Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Pantera VS Lamb Of GoD

Go down 
+29
Cognitive Dissonance
MetalGuy71
MoonChild
Eyesore
stepcousin
ohwellmonkey
Nico
Wurthless
metalinmyveins
Witchfinder
metalhead777
dark avenger
stormspell
Troublezone
adrian
Alex Dee Rokket
metalken
tohostudios
Lurideath
DallasBlack
manny
The_Jayroh
mc666
Vexer6
MetalH
Temple of Blood
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
KaosAntix
33 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Pantera VS Lamb Of GoD
Pantera
Pantera VS Lamb Of GoD - Page 2 Vote_lcap91%Pantera VS Lamb Of GoD - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 91% [ 31 ]
Lamb Of GoD
Pantera VS Lamb Of GoD - Page 2 Vote_lcap9%Pantera VS Lamb Of GoD - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 9% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 34

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

Pantera VS Lamb Of GoD - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pantera VS Lamb Of GoD   Pantera VS Lamb Of GoD - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2011 3:18 am

Troublezone wrote:
Pantera. (no contest)

Phil used to be a good singer, but that LoG guy always sucked. He couldn't sing if he tried... Also Dimebag could do more as a single player than both of those LoG guys together. LoG just took the more annoying attributes of latter-day Pantera and made a career from it.

Well said.
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: Pantera VS Lamb Of GoD   Pantera VS Lamb Of GoD - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2011 4:04 am

It is interesting to see the divergence of opinion between the various demographics on this board. It is apparent to me that on average the thirty and forty something do not like metalcore at all.

Also interesting to see the various thritysomething disliking Pantera. It may not be as generalized as disliking metalcore, and it may well be a particular characteristic of (generally conservative) metal forums. In a way it makes sense as bands like Pantera and LoG are only separated by one, maximum two generations of fans. Most Pantera fans who followed the band back in the 90s are likely to be around their late 20s, or early to mid 30s, which explains the lukewarm response from those in their late 30s and early 40s who likely have stronger interest in more traditional forms of metal, and likely grew up during the 1980s when metal was both at its peek and was setting certain standards and norms for the genre as a whole.

The generation of fans who follow LoG is even younger than those who followed Pantera during the 1990s and into the early 00s. I would assume the largest group of LoG fans nowadays is likely no older than 25 or mid twenties in any case (anywhere between 24 to 26). Their exposure to metal is more limited, and as a result points of comaprison are fewer than those who have listened to metal for over a decade. This may be a factor contributing to the band's popularity and in turn a gateway for younger metal enthusiasts to venture into metal music and discover less mainstream bands.

On the whole, it is not at all surprising to see diverging opinions on current popular metal bands between the various demographics and generations of fans. I would also conclude that metalcore is likely to appeal to the generation of Pantera fans albeit with less charged enthusiasm, by contrast to their younger peers, due at least in part to the benefit of time and of exposure to a wider variety of styles and bands.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Pantera VS Lamb Of GoD   Pantera VS Lamb Of GoD - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2011 6:14 am

Quote :
Most Pantera fans who followed the band back in the 90s are likely to be around their late 20s, or early to mid 30s

I became a fan between CFH and Vulgar Display. I think it was early 1991... There was a lot of great stuff coming out back then. Death/Human, Sepultura/Arise, The Crucified/Pillars of Humanity etc... Not to mention the albums from the Big 4 and Testament the year before.

Good times!
Back to top Go down
dark avenger
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 54

PostSubject: Re: Pantera VS Lamb Of GoD   Pantera VS Lamb Of GoD - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2011 7:42 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
I'm gonna be lazy and copy/paste my response from the last time out:

Quote :
I haven't liked any post-COWBOYS FROM HELL Pantera, but I never liked Lamb of God at all. So Pantera gets it by default.

That.

And i'll add that i don't even like Cowboys From Hell, exept 2 or 3 songs, including Shattered.

