Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dream Theater Album Update

Go down 
+19
Metal Misfit
MetalRob331
MEGATRON
Sutekh
mez
ZetaReticuli
shamgar75
GrandNational
A Handful of Wayne
Shawn Of Fire
SpectreFate
mc666
Temple of Blood
Fat Freddy
Eyesore
DallasBlack
thejokeriv
chewie
MetalGuy71
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

Dream Theater Album Update - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater Album Update   Dream Theater Album Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 12:42 pm

"Video cannot be played on mobile"

ARGH!!!

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater Album Update   Dream Theater Album Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 1:38 pm

I'll have to listen to it again but I don't know, as of now it was kind of boring. I'm not expecting much from this one, even before I heard this. It will be hard to beat the last album.

Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater Album Update   Dream Theater Album Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 1:47 pm

sounds like it could have come from Images & Words.

chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater Album Update   Dream Theater Album Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 2:08 pm

I like it, but I'm tired of hearing James sing the same melody from A Change Of Seasons("....Oh come let us adore him, Abuse and then ignore him..." part, I believe. "Your blinded by your hunger..." is one of the parts on this song) on every album.

It does have a bit of Falling Into Infinity feel to it(which I don't mind. I think I'm one of the few that actually like that album.....and Derek Sherinian in DT).

Mangini sounds good, if a bit tame, but how can you not.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater Album Update   Dream Theater Album Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 2:21 pm

Quote :
melody from A Change Of Seasons("....Oh come let us adore him, Abuse and then ignore him..."

LOVE that part in ACOS....

I wish Sherinian would have got more time in DT...ACOS and FII are both very good, IMO...

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater Album Update   Dream Theater Album Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 2:28 pm

It wasn't bad, nothing earth shattering though.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater Album Update   Dream Theater Album Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 2:29 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Quote :
melody from A Change Of Seasons("....Oh come let us adore him, Abuse and then ignore him..."

LOVE that part in ACOS....

I wish Sherinian would have got more time in DT...ACOS and FII are both very good, IMO...

I'm not saying I don't like it in THAT song(that's a GREAT song!!!!), but it seems like I've been hearing that melody on the past few albums.

Yeah, Sherinian got the SHAFT!!!!!!!
........and I liked his keyboard sounds in DT.

I know Kevin will never come back. He's on a completely different musical path(I LOVE his Chroma Key and solo stuff!!).
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater Album Update   Dream Theater Album Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 2:45 pm

Quote :

I thought he fit great...loved the recordings he was on.

Jordan is an amazing player...but a lot of the albums he's on sound very similar to one another. Not saying that's because of him, but it's an odd coincidence. Sherinian had style...not just ability.

Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater Album Update   Dream Theater Album Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 3:09 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Quote :

Jordan is an amazing player...but a lot of the albums he's on sound very similar to one another. Not saying that's because of him, but it's an odd coincidence. Sherinian had style...not just ability.

That's what I've been seeing. Jordan was FREAKIN AWESOME on that first LTE album, but then he joined DT and yea style................... and his keyboard sounds don't seem like they've progressed. Like Kevin's did from When Dream And Day Unite to Awake.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater Album Update   Dream Theater Album Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 3:53 pm

Good tune.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater Album Update   Dream Theater Album Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 4:26 pm

chewie wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Quote :

That's what I've been seeing. Jordan was FREAKIN AWESOME on that first LTE album, but then he joined DT and yea style................... and his keyboard sounds don't seem like they've progressed. Like Kevin's did from When Dream And Day Unite to Awake.

They definetly need Kevin Moore back! Jordan was good on those LTE albums and like you said his style just went.

I listened to this track again and still it doesn't do anything for me. Seems kind of boring. Theres always a song or 2 on their albums I end up not caring for anyway so this will probably be one of those songs.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater Album Update   Dream Theater Album Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 4:40 pm

If Kevin had stayed with DT, and was allowed a fair chunk of the writing, DT would sound very different now...

