Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Can't hit the high notes anymore

Go down 
+9
martinsane
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
the sentinel
Boris2008
glassprison
Temple of Blood
ultmetal
MetalGuy71
brokentulsa
13 posters
AuthorMessage
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

Can't hit the high notes anymore Empty
PostSubject: Can't hit the high notes anymore   Can't hit the high notes anymore Icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2015 3:15 pm

So alot of 70s/80s artist are back on the road but a huge majority of them just can't hit the high notes or sing the old songs the way they used to.. I understand these guys are getting older but I have noticed when you have to down-tune the old songs they just dont sound the same...in fact some of the 70s and 80s songs are ruined when you down-tune them...and that makes going to the shows suck...what do you guys and gals think?
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Can't hit the high notes anymore   Can't hit the high notes anymore Icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2015 3:29 pm

It's a rarity that I go to live performances much anymore, so isn't too much of a big deal for me. I'm happy just to get out of the house and away from the wife and kids stresses of everyday living for a night.

That being said, I was very disappointed in the Van Halen show I saw a few years ago. DLR was just dreadful. On the other hand, seeing Black Sabbath around the same time and seeing Ozzy warble off-key all night was part of the charm.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I didn't pay to see either one of those shows mentioned, so I wasn't overly concerned about the performances. Had I paid a small fortune to see them, I may have been more critical.

Last edited by MetalGuy71 on Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Can't hit the high notes anymore   Can't hit the high notes anymore Icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2015 3:31 pm

You know who can still hit the high notes, Micheal Sweet. Man that guy is a powerhouse.

As well, John Gallagher from Raven is still shattering some glass.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Can't hit the high notes anymore   Can't hit the high notes anymore Icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2015 3:34 pm

ultmetal wrote:
As well, John Gallagher from Raven is still shattering some glass.

Truth. He hasn't lost much at all from his prime that I could tell.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Can't hit the high notes anymore   Can't hit the high notes anymore Icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2015 3:47 pm

Sometimes tuning down sounds OK but I agree that many times it ruins the songs.

A lot of these classic bands just hire new young singers to hit all the old notes.

The new guy from Boston sings those insane notes in "More than a Feeling", for example.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Can't hit the high notes anymore   Can't hit the high notes anymore Icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2015 3:50 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:

A lot of these classic bands just hire new young singers to hit all the old notes.

The new guy from Boston sings those insane notes in "More than a Feeling", for example.

While they aren't my cup of tea, the guy that sings in Foreigner now (whose names escapes me) seems by most accounts I've heard to be doing a fine job. Same thing with Journey.

PostSubject: Re: Can't hit the high notes anymore   Can't hit the high notes anymore Icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2015 4:09 pm

I'm actually kind of glad, over the years I've become annoyed with "the high notes" and prefer vocalists that stay comfortably within their range. It helps that very few artists I listen to now feature that type of vocals.

However, I don't have an issue with many of the 70s singers now. Ian Gillan still sounds like nobody else on the planet, even if he can't do Child In Time any longer, the newer songs fit his current range perfectly. Geddy Lee has sounded great on the recent performances of the R40 tour, sure, they tune down a little from what they once did but I don't have an issue with it, the songs are still the same songs and Geddy Lee is still 100% Geddy Lee.

I also generally don't have an issue with bands that tune lower now than they did in the past, to me a live performance doesn't have to sound "exactly" like the studio albums...if I wanted to hear that I'd just stay home and listen to the records instead. I don't mind when bands changes things up, re-arrange and improvise, in fact I prefer it.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Can't hit the high notes anymore   Can't hit the high notes anymore Icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2015 4:27 pm

S.D. wrote:

I also generally don't have an issue with bands that tune lower now than they did in the past, to me a live performance doesn't have to sound "exactly" like the studio albums...if I wanted to hear that I'd just stay home and listen to the records instead.  I don't mind when bands changes things up, re-arrange and improvise, in fact I prefer it.  

I'm in agreement with you there. Extended solos, changing tempo, crowd chatter, heck, even mistakes and false starts make a live show more interesting. If you want perfection, make a playlist on your ipod and stay home.

PostSubject: Re: Can't hit the high notes anymore   Can't hit the high notes anymore Icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2015 4:33 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
S.D. wrote:

I also generally don't have an issue with bands that tune lower now than they did in the past, to me a live performance doesn't have to sound "exactly" like the studio albums...if I wanted to hear that I'd just stay home and listen to the records instead.  I don't mind when bands changes things up, re-arrange and improvise, in fact I prefer it.  

I'm in agreement with you there. Extended solos, changing tempo, crowd chatter, heck, even mistakes and false starts make a live show more interesting. If you want perfection, make a playlist on your ipod and stay home.

