Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Warrant - Rockaholic

Go down 
+15
Metal Misfit
ultmetal
Getizzyback
Waylon
metalinmyveins
exact33
DallasBlack
Jessrox
Fat Freddy
Shawn Of Fire
MetalGuy71
James B.
krokus
Gilbert
Eyesore
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Warrant - Rockaholic - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Rockaholic   Warrant - Rockaholic - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2011 3:28 pm

Quote :
but as for the identity thing, I think you should give it time and listen to the whole album

We'll see. This new one would be pretty low down on the "must-have" list for me. Much like Skid Row without Bas, I just don't know that I want to hear Warrant without Jani, no matter how good the album might be. Never heard the Jamie St. James album for that reason too. It just doesn't sit right with me.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Getizzyback

Number of posts : 428

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Rockaholic   Warrant - Rockaholic - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2011 3:43 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :
but as for the identity thing, I think you should give it time and listen to the whole album

We'll see. This new one would be pretty low down on the "must-have" list for me. Much like Skid Row without Bas, I just don't know that I want to hear Warrant without Jani, no matter how good the album might be. Never heard the Jamie St. James album for that reason too. It just doesn't sit right with me.

I understand where you're coming from, some bands try to pull off what AC/DC and Van Halen did years ago.

It just takes time getting used to a new singer, the key is you have to like the music enough to accept it.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Rockaholic   Warrant - Rockaholic - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2011 3:48 pm

Quote :
It just takes time getting used to a new singer, the key is you have to like the music enough to accept it.

Speaking of which, there's a band I had no problem whatsoever with them getting a new singer. That last Accept album was one of the best of 2010 as far as I was concerned.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Rockaholic   Warrant - Rockaholic - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2011 10:42 pm

I don't think they expect to sell a ton of albums...they just wanted to write songs they liked and that were good. Warrant, as melodic and catchy and hook filled as they were, were nothing terribly unique even back then...just good at what they did. I think with what I've heard so far that they're maintaining that with Mason...good, catchy, melodic rock songs...

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Rockaholic   Warrant - Rockaholic - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 12:53 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
I don't think they expect to sell a ton of albums...they just wanted to write songs they liked and that were good. Warrant, as melodic and catchy and hook filled as they were, were nothing terribly unique even back then...just good at what they did. I think with what I've heard so far that they're maintaining that with Mason...good, catchy, melodic rock songs...
Gotta agree with this. Good music is good music. Plus the last Warrant album, and I imagine this upcoming one, blow away the last couple albums with Jani.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Rockaholic   Warrant - Rockaholic - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 3:40 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Gotta agree with this. Good music is good music. Plus the last Warrant album, and I imagine this upcoming one, blow away the last couple albums with Jani.

Even though I liked some of Belly To Belly, the 2 songs I've heard of this new album are WAY better...
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Rockaholic   Warrant - Rockaholic - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 07, 2011 6:02 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I can't exactly put my finger on what it is (aside from the obvious, no Jani), but it just doesn't sound like a Warrant song to me. It's not a bad song, but kinda generic. It doesn't have any identity to it. Coulda been any nameless, faceless melodic rock band and I wouldn't have known any difference.

I agree. It doesnt have that distinctive Warrant-ness to it...

Getizzyback
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Getizzyback

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Rockaholic   Warrant - Rockaholic - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 07, 2011 10:00 pm

Eyesore wrote:
the last Warrant album, and I imagine this upcoming one, blow away the last couple albums with Jani.

I agree with this if you're talking Belly to Belly, but if you're talking Ultraphobic, I couldn't disagree more, even though I believe this album had only 3 original members, and I recall maybe a few guys from Kingdom Come.
Back to top Go down
Getizzyback
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Getizzyback

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Rockaholic   Warrant - Rockaholic - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2011 11:10 am

OK, I heard it, it's Good! I like this guy Mason, he's got that Loverboy, Foreigner thing going, which is right up my alley! If you played this for me without saying it's Warrant, my first guess would be Loverboy.

If you take Loverboy, Foreigner, and Autograph, put them in a blender, sprinkle in a dash of Bon Jovi, Damn Yankees, and a pinch of Whitesnake.....then Rockaholic is a great Puree!

"What Love Can Do" is probally my favorite, "Sex Ain't Love" was a good opening track.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Rockaholic   Warrant - Rockaholic - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2011 11:27 am

Quote :
he's got that Loverboy, Foreigner thing going, which is right up my alley! If you played this for me without saying it's Warrant, my first guess would be Loverboy.

Quote :
If you take Loverboy, Foreigner, and Autograph, put them in a blender, sprinkle in a dash of Bon Jovi, Damn Yankees, and a pinch of Whitesnake

Well that nails it. Now I know I'm gonna pass on this one. I'd rather put myself in that blender. Razz

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Getizzyback

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Rockaholic   Warrant - Rockaholic - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2011 12:07 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :
he's got that Loverboy, Foreigner thing going, which is right up my alley! If you played this for me without saying it's Warrant, my first guess would be Loverboy.