Metal master
Metal master
shamgar75

Number of posts : 683

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater Album Update   Dream Theater Album Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 6:19 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
If Kevin had stayed with DT, and was allowed a fair chunk of the writing, DT would sound very different now...

I agree. Too bad we'll never know what DT could've sounded like with his contributions...
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater Album Update   Dream Theater Album Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 7:53 pm

OK, I listened to the song.

It was stated earlier that is reminded one of Images & Words, and I have to agree. The simplistic riffing under the vocals and modern rock influences melodically isn't there, or at least is not as present, like it is on some of the more recent albums. Melodically it certainly hearkened back to the DT of old, which surprised me. I'll spin it a few more times and most likely check out the new album in September.

I mean, it didn't blow my mind, but I guess my low expectations were exceeded.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater Album Update   Dream Theater Album Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2011 7:38 am

Saw this on another board...kinda sums it up:

Quote :
for those too lazy to actually listen to it:

-soft guitar build-up
-twinkly circusy keyboards
-sikk drumminz from mangina
-labrie goes "LAMB 2 DA SLAUGHTERRRRRR" and uses the same vocal melody that he's used in that one other song. you know the one.
-long guitar solo

and that's about it

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ZetaReticuli

Number of posts : 454

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater Album Update   Dream Theater Album Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 11:08 pm

I like this song. But I can't tell the difference between Mangini and Portnoy. They both sound alike.
Back to top Go down
mez
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
mez

Number of posts : 375

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater Album Update   Dream Theater Album Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2011 6:48 pm

Shawn D. wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

September is shaping up pretty well with new releases. Anthrax, Bach and now DT.

Steven Wilson's Grace For Drowning and Opeth's Heritage both drop in September too.

PROG MONTH! \'arry \'eadbanger

Indeed!!! I am looking forward to these as well, glad to see someone mention it. How about SW get a new PT album out soon too??? PLS
Back to top Go down
Sutekh
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Sutekh

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater Album Update   Dream Theater Album Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2011 10:18 pm

I like the song, but it needs few more spins.... well, views Very Happy. Don't like the cover art, though.
Back to top Go down
ZetaReticuli
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ZetaReticuli

Number of posts : 454

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater Album Update   Dream Theater Album Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2011 11:44 pm

Setlist from the first show with Mangini

Under a Glass Moon
These Walls
Forsaken
Endless Sacrifice
Drum Solo
The Ytse Jam
Peruvian Skies
The Great Debate
On the Backs of Angels
Caught In A Web
Through My Words
Fatal Tragedy
The Count of Tuscany
Encore:
Learning To Live
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater Album Update   Dream Theater Album Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 8:39 am

Cool new song.

I may pick this up, but yeah parts of it do sound similar to other DT songs.

Not blown away by the clean guitar intro riff.

Mangini sounds good, if not remarkable.

Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater Album Update   Dream Theater Album Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 5:36 pm

ZetaReticuli wrote:
I like this song. But I can't tell the difference between Mangini and Portnoy. They both sound alike.

Portnoy is much busier. It's like the difference between Keith Moon and Kenny Jones(his replacement in The Who).
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater Album Update   Dream Theater Album Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2011 1:15 pm

You can't get away with anything these days.

Dream Theater Album Update - Page 2 262858_209447142439946_100001239853199_651181_5390127_n

lol!
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater Album Update   Dream Theater Album Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2011 3:25 pm

That's what happens when you use stock photos to make an album cover.... and not check if anyone else has used it....

BTW - the new album is excellent!
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater Album Update   Dream Theater Album Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2011 3:40 pm

Apparently Portnoy also hears big similarities to Images & Words.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater Album Update   Dream Theater Album Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2011 4:03 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Apparently Portnoy also hears big similarities to Images & Words.

Yeah, I read that... my response is so what? Dream Theater has lots of songs that have the same structure, so MP has no reason to bitch. It's part of their sound. MP sounds like a guy that left his wife for a younger woman and is now pissed that she is successful.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater Album Update   Dream Theater Album Update - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dream Theater Album Update
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next