Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Motorhead - Inferno

Go down 
+7
mc666
MetalGuy71
thejokeriv
Fat Freddy
INVADERS
ultmetal
Troublezone
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

Motorhead - Inferno Empty
PostSubject: Motorhead - Inferno   Motorhead - Inferno Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 4:07 am

I just got this the other day and i love it! It is definately my new favorite Motorhead album. It reminds me of the metal of (Kill 'Em All) but with a more Rock n' Roll swagger. I love the song "In The Name Of Tragedy". 🤘
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Motorhead - Inferno   Motorhead - Inferno Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 8:01 am

AWESOME CD!!! Definitely at the top of the heap for Motorhead. Even the acoustic number rules!

Metal master
Metal master
INVADERS

Number of posts : 937

PostSubject: Re: Motorhead - Inferno   Motorhead - Inferno Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 8:53 am

one on the best motorhead album in years.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Motorhead - Inferno   Motorhead - Inferno Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 9:17 am

INFERNO is a good'un. The new MOTORIZER ain't too shabby neither.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Motorhead - Inferno   Motorhead - Inferno Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 9:18 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
INFERNO is a good'un. The new MOTORIZER ain't too shabby neither.

I don't have inferno - I'll have to pick it up! I really like Motorizer, great album!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Motorhead - Inferno   Motorhead - Inferno Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 9:48 am

Count me among the minority here, Inferno really didn't float my boat. There are some good songs but not terribly memorable...plus the production is awful.

I much prefer We Are Motorhead and Motorizer.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Motorhead - Inferno   Motorhead - Inferno Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 10:03 am

detuned wrote:
Count me among the minority here, Inferno really didn't float my boat. There are some good songs but not terribly memorable...plus the production is awful.

I'm in the same boat with ya, chief. I like Inferno, but it's not one that I go to as often as We Are Motorhead or the new one.

Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Motorhead - Inferno   Motorhead - Inferno Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 11:13 am

never a bad album from Lemmy & Co.

PostSubject: Re: Motorhead - Inferno   Motorhead - Inferno Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 11:20 am

mc666 wrote:

March Or Die

sick

...but that's the only real stinker (IMHO).
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Motorhead - Inferno   Motorhead - Inferno Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 11:26 am

mc666 wrote:

Agreed. Motorhead - Inferno 604261

PostSubject: Re: Motorhead - Inferno   Motorhead - Inferno Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 11:38 am

detuned wrote:
mc666 wrote:

March Or Die

sick

...but that's the only real stinker (IMHO).

I agree with this. March or Die just sounded weird. It was the closest thing to a "commercial" album for them. But its not a commercial album. Damn, I am making no sense at all.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Motorhead - Inferno   Motorhead - Inferno Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 3:56 pm

Inferno is a great album,definitely in my top 5 faves of Motorhead.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Motorhead - Inferno   Motorhead - Inferno Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 4:29 pm

Here is the buying guide from Classic Rock Magazine, "Inferno" didnot make the list, read and make up your own mind on the mag's opinion:

