Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark

Go down 
+12
TheGooch
mc666
KissinMaiden
TH Joe
scottmitchell74
spiritoradio
Shiney
TrogDawn
Thrasher73
ultmetal
AchrisK
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
AchrisK
Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

Number of posts : 975

Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark Empty
PostSubject: Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark   Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark Icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2007 12:36 pm

I got this recently. Although I am a long time Maiden fan, I had never heard this release. Actually I just started exploring Maiden's post-Seventh Son releases recently, and still haven't fully familiarized myself with Somewhere in Time.

But Fear of the Dark...wow, this is a different Maiden release. Much more rock and rolly. Much less Maiden-ish. Not sure if I like it. I like the cover art, though!

Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark Iron%20maiden%20-%20fear%20of%20the%20dark

Aw crap! Song 11 is skipping, and I already "accepted" it on LaLa. Oh well, guess I'll just resurface it myself.

ack
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark   Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark Icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2007 12:37 pm

Not one of my favorites. I like the title track quite a bit though.

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark   Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark Icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2007 12:38 pm

The title track is a monster!!
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39550

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark   Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark Icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2007 1:04 pm

It's not too bad. I do enjoy the title track as well (and From Here to Eternity and Weekend Warrior).
Back to top Go down
AchrisK
Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark   Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark Icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2007 1:58 pm

Yeah, title track is good. I'll give it some more time, and I'll probably keep it. Maiden is my longest running favorite band. I am much more of a completist with them than with most.

So what are the Blaze Bailey albums like?

ack
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark   Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark Icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2007 2:11 pm

I like the Blaze albums, especially
The X-Factor. Its a much darker album. Check my reviews on NLTM.

Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark   Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark Icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2007 2:18 pm

Your reviews don't fully line up with your statement. I guess it's just more detail. Well, ok, I guess "like" is a valid summation, but it lacks any negative connotation, but your reviews don't.

ack
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark   Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark Icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2007 2:25 pm

Fear of the Dark, awesome song, awesome release. For me I thought it was a return to goodness.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark   Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark Icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2007 2:27 pm

I wouldn't put them at the top of Maiden's catalog, but I do enjoy them from time to time. They aren't solid from beginning to end like Killers, Piece of Mind, etc, but they have some good songs. I certainly like X-Factor at least as much as Fear of the Dark, if not more.

This pretty much sums it up:
Quote :
"The X-Factor" was responsible for the birth of
a new Iron Maiden, one that is quite different from the galloping days of old and one that presents to the world a more dark and melodic Maiden.
Having said that, I still think about half the songs on this CD are boring, the other half while something I now enjoy do not touch the greatness of their early discs...The most noticeable, and often complained about, difference in this disc to the classic Maiden sound is Blaze's vocals. His voice on this album was a complete departure from the Bruce Dickinson era and as such seems a bit out of place at first. Honestly, however, I think Blaze is a good singer and enjoy his work with Wolfsbane. The problem lies in the fact that he doesn't have much to work with in song writing. The songs that are good he shines in. The first four cuts on this disc, along with the epic "The Unbeliever" are the best tracks.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark   Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark Icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2007 2:30 pm

I kinda lump Fear of the Dark in with No Prayer for the Dying.Not bad releases just not as good as Maiden are capable of doing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark   Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark Icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2007 2:34 pm

I know a lot of people who like The X-Factor ...I need to revisit it...its been years...
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark   Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark Icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2007 3:50 pm

AchrisK wrote:

I got this recently. Although I am a long time Maiden fan, I had never heard this release. Actually I just started exploring Maiden's post-Seventh Son releases recently, and still haven't fully familiarized myself with Somewhere in Time.
I've been doing the exact same thing with Maiden lately, bro! I never went past Somewhere in Time either!

Hey, is your copy of Fear of the Dark the Century Media remastered version with the eddie-puzzle spine art? If so, is your booklet missing some pages? I got two brand new copies and both had this glitch in the booklets. confused
Back to top Go down
https://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark   Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark Icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2007 4:39 pm

I like this album okay....doesn't hold a candle to the classics, but not too shabby either.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark   Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark Icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2007 5:42 pm

FoTD along with NPFTD and the two Blaze albums are great IM albums for the 90's. Not as classic as thier 70's/80's albums, but totally underrated.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=507304580
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark   Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark Icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2007 6:38 pm

I always liked FOTD....I DON'T like Somewhere In Time and 7th Son, so it was sort of a return to form for me.....
Back to top Go down
AchrisK
Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark   Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark Icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2007 6:55 pm

Trog,

no, my copy is the old original Epic generic release.
Back to top Go down
TH Joe
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
TH Joe

Number of posts : 450

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark   Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark Icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2007 7:50 pm

The title track is one of my fave Maiden songs. I don't care much for the rest of this cd, though.
Back to top Go down
KissinMaiden
Metal master
Metal master
KissinMaiden

Number of posts : 688

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark   Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark Icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2007 8:32 pm

I like this album top tracks for me is the opener , afraid to shoot strangers, and title track
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark   Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark Icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2007 11:52 pm

I think the album is grand. The title track and Afraid to Shoot Strangers are among my favorite songs by Maiden, while Wasting love, Be Quick or be Dead, The Apparition (creative lyrics), Weekend Warrior and Chains of Misery are very good songs, period.

The X Factor also has its gems but it also has a lot of mediocrity. scratch
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark   Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark Icon_minitimeFri Feb 09, 2007 12:49 am

it's ok, no a fave by a long shot though.

TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark   Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2007 6:30 am

its awesome i think its great. although not as good as their classics. i am going to see them in two week sand two days for the first time and i cant waitr
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark   Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark Icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2007 4:17 pm

Not like the classics, but as had been said early in this post

the title track is a classic. I've always loved 'Afraid to Shoot Strangers'... but much of the other stuff is not quite up to snuff.... a little tired....
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark   Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark Icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2007 4:34 pm

Think it is the best they did in the 90's but still nowhere near the 80's stuff
Back to top Go down
INVADERS
Metal master
Metal master
INVADERS

Number of posts : 937

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark   Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark Icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2007 7:01 pm

i thought it was a cool release . . . something different instead of ploding through the same waters . . . .judas be my guide has to one of the greatest songs ever . . . wish they'd play it now
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark   Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark Icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2007 7:28 pm

TheGooch wrote:
its awesome i think its great. although not as good as their classics. i am going to see them in two week sand two days for the first time and i cant waitr

Awesome - you'll enjoy the show. The AMOLAD stage is cool - made up to be like a WWII war trench. They did a great job on the lighting.

FOTD is a concert staple now and is AWESOME live (and I love the studio version) - the crowd will go nuts as soon as they first chords are played.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark   Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: