Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Warrant - Rockaholic

Go down 
+15
Metal Misfit
ultmetal
Getizzyback
Waylon
metalinmyveins
exact33
DallasBlack
Jessrox
Fat Freddy
Shawn Of Fire
MetalGuy71
James B.
krokus
Gilbert
Eyesore
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

Warrant - Rockaholic - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Rockaholic   Warrant - Rockaholic - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2011 4:00 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
exact33 wrote:
the Ode to Tipper was a bit much though..

MetalGuy71 wrote:
And yea, 'Ode to Tipper' was pretty funny back then (I used to end mix tapes with that one allot), but now it's kinda cringe-worthy.

Some years back we were having a family BBQ at the house so I threw 5 CDs in our stereo (incl. "Cherry Pie"), put the CD changer on "Random," and pushed the button that would pipe the music to our outdoor speakers. Imagine my horror when later that afternoon, I'm standing there working the grill and I suddenly hear "Ode To Tipper Gore" come blasting out. I had totally forgotten that damn track was on the CD. It's so short that I didn't even bother trying to run inside to change the song, so everyone - kids, grandparents, cousins, etc. - got to enjoy it. My wife was uber-pissed but all I could say was "Um....oops?" Laughing very hard

I don't want to get too far off on a tangent, but I've had that same type of moment. I was a manager of a store called "Hat World" back in the late 90's. I would always bring in C.D's with me, but I was normally cognizant of what was acceptable and what wasn't acceptable. It was '98 and I had drifted aways from the metal scene somewhat. I was in this Elliott Smith faze. Elliott had just struck it big with his three songs on the "Goodwill Hunting" soundtrack, and I happened to be playing that one day in the store. Well, before I could dive into the back room and stop the C.D. player, the line "Situations get f*cked up and turn around sooner or later" came out of the speakers. I had a handful of customers in the store, so I decided to play dumb, and act like I didn't hear a thing. I think I must have said to myself, please God don't let me get fired over something as stupid as this.

lol!

Waylon
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 305

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Rockaholic   Warrant - Rockaholic - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2011 12:58 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
exact33 wrote:
the Ode to Tipper was a bit much though..

MetalGuy71 wrote:
And yea, 'Ode to Tipper' was pretty funny back then (I used to end mix tapes with that one allot), but now it's kinda cringe-worthy.

Some years back we were having a family BBQ at the house so I threw 5 CDs in our stereo (incl. "Cherry Pie"), put the CD changer on "Random," and pushed the button that would pipe the music to our outdoor speakers. Imagine my horror when later that afternoon, I'm standing there working the grill and I suddenly hear "Ode To Tipper Gore" come blasting out. I had totally forgotten that damn track was on the CD. It's so short that I didn't even bother trying to run inside to change the song, so everyone - kids, grandparents, cousins, etc. - got to enjoy it. My wife was uber-pissed but all I could say was "Um....oops?" Laughing very hard

Been there. Done that!! lol!
Back to top Go down
Getizzyback
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Getizzyback

Number of posts : 428

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Rockaholic   Warrant - Rockaholic - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2011 9:29 pm

I'll be sure to pick this up, I've been a Warrant fan since the beginning (since their "wussy" days).

As for Born Again, it's not a total masterpiece by any means, but I have to admit it was MUCH BETTER than I anticipated. Nothing wrong with Jaime St. James.

I will rant about that Belly to Belly junk, what was that supposed to be? Total Boredom is what it ended up as (IMO)

I wonder if Jani Lane is going to do more with Saints From The Underground, I thought that was a good effort.

Final Note: I still get upset listening to Dirty Rotton Filthy Stinking Rich, it's a great album with the worst sound quality I have ever heard from a studio CD. Sure needs a new Mix and Master!
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Rockaholic   Warrant - Rockaholic - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 7:20 am

I liked Belly To Belly...I never have heard Ultraphobic though...

I'll give this new one a shot...Mason is awesome.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 305

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Rockaholic   Warrant - Rockaholic - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 12:43 pm

I have Belly to Belly, and think it is a YAWNFEST. What were they thinking? surprised

I also have Born Again, and REALLY like it! headbanger
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Rockaholic   Warrant - Rockaholic - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 11:18 am

Ok, so I already really like "What Love Can Do" from the new CD, and now I've heard "Life's A Song" (4 times in a row) and I have to say that so far this incarnation of Warrant is 2 for 2...excellent song!!

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Rockaholic   Warrant - Rockaholic - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 11:26 am

OK, didn't read this whole thread, so sorry if I missed it, but whose the vocalist on this project?

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Rockaholic   Warrant - Rockaholic - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 11:28 am

Robert Mason (Lynch Mob, Cry Of Love, Big C0ck)

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Rockaholic   Warrant - Rockaholic - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 11:41 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Robert Mason (Lynch Mob, Cry Of Love, Big C0ck)

Ugh! What happened to Jamie St. James?

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Rockaholic   Warrant - Rockaholic - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 11:45 am

I think Jani briefly returned, so he went back to Black n' Blue. When Jani flaked out again in the middle of the tour, Mason was brought in to play shows. I guess things worked out better than they hoped and he stayed in the band.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Rockaholic   Warrant - Rockaholic - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 11:59 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I think Jani briefly returned, so he went back to Black n' Blue. When Jani flaked out again in the middle of the tour, Mason was brought in to play shows. I guess things worked out better than they hoped and he stayed in the band.