Quote :
If you take Loverboy, Foreigner, and Autograph, put them in a blender, sprinkle in a dash of Bon Jovi, Damn Yankees, and a pinch of Whitesnake

Well that nails it. Now I know I'm gonna pass on this one. I'd rather put myself in that blender. Razz

lol, don't take my word for it, give it a listen and see what you think.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Rockaholic   Warrant - Rockaholic - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2011 10:24 pm

This album is fantastic, one of the best of the year. It's just a great melodic rock 'n' roll album (something I don't think they could pull off with Jani) and much better than Born Again. If you're not sure about this album, check out "Sex Ain't Love", "The Last Straw" and "Cocaine Freight Train", if you can. Those songs kick butt!
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Rockaholic   Warrant - Rockaholic - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 5:51 pm

Metal Misfit wrote:
This album is fantastic, one of the best of the year. It's just a great melodic rock 'n' roll album (something I don't think they could pull off with Jani) and much better than Born Again. If you're not sure about this album, check out "Sex Ain't Love", "The Last Straw" and "Cocaine Freight Train", if you can. Those songs kick butt!
Gotta agree. This album is excellent! Fans of this kind of music are missing out if they're not buying because Jani isn't on it. Definitely better than Born Again, and that one, I thought, was really good.

"Dusty's Revenge" is my favorite track at the moment. Great album!
Back to top Go down
JBall_Z
Metal master
Metal master
JBall_Z

Number of posts : 919

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Rockaholic   Warrant - Rockaholic - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2011 8:02 pm

Just bought this album today. I'm listening to it right now for the first time and really likin' what I'm hearing.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Rockaholic   Warrant - Rockaholic - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2011 9:48 pm

Eyesore wrote:

Gotta agree. This album is excellent! Fans of this kind of music are missing out if they're not buying because Jani isn't on it. Definitely better than Born Again, and that one, I thought, was really good.

"Dusty's Revenge" is my favorite track at the moment. Great album!

Yep, I thought Born Again was good as well. My favorite is "Cocaine Freight Train". Finally got my physical copy in the mail today.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Rockaholic   Warrant - Rockaholic - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 11:16 pm

i just read on TMZ that they found the former lead singer of this band dead. anyone else hear this?

Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Rockaholic   Warrant - Rockaholic - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 11:28 pm

Appears to be true. Sadly, not surprised.
Back to top Go down
metalken
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 819

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Rockaholic   Warrant - Rockaholic - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 11:56 pm

Yeah, just saw the news on Blabbermouth before stopping here. Sad, but not all that shocked.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Rockaholic   Warrant - Rockaholic - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2013 11:53 am

Bump.

Picked up this album from DallasBlack's fire sale a coupla months ago and my initial reaction to this album still hold true. It's not a bad melodic rock release, but it has no identity. There are some catchy tunes, but you wouldn't know it's Warrant. Jani's voice (and songwriting) helped make this band what it was.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Rockaholic   Warrant - Rockaholic - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 10:13 am

Definitely does not sound like Warrant, Jani WAS Warrant, but it is a great melodic hard rock album, IMO. I wish they would hurry up and do a follow-up.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Rockaholic   Warrant - Rockaholic - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 10:15 am

Haven't heard Rockaholic but I had similar feelings about the previous Warrant album, Born Again (which had Jamie St. James from Black N Blue on vox) ... it's an OK disc while it's playing but it doesn't leave any impression when it's over. There's no "personality" to it.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Rockaholic   Warrant - Rockaholic - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 11:05 am

Rockaholic is MUCH better than Born Again, IMO...the songs and the vocals are just better. I do understand how not having Jani's voice sort of causes a loss of identity...like any other band that changes singers...but the songs on Rockaholic are so good!

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Rockaholic   Warrant - Rockaholic - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 11:22 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Rockaholic is MUCH better than Born Again, IMO...the songs and the vocals are just better. I do understand how not having Jani's voice sort of causes a loss of identity...like any other band that changes singers...but the songs on Rockaholic are so good!
Yea, it's catchy and not a bad album. Just "no identity" is a good way of putting it. I had it in my car the other morning on the way into work and 8 hours later on the ride home, I had to pop it out to see who I was listening to again.

Metal master
Metal master
JBall_Z

Number of posts : 919

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Rockaholic   Warrant - Rockaholic - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 2:12 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Concur.  Rockaholic is a really good album, and I really like Robert Mason's vocal style.  The song Sex Ain't Love would not sound out of place on a Big C**K album.

Btw, because you like Rockaholic, if you haven't already... I recommend you check out BC's Motherload album.  It rocks!
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Rockaholic   Warrant - Rockaholic - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 6:25 pm

I like this album too and also BORN AGAIN (i also bought the dvd that came after that album with the band playing all the songs without audience).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Rockaholic   Warrant - Rockaholic - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Warrant - Rockaholic
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next