Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

At your workplace, are you able to listen to music or browse the web?

Go down 
+29
chewie
sheets
MoonChild
T-Roy
thejokeriv
Lari
Sole Survivor
MetalGuy71
DallasBlack
metalinmyveins
A Handful of Wayne
scottmitchell74
kmorg
Leatherface
stepcousin
metalken
stevegarveyfan
The_Jayroh
James B.
Alex Dee Rokket
manny
Fat Freddy
Eyesore
bassman
mc666
exact33
tohostudios
Required Fields
33 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Yes
At your workplace, are you able to listen to music or browse the web? Vote_lcap78%At your workplace, are you able to listen to music or browse the web? Vote_rcap
 78% [ 28 ]
No
At your workplace, are you able to listen to music or browse the web? Vote_lcap22%At your workplace, are you able to listen to music or browse the web? Vote_rcap
 22% [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 36

AuthorMessage
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28454

At your workplace, are you able to listen to music or browse the web? Empty
PostSubject: At your workplace, are you able to listen to music or browse the web?   At your workplace, are you able to listen to music or browse the web? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 05, 2011 5:27 pm

I'm not able to. I work at a call center and I'm not able to browse the web. Since I work on the phones and it's often quite busy (earlier this week we were over 60 calls in queue one day), I am unable to bring in metal CDs to work.

Although, sometimes when it's really slow, I might browse the web on my cell phone in between calls.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: At your workplace, are you able to listen to music or browse the web?   At your workplace, are you able to listen to music or browse the web? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 05, 2011 5:39 pm

I can but there are filters on what websites I can browse. Youtube, MySpace and other social networking sites are blocked. So are all game sites, certain horror sites and all file sharing sites. And music is OK as long as you use headphones.

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: At your workplace, are you able to listen to music or browse the web?   At your workplace, are you able to listen to music or browse the web? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 05, 2011 6:34 pm

tohostudios wrote:
I can but there are filters on what websites I can browse. Youtube, MySpace and other social networking sites are blocked. So are all game sites, certain horror sites and all file sharing sites. And music is OK as long as you use headphones.

pretty much the same setup for me. Ill surf on my lunch (if i get one) but most of the time I rock to work. My days are really really busy so the most of the time i dont have spare time to surf.

mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: At your workplace, are you able to listen to music or browse the web?   At your workplace, are you able to listen to music or browse the web? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 05, 2011 6:46 pm

i can do whatever i want, time permitting.

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: At your workplace, are you able to listen to music or browse the web?   At your workplace, are you able to listen to music or browse the web? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 05, 2011 6:59 pm

exact33 wrote:
My days are really really busy so the most of the time i dont have spare time to surf.

That's what it's been like for me lately as well.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: At your workplace, are you able to listen to music or browse the web?   At your workplace, are you able to listen to music or browse the web? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 05, 2011 7:12 pm

I'm in a service industry which keeps me on the road a lot of the time, about 1000 miles a week behind the wheel.

Luckily, my work truck has both a CD player and an mp3 player jack so I listen to all the music I want.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39631

PostSubject: Re: At your workplace, are you able to listen to music or browse the web?   At your workplace, are you able to listen to music or browse the web? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 05, 2011 7:42 pm

Oh yeah ! I have no problems whatsoever.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: At your workplace, are you able to listen to music or browse the web?   At your workplace, are you able to listen to music or browse the web? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 05, 2011 8:17 pm

I work from home. I'm currently online and watching TV. Haha. But I work my ass off, too.

Companies need to allow their people more freedom when it comes to Internet, music, etc. There's this idea that productivity is better when that stuff is blocked, which I completely disagree with. When you allow these things, it boost moral. When moral goes up, productivity goes up.

There are, of course, slackers galore out there, so you have to monitor work output. If you see someone has been doing nothing by streaming TV shows on Hulu all day, then you reprimand him. If work output remains low and the other stuff remains high, then you smurf poo-can him. Simple.

But most business owners who employ smart, fair managers should have no issues. If my boss treats me with kindness and respect, then I'll bust my ass for him or her.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: At your workplace, are you able to listen to music or browse the web?   At your workplace, are you able to listen to music or browse the web? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 05, 2011 8:33 pm

Eyesore wrote:
I work from home. I'm currently online and watching TV. Haha. But I work my ass off, too.

Companies need to allow their people more freedom when it comes to Internet, music, etc. There's this idea that productivity is better when that stuff is blocked, which I completely disagree with. When you allow these things, it boost moral. When moral goes up, productivity goes up.

There are, of course, slackers galore out there, so you have to monitor work output. If you see someone has been doing nothing by streaming TV shows on Hulu all day, then you reprimand him. If work output remains low and the other stuff remains high, then you smurf poo-can him. Simple.

But most business owners who employ smart, fair managers should have no issues. If my boss treats me with kindness and respect, then I'll bust my ass for him or her.

I agree. I am far more likely to go out of my way for someone who i think treats me with respect than i am someone who rules by force. There will be those who goof off but get rid of them, unless you cant because they are contractually organized.

Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

PostSubject: Re: At your workplace, are you able to listen to music or browse the web?   At your workplace, are you able to listen to music or browse the web? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 05, 2011 8:40 pm

I share my office with two other people who thankfully don't care that I listen to music all day, every day.

