Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Onslaught - In Search Of Sanity

Go down 
+9
skullkrusher
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
Required Fields
ultmetal
stepcousin
Joe
Witchfinder
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7627

Onslaught - In Search Of Sanity Empty
PostSubject: Onslaught - In Search Of Sanity   Onslaught - In Search Of Sanity Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 11:26 pm

New review up of this long lost and often maligned thrash album from 1989. Check it out:

http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/2011/06/reapers-onslaught.html

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

PostSubject: Re: Onslaught - In Search Of Sanity   Onslaught - In Search Of Sanity Icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2011 12:37 pm

Great review dude!

I'm sold. I never picked this up. THE FORCE and POWER FROM HELL are the the only two Onslaught albums I have.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Onslaught - In Search Of Sanity   Onslaught - In Search Of Sanity Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 8:14 pm

Metal blog of metal? that's like "music store of music" or "Italian restaurant from Italy". Laughing

I bought Onslaught's first 2 albums back in 1987, but I havent heard them in many years. I do remember The Force being one awesome album. As far as "In Search Of Sanity", I really dont understand the constant comparisons to Metallica. I mean, frankly you could compare about half the 80's metal to Metallica if you wanted to but it's like comparing every heavy metal band that ever existed to Judas Priest or Black Sabbath. Almost every band of those genres is gonna have similarities.

For me, "In Search Of Sanity" wasnt that much of a let down. 1989 was a transitional year for thrash, the old guard was changing and the newer bands werent as old school as the past ones. Metal Church put out "Blessing In Disguise", Testament released "Practice What You Preach", Anthrax's "Killer B's"and Metallica's AJFA to name a few. Noise Records was releasing a couple new brands of thrash: Power Metal and technical thrash metal and I started to go that direction. So Onslaught may have dogged a few of their die-hard fans but to me they were just progressing naturally along with many other band of the thrash genre.

Glower likes this post

Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40462

PostSubject: Re: Onslaught - In Search Of Sanity   Onslaught - In Search Of Sanity Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 8:35 pm

Love In Search Of Sanity! I have no idea what album the naysayers are listening to but this thing smokes. I guess the change turned them off (and it certainly is different from it's predecessors) but I actually prefer this to the Venom/Slayer sounds.

José Maurício likes this post

Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Onslaught - In Search Of Sanity   Onslaught - In Search Of Sanity Icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 11:49 am

stepcousin wrote:
Metal blog of metal? that's like "music store of music" or "Italian restaurant from Italy". Laughing

I bought Onslaught's first 2 albums back in 1987, but I havent heard them in many years. I do remember The Force being one awesome album. As far as "In Search Of Sanity", I really dont understand the constant comparisons to Metallica. I mean, frankly you could compare about half the 80's metal to Metallica if you wanted to but it's like comparing every heavy metal band that ever existed to Judas Priest or Black Sabbath. Almost every band of those genres is gonna have similarities.

For me, "In Search Of Sanity" wasnt that much of a let down. 1989 was a transitional year for thrash, the old guard was changing and the newer bands werent as old school as the past ones. Metal Church put out "Blessing In Disguise", Testament released "Practice What You Preach", Anthrax's "Killer B's"and Metallica's AJFA to name a few. Noise Records was releasing a couple new brands of thrash: Power Metal and technical thrash metal and I started to go that direction. So Onslaught may have dogged a few of their die-hard fans but to me they were just progressing naturally along with many other band of the thrash genre.

In Search Of Sanity sounds remarkably similar to early Metallica with the exception of the vocals. Onslaught's first two albums sound nothing like Metallica. I never understood the whining by Onslaught fans either but what can you do? I rather liked those transitional albums myself as they incorporated much more melody.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Onslaught - In Search Of Sanity   Onslaught - In Search Of Sanity Icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 2:31 pm

I have this on cassette tape. Sooooo need to find a CD of it.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28594

PostSubject: Re: Onslaught - In Search Of Sanity   Onslaught - In Search Of Sanity Icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 4:35 pm

In Search of Sanity is an awesome album! I love it!

Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Onslaught - In Search Of Sanity   Onslaught - In Search Of Sanity Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 10:10 am

I have this one, but it's been awhile since I've given it a spin. Might have to remedy that and see if you're review holds water.

Glower likes this post

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37849

PostSubject: Re: Onslaught - In Search Of Sanity   Onslaught - In Search Of Sanity Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 10:13 am

I had this album on tape back in the day. Didn't think much of it, honestly. That five-minute "intro" of weird sound effects that opens the album was irritating as hell, and the cover of AC/DC's "Let There Be Rock" was godawful.

In Onslaught's live DVD from a few years back there's a lengthy interview with Sy Keeler (vox) and Nige Rockett (guitar) about the history of the band in the bonus features, and when this album is brought up Rockett becomes visibly uncomfortable, like he didn't even want to talk about it...

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Onslaught - In Search Of Sanity   Onslaught - In Search Of Sanity Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 11:32 am

ultmetal wrote:

Candlelight records sells it for $10 on their website.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Onslaught - In Search Of Sanity   Onslaught - In Search Of Sanity Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 11:35 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
I had this album on tape back in the day. Didn't think much of it, honestly. That five-minute "intro" of weird sound effects that opens the album was irritating as hell, and the cover of AC/DC's "Let There Be Rock" was godawful.

