Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark

Go down 
+35
tul
kmorg
scottmitchell74
thejokeriv
Mglaffas81
Fat Freddy
exact33
dark avenger
GrandNational
Alex Dee Rokket
Lurideath
Lari
MetalGuy71
adrian
A Handful of Wayne
mr.electric39
jstate
manny
sheets
Dellocatus
snooloui
TheGreatDuck
arachnoplasma
BearOnUnicycle
Leatherface
Speedmetalfreak
SideShowDisaSter
Wayne
mc666
Andy
MoonChild
EmoElmo
Wurthless
MEGATRON
39 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark   Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 2:44 pm

I am a Maiden fan...period

They have "poor" tunes on pretty much every release. It's just their "poor" tunes are often better than other bands stuff.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark   Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 3:22 pm

Dellocatus wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
S.D. wrote:
kmorg wrote:
I pretty much love all Maiden releases, and I never understood the hate against Fear of the Dark.

I think the majority here seem to lean toward it being an "okay" album, just not quite up to their usual level.

I'm having a REALLY hard time understanding the hate toward The Final Frontier. I've been a Maiden fan since 1982 and I love it. I guess Maiden fans are more close-minded these days.

It's only the ones that are stuck in the 80's and think anything that isn't classic ear Maiden sucks. For the most part, the younger fans love both eras. Although I did hear a few younger fans (standing near me in the arena before the show) talking about the classic era the way emo talks about the post-reunion era!
These younger fans would like to see a reincarnation of the classic era. Just because the couldn't be part of it, because they are too young. I'd appreciate another more classic Maiden album too, though I like the progressive style. But as there are more and more newcomers picking up exactly this style of metal (e.g. Steelwing) it doesn't matter wheter Maiden do their own thing or not. And that's something I like Maiden for - they don't care about what others might say and just do what they want to. And with this, their albums are always of a high quality - it doesn't sound forced but fresh. And that's great!

That's why Maiden did the Somewhere Back In Time tour - for the younger fans that weren't alive during the Powerslave tour. I'm sure they weren't complaining that the tour sold well either!

As far as the new albums, I am just happy they are still putting out great stuff! I can't imagine this line up would have lasted this long if they weren't always trying to put out great music and grow as songwriters. I can't see them (Bruce, Steve and Adrian most of all) wanting to only do 80's style songs. I could see them not doing Maiden if they were forced to do that.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark   Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 3:25 pm

Maiden is way too popular worldwide to ever become a nostalgia act

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark   Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 3:40 pm

James B. wrote:

Yep! Aside from A Matter Of Life And Death (where they played the whole album - great, ballsy move!), they are still doing 5 - 6 new songs every album tour and their album tours are just that, album tours. Not what KISS does "Ok, 10 minutes of new Material and the rest will be classics and we'll call it the new album tour".

Honestly, if all they did was the nostalgia act thing, ticket sales would be way down after the first couple of tours. Everyone would be thinking "Nah, already seen them and they are just going to play the same songs I have already seen on the last two tours"
Back to top Go down
arachnoplasma
Metal student
Metal student
arachnoplasma

Number of posts : 244

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark   Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 4:16 pm

I'll just echo the sentiment that I'm a Maiden fan, period. Of course a few albums are better than others, and I can nitpick things to death given the opportunity (it's just my nature), but in the end I can find something to like about all of their albums. Yes, even the Blaze era has some brilliant songs in my opinion, and so do No Prayer for the Dying and Fear of the Dark.

And I think the new stuff is excellent. I really can't understand how some fans can't find at least a few songs to like off the last couple albums. The classic albums are great. Powerslave is basically my favorite album ever. But I don't want to hear the same thing over and over again either.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark   Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 4:19 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
James B. wrote:

Yep! Aside from A Matter Of Life And Death (where they played the whole album - great, ballsy move!), they are still doing 5 - 6 new songs every album tour and their album tours are just that, album tours. Not what KISS does "Ok, 10 minutes of new Material and the rest will be classics and we'll call it the new album tour".

Honestly, if all they did was the nostalgia act thing, ticket sales would be way down after the first couple of tours. Everyone would be thinking "Nah, already seen them and they are just going to play the same songs I have already seen on the last two tours"

I wish more bands would play more of their newer material, so many bands such as AC/DC , Aerosmith, just stick to a greatest hits set and wish they would mix it up a bit more, between newer material, deep cuts, and greatest hits
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark   Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 4:38 pm

manny wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
James B. wrote:

I wish more bands would play more of their newer material, so many bands such as AC/DC , Aerosmith, just stick to a greatest hits set and wish they would mix it up a bit more, between newer material, deep cuts, and greatest hits

Agree! Personally, I have seen Aerosmith and have no need to see them again, their new show will offer nothing new. AC/DC I have only seen once. I will go again on the next tour, I will go if it's a Friday or Saturday. If it's a weeknight show for a band I have seen multiple times and the set list doesn't change, it's not worth it to me to be that tired the next day at work.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark   Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 7:41 pm

manny wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
James B. wrote:

I have no problem with bands playing their older material, but my God, a band like AC/DC is so f'ing predictable when it comes to a setlist and old material. The reason Maiden is so cool, is they freaking go back and recreate the Somewhere Back in Time tour, which was just plain genius. Could you imagine if AC/DC celebrated their 80's catalog? Let's say AC/DC played 19 songs, which they did on their last show of the tour in 2010. How about this for a setlist.