My supervisor is in an entirely different building 20 miles away so I can pretty much do whatever I want internet-wise as well.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: At your workplace, are you able to listen to music or browse the web?   At your workplace, are you able to listen to music or browse the web? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 05, 2011 8:47 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
My supervisor is in an entirely different building 20 miles away so I can pretty much do whatever I want internet-wise as well.
this explains the Kiss cats... lack of proper supervision.

Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

PostSubject: Re: At your workplace, are you able to listen to music or browse the web?   At your workplace, are you able to listen to music or browse the web? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 05, 2011 8:52 pm

mc666 wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

lol!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: At your workplace, are you able to listen to music or browse the web?   At your workplace, are you able to listen to music or browse the web? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 05, 2011 10:13 pm

tohostudios wrote:

Same here, with the exception of headphones, I am usually on the phone so that is out for me.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: At your workplace, are you able to listen to music or browse the web?   At your workplace, are you able to listen to music or browse the web? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 05, 2011 10:33 pm

mc666 wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

no. thats just the results. the explanation is a lot more complicated....

and frightening

Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: At your workplace, are you able to listen to music or browse the web?   At your workplace, are you able to listen to music or browse the web? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 05, 2011 10:38 pm

I work in the corporate world - neither is permitted during work hours. Facebook, youtube, listening to music - big no no.

The work hours are 9 - 5; we are there to work and serve the interests of our very important clients who move the world's economy. Hence any distraction from this activity results in poor time use and management and loss of money to the firm.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12630

PostSubject: Re: At your workplace, are you able to listen to music or browse the web?   At your workplace, are you able to listen to music or browse the web? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 05, 2011 11:49 pm

My workplace covers 100 of 1000's of square miles. If I forget the Ipod, life sucks Laughing very hard

In the middle of nowhere, if you can get radio reception. It's country music or sometin worse.

Metal master
Metal master
The_Jayroh

Number of posts : 823

PostSubject: Re: At your workplace, are you able to listen to music or browse the web?   At your workplace, are you able to listen to music or browse the web? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 12:35 am

I'm a host at the UAH Baptist Student Center, so I live at my job. Obviously yes Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1009170115&sk=info
stevegarveyfan
Metal master
Metal master
stevegarveyfan

Number of posts : 613

PostSubject: Re: At your workplace, are you able to listen to music or browse the web?   At your workplace, are you able to listen to music or browse the web? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 12:42 am

I listen to a lot of metal. I have my own office that very few people enter. Heh heh
Back to top Go down
metalken
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 816

PostSubject: Re: At your workplace, are you able to listen to music or browse the web?   At your workplace, are you able to listen to music or browse the web? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 1:31 am

Background music is always on at the restaurant I work at. Sadly it is set to the "hits" of today.

Web browsing is a no-no as well when doing office work. Only exception is Facebook, but supposedly it should only be used to promote the restaurant as a few of us are admins.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: At your workplace, are you able to listen to music or browse the web?   At your workplace, are you able to listen to music or browse the web? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 1:59 am

no web browsing but I can listen to MP3 players on headphones for most of my 8 hour shift. I used to go most of the whole 8 hours but the last 2 years or so I've lessened it to about 4 to 5 hours. Unfortunately they play muzak programming over the store speakers, basically hits from the 70's, 80's, 90's and 2000's The 90's and 2000's I hate and the 70's and 80's are stuff I like but way overplayed to the point where I never want to listen to Boston or Styx or Foreigner ever again, even though I like 'em.
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 18952

PostSubject: Re: At your workplace, are you able to listen to music or browse the web?   At your workplace, are you able to listen to music or browse the web? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 5:01 am

Yeah but, I have to be sneaky.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: At your workplace, are you able to listen to music or browse the web?   At your workplace, are you able to listen to music or browse the web? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 5:42 am

I work with cars, so I'm not in front of a computer in my regular working hours. Nor do I have the urge to use one at work either.

Headphones are sort of mandatory equipment, due to health risks with all the loud noises that comes with the job. At first I only had radio in the speakers, but the newer headphones are made so you can use mp3-players or iPod's connected via a jack-plug. So now I bring my own music! headbanger

Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: At your workplace, are you able to listen to music or browse the web?   At your workplace, are you able to listen to music or browse the web? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 6:38 am

I'm lucky and blessed with my work. If my chores and training are done, and we're not responding to calls, we can do what we want. I do the vast majority of my on-line stuff at work, and a good deal of my metal listening.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: At your workplace, are you able to listen to music or browse the web?   At your workplace, are you able to listen to music or browse the web? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 7:10 am

kmorg wrote:
I work with cars, so I'm not in front of a computer in my regular working hours. Nor do I have the urge to use one at work either.

Headphones are sort of mandatory equipment, due to health risks with all the loud noises that comes with the job. At first I only had radio in the speakers, but the newer headphones are made so you can use mp3-players or iPod's connected via a jack-plug. So now I bring my own music! headbanger

technology is wonderful sometimes!!

A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: At your workplace, are you able to listen to music or browse the web?   At your workplace, are you able to listen to music or browse the web? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 9:50 am

Sometimes I wear my headphones and listen to my ipod when im in the office, but I always bring my ipod and a set of speakers when I go out and deliver.

PostSubject: Re: At your workplace, are you able to listen to music or browse the web?   At your workplace, are you able to listen to music or browse the web? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next