Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Early Prog

Go down 
+8
Wurthless
EvyMetal
arachnoplasma
TheDoctor'sScarf
kmorg
Schbopo
SAHB Healer
chewie
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

Early Prog - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Early Prog   Early Prog - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 11:53 am

I put Journey's first three albums in this category:

Of A Lifetime:

Kohoutek:

Kohoutek LIVE!:

Look Into The Future:

I'm Gonna Leave You:

Spaceman:

People:

Nickel & Dime:

Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

PostSubject: Re: Early Prog   Early Prog - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2011 9:36 am

Man, Neal Schon is just a bad-ass guitarist, and I would rather listen to Rollie's vocals over Perry's any day of the week.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Early Prog   Early Prog - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 1:09 pm

Some of those Journey songs sound pretty sweet. If I'm in the right mood, I could go for something like that.

It's their first 3 that are more "prog-oriented" correct? I'm not interested in the radio hits stuff with Steve Perry. Looks like they're fairly inexpensive too. Are there re-issues with bonus tracks or any additional stuff?

Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Early Prog   Early Prog - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 5:57 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Some of those Journey songs sound pretty sweet. If I'm in the right mood, I could go for something like that.

It's their first 3 that are more "prog-oriented" correct? I'm not interested in the radio hits stuff with Steve Perry. Looks like they're fairly inexpensive too. Are there re-issues with bonus tracks or any additional stuff?

Yes, the first three are the ones you want fro prog and you can find them for about under 7 dollars each(gohastings has Future new for $2.90 plus S&H).

No, They don't bother with re-issuing Journey, Look Into The Future and Next. It's just as well, they would probably become victims of the LOUDNESS WARS. There is a track called Cookie Duster that is on the Time 3 boxset that should have been on Next but was left off.... It's an Instrumental Fusion track. Charge Of The Light Brigade is a bootleg album from 1973 with Praire Prince(from The Tubes) on drums.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Early Prog   Early Prog - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 7:32 pm

Cookie Duster:
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Early Prog   Early Prog - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 09, 2011 2:53 pm

WOW!!! This turned into a HUGE Post!
STRAWBS
Dave Cousins is a GREAT lyricist. This band went from a Folk band to a full on Rock/Progressive Rock band

Sandy Denny was in this band before she joined Fairport Convention.
All Our Own Work (1967 also realeased as "Sandy Denny and the Strawbs", recorded in Denmark, released 1973):
Tell Me What You See In Me

Strawbs(1969):
The Battle

Dragonfly(1970):
Dragonfly

I Turned My Face Into The Wind(weird, it cut off the last few seconds)

The Vision Of The Lady In The Lake

Just a Collection of Antiques and Curios(1970):
Where Is This Dream Of Your Youth?(Cool Rick Wakeman solo)

The Antique Suite

From the Witchwood(1971):
A Glimpse Of Heaven

Witchwood

In Amongst The Roses

Flight

The Hangman and The Papist

Grave New World(1972):
Benedictus

Tomorrow(This song was aimed at Rick Wakeman, He left and the end of the tour for the Witchwood album to join some other band.)

Queen Of Dreams

Heavy Disguise(John Ford, bassist, on lead vocals)

New World(probably my favorite song off of this album. Freakin' EXCELLENT mellotron on this song by Blue Weaver from Amen Corner and future Disco Bee Gees keysman.Talk about DOOM!!!!)

Two Weeks Last Summer(1972):
Surrounding himself with rock musicians, including Dave Lambert who would shortly join the band, and some really big names from the rock world such as Roger Glover from Deep Purple
and Jon Hiseman from Colosseum, he made an album which easily stands alongside the pick of the Strawbs' releases.(courtesy Dick Greener)
Dave Cousins (vcls, gtrs, pno, "tinklies")
Dave Lambert (gtrs, vcls)
Miller Anderson (ld gtrs, slide gtr)
Jon Hiseman (drms, perc)
Roger Glover (bs)
Tom Allom, Rick Wakeman (kybds)
Dave Lambert, Tom Allom, Tom Newman (bck vcls)
Blue Angel

Bursting at the Seams(1973):Bursting at the Seams(1973):
Tears And Pavan(Ignore the wrong album cover in the video! More Mellotron by Blue!)

