Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Songs that sound out of place on albums?

Go down 
+30
MEGATRON
ProgDoom
HamburgerBoy
jettafiend
Wayne
Nico
kmorg
metalinmyveins
shamgar75
arachnoplasma
Required Fields
exact33
metalhead777
Vexer6
Temple of Blood
GrandNational
thejokeriv
jstate
mlotek
MetalGuy71
manny
ultmetal
Leatherface
INVADERS
Tur-Thalion
Approval Guy
tohostudios
Fat Freddy
chewie
Hadley
34 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Wayne
Metal student
Metal student
Wayne

Number of posts : 169

Songs that sound out of place on albums? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Songs that sound out of place on albums?   Songs that sound out of place on albums? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2011 4:24 am

The one stand out for me which I see hasn't been mentioned is wasting love by iron maiden.

Now I don't hate the song, actually quite like it and think bruce sounds superb on it but to me it stands out like a sore thumb. Fear of the dark is one of my favourite maiden albums. It was the first album that was released after I discovered the band so it was the first one I bought that was still in the charts. Just always wondered why maiden even wrote a song like wasting love and thought it would have been far better used as a bonus track on a single release.
Back to top Go down
arachnoplasma
Metal student
Metal student
arachnoplasma

Number of posts : 244

PostSubject: Re: Songs that sound out of place on albums?   Songs that sound out of place on albums? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2011 5:32 am

Wayne wrote:
The one stand out for me which I see hasn't been mentioned is wasting love by iron maiden.

Now I don't hate the song, actually quite like it and think bruce sounds superb on it but to me it stands out like a sore thumb. Fear of the dark is one of my favourite maiden albums. It was the first album that was released after I discovered the band so it was the first one I bought that was still in the charts. Just always wondered why maiden even wrote a song like wasting love and thought it would have been far better used as a bonus track on a single release.

Strangely, I used to hate that song for the longest. Now I really like it and it's one of my favorites off of Fear of the Dark (likewise an album I used to dump on, but now I find myself spinning more often now when the "classics" have been overplayed). Go figure. I agree it's kind of an odd duck in their discography, I think it's really the only straight-up "power ballad" Maiden has ever done and rather commercial (if it had been released a few years earlier, it probably would have been a hit), so I get why some fans might have mixed feelings about it, but I dig it. Fear of the Dark has always struck me as a mish-mash of different ideas, so "Wasting Love" fits in with the quirkiness of the whole thing.

Now, "Quest for Fire" on the other hand... the only song off of Piece of Mind - actually, probably Maiden's entire '80s output - that I'll skip every time. And I'm one of those annoying Maiden fan-boys who more or less likes everything to some degree and who everyone else likes to make fun of, so that's saying something.
Back to top Go down
arachnoplasma
Metal student
Metal student
arachnoplasma

PostSubject: Re: Songs that sound out of place on albums?   Songs that sound out of place on albums? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2011 5:42 am

kmorg wrote:
arachnoplasma wrote:
exact33 wrote:
Vexer6 wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
manny wrote:
'He's Back (The Man behind the Mask' belonged on the cutting room floor not as the last song on 'Constrictor' by Alice.

Yeah, that song is horrible.
I quite enjoy that song actually.

I enjoy that Alice song as well.

I should probably feel a bit ashamed, but that was the song that turned me onto Alice Cooper when I was a kid because it was used in Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives, and I was a big fan of the movies growing up. I went out and bought Constrictor used a week later. Yeah, it's a corny tune, but nostalgia wins out this time. Razz Hey I was 12 years old....

Nothing to be ashamed about! I have a smilar story. Very Happy I still like the song, and the movie!

Yay! That's four of us then in the whole world. Laughing cheers
Back to top Go down
Wayne
Metal student
Metal student
Wayne

Number of posts : 169

PostSubject: Re: Songs that sound out of place on albums?   Songs that sound out of place on albums? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2011 6:39 am

arachnoplasma wrote:
Wayne wrote:

Strangely, I used to hate that song for the longest. Now I really like it and it's one of my favorites off of Fear of the Dark (likewise an album I used to dump on, but now I find myself spinning more often now when the "classics" have been overplayed). Go figure. I agree it's kind of an odd duck in their discography, I think it's really the only straight-up "power ballad" Maiden has ever done and rather commercial (if it had been released a few years earlier, it probably would have been a hit), so I get why some fans might have mixed feelings about it, but I dig it. Fear of the Dark has always struck me as a mish-mash of different ideas, so "Wasting Love" fits in with the quirkiness of the whole thing.

