eventually cuz I wanna check out the "new song" (whatever it's called)....

With the blonde hair and the suit/vest combo, Mike looks like Robin Zander of Cheap Trick. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Mike Lee back in Barren Cross   Mike Lee back in Barren Cross - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 9:38 am

killer opening tune, "The Living Dead" then into "Stage of Intensity" YEPPERS headbanger

Mike sounds good for an old fart !

Gonna scope out the rest later, Thanks Kieth Mike Lee back in Barren Cross - Page 2 25679

The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Mike Lee back in Barren Cross   Mike Lee back in Barren Cross - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 7:48 pm

I have to admit that, while I am still skeptical, this seems to be gaining more momentum than I thought it would. I have been used to BC putting out a 'we are recording' notice every couple years and fading into the background.

Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Mike Lee back in Barren Cross   Mike Lee back in Barren Cross - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 8:31 pm

According to BC's Facebook page, the new song in their set at the Switzerland gig was called "Whitewashed Love."

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mike Lee back in Barren Cross   Mike Lee back in Barren Cross - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mike Lee back in Barren Cross
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next