But Power Metal, is awesome.
Back to top Go down
metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

PostSubject: Re: Pantera VS Lamb Of GoD   Pantera VS Lamb Of GoD - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2011 8:44 am

I enjoy both to some extent. But have to say Lamb of God on this one. I just cant stand Pantera on The Great Southern Trend Kill or Reinventing the Steel. But at least there are 3-4 songs I like on every LoG release.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Pantera VS Lamb Of GoD   Pantera VS Lamb Of GoD - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2011 10:51 am

Pantera for me all the way. I have always liked them from their early non-Phil stuff through all of the Phil era. I find the hate for Pantera to be tiresome and puzzling. They are a metal band that kept it heavy in the non-metal 90's. Unfortunately Phil destroyed his voice but I think Vulgar Display of Power is one of the best metal albums of all time. LOG is derivative and I can't stand Randy Blythe. I would fight that man in the Octagon.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Pantera VS Lamb Of GoD   Pantera VS Lamb Of GoD - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2011 11:10 am

I like Pantera, but I know this board in particular seems to have kind of "Meh" attitude in regards to liking Pantera, and how they rate versus other metal acts. I've seen some dominating poll results on the HeartofMetal boards, but this one is nothing short of hilarious. What does this ultimately say about a band like Lamb of God? To be honest, I never understood why this band garnered so much attention in the first place.
Back to top Go down
metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

PostSubject: Re: Pantera VS Lamb Of GoD   Pantera VS Lamb Of GoD - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2011 11:49 am

metalinmyveins wrote:
I like Pantera, but I know this board in particular seems to have kind of "Meh" attitude in regards to liking Pantera, and how they rate versus other metal acts. I've seen some dominating poll results on the HeartofMetal boards, but this one is nothing short of hilarious. What does this ultimately say about a band like Lamb of God? To be honest, I never understood why this band garnered so much attention in the first place.
because they are "apparently" the next pantera in terms of groove metal.
I never saw them as that. Just metalcore with a few southern twangs here and there.
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

PostSubject: Re: Pantera VS Lamb Of GoD   Pantera VS Lamb Of GoD - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2011 1:51 pm

Even though I prefer the Power Metal album better than anything post-CFH, I still had to vote Pantera. They are probably the only groove metal band that I like, and Dimebag was just an awesome guitarist. I just wish Phil would've sang instead of yelling at us, because he had a Halford-esque voice that just went to waste. But I still enjoy most of Pantera's catalog to some extent.
Back to top Go down
Nico
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Nico

Number of posts : 444

PostSubject: Re: Pantera VS Lamb Of GoD   Pantera VS Lamb Of GoD - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2011 8:40 pm

I'm not a huge fan of either band, but Pantera have their moments so I'll vote for them. Smile
Back to top Go down
ohwellmonkey
Metal student
Metal student
ohwellmonkey

Number of posts : 118

PostSubject: Re: Pantera VS Lamb Of GoD   Pantera VS Lamb Of GoD - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 1:11 am

I dislike both of them, lamb of god are just pure crap. And thanks to exhorder, pantera had someone to copy. And that's all they did!
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Pantera VS Lamb Of GoD   Pantera VS Lamb Of GoD - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 4:24 am

I heard Pantera's first 2 albums for the first time a couple weeks ago. I never really liked em from what I've heard (the big early 90's albums) but the 80's powerglam thing they had going on back in '83 or '85 really impressed me. And I finally get all the hype about how great Dimebag was. I never got it before but after hearing his Yngwie/neo-metal style of shreddin' on those early albums, I realize now what a talented player he was.
Back to top Go down
The_Jayroh
Metal master
Metal master
The_Jayroh

Number of posts : 823

PostSubject: Re: Pantera VS Lamb Of GoD   Pantera VS Lamb Of GoD - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 3:55 pm

I don't know why there is so much hate for the post Cowboys albums Sad Vulgar Display of Power was amazing, although the quality went down after that imo.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1009170115&sk=info
dark avenger
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 54

PostSubject: Re: Pantera VS Lamb Of GoD   Pantera VS Lamb Of GoD - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 5:22 pm

Some people seem to think Vulgar Display of Power was not that amazing . I belong to that category of people; although, i don't really hate Pantera...but i think they're overrated.

