Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Angra vocalist not hitting the high notes

Go down 
+10
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
Shawn Of Fire
Smindas
bassman
DallasBlack
Eyesore
Temple of Blood
exact33
A Handful of Wayne
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

Angra vocalist not hitting the high notes Empty
PostSubject: Angra vocalist not hitting the high notes   Angra vocalist not hitting the high notes Icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 6:44 pm

Has anyone read this from the Angra Vocalist Edu Falaschi?

"Dear friends,

"At last I would like to clarify some facts about my voice with all the sincerity, humility and integrity that I may have.

"For over 20 years I have worked without a day off in the heavy metal style, and we all know how difficult and technically demanding it is. Joining ANGRA, I had to fit a particularly high way of singing, which was totally out of my range, and of the vast majority of the singers! At the time I took the responsibility and faced all the pressure. But 10 years ago it was much easier due to the physical factor, excitement and age. I started to feel, year after year, gradually, the difficulties of singing something so high and out of my natural trait. I fought to the end! I did everything possible to continue to sing the songs, particularly the old ones, always in high pitches, because the melodic metal audience has ever 'demanded' this of us singers. But unfortunately, today, older and more experienced, I assume that I am no longer able to sing so high. I am extremely tired and feeling the weight of all that in my voice, including the region that has always been the most comfortable for me! I'm a baritone singer who dominates the mediums and lows, with drive, singing with a more aggressive chest voice, as I did in SYMBOLS and do in ALMAH. I have conquered many things and built much of my story with my own style.

"Therefore, I made a decision, thinking only and exclusively about the health of my voice and integrity of my career, which I have built with so much struggle and dedication.

"After fulfilling all the promotional activities of [the new ALMAH album] 'Motion', scheduled until the end of the year, I will stop indefinitely to finally rest and be able to deal properly with my health. But I have to point out that from today on I'll just sing whatever is in my natural range, be it in ANGRA or any other band, for my own good! I want to be who I really am, instead of being what people want me to be! In the meantime, I'll continue with my activities as a producer and composer, which are things I love doing, and will not harm at all the progress of my recovery.

"Thank you from the bottom of my heart to all the fans who always supported me and defend me unconditionally! I will always do my best writing and singing good music for you guys, with all my truth and emotion! This is the first step to a new time in my life! I have confidence in the future and will always be passionate about the greatest music ever, HEAVY METAL!"

Funny how it seems like he was almost forced to sing like he does, but if he wasn't comfortable doing it to begin with why did he bother? I think he's a great vocalist and I'm interested in hearing him sing differently. I have heard on a few occasions on some of the Angra albums he almost sounds like he's straining to hit a high note and I guess this is why. I wonder how he will fit in with Angra now and if they will even keep him.

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Angra vocalist not hitting the high notes   Angra vocalist not hitting the high notes Icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 7:45 pm

at least he wants to be true to himself.

A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Angra vocalist not hitting the high notes   Angra vocalist not hitting the high notes Icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 9:47 pm

of course I think he'll sound good either way. I just wonder how it will all fit with angra.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Angra vocalist not hitting the high notes   Angra vocalist not hitting the high notes Icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 10:32 pm

He did it because that is what most people want to hear.

Even Barlow was forced by Shaffer to sing a lot of high stuff out of his natural range.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Angra vocalist not hitting the high notes   Angra vocalist not hitting the high notes Icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 11:24 pm

I think it's awesome. Good for him. A lot of singers can sing unnaturally for a long time, but eventually it catches up to them. If only Mark Slaughter was this honest and humble. Like Mark, most singers just carry on and even sound poor or absolutely atrocious (see Mark Slaughter).
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Angra vocalist not hitting the high notes   Angra vocalist not hitting the high notes Icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 11:26 pm

Eyesore wrote:
I think it's awesome. Good for him. A lot of singers can sing unnaturally for a long time, but eventually it catches up to them.