Now, "Quest for Fire" on the other hand... the only song off of Piece of Mind - actually, probably Maiden's entire '80s output - that I'll skip every time. And I'm one of those annoying Maiden fan-boys who more or less likes everything to some degree and who everyone else likes to make fun of, so that's saying something.

Lol, I actually like quest for fire. Maiden are far and away my favourite band simply because they have never released a duff album or any really bad tracks in my eyes. I'm sure some will disagree but that's how I feel.

Now, having said that, for some reason I have never liked the song gangland. Can't really explain it but I think it sounds rubbish and doesn't deserve to be on a fantastic album like number of the beast. It's the only song I've never liked by them and I've tried to give it a fair crack over the years but just can't get to like it.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Songs that sound out of place on albums?   Songs that sound out of place on albums? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2011 11:20 am

Wayne wrote:

I've always liked that song too. It never bothered me on the album. I just assumed it was probably pressure from the record label to record a "power ballad", which were all the rage at the time, in hopes of some radio airplay.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Songs that sound out of place on albums?   Songs that sound out of place on albums? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2011 12:07 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Wayne wrote:

I've always liked that song too. It never bothered me on the album. I just assumed it was probably pressure from the record label to record a "power ballad", which were all the rage at the time, in hopes of some radio airplay.

Actually, they just wanted to write a ballad. After TNOTB, Maiden had no pressure from the record company. The record company just releases what is given to them by Maiden. So, any bad songs, mistakes is all on Maiden.
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: Songs that sound out of place on albums?   Songs that sound out of place on albums? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2011 3:33 pm

I thought that "My Sharona" was a really odd choice for HammerFall to cover on their No Sacrifice, No Victory album.

The other choice for songs that don't fit is "Johnny B. Goode" by Judas Priest on their Ram it Down album. Poor choice for a cover in general by these guys.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Songs that sound out of place on albums?   Songs that sound out of place on albums? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2011 3:50 pm

jettafiend wrote:
I thought that "My Sharona" was a really odd choice for HammerFall to cover on their No Sacrifice, No Victory album.

The other choice for songs that don't fit is "Johnny B. Goode" by Judas Priest on their Ram it Down album. Poor choice for a cover in general by these guys.

My Sharona is a weird choice for any metal band to cover, yet many have.

Johnny B. Goode should not have been included on Ram It Down. It was a movie soundtrack song and should have been left as such.

Metal novice
Metal novice
HamburgerBoy

Number of posts : 55

PostSubject: Re: Songs that sound out of place on albums?   Songs that sound out of place on albums? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 9:29 am

Exodus' cover of the Rolling Stone's Bitch. Force of Habit has a bunch of songs that are a bit odd for Exodus, but a poppy rock cover with horns present is just too much.
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

PostSubject: Re: Songs that sound out of place on albums?   Songs that sound out of place on albums? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 5:43 pm

ultmetal wrote:
jettafiend wrote:

My Sharona is a weird choice for any metal band to cover, yet many have.

Johnny B. Goode should not have been included on Ram It Down. It was a movie soundtrack song and should have been left as such.

I did not know that about Judas Priest. It makes sense tho. The other cover that I really do not like is "Helter Skelter" by Motley Crue. That songs whole vibe just does not match up with their style at all, and completely clashes with the whole album.
Back to top Go down
arachnoplasma
Metal student
Metal student
arachnoplasma

PostSubject: Re: Songs that sound out of place on albums?   Songs that sound out of place on albums? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 7:08 pm

I generally don't like cover songs on albums. Unless they're reinvented, they usually stick out like a sore thumb and it's hard to not compare them to the original versions. I usually skip over them. I'd rather have an album full of original material. Save the covers for EPs / B-sides / live albums / bonus tracks / etc.

With that said, "Diamonds and Rust," "Better By You, Better Than Me" and "The Green Manalishi" are all ok by me on their original Priest albums and I liked Anthrax's cover of "Got the Time," so there are exceptions of course.
Back to top Go down
ProgDoom
Metal novice
Metal novice
ProgDoom

Number of posts : 33

PostSubject: Re: Songs that sound out of place on albums?   Songs that sound out of place on albums? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 9:37 pm

"Second Coming" on Love It To Death. I love the song, but it doesn't sound like any others on the album.
Back to top Go down
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

PostSubject: Re: Songs that sound out of place on albums?   Songs that sound out of place on albums? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 21, 2011 10:36 am

jettafiend wrote:
The other cover that I really do not like is "Helter Skelter" by Motley Crue. That songs whole vibe just does not match up with their style at all, and completely clashes with the whole album.

