Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

NLTM July '11 Update

Go down 
+14
JBall_Z
manny
TheGreatDuck
Smindas
kmorg
Eyesore
chewie
Gilbert
fingers
Tur-Thalion
GrandNational
Required Fields
SpectreFate
ultmetal
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

NLTM July '11 Update - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NLTM July '11 Update   NLTM July '11 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 1:45 pm

Vexer6 wrote:
Sorry you didn't like Blue Tears much, guess sending you that one wasn't such a great idea lol!

It's very Def Leppard/Hysteria-ish. The recording is over-polished, sterile and digital. The lyrics are so cheesy and obviously written to "score some chicks". The vocalist is quite good. I guess I get pretty harsh on the 80's pop stuff. If the guitars had some grit to 'em and the overall sound was a bit more hard rock, it would have been a much better album IMO and the cheesy lyrics would be easily overlooked. I mean, rock and roll ain't rocket science, but the recording strips the rock and roll right out of the band and reduces them to an 80's pop band.

Last edited by ultmetal on Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: NLTM July '11 Update   NLTM July '11 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 1:49 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Vexer6 wrote:
Sorry you didn't like Blue Tears much, guess sending you that one wasn't such a great idea lol!

It's very Def Leppard/Hysteria-ish. The recording is over-polished, sterile and digital. The lyrics are so cheesy and obviously written to "score some chicks". The vocalist is quite good. I guess I get pretty harsh on the 80's pop stuff. If the guitars had some grit to 'em and the overall sound was a bit more hard rock, it would have been a much better album IMO and the cheesy lyrics would be easily overlooked. I mean, rock and roll ain't rocket science, but the recording strips the rock and roll right out of the band and reduces them an 80's pop band.
The difference being that Blue Tears was never more than decent, while Hysteria is FRICKIN' BRILLIANT, you sonofabitch!
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: NLTM July '11 Update   NLTM July '11 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 2:13 pm

There we go, I was waiting for that response from Ken.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: NLTM July '11 Update   NLTM July '11 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 2:38 pm

I didn't mind the lyrics that much actually, they sound pretty good when you compare them to the absolutley banal lyrics in most of today's popular music(Maroon 5 "She Will Be Loved" easily takes the cake for WORST lyrics of all time) I can understand your complaints about the recording being overly digital, though I personally dug the sound. I heard the bands follow-up albums "Innocent Ones" and "Mad, Bad and Dangerous" were less commercial then the debut, but unfortuantely I wasn't able to find those albums anywhere for a decent price. Gregg Wilkerson was definitely a phenomenal vocalist, so I was crushed when he died last year Sad
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: NLTM July '11 Update   NLTM July '11 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 3:37 pm

Vexer6 wrote:
Gregg Wilkerson was definitely a phenomenal vocalist, so I was crushed when he died last year Sad

I saw that when doing research on the band. That's a bummer. He was definitely a good vocalist. I'm pretty sure I noted that in my review.

PostSubject: Re: NLTM July '11 Update   NLTM July '11 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 4:01 pm

Hysteria is "frickin' brilliant MARKETING", the music is banal and ultimately forgettable, like most all pop-metal.

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: NLTM July '11 Update   NLTM July '11 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 4:35 pm

Shawn D. wrote:
Hysteria is "frickin' brilliant MARKETING", the music is banal and ultimately forgettable, like most all pop-metal.
Wrong.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NLTM July '11 Update   NLTM July '11 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 4:38 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Shawn D. wrote:
Wrong.

Your opinion. The above is my opinion. Neither right nor wrong.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: NLTM July '11 Update   NLTM July '11 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 4:44 pm

Shawn D. wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Shawn D. wrote:
Wrong.
But where was this brilliant marketing that went on? The album sold moderately well after two singles and only blew up after the third single. Doesn't sound like brilliant marketing to me, just persistence paying off.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NLTM July '11 Update   NLTM July '11 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 4:47 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Shawn D. wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Shawn D. wrote:
Wrong.
But where was this brilliant marketing that went on? The album sold moderately well after two singles and only blew up after the third single. Doesn't sound like brilliant marketing to me, just persistence paying off.

moronic public comes into play there.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: NLTM July '11 Update   NLTM July '11 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 4:54 pm

Hey hey now, fight nice! NLTM July '11 Update - Page 2 12087

While I don't care for the recording, I can certainly see the mass appeal. It's hooky pop for sure.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: NLTM July '11 Update   NLTM July '11 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 4:58 pm

Shawn D. wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Shawn D. wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Shawn D. wrote:
Wrong.
moronic public comes into play there.
Ah, you've got all angles covered then.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NLTM July '11 Update   NLTM July '11 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 5:00 pm

Like I said, it's my opinion, I have the right to have it and you have the right to disagree with it.

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: NLTM July '11 Update   NLTM July '11 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 5:49 pm

Shawn D. wrote:
Like I said, it's my opinion, I have the right to have it and you have the right to disagree with it.