The Opeth DVD "In Live Concert At Royal Albert Hall" leaves all the mistakes in place. In one song Mikael breaks a string mid-song and they swap the guitar out, no overdubs or anything fixed. During the last song the lead guitarists rig goes out for like 3 minutes and Mikael just talks to the crowd until it's fixed and they can finish the song. I think that stuff is cool and really gives you the feel of what it would have been like to see that particular show.
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2960

PostSubject: Re: Can't hit the high notes anymore   Can't hit the high notes anymore Icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2015 5:57 pm

Quote :
You know who can still hit the high notes, Micheal Sweet. Man that guy is a powerhouse.

I agree, he sounds great. But he seems self-conscious about it, as he actually asked fans through Facebook how they would feel about another singer being brought in to hit the highest notes on the next Stryper record.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Can't hit the high notes anymore   Can't hit the high notes anymore Icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2015 10:07 pm

glassprison wrote:
Quote :

I agree, he sounds great. But he seems self-conscious about it, as he actually asked fans through Facebook how they would feel about another singer being brought in to hit the highest notes on the next Stryper record.

That would be cool. They could get King Diamond for the high notes!  lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can't hit the high notes anymore   Can't hit the high notes anymore Icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2015 10:23 pm

King Diamond's voice really isn't that high, he just has a great falsetto.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Can't hit the high notes anymore   Can't hit the high notes anymore Icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2015 10:50 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

While they aren't my cup of tea, the guy that sings in Foreigner now (whose names escapes me) seems by most accounts I've heard to be doing a fine job. Same thing with Journey.

It's Kelly Hansen (from Hurricane) and he did a great job when I saw Foreigner this past February. Jeff Pilson's backing vocals are a help too.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Can't hit the high notes anymore   Can't hit the high notes anymore Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2015 12:35 am

Diamond Dave and Vince Neil are both hosed.
Back to top Go down
martinsane
Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

Number of posts : 924

PostSubject: Re: Can't hit the high notes anymore   Can't hit the high notes anymore Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2015 1:55 am

It shames me to nay say my man Kory, but Mr. Clark's voice has been better.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Can't hit the high notes anymore   Can't hit the high notes anymore Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2015 2:47 am

Michael Sweet sings just as good as he always has.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Can't hit the high notes anymore   Can't hit the high notes anymore Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2015 2:49 am

Eric AK from Flotsam struggles with the high notes.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: Can't hit the high notes anymore   Can't hit the high notes anymore Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2015 9:18 am

It really depends on the music. I've heard some bands downtune and I only really noticed when I played the live version next to the studio version because the energy was still there. With some tracks though, maybe it's the melody or the chord change or the performance itself, but downtuning just takes the life out of it.

A prime example is live stuff from the Genesis reunion tour. Not that they were ever really balls out rockers, but some of their stuff became downright sleepy and plodding from the stuff I've seen/heard from that tour.

On the other side, when Rush downtunes, it still sounds good and exciting live.

If someone can't hit the notes and those notes are essential to the song, it loses me a bit - why tour at that point? It'd be like an arthritic guitarist going out on tour but having to mime (badly) to the original tapes or just play in a way that a teenage novice would find embarrassing. I think there's a point where you have to pack it in OR just turn it over to someone else. BUT, if you're going to do that second one, it better be a ringer who can actually bring the thunder or you're REALLY wasting everyone's time by not only watering down the act, but for no good reason.

When I saw Ian Anderson the last time, I knew he'd had a vocal ringer out on tour with him, but the new guy didn't really have that strong a voice anyway. It was ok, but it was a lot of posturing and "theatrical gesturing" when I would have preferred someone who was capable of actually having the vocal oomph Anderson himself was capable of 30 or so years back.

But, for all that, you have guys like David Coverdale who get a lot of crap, but who I have infinite time for. Granted, I can tell even from the official live stuff that his voice is a bit rough, but at his age, I'm amazed he's got a voice to speak of at all. I'd still check out Whitesnake given the chance and I'd be realistic that I was going to see an elder statesman, not some 20/30-something.

So, to answer the question, it depends?
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Can't hit the high notes anymore   Can't hit the high notes anymore Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2015 11:23 am

Quote :
you have guys like David Coverdale who get a lot of crap, but who I have infinite time for. Granted, I can tell even from the official live stuff that his voice is a bit rough, but at his age, I'm amazed he's got a voice to speak of at all. I'd still check out Whitesnake given the chance and I'd be realistic that I was going to see an elder statesman, not some 20/30-something.

