Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Question for all?

Go down 
+22
DeathCult
Vexer6
chewie
MetalGuy71
Joe
metalinmyveins
manny
Fat Freddy
thejokeriv
exact33
Olafsto
Igor
mc666
Witchfinder
Required Fields
Gilbert
Ben Grimm
ultmetal
James B.
Temple of Blood
Stender
speed101
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

Question for all? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question for all?   Question for all? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 11:54 am

James B. wrote:
The best advice is to listen for yourself. Over the past twenty years, countless times have I read or was told that this or that new album by so and so was bad, terrible, and/or sucked. Then find out by actually listening to it that my opinion was way different.

+1
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: Question for all?   Question for all? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 12:34 pm

I agree with most of the examples given, and i'm one of the few people in existence who actually LIKED "The Pack Is Back" yeah it's a blatant attempt at getting radio play, but in spite of that it's pretty listenable, maybe they should've released it under a different name like Grave Digger did with "Stronger Then Ever"(also underrated)
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Question for all?   Question for all? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 12:37 pm

manny wrote:
IMO I love the direction Iron Maiden has gone in, and think it would have been sadder if they had tried to re-do Powerslave or Number of the Beast, think their new prog direction works for them.

KISS and Metallica's last album they both did was their best in years, and unlike Iron Maiden, they were able to move forward by looking back if that makes sense.

In some ways I think Motorhead's latest line up is their best.

I am in agreement that Queensryche newer albums are nowhere near as good as their classic albums but IMO their are good songs scattered through out those discs

IMO alot of veteran metal/hard rock/classic rock artists such as KISS, Iron Maiden, AC/DC, Slayer, Metallica, Uriah Heep, UFO, Rolling Stones, Black Sabbath (Heaven and Hell) and many others I have left off, have been going thru a creative renaissance in the twilight of their career, and only in rock n roll is being an experienced musician, artist and age a factor in how people perceive how good or bad one's art is.

well said!

DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Question for all?   Question for all? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 7:35 pm

chewie wrote:
James B. wrote:
The best advice is to listen for yourself. Over the past twenty years, countless times have I read or was told that this or that new album by so and so was bad, terrible, and/or sucked. Then find out by actually listening to it that my opinion was way different.

+1

I agree with this as well, it really depends on the band. However, some bands were never meant to have longevity, especially in the metal world. Nostalgia plays a strong part in peoples opinions of more recent albums IMO.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Question for all?   Question for all? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 7:44 pm

speed101 wrote:
Bands im on the limb on is anvil,motorhead,mercyful fate,king diamond,destruction,sodom,kreator,raven.Also i mean anything after 1989.Say like motorhead-1916

Anvil
Meh, I always thought they were somewhat mediocre in general. After Metal On Metal they never needed to record another record.

King Diamond/Mercyful Fate

King and crew have released a plethora of good albums since the 80's. The Eye, The Spider's Lullabye and House Of God are my favorite newer KD albums while Into The Unknown, Time and In The Shadows are among MF's best.

Motorhead

Motorhead's well...Motorhead. IMO they've never put out a bad record.

Sodom and Destruction

Both have some great recent stuff.

Kreator and Raven

While I dig their newer stuff, I think their best work is in the 80's.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
rawr!
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 372

PostSubject: Re: Question for all?   Question for all? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 8:10 pm

im a pretty exhaustive collector usually but there are some bands that get so unlistenable in their later years that i refuse to collect their material past a certain point. that goes more for bands started in the 90s than in the 80s or 70s, but i do pass on some of the classic thrashers 90s material before picking up again during the period of reinvigoration, for example. i collect files as well as physical discs, and sometimes the difference in what im collecting determines whether the band has a full discography or just a few releases.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Question for all?   Question for all? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 8:16 pm

Depends on the band.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
speed101
Metal master
Metal master
speed101

Number of posts : 516

PostSubject: Re: Question for all?   Question for all? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 2:34 am

How bout newer stuff by tankard,assassin,and at war?
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Question for all?   Question for all? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 3:43 am

The new ASSASSIN album sounds pretty cool to me so far.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Question for all?   Question for all? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 8:08 am

speed101 wrote:
How bout newer stuff by tankard,assassin,and at war?

At War's latest is great! headbanger

Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Question for all?   Question for all? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 9:02 am

Temple of Blood wrote:

I agree.The New Assassin sounds as good as anything they've done in the past.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Question for all?   Question for all? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 12:17 pm

Thrasher73 wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

I agree.The New Assassin sounds as good as anything they've done in the past.

I actually like it better. One of the few thrash bands who came back and surpassed their old stuff I think.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Question for all?   Question for all? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 4:03 pm

I agree with the "depends on the band" sentiment...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question for all?   Question for all? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Question for all?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2