Buyers’ Guide: Motorhead

terrybezer / Features / 26/11/2008 17:08pm

Motorhead - Inferno Motorhead_cr1It’s an unfair gag that Lemmy and co have been making the same album for 30 years. We appraise their works, warts ‘n’ all.
Think of Lemmy, and clearly defined images scroll across the mind. Rapidly emptying bottles of Jack Daniel’s, fruit machines, warts and moustaches’ the man has become so much a part of British culture that his fame has long outdistanced the career of Motörhead. Yet the band he started in 1975, with a view to shocking horticulturists everywhere (declaring lawns would die if he and his gang moved in next door), have had a massively distinguished and influential career.
Lemmy came up with the Motörhead format after being fired by Hawkwind for ‘taking the wrong drugs’, initially hooking up with former Pink Fairies guitarist Larry Wallis and drummer Lucas Fox. The line-up lasted long enough to record the On Parole album for United Artists, before the band were dropped by the label and the record shelved (eventually coming out in 1979).
Stopping only to sign to Chiswick, and swapping Wallis and Fox for ‘Fast’ Eddie Clarke and Phil ‘Philthy Animal’ Taylor respectively, Motörhead released their self-titled debut in 1977 ­ amazingly, it charted. The trio¹s brand of dirty rock¹n¹roll appealed to punks and metalheads alike. The next few years were groundbreaking. The albums Overkill (1979), Bomber (also1979) and Ace Of Spades (1980) were increasingly successful. On the Bronze label, by now the band were even getting mainstream TV attention. So, it was no surprise when 1981’s stunning live album No Sleep ‘Til Hammersmith debuted at number one on the UK charts.
But two years later, Clarke quit, and Motörhead brought in former Thin Lizzy man Brian Robertson for the underrated Another Perfect Day (1983). However, there was to be another upheaval when Lemmy refashioned Motörhead in the mid-’80s, recruiting ex-Saxon drummer Pete Gill, plus guitarists Wurzel and Phil Campbell. And, while the band have never reached the same heights, nonetheless they’ve shown a certain degree of consistency over the past two decades. In 1987, Taylor returned to the fold (he would be fired five years later, with Mikkey Dee coming in). And when in 1995 Wurzel left; Motörhead reverted to the three-piece format, which has remained intact for the last 13 years.
Grammy Award winners in 2005 (ironically for a cover of Whiplash by Metallica, one of the many big names they’ve inspired), Motörhead now attract a new, younger audience, one that realises 33 years on, Motörhead play nastier, more guttural riffs than almost anyone. Your lawn still isn¹t safe.
ESSENTIAL: CLASSICS

OVERKILL
Bronze, 1979
Motorhead - Inferno Overkill_cr
The album that really started the Motörhead craze, and established their unmistakable style ­ one that¹s barely varied to this day. It’s full of songs that have become Motör classics over the years, from No Class to Stay Clean, Capricorn to Tear Ya Down. And the title track is inimical yet also warm. The unmistakable, unmissable drum pattern stills draws gasps of awe.
But what makes Overkill so successful as an album is that there’s a thorough consistency throughout ­ no song is wasted, no beat is merely thrown away. A lot of hard work and thought went into making this sound so simple. Three decades on, it¹s an essential masterclass for Motörhead wannabes.
ACE OF SPADES
Bronze, 1980
Motorhead - Inferno Aos_cr
There¹s little doubt that 1980 was a vintage year for hard rock and metal albums ­ and this stunner was right up there with the best. If there¹s one Motörhead record that defined the classic trio of Lemmy, Fast Eddie and Philthy Phil then this is surely it. Whatever happened in the studio produced a towering classic. Uncompromising yet commercial, edgy yet radio-friendly, Motörhead weaved a unique fabric of energy, riffs, melody and wit. Mere mention of the song titles ­ Ace Of Spades, (We Are) The Roadcrew, Jailbait ­ is enough to get the blood pumping. But the whole is greater than the sum of individual tracks.
SUPERIOR: THE ONES THAT HELPED CEMENT THEIR REPUTATION

MOTÖRHEAD
Chiswick, 1977
Motorhead - Inferno Motorhead_cr
Although this wasn¹t the first album recorded by the band ­ that was On Parole ­ the self-titled record was their debut release. With the classic line-up in place, Motörhead actually wanted this to be a live farewell record, as they seemed to be getting nowhere slowly. Thankfully, they were persuaded to go into the studio, recording most of the album in just two days. The lack of time and budget suited their style. What comes across is a raw, aggressive trio, straddling punk and metal on songs like Iron Horse/Born To Lose, White Line Fever and the revamped Hawkwind number Motörhead. A vibrant and urging introduction to the band.