Usually if I sing out of my range it sounds like utter crap.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: Angra vocalist not hitting the high notes   Angra vocalist not hitting the high notes Icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 11:59 pm

I'm glad he's choosing to stop and take care of his voice. I'm a big fan of Angra and wish them nothing but success with whatever vocalist they have.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Angra vocalist not hitting the high notes   Angra vocalist not hitting the high notes Icon_minitimeFri Sep 30, 2011 2:26 am

Eyesore wrote:
I think it's awesome. Good for him. A lot of singers can sing unnaturally for a long time, but eventually it catches up to them. If only Mark Slaughter was this honest and humble. Like Mark, most singers just carry on and even sound poor or absolutely atrocious (see Mark Slaughter).
My thoughts exactly. Fair play to Edu for being frank about his vocal ability, a lot of singers should do similar.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Angra vocalist not hitting the high notes   Angra vocalist not hitting the high notes Icon_minitimeFri Sep 30, 2011 9:02 am

Eyesore wrote:

Mark Slaughter painted himself into a corner. He was so over the top, so high all the time, that now if he wants to even tour as Slaughter he has to try and hit those notes (and fail, from what I understand). He can't reinvent Slaughter, and he needs to make a living. He honestly needs to put Slaughter to bed and be a guitar player like in Scrap Metal (he's a very good guitarist) but the Slaughter name is what gets the guarantees.

Most singers in Metal & Hard Rock sing way out of their natural range. Joe Elliot is a prime example. He screamed so much and so high for all those notes on the first 4 DL records, that he has shredded his upper register. He still sounds fine lower, though.

Barlow sings WAY WAY out of his natural range and, had IE done the amount of touring that a band like Iron Maiden has done, he'd probably be barely able to talk today.

This Angra guy I'm sure isn't offered the money someone like Mark Slaughter is, so it's probably a little easier for him to take a break and change his style.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Angra vocalist not hitting the high notes   Angra vocalist not hitting the high notes Icon_minitimeFri Sep 30, 2011 9:44 am

If I knew or cared about Angra, this news would probably mean something. That being said, at least the guy's being honest. Good for him not letting pride getting in his way.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Angra vocalist not hitting the high notes   Angra vocalist not hitting the high notes Icon_minitimeFri Sep 30, 2011 11:59 am

I think Slaughter could still do well with another singer. Mark could step aside and simply be the guitarist. With the right new singer, I don't think fans would care.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Angra vocalist not hitting the high notes   Angra vocalist not hitting the high notes Icon_minitimeFri Sep 30, 2011 12:07 pm

Good idea. If he's that good of a guitarist, surely Slaughter songs can't be that hard to play on guitar.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Angra vocalist not hitting the high notes   Angra vocalist not hitting the high notes Icon_minitimeFri Sep 30, 2011 12:19 pm

He toured with Scrap Metal playing Slaughter, Nelson, Night Ranger and other Classic/80s Rock music as a guitarist. He was also the guitarist/vocalist is a Metal power trio pre-VVI...

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Angra vocalist not hitting the high notes   Angra vocalist not hitting the high notes Icon_minitimeFri Sep 30, 2011 12:34 pm

Am I the only one who thought Mark Slaughter's voice sounded "shot" even when he was still supposedly "good?" Even going far back as Vinnie Vincent Invasion, that dude's caterwauling has always caused me physical pain. surprised

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Angra vocalist not hitting the high notes   Angra vocalist not hitting the high notes Icon_minitimeFri Sep 30, 2011 12:39 pm

Nah, his voice was impressive in VVI, even if his tone/style wasn't my preference.

I remember that he had a guitar instructional video, which I was surprised to see.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Angra vocalist not hitting the high notes   Angra vocalist not hitting the high notes Icon_minitimeFri Sep 30, 2011 2:07 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Am I the only one who thought Mark Slaughter's voice sounded "shot" even when he was still supposedly "good?" Even going far back as Vinnie Vincent Invasion, that dude's caterwauling has always caused me physical pain. Angra vocalist not hitting the high notes 685534

Me Angra vocalist not hitting the high notes 337331 I could only take Slaughter in small doses.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Angra vocalist not hitting the high notes   Angra vocalist not hitting the high notes Icon_minitimeFri Sep 30, 2011 2:10 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Am I the only one who thought Mark Slaughter's voice sounded "shot" even when he was still supposedly "good?" Even going far back as Vinnie Vincent Invasion, that dude's caterwauling has always caused me physical pain. Angra vocalist not hitting the high notes 685534

Me Angra vocalist not hitting the high notes 337331 I could only take Slaughter in small doses.

Mark Slaughter has always sounded to me like he's got something jammed in his nasal passages and he's screaming about how he can't get it out.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Angra vocalist not hitting the high notes   Angra vocalist not hitting the high notes Icon_minitimeFri Sep 30, 2011 2:54 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Mark Slaughter painted himself into a corner. He was so over the top, so high all the time, that now if he wants to even tour as Slaughter he has to try and hit those notes (and fail, from what I understand). He can't reinvent Slaughter, and he needs to make a living. He honestly needs to put Slaughter to bed and be a guitar player like in Scrap Metal (he's a very good guitarist) but the Slaughter name is what gets the guarantees.

