Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Coheed & Cambria

Go down 
+15
Louder
EvyMetal
novellahub
mez
MetalRob331
TheGooch
Thrasher73
kmorg
Smindas
caniplaywithmadness?
the sentinel
GrandNational
Shiney
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Coheed & Cambria Empty
PostSubject: Coheed & Cambria   Coheed & Cambria Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 12:22 pm

What's everyone's thoughts on this band? Heard a song on the radio that sounded decent. Sort of a mixture of progressive rock and metal, with vocals that reminded me of Geddy Lee from Rush. Threw a couple of their discs on my LaLa want list and have "In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth: 3" coming.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

Coheed & Cambria Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coheed & Cambria   Coheed & Cambria Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 12:31 pm

I've only heard bits and pieces of 'em so I don't really know what to think. What little I have heard didn't inspire me to go running out to check out their material though.

On a side note, "Coheed and Cambria" sounds like a brand of cigar. Smile
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

Coheed & Cambria Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coheed & Cambria   Coheed & Cambria Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 1:22 pm

Scott...I have that disc and love it....very prog metal in some points...while not totally steering clear of some sort of alternative sound.

Their name is taken from the story cycle that their cd tell of. Asci-fi tale that will take 5 albums to tell...alot like STAR WARS the cds are being release out sequence. I believe COHEED and CAMBRIA are the 2 main story characters...

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

Coheed & Cambria Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coheed & Cambria   Coheed & Cambria Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 3:49 pm

I feel like strangling the singer the few times I've seen their videos. The singer has apparently lost his balls. At least Geddy Lee does it with conviction.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

Coheed & Cambria Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coheed & Cambria   Coheed & Cambria Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 6:07 pm

One of my students from my honors English class back in 2005 turned me on to them through a couple of cdr's and I could really care less about them. I don't dislike them, nor will I cast them carelessly aside with a demeaning moniker such as, "they're emo" or "posers" or something. It's just that, when I go to a used cd store there are dozens of cd's I want to purchase before I buy any of thier stuff. Peace.
Back to top Go down

Coheed & Cambria Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coheed & Cambria   Coheed & Cambria Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 6:12 pm

Love this band!  Yes he does sound like Geddie Lee, but he says he never even knew who Rush was until everybody compared the two vocal styles.  Their latest release is the only one I have really heard, and it is damn amazing.  
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Coheed & Cambria Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coheed & Cambria   Coheed & Cambria Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 6:28 pm

metalness wrote:
L...he does sound like Geddie Lee, but he says he never even knew who Rush was until everybody compared the two vocal styles.

What did he live under a rock for the last 20 years?

Last edited by on Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Coheed & Cambria Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coheed & Cambria   Coheed & Cambria Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 6:33 pm

[quote="ultmetal"]
metalness wrote:
L...he does sound like Geddie Lee, but he says he never even knew who Rush was until everybody compared the two vocal styles. /quote]

What did he live under a rock for the last 20 years?

My thoughts exactly. You can't be in a "prog" like band and then claim you never knew who Geddy Lee was.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Coheed & Cambria Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coheed & Cambria   Coheed & Cambria Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 6:46 pm

I don't know why he would take it as an insult. People will always compare singers to other singers. It's just the way it is. Tyler was compared to Jagger, Keiffer was compared to Tyler, etc. etc. It's a compliment to be compared to one of the greatest rock singers from the 70's,

Coheed & Cambria Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coheed & Cambria   Coheed & Cambria Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 8:26 pm

I don't think he took it as an insult.  However I agree, you're in a frikin prog band dude, know the roots of the genre.
Back to top Go down

Coheed & Cambria Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coheed & Cambria   Coheed & Cambria Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 10:01 pm

This guy sounds like Geddy Lee after inhaling a tank of helium. I cannot stand Geddy Lee's vocals, so I'm sure you know what I think of C&C. Haha. I'd label them terrible, if I had to vote. Laughing They're prog for emo kids.
Back to top Go down

Coheed & Cambria Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coheed & Cambria   Coheed & Cambria Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2007 10:08 am

Sadly I think it is one of the absolute worst bands out there. I am huge on Prog bands and whatnot but a friend introduced me to them and I have hated them ever sine.

These guys truly have a sense of Rush to them, particularly the vocals, and what is worst is they claim to never have heard of Rush before becoming popular......... give me a break!!! I think musically they cant come close to making good music compared to other prog bands. The vocals are the worst ever and sadly I think it is an insult to even think they can carry a torch to Rush. Most of my friends actually like this band, but for what ever reason, I find them to be annoying and talentless.