In Onslaught's live DVD from a few years back there's a lengthy interview with Sy Keeler (vox) and Nige Rockett (guitar) about the history of the band in the bonus features, and when this album is brought up Rockett becomes visibly uncomfortable, like he didn't even want to talk about it...

The intro is inexplicable. Why the hell would a band do that???? I like the AC/DC cover but I like cover songs. I even like Priest's Johnny B. Goode and everybody hates that!

Clearly something strange happened in the Onslaught camp. My guess is management pushed the band into the change in sound and vocals.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Onslaught - In Search Of Sanity   Onslaught - In Search Of Sanity Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 12:48 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

Thanks.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Onslaught - In Search Of Sanity   Onslaught - In Search Of Sanity Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 12:56 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

Thanks.

It's relatively cheap on Amazon too...under $10 used
http://www.amazon.com/Search-Sanity-Onslaught/dp/B000008J4U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1310057696&sr=1-2

Metal student
Metal student
skullkrusher

Number of posts : 115

PostSubject: Re: Onslaught - In Search Of Sanity   Onslaught - In Search Of Sanity Icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 6:45 am

Onslaught were always trying to sound like other bands.

POWER FROM HELL = VENOM

THE FORCE = SLAYER

IN SEARCH OF SANITY = METALLICA

That said, IN SEARCH OF SANITY is a decent album, but I can't say I much like the vocals.

Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

PostSubject: Re: Onslaught - In Search Of Sanity   Onslaught - In Search Of Sanity Icon_minitimeSun Apr 15, 2012 11:59 am

Hey, Scott. I noticed you don't have Onslaught on the site yet. Any plans to add them on, seeing how you at least have In Search of Sanity (even if it is just on cassette)?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Onslaught - In Search Of Sanity   Onslaught - In Search Of Sanity Icon_minitimeSun Apr 15, 2012 1:26 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
I even like Priest's Johnny B. Goode and everybody hates that!

My vote for the absolute worst cover in history.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

PostSubject: Re: Onslaught - In Search Of Sanity   Onslaught - In Search Of Sanity Icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2012 1:57 pm

S.D. wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

I wouldn't say worst, but it is pretty bad indeed.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37849

PostSubject: Re: Onslaught - In Search Of Sanity   Onslaught - In Search Of Sanity Icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2012 2:16 pm

Required Fields wrote:
S.D. wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

I wouldn't say worst, but it is pretty bad indeed.

I actually don't mind Priest's "Johnny B. Goode" cover, but the video -- which shows the band playing the song live whilst being overrun by stage divers (!) is godawful atrocious.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Onslaught - In Search Of Sanity   Onslaught - In Search Of Sanity Icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2012 2:19 pm

It's an abomination. I would have gladly held Priest down while Chuck Berry beat them to death with his guitar.

lol!

Back to Onslaught. The only album I ever heard was "The Force", which basically sounded like a low-rent Slayer clone, never explored them further.

Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9933

PostSubject: Re: Onslaught - In Search Of Sanity   Onslaught - In Search Of Sanity Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2015 2:12 pm

Just ordered this one on amazon. Loved the samples I heard. Can't wait to get it.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6373

PostSubject: Re: Onslaught - In Search Of Sanity   Onslaught - In Search Of Sanity Icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2020 1:19 pm

I got this today. I don't understand the criticism. I think it's great. Big riffs, 80's Anthrax/Metallica/Forbidden style, and a great vocal performance!

My copy is a 2017 reissue where there's a bonus live disc included. I didn't get to it yet. But I'm just loving this already after two spins.

Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40462

PostSubject: Re: Onslaught - In Search Of Sanity   Onslaught - In Search Of Sanity Icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2020 2:04 pm

It's easily my favorite of them. Granted I haven't heard anything past this release, but from what I have, it's tops.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3218

PostSubject: Re: Onslaught - In Search Of Sanity   Onslaught - In Search Of Sanity Icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2020 7:11 pm

Revisited “ The Force “ . Loud !
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9933

PostSubject: Re: Onslaught - In Search Of Sanity   Onslaught - In Search Of Sanity Icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2020 1:11 pm

Glower wrote:
Revisited “ The Force “ . Loud !

Excellent album. They played it live in 2017.

I was there in the front row. Here's a photo i had taken back then:

. Onslaught - In Search Of Sanity IMG-20170909-WA0088

Back to top Go down
José Maurício
Metal novice
Metal novice
José Maurício

Number of posts : 46

PostSubject: Re: Onslaught - In Search Of Sanity   Onslaught - In Search Of Sanity Icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2024 10:00 pm

I like both The Force and In Search of Sanity in different ways , but I can't stand the stinky punk influenced "Power From Hell" . In the Search of Sanity is a Power Thrash classic , and certainly has a lot of Ride the Lightning and Spreading the Disease similarities ...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Onslaught - In Search Of Sanity   Onslaught - In Search Of Sanity Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Onslaught - In Search Of Sanity
Page 1 of 1