Most singers in Metal & Hard Rock sing way out of their natural range. Joe Elliot is a prime example. He screamed so much and so high for all those notes on the first 4 DL records, that he has shredded his upper register. He still sounds fine lower, though.

Barlow sings WAY WAY out of his natural range and, had IE done the amount of touring that a band like Iron Maiden has done, he'd probably be barely able to talk today.

This Angra guy I'm sure isn't offered the money someone like Mark Slaughter is, so it's probably a little easier for him to take a break and change his style.

Since you are a vocalist I find your take on this interesting, I 'sang' for a bands as a kid, but I really couldn't sing for sh!t and what I do remember from doing it for 5 years is how physical it is.

So Shawn what is your take on a techie level on my fav vocalist Bon Scott, if you have an opinion on him, I am interested in hearing it.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Angra vocalist not hitting the high notes   Angra vocalist not hitting the high notes Icon_minitimeFri Sep 30, 2011 2:56 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Mark Slaughter has always sounded to me like he's got something jammed in his nasal passages and he's screaming about how he can't get it out.

Maybe that is why he was up all night!
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Angra vocalist not hitting the high notes   Angra vocalist not hitting the high notes Icon_minitimeFri Sep 30, 2011 3:08 pm

manny wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Maybe that is why he was up all night!

insane

or he couldnt throw that knife right!

A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Angra vocalist not hitting the high notes   Angra vocalist not hitting the high notes Icon_minitimeFri Sep 30, 2011 6:17 pm

[quote="DallasBlack"]
Eyesore wrote:
I think it's awesome. Good for him. A lot of singers can sing unnaturally for a long time, but eventually it catches up to them.

Usually if I sing out of my range it sounds like utter crap.[/quote

I didn't know you had a range.....come on, we all saw the videos Razz just kidding lol!

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Angra vocalist not hitting the high notes   Angra vocalist not hitting the high notes Icon_minitimeFri Sep 30, 2011 6:27 pm

lol!
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Angra vocalist not hitting the high notes   Angra vocalist not hitting the high notes Icon_minitimeFri Sep 30, 2011 6:39 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Count me in this camp as well. I actually have the first 2 Slaughter albums and I especially enjoyed the "Queen-ish" music on the second one but then Mark opens his yap and ruins it.

Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Angra vocalist not hitting the high notes   Angra vocalist not hitting the high notes Icon_minitimeFri Sep 30, 2011 8:17 pm

I haven't actually heard any Angra albums with this guy, but a quick look at wikipedia says he's been with the band for ten years, so he does have a decent body of work.

And I don't want to go into arguments, BUT, in general, I don't like these kind of musicians who agree to play in bands they are not 100% comfortable being in. When it's audition time, "yeah I love your music and I'm fully committed", but after they've made enough money or rubbed enough elbows it's "yeah, that was never really my thing, but my next project is something I've wanted to do for a long time".

If you don't think you should get the gig, leave it for the guy who does. I know it's stupid, but I once went to a job interview and after a few questions said "you know what - if I was you, I wouldn't hire me". And no, I'm not a rich prick sfincter. Nor a self-satisfied "expert" (I don't really know anything that well to be smug about it, but I have a degree). I needed the job. I was just the wrong guy for it. I don't do what they expect me to.

Obviously not comparable to this guy, he is a rock musician in Brazil. It's a third world country and everyone does aspire to become something in their area of expertise, so if you're a talented vocalist looking for a job, Angra seems like the big leagues. This guy probably didn't have a choice. But there are other musicians who smurf-for-hire themselves out to any project just to promote themselves. Even if they know in their hearts they are not what the band hiring them needs.
Back to top Go down
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

PostSubject: Re: Angra vocalist not hitting the high notes   Angra vocalist not hitting the high notes Icon_minitimeSat Oct 01, 2011 12:48 am

First thing that came to mind, reading about singers who can't reach their higher ranges as years go by, is Robert Plant.
He can't scream like he did back in the early 1970s, and maybe even on the reunion Jimmy Page and John Paul tuned down lower to help, but from what I read, Plant's voice still cracks and so is not comfortable even attempting the old material any more.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Angra vocalist not hitting the high notes   Angra vocalist not hitting the high notes Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Angra vocalist not hitting the high notes
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next