1. Heatseeker
2. Let's Get It Up
3. This House Is On Fire
4. Sink The Pink
5. Have A Drink On Me
6. Nick of Time
7. Flick of the Switch
8. Shoot to Thrill
9. Spellbound
10. Fly on the Wall
11. Ruff Stuff
12. D.T/Chase The Ace
13. Rising Power
14. Who Made Who
15. Givin' the Dog A Bone
16. Two's Up
17. For those About to Rock
18. Shake Your Foundations

...and yes there are some obvious omitted songs that I don't think we need to hear for the umteenth time!
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark   Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 9:25 am

Regarding the discussion on Fear of the Dark, I think it's a solid album and much better than the dud that was No Prayer for the Dying. I dig 7 of the 12 tunes. Favs in order: Chains of Misery, Fear of the Dark, Judas Be My Guide, Fear is the Key, Be Quick or Be Dead, Wasting Love & The Fugitive. Where this albums ranks? Not sure...I might have to go on an Iron Maiden listening spree next week to determine how those rank in order. This week is all about Anthrax, Testament & Death Angel, as I will be attending the show this Friday night!
Back to top Go down
Dellocatus
Metal student
Metal student
Dellocatus

Number of posts : 131

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark   Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 12:55 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:
I have no problem with bands playing their older material, but my God, a band like AC/DC is so f'ing predictable when it comes to a setlist and old material. The reason Maiden is so cool, is they freaking go back and recreate the Somewhere Back in Time tour, which was just plain genius. Could you imagine if AC/DC celebrated their 80's catalog? Let's say AC/DC played 19 songs, which they did on their last show of the tour in 2010. How about this for a setlist.

I don't mind if some bands are playing popular songs - this is what a big part of the audience wants to hear. But they shouldn't ignore the more unfamiliar ones. Because you mentionned AC/DC: I liked it to see them playing Dog eat Dog on their last tour. But they should have integrated more old stuff. Not only from the 80s, as you propose, but also from the 70s, for example songs from Powerage (which is one of the best albums they did!). Nevertheless, the real classics have to be played - just to make sure there is a good atmosphere. It's the mix that makes a great set!

Back to Maiden: I like to see them play the newer tracks. But they could also from time to time include other songs, that aren't either new or classics. What about Stranger in a Strange Land or The Loneliness of a Long Distance Runner? Would be great to see them live Smile
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark   Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 1:02 pm

Dellocatus wrote:
metalinmyveins wrote:

I don't mind if some bands are playing popular songs - this is what a big part of the audience wants to hear. But they shouldn't ignore the more unfamiliar ones. Because you mentionned AC/DC: I liked it to see them playing Dog eat Dog on their last tour. But they should have integrated more old stuff. Not only from the 80s, as you propose, but also from the 70s, for example songs from Powerage (which is one of the best albums they did!). Nevertheless, the real classics have to be played - just to make sure there is a good atmosphere. It's the mix that makes a great set.

Powerage is easily my favorite AC/DC album from top to bottom, BUT, I just see them as Bon's songs. It's not that Brian Johnson is bad belting out these tunes, but I'm just always hearing Bon's voice singing these songs. Like I stated before though, I would love to see AC/DC do a tour where they just focus on AC/DC post '80 and focus on stuff that they've rarely ever played or maybe never played at all. The problem is, I've always thought that AC/DC plays it way too safe. That doesn't mean I don't like them, it just means you know what you're getting when you go see them live. I want the exact opposite of that!
Back to top Go down
Dellocatus
Metal student
Metal student
Dellocatus

Number of posts : 131

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark   Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 1:28 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:
The problem is, I've always thought that AC/DC plays it way too safe. That doesn't mean I don't like them, it just means you know what you're getting when you go see them live. I want the exact opposite of that!
Isn't this the problem with most of the bands that have a long tradition? I think so. I like to get surprised, but on the other hand, the audience could get overwhelmed when there's to much unfamiliar sound... And a good audience is always an important factor for a live experience.

As there was a discussion about AMOLAD: I'm surprised to hear, that it has influenced one song of the new RAM. Check out the song HYPNOS. One riff really reminds of THE LONGEST DAY. Great Riff Smile
http://truecultheavymetal.com/radio/IndexRAM.html
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark   Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 2:01 pm

Dellocatus wrote:
metalinmyveins wrote:
The problem is, I've always thought that AC/DC plays it way too safe. That doesn't mean I don't like them, it just means you know what you're getting when you go see them live. I want the exact opposite of that!
Isn't this the problem with most of the bands that have a long tradition? I think so. I like to get surprised, but on the other hand, the audience could get overwhelmed when there's to much unfamiliar sound... And a good audience is always an important factor for a live experience.