Mason is a great singer and these new songs are very good. He's been in the band since 2008.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Rockaholic   Warrant - Rockaholic - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 4:01 pm

Yeah, Mason sounds really good.

Anyone know what ever happened to the original Cry of Love singer? That debut is so awesome, but that guy, as far as I know, never resurfaced in any other band. I've read he was in some band called Crush, but can't find any info on them.

Wish I could find some tracks from his pre-Cry of Love band, The Point.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Rockaholic   Warrant - Rockaholic - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 4:17 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Mason is a great singer and these new songs are very good. He's been in the band since 2008.

Am I correct about how Mason got the gig though? I thought that's how it played out, but I'm not 100% certain that's accurate.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Rockaholic   Warrant - Rockaholic - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 4:31 pm

Eyesore - original Cry Of Love singer Kelly Holland is hanging out in NC not really doing much of anything. He did a demo with my Waking Jonah guitarist Stephen Chesney as a favor, but he's not really doing any music at all. Stephen tells him all the time how awesome Cry Of Love was (one of Stephen's faves) but Kelly just smiles and shrugs...doesn't really feel like CoL left that big a mark...but he's happy people liked the music.

MetalGuy71 - yeah, I think so...Jani came back and it was a big deal about the original members being all back together, started a tour and Jani fell apart again...Mason stepped in at that point.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Rockaholic   Warrant - Rockaholic - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 5:04 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Eyesore - original Cry Of Love singer Kelly Holland is hanging out in NC not really doing much of anything. He did a demo with my Waking Jonah guitarist Stephen Chesney as a favor, but he's not really doing any music at all. Stephen tells him all the time how awesome Cry Of Love was (one of Stephen's faves) but Kelly just smiles and shrugs...doesn't really feel like CoL left that big a mark...but he's happy people liked the music.
That's unfortunate. Seems like he may be a bit jaded for some reason. That's too bad. That Cry of Love debut, to me, is one of the best of the 90s. And his voice was excellent.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Rockaholic   Warrant - Rockaholic - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 10:54 pm

One of our own gives praise:

http://metalexcess.com/2011/05/04/warrant-rockaholic

Can't wait!
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Rockaholic   Warrant - Rockaholic - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2011 2:24 pm

Not mind-blowing, but I dig it. headbanger
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Rockaholic   Warrant - Rockaholic - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2011 2:36 pm

That new song "Life's A Song" is really good!!

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Getizzyback

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Rockaholic   Warrant - Rockaholic - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2011 2:53 pm

Great song, can't wait to hear the whole album.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Rockaholic   Warrant - Rockaholic - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2011 3:01 pm

Decent song. Wow, those guys got old. Haha.

Did ya notice how all of the 'vintage' photos/film clips in the video show no traces whatsoever of Jani Lane? Ouch.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Rockaholic   Warrant - Rockaholic - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2011 3:07 pm

I can't exactly put my finger on what it is (aside from the obvious, no Jani), but it just doesn't sound like a Warrant song to me. It's not a bad song, but kinda generic. It doesn't have any identity to it. Coulda been any nameless, faceless melodic rock band and I wouldn't have known any difference.

Quote :
Did ya notice how all of the 'vintage' photos/film clips in the video show no traces whatsoever of Jani Lane? Ouch.

I thought I saw a brief glimpse of Jani towards the end, but I went back and checked. I think it was someone from Danger Danger or something. Ted Poley maybe?

EDIT: Around the 3:40 mark, there is a shot of the guys with Steven Tyler. Who is the guy on the far right?

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Rockaholic   Warrant - Rockaholic - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2011 3:11 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

EDIT: Around the 3:40 mark, there is a shot of the guys with Steven Tyler. Who is the guy on the far right?

Looks like it could be Ted Poley to me too, but I'm not sure.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Rockaholic   Warrant - Rockaholic - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2011 3:14 pm

There's actually a vintage shot of Warrant (minus Jani) posing with Robert Mason (who was in Lynch Mob at the time)...kinda cool.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Rockaholic   Warrant - Rockaholic - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2011 3:17 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
There's actually a vintage shot of Warrant (minus Jani) posing with Robert Mason (who was in Lynch Mob at the time)...kinda cool.

Around the 2:10 mark, there is video of what I assume to be Robert from an old Lynch Mob video.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Getizzyback

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Rockaholic   Warrant - Rockaholic - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2011 3:20 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I can't exactly put my finger on what it is (aside from the obvious, no Jani), but it just doesn't sound like a Warrant song to me. It's not a bad song, but kinda generic. It doesn't have any identity to it. Coulda been any nameless, faceless melodic rock band and I wouldn't have known any difference.

Of course Jani was a big part of Warrant, songwriter, singer etc

but as for the identity thing, I think you should give it time and listen to the whole album, I don't think it sounds generic, just different because Robert Mason is not Jani Lane. If Mason stays for the long haul, maybe some identity can be earned. Mason has a great voice, I just hope the song writing don't suffer without Jani. Maybe they can let Jani do just the writing, if he can't handle the stage duties anymore! lol

I guess he does ok for Great White, go figure.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Warrant - Rockaholic   Warrant - Rockaholic - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Warrant - Rockaholic
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next