Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

John Galt (Sleaze from the Ukraine)

Go down 
+12
BearOnUnicycle
stormspell
Mglaffas81
ultmetal
Ostap JG
Schbopo
MetalGuy71
Temple of Blood
exact33
tohostudios
Eyesore
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Ostap JG
Metal novice
Metal novice
Ostap JG

Number of posts : 33

John Galt (Sleaze from the Ukraine) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: John Galt (Sleaze from the Ukraine)   John Galt (Sleaze from the Ukraine) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2012 5:59 pm

lol, who cares?
Back to top Go down
http://johngaltrocks.com/
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: John Galt (Sleaze from the Ukraine)   John Galt (Sleaze from the Ukraine) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2012 6:09 pm

Mglaffas81 wrote:

Why do you americans keep putting "the" in front of a countrie's name? It's called "From Ukraine" not "the Ukraine" - You don't say "the Italy" either, now do ya'? You can only use "the" about countries that are pronounced plural - like the United States, or the Falkland Islands.

Sorry for the off-topic remark, just had to clear that up Very Happy
You Americans? Like asshats from the UK don't say or write "the Ukraine?" Pffft!

The definite article—the—is commonly used because that was the preferred way of saying it prior to the country being declared independent in the 90s. Before then, it simply referred to a region of the world, similar to the Arctic or the Middle East.

While the Ukraine may not be the preferred way of saying it today, it is hardly wrong. Remember when pompous douches slammed Fred Durst for saying "in agreeance" at an awards show? Yeah, he wasn't wrong either.

But thanks for the grammar lesson. You may want to start capitalizing "Americans" and stop misspelling the plural of "country." =)

Last edited by Eyesore on Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: John Galt (Sleaze from the Ukraine)   John Galt (Sleaze from the Ukraine) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2012 6:13 pm

He does raise an interesting point though (to me anyway).

Why exactly do most English speakers refer to some countries with a definite article? We say The United States, The Philippines, The Falkland Islands, The Dominican Republic, The Ivory Coast, etc. I can't really find a common denominator for when we use "the" and when we don't.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: John Galt (Sleaze from the Ukraine)   John Galt (Sleaze from the Ukraine) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2012 6:55 pm

tohostudios wrote:

Why exactly do most English speakers refer to some countries with a definite article? We say The United States, The Philippines, The Falkland Islands, The Dominican Republic, The Ivory Coast, etc. I can't really find a common denominator for when we use "the" and when we don't.
Anything with a plural form gets the article, as does anything with compound or adjectival forms. I think for most people it has to do with how it sounds. I just doesn't sound right in most instances saying Ukraine. That's likely due to decades and decades of the Ukraine being the correct form, though.

But it also could be like when people use are after certain band names when it should be is. Sometimes it just sounds wrong.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: John Galt (Sleaze from the Ukraine)   John Galt (Sleaze from the Ukraine) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2012 7:00 pm

Eyesore wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

Anything with a plural form gets the article, as does anything with compound or adjectival forms. I think for most people it has to do with how it sounds. I just doesn't sound right in most instances saying Ukraine. That's likely due to decades and decades of the Ukraine being the correct form, though.

But it also could be like when people use are after certain band names when it should be is. Sometimes it just sounds wrong.

Dominican Republic, Ivory Coast AND Ukraine aren't plural forms yet we still use "The" before them.

EDIT: Yeah this is totally off-topic but use of the English language fascinates me.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: John Galt (Sleaze from the Ukraine)   John Galt (Sleaze from the Ukraine) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2012 8:29 pm

Mglaffas81 wrote:

Why do you americans keep putting "the" in front of a countrie's name? It's called "From Ukraine" not "the Ukraine" - You don't say "the Italy" either, now do ya'? You can only use "the" about countries that are pronounced plural - like the United States, or the Falkland Islands.

I think 'hey youse guys' doesnt work either...

stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: John Galt (Sleaze from the Ukraine)   John Galt (Sleaze from the Ukraine) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2012 10:50 pm

Schbopo wrote:
I've been looking for good Ukrainian bands

There are few quite good actually:

NATURAL SPIRIT - Folk/Pagan with amazing folklore female singer

CONQUEST - Euro Power Metal a-la early Rhapsody, Stratovarius, Dragonforce, etc. with a distinct slavonic folksy touch. They will be touring USA this summer and cuold play at Warriors of Metal Festival in Ohio along with Helstar and Manilla Road.

Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: John Galt (Sleaze from the Ukraine)   John Galt (Sleaze from the Ukraine) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 12:35 am

I love that first Natural Spirit disc you guys put out. I need to get the new one.
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: John Galt (Sleaze from the Ukraine)   John Galt (Sleaze from the Ukraine) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 1:29 am

You mean me, myself, and I... Why thank you! The new album is great too. It took a long time as the original singer got ongoing problem with her vocal cords and a replacement had to be found.

I still cringe at the artwork to be honest, but it was drawn by Oleg's wife (who's also the band's manager) and there was no way I can talk them to replace it. It was supposed to be an epic drawing similar to Bathory's "Blood on Ice", although you can see it didn't come exactly like that, oh well Smile

Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: John Galt (Sleaze from the Ukraine)   John Galt (Sleaze from the Ukraine) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 1:41 am

Yeah, not quite. I love the guy with the mustache. lol!
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: John Galt (Sleaze from the Ukraine)   John Galt (Sleaze from the Ukraine) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 2:07 am

tohostudios wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

Dominican Republic, Ivory Coast AND Ukraine aren't plural forms yet we still use "The" before them.

