Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

what was the first artist you really became a fan of?

Go down 
+40
arachnoplasma
jettafiend
TheDoctor'sScarf
Joe
Mglaffas81
shamgar75
holydiver97595
scottmitchell74
Portharbor
Highway Star
DeathCult
jstate
Leatherface
Doomdance
chewie
snooloui
stepcousin
The_Jayroh
MetalGuy71
Jesusandmetal23
Stender
adrian
Troublezone
Addy
bassman
Schbopo
James B.
Fat Freddy
redbroyer
Olafsto
Tur-Thalion
QuothTheRaven
tohostudios
kmorg
Wurthless
mc666
exact33
manny
Metallic Blaze
44 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Jesusandmetal23
If it jams it jams
Jesusandmetal23

Number of posts : 1023

what was the first artist you really became a fan of?  - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: what was the first artist you really became a fan of?    what was the first artist you really became a fan of?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2011 5:32 am

jstate wrote:
All started with Ozzie. Heard Flyin High Again on a K-tel comp and that's pretty much where my music fandom began.

Yeah I remember being completely obsessed with Ozzy and Sabbath around 4th grade. So obsessed that I got sick of it and became a classical nut.
Back to top Go down
holydiver97595
The Prophet of Dio
holydiver97595

Number of posts : 1348

PostSubject: Re: what was the first artist you really became a fan of?    what was the first artist you really became a fan of?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 06, 2011 1:04 am

The Beatles, then Queen. I had a good start. Then I started getting into Deep Purple, Yes, Rush, Zeppelin, and other hard/progressive rock stuff because of my dad, and here we are today! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/demonousmetal
shamgar75
Metal master
Metal master
shamgar75

Number of posts : 683

PostSubject: Re: what was the first artist you really became a fan of?    what was the first artist you really became a fan of?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 06, 2011 11:11 pm

I grew up in a christian home (Still am a Christian and proud of it), where I listened to oldies, meaning the 60's, Amy Grant, Michael W. Smith, Benny Hester, and salsa music.

For me it was Petra. The first album I got was NOT OF THIS WORLD, which I still love to this day.

For secular music, it probably was Iron Maiden. My friend let me borrow his SOMEWHERE IN TIME CD. I was hooked immediately. Loved it.

Then it was Intense Record's Hot Metal IV video which introduced me to Tamplin, Angelica, Deliverance, Ransom, Tourniquet, and Vengeance Rising. That started my path into what I listen to today.
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

PostSubject: Re: what was the first artist you really became a fan of?    what was the first artist you really became a fan of?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2011 8:11 am

Meatloaf - A friend played the Bat Out Of Hel album on his discman (remember those?) on schooltrip with our school in Slovenia when I was about 8 years old - I was simply amazed by the music, especially the title track - Everytime I hear that brilliant guitar lead after the intro, I get goosebumps - I'm still a fan to this day, though I only consider the Steinman albums to be "real" Meatloaf.

He also had an old madonna cd with him, and we enjoyed that as well Laughing
Back to top Go down
Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

PostSubject: Re: what was the first artist you really became a fan of?    what was the first artist you really became a fan of?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2011 11:25 am

It wasn't a metal band that's for sure. It was Michael Jackson. There goes all me cred! haha

The first song of his I really dug, was "Beat it." However, what really grabbed me about it was the guitar playing, and the solo by Eddie Van Halen. So, I already had a liking for the "sound." I picked up THRILLER on cassette, and my mom had OFF THE WALL which I snagged from her. I couldn't do the moonwalk worth a damn, though! Razz I also got into Van Halen for the reason stated earlier.
Back to top Go down
TheDoctor'sScarf
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 492

PostSubject: Re: what was the first artist you really became a fan of?    what was the first artist you really became a fan of?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2011 11:30 am

Marvin Gaye as a child, because my mom played one of his greatest hits CDs during car rides for many years. It conjures up nothing but the fondest of memories to this very day, and it still manages to put a smile on my face whenever I hear his music...

The first band I became truly obsessed with was definitely BLACK SABBATH: my mother was driving me to either fifth or sixth grade one morning, and knowing that I had recently taken an interest in heavier stuff like Maiden and Metallica, held up an old cassette of Paranoid. All I know is that I saw some guy holding a shield and wielding a sword, and this struck me immediately as something incredible, because I'd always loved the Zelda games and fantasy. So, she put it on, and that's all I could think about from that moment on.

I think I might have failed every test in school that day.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: what was the first artist you really became a fan of?    what was the first artist you really became a fan of?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2011 11:40 am

TheDoctor'sScarf wrote:
Marvin Gaye as a child, because my mom played one of his greatest hits CDs during car rides for many years. It conjures up nothing but the fondest of memories to this very day, and it still manages to put a smile on my face whenever I hear his music...

The first band I became truly obsessed with was definitely BLACK SABBATH: my mother was driving me to either fifth or sixth grade one morning, and knowing that I had recently taken an interest in heavier stuff like Maiden and Metallica, held up an old cassette of Paranoid. All I know is that I saw some guy holding a shield and wielding a sword, and this struck me immediately as something incredible, because I'd always loved the Zelda games and fantasy. So, she put it on, and that's all I could think about from that moment on.

I think I might have failed every test in school that day.

