Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Iced Earth's - Dante’s Inferno with Stu

Go down 
+12
Joe
exact33
GrandNational
Lari
Nocturne
DallasBlack
mc666
Eyesore
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
Temple of Blood
Rex
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Iced Earth's - Dante’s Inferno with Stu - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth's - Dante’s Inferno with Stu   Iced Earth's - Dante’s Inferno with Stu - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 2:04 am

Eh. It's a free tune, one meant to give fans a glimpse of Stu's vocals (and I guess allow the band to play the song live in the future). No need to be too critical.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth's - Dante’s Inferno with Stu   Iced Earth's - Dante’s Inferno with Stu - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 7:45 am

I'm actually surprised how much I like this. Stu's voice works rather well. At the very least, this has certainly piqued my interest about the future of the band.

EDIT: Wait. What happened to the Gregorian chant from the middle? That was one of the best parts of the song.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth's - Dante’s Inferno with Stu   Iced Earth's - Dante’s Inferno with Stu - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 8:05 am

Smindas wrote:

EDIT: Wait. What happened to the Gregorian chant from the middle? That was one of the best parts of the song.

Yeah, I love that bit too!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth's - Dante’s Inferno with Stu   Iced Earth's - Dante’s Inferno with Stu - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 8:08 am

Smindas wrote:

Yep, I kept waiting for it and.......nothing. Sad
Back to top Go down
Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth's - Dante’s Inferno with Stu   Iced Earth's - Dante’s Inferno with Stu - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 8:52 am

According to Jon in interviews past, he couldn't remember what the words were as they were just "jibberish." Take that for what it's worth. I think he just didn't care for it. If they were just jibberish couldn't he just make up some new lyrics? I mean most of us have heard the song enough to create some that would sound close I bet.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth's - Dante’s Inferno with Stu   Iced Earth's - Dante’s Inferno with Stu - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 10:12 am

He has no unique qualities in his voice, imo. He will make Iced Earth sound like any other run-off-the-mill bands....

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth's - Dante’s Inferno with Stu   Iced Earth's - Dante’s Inferno with Stu - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 10:15 am

kmorg wrote:
He has no unique qualities in his voice, imo. He will make Iced Earth sound like any other run-off-the-mill bands....

Have you heard him in Into Eternity? I think he sounds pretty unique in that band. If Jon lets him loose and lets him do what comes natural, I think he'll be fine. However if Jon's standing over his shoulder telling him "Do it like Matt would", well that could be a problem.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth's - Dante’s Inferno with Stu   Iced Earth's - Dante’s Inferno with Stu - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 10:17 am

Yes, I own pretty much all Into Eternity albuns. His voice is great for that band, but that style will not fit in Iced Earth. His mid-range lacks charisma, imo.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth's - Dante’s Inferno with Stu   Iced Earth's - Dante’s Inferno with Stu - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 10:26 am

Morrison wrote:
The original had an atmosphere that really made it unique. They should have left it alone IMO.

I'd be inclined to agree but it was a good way to hear how Stu handles the lower registers Barlow was able to get (anybody who knows Into Eternity knows he can hit the high notes). Besides, the best version of that song is on Alive In Athens anyways.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth's - Dante’s Inferno with Stu   Iced Earth's - Dante’s Inferno with Stu - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 12:56 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Smindas wrote:

Man, I'm listening to this one again right now, and I thought the same thing. "Wait...where's the chanting?" Haha.

I guess maybe they couldn't replicate that with just two dudes. I'm convinced we're hearing a drum machine, so it was probably just Jon and Stu who recorded this. But they probably could have come up with something that sounded cool. They have the chanting at the end.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth's - Dante’s Inferno with Stu   Iced Earth's - Dante’s Inferno with Stu - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 1:41 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Smindas wrote:

Man, I'm listening to this one again right now, and I thought the same thing. "Wait...where's the chanting?" Haha.

I guess maybe they couldn't replicate that with just two dudes. I'm convinced we're hearing a drum machine, so it was probably just Jon and Stu who recorded this. But they probably could have come up with something that sounded cool. They have the chanting at the end.

I noticed that too (of course I've heard this song so many times, I was bound to hear any changes).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth's - Dante’s Inferno with Stu   Iced Earth's - Dante’s Inferno with Stu - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 3:14 pm

I listened to a little bit of it yesturday. It sounds like he's trying too much to sound like Barlow. I have to give it a full listen though. This is one of my favorite IE tracks.

I do hope Stu sounds more like himself on the album

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth's - Dante’s Inferno with Stu   Iced Earth's - Dante’s Inferno with Stu - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Iced Earth's - Dante’s Inferno with Stu
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2