Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Question for all?

Go down 
+22
DeathCult
Vexer6
chewie
MetalGuy71
Joe
metalinmyveins
manny
Fat Freddy
thejokeriv
exact33
Olafsto
Igor
mc666
Witchfinder
Required Fields
Gilbert
Ben Grimm
ultmetal
James B.
Temple of Blood
Stender
speed101
26 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
speed101
Metal master
Metal master
speed101

Number of posts : 516

Question for all? Empty
PostSubject: Question for all?   Question for all? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 10:32 pm

Is there anyone else here who thinks bands early stuff is better than their later years and cut off a band at a certain time like 1989 or so and dont buy their later cds as it just seems like too much music to get?I mean bands like anvil,raven,and such or any bands who have been around since the 80s?
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

Question for all? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question for all?   Question for all? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 10:37 pm

Sepultura I cut off at like 1993. Slayer in my opinion was best pre 1991. Im sure theres loads of bands that I feel this way about, I guess its pretty much standard with most bands because they are the most inspired when they first start. Although I think Hirax for example has been at their best just recently.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

Question for all? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question for all?   Question for all? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 10:39 pm

Absolutely.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

Question for all? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question for all?   Question for all? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 11:13 pm

Stender wrote:
Although I think Hirax for example has been at their best just recently.

Question for all? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtKP9MoBwRHoRLLHW2uuMiJEtG1TOLe-lPC0m4h5c77UPWgqwO0w

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Question for all? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question for all?   Question for all? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 11:16 pm

Nope. Not always. I like recent albums from RAVEN and ANVIL as much as their early albums. The most recent Raven is fantastic. Can't stop playing it. ANVIL's "Strength of Steel" and "Still Going Strong" are fantastic IMO. I like some of Black Sabbath's later material as much as their "classics". I like the entire Aerosmith catalog, even the poppier stuff. I think Ted Nugent's last two studio albums are some of the best he has recorded. Thin Lizzy went out with a bang with their best album, "Thunder and Lightning". Accept's most recent release is one of their best albums ever! Motorhead just get better and better. Overkill, still great, and BETTER than the 80's. Yes, I said it and I believe it. Hirax, better now than they were in the 80's. Saxon, still great, though I do confess to liking their 80's stuff more. (ya can't beat nostalgia) King's X never released a bad record.

I guess I'm just not as "kvlt" and "troo underground" as some other people. Very Happy

On the other hand, I don't think anything Iron Maiden has released in recent years is as good as their 80's albums. Judas Priest's last album was somewhat boring, yet I love "Angel of Retribution". Loudness haven't released a great album since the 80's. Stryper, like their new stuff, don't like it anywhere near as much as their 'classic' material. Iced Earth have gotten to proggy and concept oriented in recent years, compared to their early material.

All-in-all, it depends on the band for me.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Ben Grimm

Number of posts : 450

Question for all? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question for all?   Question for all? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 12:00 am

ultmetal wrote:
Loudness haven't released a great album since the 80's.
Hey Ult, you should give Loudness' last album King of Pain a try, I really liked the album it was in my top 15 last year. I have not cared about Loudness for years.
I have a few bands that I have given up on that I loved in the 80's and early 90's but they just don't have it for me anymore, however sometimes those bands surprise me.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/inedibleben
speed101
Metal master
Metal master
speed101

Question for all? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question for all?   Question for all? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 12:09 am

Bands im on the limb on is anvil,motorhead,mercyful fate,king diamond,destruction,sodom,kreator,raven.Also i mean anything after 1989.Say like motorhead-1916
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

Question for all? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question for all?   Question for all? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 12:25 am

It depends on the bands.

Some bands have come up with recent albums that are much better then some of their early catalogue.

Helloween and Accept are the perfect example.

There are other bands i kind of lost interest in a few years ago, like Sepultura, Slayer, Iron Maiden...
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

Question for all? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question for all?   Question for all? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 12:35 am

It depends on the band.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
speed101
Metal master
Metal master
speed101

Question for all? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question for all?   Question for all? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 1:07 am

Hi the bands im wondering about i listed 3 posts above if anyone can help.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

Question for all? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question for all?   Question for all? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 1:16 am

There are bands that have gone completely downhill (I'm looking at you Queensryche) but I won't arbitrarily set a date after which I won't listen to a band's newer output. Motorhead's albums for the last 20 years have been superior to their "classics" in my opinion. Also, some band's have a down period from which they recover - Iron maiden or Saxon come to mind. I think bands are generally better when they are younger because they are hungrier but this is not always true.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Question for all? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question for all?   Question for all? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 1:32 am

ultmetal wrote:

All-in-all, it depends on the band for me.
ditto.

speed101 wrote:

Bands im on the limb on is anvil,motorhead,mercyful fate,king diamond,destruction,sodom,kreator,raven.Also i mean anything after 1989.Say like motorhead-1916
to me, Motorhead sounds just as good now, as they ever did. some of their best albums have been post 89. King Diamond & Fate have also released some excellent albums after 1989 like The Eye, House Of God, Give Me Your Soul..., In The Shadows, Time, Into The Unknown, & 9 respectively. Sodom's Tapping The Vein & Code Red are great as well as a couple of others. Kreator had all kinds of greatness since 89, most importantly Coma Of Souls. Destruction is still a badass.

i never got into Anvil & Raven outside of the recognized classics.

Igor
Metal student
Metal student
Igor

Number of posts : 105

Question for all? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question for all?   Question for all? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 5:56 am

there`s a saying... study
Artist can create when he(she) is hungry (read poor)
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

Question for all? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question for all?   Question for all? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 7:25 am

Igor wrote:
there`s a saying... study
Artist can create when he(she) is hungry (read poor)

There is much truth in that saying...
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

Question for all? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question for all?   Question for all? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 8:10 am

Gilbert wrote:
It depends on the bands.