BOMBER

Bronze, 1979
Motorhead - Inferno Bomber_cr
Recording two albums in one year can have the effect of drastically diminishing the potency of the latter release. Not so here. Motörhead followed Overkill with a record that was almost its equal. Bomber kept up the momentum and quality of its predecessor through a succession of top songs, with Lemmy excoriating personal targets such as his father (Poison), the police (Lawman) and heroin (Dead Men Tell No Tales ­ ironic when you consider Bomber producer Jimmy Miller was heavily into the drug at the time). The title track became a de rigueur part of the band’s live show, thanks to the unforgettable 40ft replica of a Heinkel.

NO SLEEP ‘TIL HAMMERSMITH

Bronze, 1981
Motorhead - Inferno Nsth_cr
One of the finest live albums of all time, No Sleep captured the full glory of the band in their pomp. Recorded during three shows on the Short, Sharp Pain In The Neck UK tour in ‘81, it’s a breathless hurtle through Motörhead’s most memorable material, when everything was louder than everything else. There’s scarcely any room for breath, as a fierce pace is maintained throughout. Lemmy, Clarke and Taylor were all in rousing form, and if anyone ever questions just how powerful Motörhead were onstage at the time, this will scatter those doubts. It debuted at number one ­ putting the seal on the Motör¹s legend.

ORGASMATRON

GWR, 1986
Motorhead - Inferno Orgasmatron_cr
The first, and last, full album to feature drummer Pete Gill, it amply showcased that the new guitar alliance of Wurzel and Phil Campbell was ready to take Motörhead forward. This is probably the band¹s heaviest record, with the title track, Deaf Forever and Doctor Rock earning their spurs, proving this new line-up had plenty to offer. In addition, the dirty Motörhead groove which had made them so successful a few years earlier was still intact, this time operating under the expert guidance of producer Bill Laswell. Incidentally, ever wonder why there¹s a train on the cover? Because the album was originally to be called Ridin¹ With The Driver.
GOOD: WORTH EXPLORING

IRON FIST
Bronze, 1982
Motorhead - Inferno Iron_fist_cr
How do you follow Ace Of Spades? For many, Iron Fist didn¹t quite cut the proverbial mustard. But while it might not have lived up to the expectations of the time, it was far from disappointing. The problem arose when the band elected Eddie Clarke to produce what turned out to be his last album with the band ­ which might not have been the best decision they ever made.
However, there¹s enough strong music here to cut through any studio deficiencies. The title track is arguably among the very best that Motörhead have ever done, while Heart Of Stone and (Don’t Let ‘Em) Grind You Down are no slackers either.
ANOTHER PERFECT DAY
Bronze, 1983
Motorhead - Inferno Motor_cr
When Fast Eddie quit Motörhead in 1982, nobody expected his replacement to be former Thin Lizzy hero Brian Robertson. As a result, though, many believed this album ­ the only one to feature Robertson ­ to be a misguided clash of styles. However, time has proven Motörhead made an inspired choice of new guitarist. Robertson added a fresh blues edge to the music, while also delivering some of the finest lead work of his career. Lemmy and Philthy ensured the essential Motör flash and groove remained inviolate.
Not heard this album for a while? Give it another spin.

Epic, 1991
Motorhead - Inferno 1916_cr
After the disappointment of 1987¹s Rock ‘N’ Roll, Motörhead were firmly back in the saddle on an album where they showed a remarkable aptitude for taking risks. The title track was unlike anything the band had ever attempted before, being a mournful ballad about the unnecessary loss of life during the First World War, while R.A.M.O.N.E.S. was a tribute to the legendary band of the same name. If Going To Brazil and The One To Sing The Blues were more in step with what was expected of Motörhead, it was the intense diversity that makes 1916 the best record the band have made in the past two decades.
AVOID

