Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Albums you used to love, but now you can't understand why

Go down 
+20
mc666
Metal Misfit
DallasBlack
Sword Of The Heretic
Mglaffas81
metalheaded
Leatherface
Eyesore
Joe
DeathCult
bassman
A Handful of Wayne
ultmetal
exact33
EmoElmo
Troublezone
Lurideath
Temple of Blood
thejokeriv
kmorg
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Albums you used to love, but now you can't understand why - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Albums you used to love, but now you can't understand why   Albums you used to love, but now you can't understand why - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2011 10:32 am

EmoElmo wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Metallica - And Justice For All

I thought it was the greatest thing ever back in the day... The production is crap, and the songs drag on too long.
A lot of people say this, but I think the production is the best Metallica ever had. Lars' drums never sounded better. And even if there is "no bass," it's totally not needed.

Argh, the mixing is terrible, Seems like they forgot the Mids here, Snare drums predominate and you can hear Lars' fake (layered) drumming all over, makes you wonder how mediocre of a drummer he is, the volume level I believe is only 89 decibels, which is way too low for a Metal record, Ironically, the Rawness and production flaws actually helped to achieve define the overall 'feel' of the album.
Jesus. That again. There is no fake drumming on that album.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Albums you used to love, but now you can't understand why   Albums you used to love, but now you can't understand why - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2011 10:34 am

Mglaffas81 wrote:
EmoElmo wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Metallica - And Justice For All

I thought it was the greatest thing ever back in the day... The production is crap, and the songs drag on too long.
A lot of people say this, but I think the production is the best Metallica ever had. Lars' drums never sounded better. And even if there is "no bass," it's totally not needed.

Argh, the mixing is terrible, Seems like they forgot the Mids here, Snare drums predominate and you can hear Lars' fake (layered) drumming all over, makes you wonder how mediocre of a drummer he is, the volume level I believe is only 89 decibels, which is way too low for a Metal record, Ironically, the Rawness and production flaws actually helped to achieve define the overall 'feel' of the album.
What!? Justice features Lars' best drumwork EVER! "Fake" drumming? Please specify. I also love the way his snare sounds, it's great! Lars really peaked on this album, and being a drummer myself, I can really appreciate it.
There is nothing to specify. It's a silly "Hate Lars" rumor that cropped up years ago. People insist they were chopping up tape and splicing it all together to make Lars' drum work sound more impressive. They insist he never played that stuff.

Only he played it live without issue. Go figure, huh?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Albums you used to love, but now you can't understand why   Albums you used to love, but now you can't understand why - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2011 12:12 pm

The mix on Justice is horrendous, including the drum sound.
Back to top Go down
Sword Of The Heretic
Metal master
Metal master
Sword Of The Heretic

Number of posts : 605

PostSubject: Re: Albums you used to love, but now you can't understand why   Albums you used to love, but now you can't understand why - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2011 1:31 pm

Asia-Astra

I found this in the cutout bin back in 1987 when I was 10. I LOVED this album back then. Today, I haven't the foggiest idea why I enjoyed it so much.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Albums you used to love, but now you can't understand why   Albums you used to love, but now you can't understand why - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2011 1:53 pm

I can honestly say that there is no album I used to love but don't anymore.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Albums you used to love, but now you can't understand why   Albums you used to love, but now you can't understand why - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2011 2:13 pm

S.D. wrote:
The mix on Justice is horrendous, including the drum sound.

I agree
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Albums you used to love, but now you can't understand why   Albums you used to love, but now you can't understand why - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2011 2:19 pm

I'll admit that Lars's drumming is more technical on AJFA. But he really struggled... From what i've heard, it took him several retakes to get it right. (especially the last song)

Gene Hoglan would've had the drums done in one day. (and a lot better)
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

PostSubject: Re: Albums you used to love, but now you can't understand why   Albums you used to love, but now you can't understand why - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2011 3:08 pm

Troublezone wrote:
I'll admit that Lars's drumming is more technical on AJFA. But he really struggled... From what i've heard, it took him several retakes to get it right. (especially the last song)

Well, as Eyesore stated, he played the songs flawlessly live, so "from what you've heard" doesn't really say much. It's all people base their hate on, they hear something from somewhere and perceive it as fact. Lars' drumming was fantastic on that album - And Gene Hogland could never have done the same, since they are two very different drummers.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Albums you used to love, but now you can't understand why   Albums you used to love, but now you can't understand why - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2011 5:03 pm

Mglaffas81 wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

Well, as Eyesore stated, he played the songs flawlessly live, so "from what you've heard" doesn't really say much. It's all people base their hate on, they hear something from somewhere and perceive it as fact. Lars' drumming was fantastic on that album - And Gene Hogland could never have done the same, since they are two very different drummers.