Your mom sounds like a cool lady, introducing her son to Black Sabbath, does not get any cooler then that.
Back to top Go down
TheDoctor'sScarf
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 492

PostSubject: Re: what was the first artist you really became a fan of?    what was the first artist you really became a fan of?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2011 11:48 am

She also likes Priest, Nazareth, BOC, and Zeppelin!

Yup, she's the best mom! I owe a lot to her.
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: what was the first artist you really became a fan of?    what was the first artist you really became a fan of?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2011 7:01 pm

I remember riding around with my uncle When I was in 6th grade listening to Poison - Flesh and Blood, Shortly thereafter a friend of mine from down the street let me borrow his copy of "To Hell with the Devil." I heard Petra very soon after and "Beyond Belief" was the first album that I ever bought. To this day I still cannot stand Nirvana, even tho they exploded that summer.

Poison, Stryper and Petra were the first bands that I fell in love with. The second 2 still see regular play time in my Van. sad to say that while I still enjoy Poison, they have not weathered the times as well.

Last edited by jettafiend on Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
arachnoplasma
Metal student
Metal student
arachnoplasma

Number of posts : 244

PostSubject: Re: what was the first artist you really became a fan of?    what was the first artist you really became a fan of?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2011 7:46 pm

I think the first band I remember really loving was Scorpions when I was a little kid. I saw the video for "Rock You Like a Hurricane" and later my older sister gave me a copy of Love at First Sting on cassette. That was pretty much what started my love for metal in retrospect. I was pretty fortunate to have a family that was into a lot of different music, hard rock and metal included.

TheDoctor'sScarf wrote:

My mom liked / still likes Maiden, Priest, Dio, Queen, etc, and I inherited her Zeppelin vinyls. Hail to heavy metal moms! \m/
Back to top Go down
holydiver97595
The Prophet of Dio
holydiver97595

PostSubject: Re: what was the first artist you really became a fan of?    what was the first artist you really became a fan of?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2011 8:17 pm

arachnoplasma wrote:
I think the first band I remember really loving was Scorpions when I was a little kid. I saw the video for "Rock You Like a Hurricane" and later my older sister gave me a copy of Love at First Sting on cassette. That was pretty much what started my love for metal in retrospect. I was pretty fortunate to have a family that was into a lot of different music, hard rock and metal included.

TheDoctor'sScarf wrote:

My mom liked / still likes Maiden, Priest, Dio, Queen, etc, and I inherited her Zeppelin vinyls. Hail to heavy metal moms! \m/

I don't have a metal mom, but my dad is pretty metal. He's got Sabbath, Zeppelin, Zappa, UFO, and a whole bunch of other great vinyls. I was raised well!
Back to top Go down
325ad
Metal master
Metal master
325ad

Number of posts : 532

PostSubject: Re: what was the first artist you really became a fan of?    what was the first artist you really became a fan of?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 28, 2011 1:59 pm

The first I can remember were J Giles and AC/DC.
Back to top Go down
HeartsOfMetal
Metal novice
Metal novice
HeartsOfMetal

Number of posts : 4

PostSubject: Re: what was the first artist you really became a fan of?    what was the first artist you really became a fan of?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 7:11 pm

Elvis Presley 1964...
Johnny Cash 1965...
Marty Robbins 1966...
The Beatles 1968...
Black Sabbath 1969...
And then the music world forever changed for me and I have been on a quest for Metal since...
And yeah...I am an old Smurf!

Back to top Go down
http://www.reverbnation.com/heartsofmetal
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: what was the first artist you really became a fan of?    what was the first artist you really became a fan of?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 10:30 pm

HeartsOfMetal wrote:
Elvis Presley 1964...
Johnny Cash 1965...
Marty Robbins 1966...
The Beatles 1968...
Black Sabbath 1969...
And then the music world forever changed for me and I have been on a quest for Metal since...
And yeah...I am an old Smurf!

Johnny Cash rocks!!

HeartsOfMetal
Metal novice
Metal novice
HeartsOfMetal

Number of posts : 4

PostSubject: Re: what was the first artist you really became a fan of?    what was the first artist you really became a fan of?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2011 12:54 am

Yeah he did. 'Ring of Fire' always has been my fav of his. So complex, yet simple...He was Metal and didn't even know it!
Back to top Go down
http://www.reverbnation.com/heartsofmetal
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: what was the first artist you really became a fan of?    what was the first artist you really became a fan of?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2011 9:11 pm

It was KISS. My neighbors who were a little older than me were huge fans and when I heard the band I was hooked.
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: what was the first artist you really became a fan of?    what was the first artist you really became a fan of?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2011 9:51 pm

I would say the first 2 artists I became a fan of were Metallica and Iron Maiden.

This was back in the early 90s.

I got into both bands around the same time as I received albums by both as a gift from family.
Back to top Go down
The_Jayroh
Metal master
Metal master
The_Jayroh

Number of posts : 823

PostSubject: Re: what was the first artist you really became a fan of?    what was the first artist you really became a fan of?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2011 3:26 am

The first band for me was Disturbed......
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1009170115&sk=info
holydiver97595
The Prophet of Dio
holydiver97595

PostSubject: Re: what was the first artist you really became a fan of?    what was the first artist you really became a fan of?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2011 8:44 pm

The_Jayroh wrote:
The first band for me was Disturbed......

Disturbed was one of my transition bands into metal, and being in a band with guys that love Disturbed, I've grown to appreciate them again.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: what was the first artist you really became a fan of?    what was the first artist you really became a fan of?  - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

what was the first artist you really became a fan of?
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3