" They're prog for emo kids." was an excellent quote Eyesore. I also think they thrive on being that, they have no place in metal if you ask me. Not sure why I am so passionate about hating this band LOL!! Probably cause they try to act innocent of the comparisons, that was just lame.

End point is I think these guys are terrible, they lie to not be comapred, and if it takes 5 albums to make a story (which isnt good so far) then I hope they retire after that.
Back to top Go down
caniplaywithmadness?
Metal master
Metal master
caniplaywithmadness?

Number of posts : 515

Coheed & Cambria Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coheed & Cambria   Coheed & Cambria Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2007 10:26 am

they say they never heard of rush but the bassist uses a signature geddy lee jazz bass. not to mention rush are a huge band and a huge influence on every so called prog band on the face of the earth
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

Coheed & Cambria Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coheed & Cambria   Coheed & Cambria Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2007 10:43 am

You know, not everyone listens to Rush. I myself love prog but have barely been compelled to check them out - I'm sure I will at some point, but perhaps you should lay off the C&C singer.

Anyway, I like Coheed, I think they're a decent band. Nothing spectacular but their last release was highly enjoyable stuff.

Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

Coheed & Cambria Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coheed & Cambria   Coheed & Cambria Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2007 12:37 pm

I have seen loads of interviews with these guys and I never heard them say they never heard of RUSH...I did hear them say that none of them really listened to RUSH when they were younger....

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

Coheed & Cambria Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coheed & Cambria   Coheed & Cambria Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2007 12:52 pm

Had one album, and it sort of blew me away on the fisrt spins. But I could never recapture that feeling when I gave it extensive play, so I traded it away.

Coheed & Cambria Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coheed & Cambria   Coheed & Cambria Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2007 7:13 pm

Man, harsh words folks.  I think they write their music extremley well.  And they are not emo.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Coheed & Cambria Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coheed & Cambria   Coheed & Cambria Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2007 10:46 pm

I'm reserving comment until I hear them. I liked the one song I did hear.

ult

Coheed & Cambria Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coheed & Cambria   Coheed & Cambria Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2007 11:29 pm

metalness wrote:
Man, harsh words folks. I think they write their music extremley well. And they are not emo.
No, they're not emo, but they appeal to emo kids. My cousin and all his friends love this band, and they're emo! Haha.

I'd actually venture to say this band would probably be really good with a male singer. Laughing
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

Coheed & Cambria Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coheed & Cambria   Coheed & Cambria Icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2007 4:52 am

Eyesore wrote:
metalness wrote:
Man, harsh words folks. I think they write their music extremley well. And they are not emo.
No, they're not emo, but they appeal to emo kids. My cousin and all his friends love this band, and they're emo! Haha.

I'd actually venture to say this band would probably be really good with a male singer. Laughing

lol!

Coheed & Cambria Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coheed & Cambria   Coheed & Cambria Icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2007 10:13 am

Eyesore wrote:
metalness wrote:

No comment
Back to top Go down

Coheed & Cambria Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coheed & Cambria   Coheed & Cambria Icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2007 12:44 pm

metalness wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
metalness wrote:

No comment
Chicken.

EDIT: Emo chicken.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Coheed & Cambria Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coheed & Cambria   Coheed & Cambria Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2007 7:13 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I've only heard bits and pieces of 'em so I don't really know what to think. What little I have heard didn't inspire me to go running out to check out their material though.

On a side note, "Coheed and Cambria" sounds like a brand of cigar. Smile

I bet you're probably thinking about the "Cohiba" brand of cigars.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

Coheed & Cambria Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coheed & Cambria   Coheed & Cambria Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2007 8:41 am

I like what few songs I've heard from them.I dont think its something I would enjoy over and over but every once in a while its not bad.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Coheed & Cambria Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coheed & Cambria   Coheed & Cambria Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2007 3:11 pm

I've listened to "In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth 3" 2x today. I like it. It's not something that blew me away or something that will ever become a favorite, but I thought it was an interesting listen. I sort of like the vocals, but then I tend to like odd vocals. (Nitro anyone?) The music is a mixture of old and new. It's NOT metal by any stretch of the imagination. Sometimes the music has a punk quality to it, even though the songwriting is a mixture of progressive rock and pop rock.

The Rush comparisons are somewhat true. Indeed the vocals have a similar quality as Rush's Geddy Lee. Also, have you ever heard another concept album about a post-apocalyptic killer? "2112" anyone? However, the music isn't really like Rush. C&C use a lot of modern guitar riffs that I would describe as up/down strumming, as opposed to the stacatto style riffing of most metal bands.

Last edited by on Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Coheed & Cambria Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coheed & Cambria   Coheed & Cambria Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Coheed & Cambria
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next