Flawless? Are you sure you were sober when you saw him play?
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

PostSubject: Re: Albums you used to love, but now you can't understand why   Albums you used to love, but now you can't understand why - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2011 6:25 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Mglaffas81 wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

Hmmm, well judging from the "Live Sh!t: Binge and Purge" shows, I'd say he did a pretty damn good job!
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Albums you used to love, but now you can't understand why   Albums you used to love, but now you can't understand why - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2011 9:56 pm

Mglaffas81 wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Mglaffas81 wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

Hmmm, well judging from the "Live Sh!t: Binge and Purge" shows, I'd say he did a pretty damn good job!

Like live albums can't be manipulated. Razz

(Not really the emicon I was wanting to put on there. Where's the stirring the pot smiley?)
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Albums you used to love, but now you can't understand why   Albums you used to love, but now you can't understand why - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 11:40 am

I never listen to the same album twice. One and done. Why do so many of you continue to live in the past?
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Albums you used to love, but now you can't understand why   Albums you used to love, but now you can't understand why - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 4:54 pm

do a google search for "and Justice for Jason" & you'll find the Justice album with some bottom end in it. it's what i always play when i want to hear AJFA.

Getizzyback
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Getizzyback

Number of posts : 428

PostSubject: Re: Albums you used to love, but now you can't understand why   Albums you used to love, but now you can't understand why - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 7:10 pm

EmoElmo wrote:

ACDC "Blow Up Your Video"

My personal opinion, I believe Blow Up Your Video is the worst thing AC/DC ever thought about!

Stiff Upper Lip and Black Ice are even better!

I bought the album when I was a diehard fan (the day it was released) and I was disappointed majorly.

I guess it doesn't qualify for me to say this album for this thread!

I'll say Bon Jovi's New Jersey and Keep The Faith albums. I played them to death when they were newer.

Now, I just don't get into them anymore.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Albums you used to love, but now you can't understand why   Albums you used to love, but now you can't understand why - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 7:11 pm

Metal Misfit wrote:
I never listen to the same album twice. One and done. Why do so many of you continue to live in the past?

Cause we like Jethro Tull

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Albums you used to love, but now you can't understand why   Albums you used to love, but now you can't understand why - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 7:13 pm

I liked both Tempest lps and Scarlet Red when they first came out. Listened to them recently and laughed to myself, "well it wasn't cause I was on drugs then"

PostSubject: Re: Albums you used to love, but now you can't understand why   Albums you used to love, but now you can't understand why - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 8:12 pm

James B. wrote:
Metal Misfit wrote:

Cause we like Jethro Tull

Albums you used to love, but now you can't understand why - Page 2 25679
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Albums you used to love, but now you can't understand why   Albums you used to love, but now you can't understand why - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 9:01 pm

James B. wrote:
I liked both Tempest lps and Scarlet Red when they first came out. Listened to them recently and laughed to myself, "well it wasn't cause I was on drugs then"

Ouch - those are pretty bad!
Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: Albums you used to love, but now you can't understand why   Albums you used to love, but now you can't understand why - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2011 12:50 am

James B. wrote:

I always thought the guitar playing on the Scarlet Red disc was decent, not great, but he had a good tone for hair metal.
Back to top Go down
The_Jayroh
Metal master
Metal master
The_Jayroh

Number of posts : 823

PostSubject: Re: Albums you used to love, but now you can't understand why   Albums you used to love, but now you can't understand why - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2011 4:39 pm

Slipknot - Iowa

I used to love that album. I went back and listened to it a few months ago for kicks, and it just gets on my nerves :\
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1009170115&sk=info
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Albums you used to love, but now you can't understand why   Albums you used to love, but now you can't understand why - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2011 4:42 pm

Klank - Still Suffering

Six Feet Deep - Struggle

Just lost interest. There's a few others like that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Albums you used to love, but now you can't understand why   Albums you used to love, but now you can't understand why - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Albums you used to love, but now you can't understand why
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2