Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Riot kick....

Go down 
+21
Dark Horseman
Required Fields
Witchfinder
ZombieHavoc
stpatrik
mlotek
DallasBlack
arachnoplasma
adrian
manny
Metal Misfit
krokus
ultmetal
Lurideath
Temple of Blood
MetalGuy71
nevermore
James B.
Gilbert
metalken
mr.electric39
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

Riot kick.... - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riot kick....   Riot kick.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2015 11:54 am

RIOT is/was of course a good band but in all seriousness I'd like to know what they were thinking with that mascot.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Riot kick....   Riot kick.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2015 3:06 pm

Listening to Unleash the Fire on Spotify right now. I assume it's a bunch of different band members at this point, but this is obviously way different than Fire Down Under. It sounds like what any of your above average power metal bands have been doing for the past 15 years.

That said, it is still pretty damned good. If this album existed, and I owned it, in 2002, it woulda been one of my favorite records ever.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

PostSubject: Re: Riot kick....   Riot kick.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2015 3:34 pm

Riot is one of them bands I'd always heard/read much about, but never actually heard, till fairly recently. At the moment the only CD of theirs I own is Fire Down Under, but I intend to dig deeper into their catalog one of these days.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Riot kick....   Riot kick.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2015 10:58 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Riot is one of them bands I'd always heard/read much about, but never actually heard, till fairly recently. At the moment the only CD of theirs I own is Fire Down Under, but I intend to dig deeper into their catalog one of these days.

Same here. I always say I'm going to get more Riot, but never do. I enjoy the 2 discs I have, Thundersteel and Sons of Society.

S.D. wrote:
Nobody cared about that mascot once the needle clicked into the groove and Swords & Tequila started blasting out of the speakers.

I ADMIRE Riot for not having a schtick. They could have gone the Twisted Sister/WASP route but they let the music speak for itself.

My point was back in the late 70's/ early 80's when Riot could have really made an impact on the scene, a cool mascot and cool album artwork would have helped. How many of their albums got overlooked in the record stores in favor of Killers or some good old fashioned Satanic imagery. Or fans wearing a t-shirt or back patch with a bitchin' mascot and logo that could've gotten them some fans. Maybe having a certain look might have gotten them some MTV exposure they sorely needed.

Sure, ultimately it's the music that counts, but look at the bands you've mentioned. Their shtick might have eventually overshadowed the bands themselves, but it also made them household names and sold a helluva lot more albums in the process.

There is something respectable about a band not falling into gimmicks to sell their music, but it's my opinion that Riot missed the boat on that crucial marketing aspect back when that stuff did matter and that's just part of probably many other reasons they didn't hit the big time like some of their peers.

PostSubject: Re: Riot kick....   Riot kick.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2015 11:20 am

Since I still listen to old Riot albums and enjoy them, while many of their peers no longer interest me in the slightest I would say I'm happy with the way history worked out.  Just my selfish perspective.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Riot kick....   Riot kick.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2015 11:29 am

A few years ago, in the print issue of Classic Rock magazine, they did an article on Riot and the many missteps/bad deals/bad luck they had. It might have been shortly after Mark Reale passed. I think they touched on the mascot/lack of image thing, but also just bad luck on the band's part. Poor management, missed opportunities, etc. It was a pretty interesting read.

I wonder if I can find it on-line?

PostSubject: Re: Riot kick....   Riot kick.... - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Riot kick....
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3