EDIT: Yeah this is totally off-topic but use of the English language fascinates me.
We in Russia also have a problem of that kind Very Happy. There are two prepositions that can be used when oneself speaks about something happened "in" (or "on") Ukraine.
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

PostSubject: Re: John Galt (Sleaze from the Ukraine)   John Galt (Sleaze from the Ukraine) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 4:46 am

Eyesore wrote:
Mglaffas81 wrote:

You Americans? Like asshats from the UK don't say or write "the Ukraine?" Pffft!

The definite article—the—is commonly used because that was the preferred way of saying it prior to the country being declared independent in the 90s. Before then, it simply referred to a region of the world, similar to the Arctic or the Middle East.

While the Ukraine may not be the preferred way of saying it today, it is hardly wrong. Remember when pompous douches slammed Fred Durst for saying "in agreeance" at an awards show? Yeah, he wasn't wrong either.

But thanks for the grammar lesson. You may want to start capitalizing "Americans" and stop misspelling the plural of "country." =)

All right, I should capitalize "Americans", I'll give you that - but the plural form of "country" is still "countries"! Laughing

And just because it was "the popular way of saying it", doesn't make it right. That would be like naming humans with a definite article.

Last edited by Mglaffas81 on Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

PostSubject: Re: John Galt (Sleaze from the Ukraine)   John Galt (Sleaze from the Ukraine) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 4:47 am

OKAY, I see the problem - I should have put the apostrophe after "s" - fine! You guys are still wrong, though.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: John Galt (Sleaze from the Ukraine)   John Galt (Sleaze from the Ukraine) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 10:45 am

John Galt (Sleaze from the Ukraine) - Page 3 Grammartime

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: John Galt (Sleaze from the Ukraine)   John Galt (Sleaze from the Ukraine) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 11:06 am

tohostudios wrote:

And let's not forget THE Ohio State.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: John Galt (Sleaze from the Ukraine)   John Galt (Sleaze from the Ukraine) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 11:31 am

Mglaffas81 wrote:

OKAY, I see the problem - I should have put the apostrophe after "s" - fine! You guys are still wrong, though.
Yeah, sorry. Plural possessive. lol!
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: John Galt (Sleaze from the Ukraine)   John Galt (Sleaze from the Ukraine) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 11:32 am

Mglaffas81 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Mglaffas81 wrote:

All right, I should capitalize "Americans", I'll give you that - but the plural form of "country" is still "countries"! Laughing

And just because it was "the popular way of saying it", doesn't make it right. That would be like naming humans with a definite article.
But it was right. It wasn't just popular. That was how you were supposed to say it.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: John Galt (Sleaze from the Ukraine)   John Galt (Sleaze from the Ukraine) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 12:48 pm

All this Ukrainian discussion makes me want some holubsti.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: John Galt (Sleaze from the Ukraine)   John Galt (Sleaze from the Ukraine) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 12:52 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
John Galt (Sleaze from the Ukraine) - Page 3 Grammartime

Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Ostap JG
Metal novice
Metal novice
Ostap JG

PostSubject: Re: John Galt (Sleaze from the Ukraine)   John Galt (Sleaze from the Ukraine) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 3:56 pm

My theory is working! I'm drunk and I'm back you, guys Smile

So anyway, we're working on the next release which is supposed to be bigger then an EP. More things to come later...

And here is a video sample of our working process. We work hard to create new kickass songs, believe us!

Back to top Go down
Ostap JG
Metal novice
Metal novice
Ostap JG

PostSubject: Re: John Galt (Sleaze from the Ukraine)   John Galt (Sleaze from the Ukraine) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 9:45 pm

Hey! We've almost done with guitars, just several solos left. Then it's vocals, and new release is ready to conauer the world!
Back to top Go down
Ostap JG
Metal novice
Metal novice
Ostap JG

PostSubject: Re: John Galt (Sleaze from the Ukraine)   John Galt (Sleaze from the Ukraine) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2012 2:21 pm

Hey there!

Some great news - recently we got signed by Street Symphonies Records, an italian glam/hard rock label. This fall our first LP "Served Hot" will be released.

And one more thing - there would be no contract without people outside Ukraine who spread the word about us, thanx!

P.S. I'm drunk as Smurf again lol

And now the promo pic goes
John Galt (Sleaze from the Ukraine) - Page 3 Band
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: John Galt (Sleaze from the Ukraine)   John Galt (Sleaze from the Ukraine) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 5:17 am

Those physical copies of the EP still available?
Back to top Go down
Ostap JG
Metal novice
Metal novice
Ostap JG

PostSubject: Re: John Galt (Sleaze from the Ukraine)   John Galt (Sleaze from the Ukraine) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 02, 2013 3:35 pm

Hey there!

Not sure if we still have any EPs left, but...

We finaly released our first full-length album - Served Hot on Street Symphonies records.

John Galt (Sleaze from the Ukraine) - Page 3 Served_hot

Tracklist:

1. JGS
2. Riot Radio
3. (One More) Punk Rock Anthem
4. Undeniable
5. White Widow
6. LZ Is Hot
7. When Nature Calls
8. Burn (Nothing In The End)
9. Bad Brotherhood
10. On The Loose

Check out the preview:

And if you're feeling ok to spend some bucks on young ukrainian alcoholics, you can purchase a hard copy or digital on your choice:

http://www.streetsymphonies.com/store.html
http://itunes.apple.com/album/served-hot/id606377501
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: John Galt (Sleaze from the Ukraine)   John Galt (Sleaze from the Ukraine) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 02, 2013 6:01 pm

Yeah, I was the one asking about the EP on your Facebook page. I'll snag this new one when CD Baby gets more. Already on the waiting list...

headbanger
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: John Galt (Sleaze from the Ukraine)   John Galt (Sleaze from the Ukraine) - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

John Galt (Sleaze from the Ukraine)
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next