If it was promoted right, I think someone like AC/DC could definitely pull this off. They're big enough that they can play anywhere and to any type of crowd around the world.
Back to top Go down
Wayne
Metal student
Metal student
Wayne

Number of posts : 169

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark   Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 6:37 am

What I love about iron maiden since their reunion with Bruce is that they are simply trying to please everyone and in my eyes totally succeeding.

Brave new world was a superb album. I really enjoyed the blaze era and would quite happily have continued to be a maiden fan buying albums and seeing them live with blaze. I would have liked to have seen how the band would have progressed with blaze. I remember reading somewhere that some of the brave new world songs were written during the blaze time and would have appeared on a third blaze album if the reunion hadn't happened. Not sure how true this is as I'm sure Steve Harris had decided to give blaze his marching orders before talk of Bruce coming back was considered.

Anyway I digress, brave new world was a total triumph in my eyes. It was great to hear Bruce back and the band sounded like they had real fire in their belly. All the interviews I read around the time of the reunion stated that the band would be marching forward and will not become a nostalgia act like kiss churning out the greatest hits over and over till they called it a day. Take a look at the song lengths on brave new world and for me this was a very prog album and was the start of the current maiden sound.

Since 1999 it has been a wonderful time as a maiden fan. I saw the ed hunter tour in Paris and Rotterdam which was intended to break bruce and Adrian back in. I got to hear all the greatest hits from the 80's and 90's as they had no album to promote which was awesome.

Since then I've had 4 top drawer albums with maiden pushing a newer sound and continuing to be relevant in today's musical climate whilst at the same time they have also catered to their long standing fans and introduced younger fans to their classic era. As well as some awesome concerts in support of later albums(matter of life and death was amazing getting the whole album) I've seen the early years part 1 tour in Paris again with older stuff, the early years part 2 tour aka somewhere back in time and the current rumour is the early years part 3 next year doing the same set list as the maiden England tour in support of seventh son.

It's never been a better time to listen to maiden both old and new.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark   Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 8:32 am

metalinmyveins wrote:
Dellocatus wrote:
metalinmyveins wrote:

If it was promoted right, I think someone like AC/DC could definitely pull this off. They're big enough that they can play anywhere and to any type of crowd around the world.

I don't doubt that, Brian Johnson has earned and carved his own place in AC/DC's history, replacing someone as popular and charismatic as Bon Scott was no easy task and he did it his own way, while honoring his predecessor's legacy.

That being said, I don't think the band will ever be willing to do all post-Bon Scott set, not only are these songs classic, but the band feels its paying tribute to Bon by keeping his songs in the set.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark   Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 10:33 am

To elaborate on what Manny stated, I believe they'll continue to play Bon era stuff so his estate continues to earn some cash. I also believe that Bon had alot to do with what was released on Back In Black (uncredited) and the guys are making up for it. Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark - Page 4 25679 There WAS a reason for the Bon Fire box set to be released when it was.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark   Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 11:17 am

While I wouldn't mind seeing AC/DC mix it up a bit, the reality is they don't need to. They can fill stadiums playing the same 20 songs, give-or-take. They haven't changed their sound in 40 years, why should their set-lists be any different? Razz

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark   Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 11:42 am

Just finished going through this thread. My worthless 2 cents are that I prefer Maiden now than I did before, and I loved early Maiden. The Final Frontier and A Matter of Life and Death are two of my favorites by them and easily can be considered classics for me. As someone stated earlier, I think if they tried to give a us another Powerslave, that it would have sounded forced.

Oh yeah, as far as the original topic, I think Fear of the Dark is okay.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark   Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 9:12 pm

Fear of the Dark is great. Love the album. That cover scared the crap out of me. Recently read about the artist and his impression of making that painting. Be Quick or Be Dead is killer. Weekend Warrior kinda sounds like it should have been on Bruce's solo album. The Fugitive is another track that is cool. The down side of this album for me is the dark tones of some of the songs.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark   Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 9:41 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I dig FEAR OF THE DARK. Definitely a step up from NO PRAYER and certainly preferable to anything from the Blaze era. I'd rank it somewhere in the middle of the pack. ...shoot, I even like "Wasting Love" off of that album.

You're not alone on that. I think it's a good song too. Somewhere and Seventh Son are my top Maiden albums but FotD is in my top 5. It was my first introduction to Maiden (in 1994) and they've been my favorite band ever since. My favorite songs from it are Fear Is The Key and The Fugitive. However, I like the entire album.

BTW, the only album I can't really get into from Maiden is Final Frontier.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark   Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4