Some bands have come up with recent albums that are much better then some of their early catalogue.

Helloween and Accept are the perfect example.

Great examples! I think Helloween is getting better with age. I think the new Whitesnake is an excellent album as well. I go mainly on what I hear and judge a band on each release. I havent been interested in Hammerfall for awhile but I have listened to their newer stuff and not dismissed it out of hand.

ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Question for all? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question for all?   Question for all? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 8:11 am

speed101 wrote:

ultmetal wrote:
Nope. Not always. I like recent albums from RAVEN and ANVIL as much as their early albums. The most recent Raven, "Walk Through Fire" is fantastic. Can't stop playing it. ANVIL's "Strength of Steel" and "Still Going Strong" are fantastic IMO. I like some of Black Sabbath's later material as much as their "classics". I like the entire Aerosmith catalog, even the poppier stuff. I think Ted Nugent's last two studio albums are some of the best he has recorded. Thin Lizzy went out with a bang with their best album, "Thunder and Lightning". Accept's most recent release is one of their best albums ever! Motorhead just get better and better. Overkill, still great, and BETTER than the 80's. Yes, I said it and I believe it. Hirax, better now than they were in the 80's. Saxon, still great, though I do confess to liking their 80's stuff more. (ya can't beat nostalgia) King's X never released a bad record.

I also like Kreator's last three as much as, if not more than, their early material. Hordes of Chaos, Enemy of God and Violent Revolution, are all great IMO.

I like Sodom's more recent albums much more than their messy 80's albums. "Code Red" amd "M-16" are simply outstanding IMO.

Motorhead haven't released a bad album. "1916" is great! Motörizer, Kiss of Death, Inferno, Hammered, We Are Motörhead, Snake Bite Love, Overnight Sensation...you can't miss with any of them IMO.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

Question for all? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question for all?   Question for all? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 8:57 am

Depends on the band - as mentioned, Queensryche's stuff has not been as good sine Promised Land. Anvil, Raven , Accept all released some GREAT albums as of late.

Also KISS, Sonic Boom was excellent!!!! Ace released his best solo album since his 1978 release.

Of course I am a HUGE Iron Maiden fan and think the past 4 albums are just as good as the 80's stuff.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

Question for all? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question for all?   Question for all? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 9:02 am

speed101 wrote:
anvil
Consistently putting out good stuff.

speed101 wrote:
motorhead
Motorhead are just as good now as they've ever been. Hell, probably even better (Mikkey Dee is the best drummer they've ever had).

speed101 wrote:
mercyful fate
Their 90s reunion stuff was bad-ass up till the DEAD AGAIN album (when Hank Shermann left the band).

speed101 wrote:
king diamond
Lost interest in his solo stuff after ABIGAIL, I prefer his work w/Mercyful Fate.

speed101 wrote:
raven
See my answer for "Anvil"

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Question for all? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question for all?   Question for all? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 9:15 am

Favorite King Diamond post-80's album: "The Spider's Lullabye"

Bizarre storyline about Spider's laying eggs in someone's brain and causing them to go insane. Great music and I dig King's vocals on this album.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Question for all? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question for all?   Question for all? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 9:19 am

IMO I love the direction Iron Maiden has gone in, and think it would have been sadder if they had tried to re-do Powerslave or Number of the Beast, think their new prog direction works for them.

KISS and Metallica's last album they both did was their best in years, and unlike Iron Maiden, they were able to move forward by looking back if that makes sense.

In some ways I think Motorhead's latest line up is their best.

I am in agreement that Queensryche newer albums are nowhere near as good as their classic albums but IMO their are good songs scattered through out those discs

IMO alot of veteran metal/hard rock/classic rock artists such as KISS, Iron Maiden, AC/DC, Slayer, Metallica, Uriah Heep, UFO, Rolling Stones, Black Sabbath (Heaven and Hell) and many others I have left off, have been going thru a creative renaissance in the twilight of their career, and only in rock n roll is being an experienced musician, artist and age a factor in how people perceive how good or bad one's art is.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

Question for all? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question for all?   Question for all? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 9:38 am

The best advice is to listen for yourself. Over the past twenty years, countless times have I read or was told that this or that new album by so and so was bad, terrible, and/or sucked. Then find out by actually listening to it that my opinion was way different.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

Question for all? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question for all?   Question for all? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 11:00 am

Queensryche would be the perfect example for me. I love everything up until "Mindcrime", I liked "Empire" (1991), and pretty much loathed everything else!

After "Dancing Undercover" by RATT (1986), I hated anything else they put out. I did hear great things about their last album, so it's on my list of albums to check out.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Question for all? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question for all?   Question for all? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 11:08 am

metalinmyveins wrote:
Queensryche would be the perfect example for me. I love everything up until "Mindcrime", I liked "Empire" (1991), and pretty much loathed everything else!

After "Dancing Undercover" by RATT (1986), I hated anything else they put out. I did hear great things about their last album, so it's on my list of albums to check out.

QR are a bad example though since they have pretty much run the gamut of styles, unlike Raven, Motorhead, Mercyful Fate or Anvil that have stayed true to their sound.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

Question for all? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question for all?   Question for all? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 11:11 am

Question for all? Nothing2add-1

It's pretty much been covered.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Question for all? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question for all?   Question for all? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 11:12 am

Joe wrote:
Question for all? Nothing2add-1

It's pretty much been covered.

+1 Laughing

Question for all? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question for all?   Question for all? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Question for all?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next