Last edited by dark avenger on Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Pantera VS Lamb Of GoD   Pantera VS Lamb Of GoD - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 5:41 pm

stepcousin wrote:
I heard Pantera's first 2 albums for the first time a couple weeks ago. I never really liked em from what I've heard (the big early 90's albums) but the 80's powerglam thing they had going on back in '83 or '85 really impressed me. And I finally get all the hype about how great Dimebag was. I never got it before but after hearing his Yngwie/neo-metal style of shreddin' on those early albums, I realize now what a talented player he was.

That's interesting, I didn't know about Pantera's beginnings. I only know the "big" albums and know I don't like them. Now I'd like to hear their early albums but after doing some research those things are going for way too much coin for my tastes.

Wow, the more I dig into the history of Pantera the more interesting it gets. The second lead singer for Pantera left to become the vocalist for Lord Tracy? Who knew?

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Pantera VS Lamb Of GoD   Pantera VS Lamb Of GoD - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 2:40 am

Silly question. Lamb of God was a flash-in-the-pan kind of band, popular for a minute while never doing anything groundbreaking. Pantera was...well, I don't even need to say it. We all know.

Pantera will be remember 20 years from now; Lamb of God will occasionally show up on a forum where a single tries to rewrite music history and claim that they were the greatest metal band of all time.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Pantera VS Lamb Of GoD   Pantera VS Lamb Of GoD - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 2:42 am

tohostudios wrote:
stepcousin wrote:

That's interesting, I didn't know about Pantera's beginnings. I only know the "big" albums and know I don't like them. Now I'd like to hear their early albums but after doing some research those things are going for way too much coin for my tastes.

Wow, the more I dig into the history of Pantera the more interesting it gets. The second lead singer for Pantera left to become the vocalist for Lord Tracy? Who knew?
You'd probably really dig the first four albums, man. I wish Vinnie would reissue them. Yeah, they're different, but totally worth re-releasing because they're great albums.

Want me to upload them?
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Pantera VS Lamb Of GoD   Pantera VS Lamb Of GoD - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 3:56 am

Pantera!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Pantera VS Lamb Of GoD   Pantera VS Lamb Of GoD - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 9:48 am

Pantera by a long shot. I couldn't listen to more than a few seconds of Lamb of God.

Metal student
Metal student
Cognitive Dissonance

Number of posts : 124

PostSubject: Re: Pantera VS Lamb Of GoD   Pantera VS Lamb Of GoD - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 11:25 am

manny wrote:
This is no contest Pantera, Dimebag was one of the best guitarist of his generation.
You're joking right? "Diamond" has never laid down a good guitar solo ever! If he wasn't dead, nobody would be talking about him.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Pantera VS Lamb Of GoD   Pantera VS Lamb Of GoD - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 11:34 am

I don't think Dime was really known for his lead playing, but rather for his groove-based rhythm guitar playing.

Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Pantera VS Lamb Of GoD   Pantera VS Lamb Of GoD - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 12:07 pm

I like the first four Pantera (I Am The Night, etc.) albums, but the stuff their most popular for doesn't do anything for me, pass me an Exhorder record instead Smile.

Lamb of God I don't really like at all.

Last edited by DeathCult on Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Pantera VS Lamb Of GoD   Pantera VS Lamb Of GoD - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 12:43 pm

Eyesore wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
stepcousin wrote:

You'd probably really dig the first four albums, man. I wish Vinnie would reissue them. Yeah, they're different, but totally worth re-releasing because they're great albums.

Want me to upload them?

Could you just send me 1 or 2 tracks? I really can't believe I'd like them because the Pantera I know just isn't my thing at all.

Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Pantera VS Lamb Of GoD   Pantera VS Lamb Of GoD - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 12:46 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
stepcousin wrote:

Want me to upload them?

Could you just send me 1 or 2 tracks? I really can't believe I'd like them because the Pantera I know just isn't my thing at all.

You'd dig "I Am The Night". You definately won't expect how it sounds.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Pantera VS Lamb Of GoD   Pantera VS Lamb Of GoD - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 12:57 pm

Pantera. I've never really given Lamb of God a chance, but I listened to Pantera's Cowboys from Hell and beyond a whole lot.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pantera VS Lamb Of GoD   Pantera VS Lamb Of GoD - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pantera VS Lamb Of GoD
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next