Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Believer - Sanity Obscure

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Believer - Sanity Obscure Empty
PostSubject: Believer - Sanity Obscure   Believer - Sanity Obscure Icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 3:05 pm

Wrote a new review for this album, since my original wasn't really a review and just a bunch of thoughts that weren't even in some sort of logical sequence. What say ye? Do I heap too much praise on this album? Agree? Disagree?

Believer - Sanity Obscure (R.E.X./Roadrunner) 1990

1. "Sanity Obscure" (6:06)
2. "Wisdom's Call" (3:44)
3. "Nonpoint" (5:14)
4. "Idols of Ignorance" (4:39)
5. "Stop the Madness" (3:56)
6. "Dies Irae (Day of Wrath)" (5:41)
7. "Dust to Dust" (5:02)
8. "Like A Song" (3:27)

"Sanity Obscure" is another thrash classic from Believer. With the band's sophomore release, they experiment with their sound quite a bit, still retaining a thrash metal sound, only getting more technical, progressive, rigid, colder and quite frankly, unique. I can't think of another band that sounded quite like them in 1990.

The eight songs included on "Sanity" are less straight-forward thrash metal than the band's debut, which means less speed-for-speed sake. That's not to say there isn't any speed here, songs like "Idols of Ignorance" are speed defined. As well, unlike the debut, the songs don't seem to have that instant grab you by the jugular groove that songs like "Unite" and "Vile Hypocrisy" had. "Sanity Obscure" is daunting at first and requires a bit more attention to really begin to appreciate the songwriting. One of the standout cuts on the album is "Nonpoint", which starts off with an ominous acoustic intro that leads way into a choppy, groove-laden guitar riff that builds into a heavy, fairy progressive song. "Stop the Madness" is the single from the record and is a bit more groove laden and memorable than the majority of the material. This song isn't ultra fast, but it is crushingly heavy, both the music and the message. It is one of the few tunes that might have fit onto "Extraction from Mortality". "Dies Irae" (aka Day of Wrath) is an experimental song that blend violins / violas, a female opera singer, and a crunchy guitar riff. The song is quite dark and gothic, which fits perfectly the end-times theme and the Latin sung lyrics. This particular song always reminded me something Celtic Frost might have experimented with and is, in my opinion, an inspiration masterpiece. (The song was also a hint of things to come from Believer.) "Like A Song" is a U2 cover, an odd choice for a thrash metal band to cover, but one that worked for Believer. "Sanity Obscure" is a fairly short record as well, which works in the band's favor. I think it is a big mistake to make albums too long as they tend to get boring, especially when it comes to really technical songwriting.

So, "Sanity Obscure" is thrash, but it's not just speed, speed, and more speed. It has it fast and furious moments, but it's also progressive and passionate. It's rage, fury and emotion wrapped with logic and thought. It is an original progressive thrash album with thoughtful lyrics from a Biblical perspective. It is a heavy metal classic and essential listening to any thrash metal fanatic.

"Sanity Obscure" gained rave reviews from everyone despite the fact that Believer are a "Christian band." (Like that matters to how good the music is.) The album was picked up and released by Roadrunner Records. The ensuing tour with Bold Thrower and Sacrifice helped gain Believer a bigger fan base. They remain underground cult favorites decades later, though they never achieved mainstream success.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Believer - Sanity Obscure   Believer - Sanity Obscure Icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 3:15 pm

I think the review is great!

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: Believer - Sanity Obscure   Believer - Sanity Obscure Icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 10:26 pm

I love that disc! Great review, not over-stating the quality of the disc at all.
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: Believer - Sanity Obscure   Believer - Sanity Obscure Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 4:08 pm

I didn't sense any over indulgent praise heaping.... It is a great disc so what you had to say was pretty evenhanded I thought.

headbanger
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

PostSubject: Re: Believer - Sanity Obscure   Believer - Sanity Obscure Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 9:46 pm

Yes, good review.

Just forgot the part to say, if it wasn't for this and the album after, then Therion and many other bands would not have followed the gothic / symphonic embellishments. Believer - Sanity Obscure 69126

(most bands/albums I would come to hate).
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Believer - Sanity Obscure   Believer - Sanity Obscure Icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 11:22 am

mlotek wrote:
Yes, good review.

Just forgot the part to say, if it wasn't for this and the album after, then Therion and many other bands would not have followed the gothic / symphonic embellishments. Believer - Sanity Obscure 69126

(most bands/albums I would come to hate).

You think so? Celtic Frost was mixing in the opera vocals and orchestration as well. They were probably a bit more influential than Believer.

PostSubject: Re: Believer - Sanity Obscure   Believer - Sanity Obscure Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Believer - Sanity Obscure
Page 1 of 1