Lay Down

Down By The Sea

Band falls apart with only Dave Cousins and Dave Lambert remaining and then reforms with Rod Coombes(From Juicy Lucy and Stealers Wheel) on Drums, John Hawken(From Nashville Teens and original Renaissance line-up) on Keys and Chas Cronk on Bass
Hero and Heroine(1974)(This is the first album I bought by them and played it to death in the late '90s-early '00s):
Autumn

Sad Young Man

Hero and Heroine/Midnight Sun

Round & Round

Ghosts(1974):
Ghosts

The Life Auction

Nomadness(1975):
To Be Free

Hanging In The Gallery

The Promised Land

Deep Cuts(1976):
The Soldier's Tale

Simple Visions

Beside The Rio Grande

Burning for You(1977):
The only two songs that I like on this one.
Burning For Me

Heartbreaker

Deadlines(1978):
This is a really good album.... half prog half rock!
Time And Life

Deadly Nightshade

Words Of Wisdom

Heartbreak Hill(recorded in 1978 released in 1995):
This album has three killer prog tunes with the rest being good rock tunes.
Something for Nothing

Heartbreak Hill

Starting Over
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Early Prog   Early Prog - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2011 12:58 pm

No love for the Strawbs, eh?

I know it's a long post, but any comment would be nice(ie: his voice sux, they stink, I hate folk music, I hate folkprog, nice tune, great lyrics).
Back to top Go down
metalken
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 816

PostSubject: Re: Early Prog   Early Prog - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2011 1:56 pm

chewie wrote:

I know it's a long post, but any comment would be nice(ie: his voice sux, they stink, I hate folk music, I hate folkprog, nice tune, great lyrics).

Comments : It sure sucks when you have that "completist" gene in your DNA. I think that they are a band that I could get into, but seeing as they have 20 plus studio releases, like a dozen live albums, and who knows what else; honestly I cannot afford to get to into them Razz . I honestly think my local WalMart has the 20th Century Masters disc in the rack alongside all the others, but I do not know if I want to get it for the afore mentioned condition I have.
As far as the band goes, they sure evolved their sound over the years. That stuff with Sandy Denny sounds nothing like the latter stuff that was posted. Have you heard any of their post 2000 material?

Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Early Prog   Early Prog - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2011 2:17 pm

metalken wrote:
chewie wrote:

Comments : It sure sucks when you have that "completist" gene in your DNA. I think that they are a band that I could get into, but seeing as they have 20 plus studio releases, like a dozen live albums, and who knows what else; honestly I cannot afford to get to into them Razz . I honestly think my local WalMart has the 20th Century Masters disc in the rack alongside all the others, but I do not know if I want to get it for the afore mentioned condition I have.
As far as the band goes, they sure evolved their sound over the years. That stuff with Sandy Denny sounds nothing like the latter stuff that was posted. Have you heard any of their post 2000 material?

Thanks for commenting! That second to last sentence was the the kind of comment I was looking for....... just observations.

Yeah, I hate that "completist" gene. I only have stuff up to Ringing Down The Years(1991), which I didn't post. I do have the Strawberry Sampler 1 that was re-released in 2001 from a 1969 original private release. They have four original albums and Cousins has something that he did with Wakeman since the 00's started, but I have none of them...................yet Smile

Speaking of completist, they have a recent compilation that is in a US and UK version. Of course, the UK version has a track that was split over two b-sides in the 70's. I'm gonna have to get the UK version.

Isn't it wild how a band can progress over many years from where it originally started?
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Early Prog   Early Prog - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 1:47 pm

Gracious!

Super Nova
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Early Prog   Early Prog - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 9:34 am

Ahhhhhh, prog! Cool
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Early Prog   Early Prog - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 10:05 pm

I don't know the genre well enough to really know where Psyche ends and Prog begins, but these two have been doing it for me lately.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Early Prog   Early Prog - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Early Prog
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2