ROCK N ROLL
GWR, 1987
Motorhead - Inferno Rnr_cr
After the impressive Orgasmatron, and with Philthy back on drums, much was expected of this record. However, it turned out to be something of a disaster. Apart from Eat The Rich, it’s a collection of misaligned songs which never get close to emulating the precision and energy that had made the band such a major global phenomenon. Exactly why Motörhead fell down so badly remains a mystery. But the fact is that the tracks sound rushed and lacklustre. It was as if there was no enthusiasm in the studio, maybe a measure of over-confidence. Probably the only truly dreadful Motörhead record.
MALCOLM DOME
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Motorhead - Inferno   Motorhead - Inferno Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 4:33 pm

Malcolm Dome is a putz. Rock N Roll is a great Motorhead record.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Motorhead - Inferno   Motorhead - Inferno Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 4:39 pm

I actually Rock N Roll also, the title track is a killer opening track and it also serves as Lemmy's mission statement.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Motorhead - Inferno   Motorhead - Inferno Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 6:40 pm

manny wrote:
I actually Rock N Roll also, the title track is a killer opening track and it also serves as Lemmy's mission statement.

It's worth having for the "Motorhead Prayer" by Michael Palin alone.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Motorhead - Inferno   Motorhead - Inferno Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 7:06 pm

spectrefate wrote:
Malcolm Dome is a putz. Rock N Roll is a great Motorhead record.

I agree, I'd even put it ahead of Orgasmatron
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Motorhead - Inferno   Motorhead - Inferno Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2008 7:46 am

detuned wrote:

Are you sure you're talking about the same album? The production is awesome.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Motorhead - Inferno   Motorhead - Inferno Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2008 11:09 am

troublezone wrote:

Are you sure you're talking about the same album? The production is awesome.

I've been re-listening to this album this morning, my description of the production as "terrible" was probably over-stated...but I still don't really like the sound of this disc, too shrill and upper mid-range focused (especially the lead guitar tones). But that's just a matter of personal taste.

However, I still think the songwriting on this album is sub-par for Motorhead and the songs aren't very memorable.
Back to top Go down
Moderus
Metal novice
Metal novice
Moderus

Number of posts : 4

PostSubject: Re: Motorhead - Inferno   Motorhead - Inferno Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2008 4:20 pm

I prefer Overnight Sensation.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Motorhead - Inferno   Motorhead - Inferno Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 9:10 am

manny wrote:
Here is the buying guide from Classic Rock Magazine, "Inferno" didnot make the list, read and make up your own mind on the mag's opinion:

ROCK N ROLL
GWR, 1987
After the impressive Orgasmatron, and with Philthy back on drums, much was expected of this record. However, it turned out to be something of a disaster. Apart from Eat The Rich, it’s a collection of misaligned songs which never get close to emulating the precision and energy that had made the band such a major global phenomenon. Exactly why Motörhead fell down so badly remains a mystery. But the fact is that the tracks sound rushed and lacklustre. It was as if there was no enthusiasm in the studio, maybe a measure of over-confidence. Probably the only truly dreadful Motörhead record.
MALCOLM DOME

I just picked up a used copy of ROCK N ROLL this week and I'm diggin' it. Usually I respect Malcolm Dome's opinion, but "a disaster?" "a dreadful Motorhead record?" Is there really such a thing? I like it just fine!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Motorhead - Inferno   Motorhead - Inferno Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 9:25 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
manny wrote:

ROCK N ROLL
GWR, 1987
MALCOLM DOME

I just picked up a used copy of ROCK N ROLL this week and I'm diggin' it. Usually I respect Malcolm Dome's opinion, but "a disaster?" "a dreadful Motorhead record?" Is there really such a thing? I like it just fine!

I have to agree and I also have sentimental reasons for liking it, when I was 18 I had this cool friend named Patrick Evans, who used to love this album, we would blast this thing and play air guitar and scream along etc, one year later on Aug 1, 1989 Patrick commited suicide, it was years before I could throw on this album, when I finally did it brought back a lot of great memories, and I wish my friend had hung in there, but I have great memories of two teenage nerds blasting Motorhead.

Years later, I named one of twins Dylan Patrick in his honor.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Motorhead - Inferno   Motorhead - Inferno Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Motorhead - Inferno
Page 1 of 1