Very true you have a right to your opinion, even if its WRONG!!!! Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NLTM July '11 Update   NLTM July '11 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 6:25 pm

It's cool, you guys can keep on jamming to music aimed and marketed at 12-17 year old girls, doesn't bother me any.
lol!
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: NLTM July '11 Update   NLTM July '11 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 6:42 pm

Shawn D. wrote:
It's cool, you guys can keep on jamming to music aimed and marketed at 12-17 year old girls, doesn't bother me any.
lol!
I know it's wrong, but I just can't quit Danger Danger Sad

PostSubject: Re: NLTM July '11 Update   NLTM July '11 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 6:59 pm

I still like Dokken, so we're even.
Back to top Go down
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

PostSubject: Re: NLTM July '11 Update   NLTM July '11 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 7:29 pm

ultmetal wrote:

TheGreatDuck wrote:
Nice to see some Styx there, btw.

You can thank our own Vexer6 for that. He hooked me up with Killroy Was Here, so then I had to get Grand Illusion.

Get "Equinox" and "Pieces of Eight" next, probably their best albums.BTW, I kinda got the impression you disliked Styx from the review of Nocturnal Rites' Grand Illusion.
I'd also recommend the British band Magnum, awesome prog/melodic hard rock .Get their first five or six albums (On A Storyteller's Night is considered by most to be their best album).
Back to top Go down
Tur-Thalion
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Tur-Thalion

Number of posts : 350

PostSubject: Re: NLTM July '11 Update   NLTM July '11 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 7:38 pm

Hey Ult, have you ever considered picking up some Porcupine Tree?
Back to top Go down
Tur-Thalion
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Tur-Thalion

PostSubject: Re: NLTM July '11 Update   NLTM July '11 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 7:50 pm

After all this Blue Tears talk I decided to read the review and noticed a typo:

2nd paragraph, 3rd line, change "is the obligatory ballads" to "are ...." Next sentence, after "Halfway to Heaven" eliminate the comma and put "is." A few lines later change "if that's not enough for your" to "... you."

Love your review of Blue Tears. I was cracking up quite a bit.

Also, just reading some Nazareth reviews now:
Razamanaz review, you have "scarred parents," which you might intend on, but I was thinking maybe you meant "scared"?

Loud n Proud review, 2nd paragraph, 5th line, "'Loud 'n Proud' is most know for" change to "....known for"

News review, 1st line, delete "a" before "Nazareth."

Big Dogz review, 2nd paragraph change "Big Dog's Gonna How" to "... Howl." Change "Hair of a Dog" to "Hair of the Dog." 3rd paragraph, change "whose happily married" to "who's ..." Also as you quote some lyrics I'm not sure how to change them but "When you chasing..." is missing something, be it 're, were, are.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: NLTM July '11 Update   NLTM July '11 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 9:31 pm

TheGreatDuck wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

TheGreatDuck wrote:
Nice to see some Styx there, btw.

You can thank our own Vexer6 for that. He hooked me up with Killroy Was Here, so then I had to get Grand Illusion.

Get "Equinox" and "Pieces of Eight" next, probably their best albums.BTW, I kinda got the impression you disliked Styx from the review of Nocturnal Rites' Grand Illusion.
I'd also recommend the British band Magnum, awesome prog/melodic hard rock .Get their first five or six albums (On A Storyteller's Night is considered by most to be their best album).

Will get some more Styx eventually. I'm familiar with most of their 70's catalog, having owned it on vinyl years ago.

Tur-Thalion wrote:

I'm know the name, don't know the music.

Tur-Thalion wrote:

Love your review of Blue Tears. I was cracking up quite a bit.

Glad you like it. It's just the vibe it gave me when listening to it. Thanks for the proofing as well.

Metal master
Metal master
The_Jayroh

Number of posts : 823

PostSubject: Re: NLTM July '11 Update   NLTM July '11 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 10:47 pm

Finally. Someone who didn't think the newest Disturbed sucks
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1009170115&sk=info
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: NLTM July '11 Update   NLTM July '11 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2011 9:52 am

The_Jayroh wrote:
Finally. Someone who didn't think the newest Disturbed sucks

I don't understand why anyone who likes Disturbed in general wouldn't like their latest. It's basically more of the same.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: NLTM July '11 Update   NLTM July '11 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2011 10:38 am

You were a lot more lenient with Pantera's GSTK than I thought you would be. (considering your distaste of everything post CFH)
Back to top Go down
Tur-Thalion
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Tur-Thalion

PostSubject: Re: NLTM July '11 Update   NLTM July '11 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2011 11:48 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Tur-Thalion wrote:

I'm know the name, don't know the music.

Unfortunately I don't have a spare cd to send your way, but I think you'd like them. Their material since 2001 has been heavily infused with metal (courtesy of Opeth), and I think it's some of the best prog around these days.

Below is the album opener from their 2001 album In Absentia, "Blackest Eyes." Sweet riffs, good vocals, and overall a pretty good representation of their sound.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NLTM July '11 Update   NLTM July '11 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

NLTM July '11 Update
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next