Yes, maybe the first thing anyone buys it is thinking "Why is this on here?"
It took a few spins befiore I liked their version, but only after I was getting bored from listening to the rest of the album.
They used to play it live in concert too I think?
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

PostSubject: Re: Songs that sound out of place on albums?   Songs that sound out of place on albums? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 12:42 pm

mlotek wrote:
jettafiend wrote:
The other cover that I really do not like is "Helter Skelter" by Motley Crue. That songs whole vibe just does not match up with their style at all, and completely clashes with the whole album.

Yes, maybe the first thing anyone buys it is thinking "Why is this on here?"
It took a few spins befiore I liked their version, but only after I was getting bored from listening to the rest of the album.
They used to play it live in concert too I think?

It is included on their latest DVD as part of the set list (Sorry, I can't remember the name off the top of my head). I like the whole album but as far as Shout is concerned, I think that song is a sore thumb. If they had done an E.P. with it, I think that would have been a better route to go.
Back to top Go down
MEGATRON
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
MEGATRON

Number of posts : 364

PostSubject: Re: Songs that sound out of place on albums?   Songs that sound out of place on albums? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 28, 2011 3:30 am

manny wrote:
'He's Back (The Man behind the Mask)' belonged on the cutting room floor not as the last song on 'Constrictor' by Alice.

Funny. I feel that way about the entire album... silent
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Songs that sound out of place on albums?   Songs that sound out of place on albums? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 28, 2011 7:08 am

"Stress" off of Believer's debut. I like the songs, but it doesn't really fit on the album.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: Songs that sound out of place on albums?   Songs that sound out of place on albums? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 28, 2011 7:15 am

MEGATRON wrote:
manny wrote:
'He's Back (The Man behind the Mask)' belonged on the cutting room floor not as the last song on 'Constrictor' by Alice.

Yeah, keep the song and ditch the album - that's what I did Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: Songs that sound out of place on albums?   Songs that sound out of place on albums? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 28, 2011 7:17 am

On topic, I always skip I Want You (She's So Heavy) on CORONER's Mental Vortex. Beatles cover or not, it just doesn't belong there.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Songs that sound out of place on albums?   Songs that sound out of place on albums? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 28, 2011 7:20 am

kmorg wrote:
"Stress" off of Believer's debut. I like the songs, but it doesn't really fit on the album.

Well, it helps that it's at the very end...
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Songs that sound out of place on albums?   Songs that sound out of place on albums? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 28, 2011 7:25 am

Troublezone wrote:
kmorg wrote:

Well, it helps that it's at the very end...

Agreed.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Songs that sound out of place on albums?   Songs that sound out of place on albums? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 28, 2011 7:31 am

Sacred Reich (31 flavors)

I like the song but I think it should have been on something like the Surf Nicaragua EP.
Back to top Go down
WhenTheWildWindBlows
Metal novice
Metal novice
WhenTheWildWindBlows

Number of posts : 24

PostSubject: Re: Songs that sound out of place on albums?   Songs that sound out of place on albums? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 1:12 am

Sacred Rite has a couple the songs White Boy on their S/T and Cold Hearted Girl on the Is Nothing Sacred LP. rooster rock type songs that have no place being on otherwise stellar heavy metal albums.

Back to top Go down
holydiver97595
The Prophet of Dio
holydiver97595

Number of posts : 1348

PostSubject: Re: Songs that sound out of place on albums?   Songs that sound out of place on albums? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2011 12:08 pm

Wild One off of Lock Up The Wolves by Dio. It sounds nothing like the rest of the album, and sadly, it's the only song people remember most of the time Razz
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/demonousmetal
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

PostSubject: Re: Songs that sound out of place on albums?   Songs that sound out of place on albums? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2011 10:31 pm

WhenTheWildWindBlows wrote:
Sacred Rite has a couple the songs White Boy on their S/T and Cold Hearted Girl on the Is Nothing Sacred LP. rooster rock type songs that have no place being on otherwise stellar heavy metal albums.

Rooster rock? Well, thats a new genre to me. Guess those bands must be really "cocky" huh? Laughing
Back to top Go down
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

PostSubject: Re: Songs that sound out of place on albums?   Songs that sound out of place on albums? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 10:35 am

stormspell wrote:
MEGATRON wrote:
manny wrote:

Yeah, keep the song and ditch the album - that's what I did Smile

I remember buying the 7" single becuase it was his comeback and being a little disappointed but liked it since I was a fan of his early 1980s sort-of new wave style.
BUT now became angry once I heard the demo version from hos box set Life & Crimes, because it's heavier and sounds like what all of us expect of Alice.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Songs that sound out of place on albums?   Songs that sound out of place on albums? - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Songs that sound out of place on albums?
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3