Thats why we have Jorn headbanger  who does a better job with whitesnake songs than whitesnake. I have tickets to see whitesnake tonight...been watching some videos of the current "purple" tour and it seems like Coverdale starts out strong but by the end of the show he is spent..plus we are at the end of the first leg of the tour..so I will see. I noticed in the setlist a few nights ago in Texas Coverdale cut the set short by 6 songs because of his voice exhaustion..
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: Can't hit the high notes anymore   Can't hit the high notes anymore Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2015 11:44 am

That's a shame, but it's not exactly outside of the territory for a 63 year old man who did some hard living from the sound of it.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Can't hit the high notes anymore   Can't hit the high notes anymore Icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2015 9:31 am

I was really hoping dane would hit some of his famous high noted on the latest sanctuary album...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can't hit the high notes anymore   Can't hit the high notes anymore Icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2015 1:30 pm

Runicen wrote:

When I saw Ian Anderson the last time, I knew he'd had a vocal ringer out on tour with him, but the new guy didn't really have that strong a voice anyway.  It was ok, but it was a lot of posturing and "theatrical gesturing" when I would have preferred someone who was capable of actually having the vocal oomph Anderson himself was capable of 30 or so years back.  

Of course when it comes to Anderson it's an injury, he permanently damaged his voice in the mid 1980s and there's no returning from that. However, I think he did an awesome job of working within his new range on the material released after that point and I also think he did an excellent job re-arranging many of their older songs so he could still sing them.

With Anderson he's still a great musician and songwriter, I would never want an artist like that to stop recording just because they have a physical setback that limits them in comparison to their early days. He's a better flute player now than ever before, still an excellent acoustic guitarist and one hell of an arranger, those are the type of gifts that keep on giving.

I saw Tull a couple times in the late 90s and they were phenomenal, one of the best live bands I've ever seen. Sure, Anderson didn't sound like he did in 1972, but I think most Tull fans are aware of his vocal injury and are forgiving of that aspect.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Can't hit the high notes anymore   Can't hit the high notes anymore Icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2015 2:56 pm

S.D. wrote:

Plus, he has a girl singer helping him out live these days.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Can't hit the high notes anymore   Can't hit the high notes anymore Icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2015 7:10 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
S.D. wrote:

Plus, he has a girl singer helping him out live these days.

Don't spoil my fun! I just want to see King Diamond as a member of Stryper!  lol!
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: Can't hit the high notes anymore   Can't hit the high notes anymore Icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2015 9:19 am

S.D. wrote:
Runicen wrote:

When I saw Ian Anderson the last time, I knew he'd had a vocal ringer out on tour with him, but the new guy didn't really have that strong a voice anyway.  It was ok, but it was a lot of posturing and "theatrical gesturing" when I would have preferred someone who was capable of actually having the vocal oomph Anderson himself was capable of 30 or so years back.  

Of course when it comes to Anderson it's an injury, he permanently damaged his voice in the mid 1980s and there's no returning from that.  However, I think he did an awesome job of working within his new range on the material released after that point and I also think he did an excellent job re-arranging many of their older songs so he could still sing them.  

With Anderson he's still a great musician and songwriter, I would never want an artist like that to stop recording just because they have a physical setback that limits them in comparison to their early days.  He's a better flute player now than ever before, still an excellent acoustic guitarist and one hell of an arranger, those are the type of gifts that keep on giving.

I saw Tull a couple times in the late 90s and they were phenomenal, one of the best live bands I've ever seen.  Sure, Anderson didn't sound like he did in 1972, but I think most Tull fans are aware of his vocal injury and are forgiving of that aspect.  

I'm with you 100% on that front. I'd love to see IA keep putting stuff out, but I do wish that he would pick top tier SINGERS if he's going to have someone else taking on that role. Martin Barre recently went out doing Tull stuff and put out a few albums of rearranged tunes (highly recommend, actually) and there was a similar problem with his singer being a kind of low key blues singer. It just doesn't add to the material, but at least the guy doesn't get in the way of it. With Anderson, he's always picked such great musicians to back him up, it seems a waste that he doesn't pick someone who can really sell it to the rafters to do the vocal heavy lifting. Just my take. It was still a badass show!

With regard to his vocal injury though, I know he took a hit during the Under Wraps tour in '84 or thereabouts, but there were a couple of other points where his voice went through some very dramatic changes on record. Heavy Horses saw him go really deep and gravelly by comparison to everything that came out before. Then, he almost sounded normal on Stormwatch and A only to go rather thin an nasal on Broadsword and the Beast (a favorite of mine regardless). After Under Wraps, he came back and his voice seemed to get stronger up to Roots to Branches, where it's like the air got taken out of it entirely and he just couldn't push (listen to "This is Not Love" off of Catfish Rising to see what I'm talking about with his voice seeming to bounce back a bit). I'm just curious if there's any info out regarding what happened to his voice other than the obvious vocal fatigue, etc. in '84. Seems like there's more to the story than just that one big blow out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can't hit the high notes anymore   Can't hit the high notes anymore Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Can't hit the high notes anymore
Page 1 of 1