Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Riot kick....

Go down 
+21
Dark Horseman
Required Fields
Witchfinder
ZombieHavoc
stpatrik
mlotek
DallasBlack
arachnoplasma
adrian
manny
Metal Misfit
krokus
ultmetal
Lurideath
Temple of Blood
MetalGuy71
nevermore
James B.
Gilbert
metalken
mr.electric39
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Riot kick.... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riot kick....   Riot kick.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 12:13 pm

Riot's never been known for their killer cover artwork.

PostSubject: Re: Riot kick....   Riot kick.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 1:10 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Riot's never been known for their killer cover artwork.

Most definitely.

Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25905

PostSubject: Re: Riot kick....   Riot kick.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 3:01 pm

Gilbert wrote:
adrian wrote:
I recently relistened to Born in America after probably a few years of having it buried in my collection. Thundersteel really rekindled my interest in the band. After going back and listening, Born in America is a great cd, I don't know what I was thinking! Though the cover is definitely atrocious

I'm getting Born in America this weekend. a used copy from a friend.

I hope i'll enjoy it.

I can't see why you wouldn't. It's great!!
Back to top Go down
stpatrik
Metal student
Metal student
stpatrik

Number of posts : 145

PostSubject: Re: Riot kick....   Riot kick.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 8:11 am

The new album is great, if you're a RIOT fan, you'll love it. If you aren't - check it out anyway. Here's my review on it:

http://metalexpressradio.com/menu.php?main=reviews&id=3641

Here's another new song stream: http://www.noisecreep.com/2011/10/20/riot-sins-of-the-father-song/
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Riot kick....   Riot kick.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 2:17 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
The local FYE had a used copy of Born in America that I was debating picking up, which is why I asked. I listened to some samples and wanted some opinions first. Hate to make "blind purchases" these days. My Riot collection is sorely lacking so if it's still there, maybe I'll snag it.

Ah well, guess it wasn't meant to be. Went back over the weekend and it was gone. Dang.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Riot kick....   Riot kick.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2015 10:42 am

Resurrecting an old thread because I just kind of "discovered" Fire Down Under. I mean, I've known of it forever, and may have heard it before, I don't know for sure. But I don't own it. I heard "Swords and Tequila" on Ozzy's Boneyard the other day, and have been listening to this album on youtube non-stop since. It is so damned good.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Riot kick....   Riot kick.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2015 10:47 am

ZombieHavoc wrote:
Resurrecting an old thread because I just kind of "discovered" Fire Down Under. I mean, I've known of it forever, and may have heard it before, I don't know for sure. But I don't own it. I heard "Swords and Tequila" on Ozzy's Boneyard the other day, and have been listening to this album on youtube non-stop since. It is so damned good.

It would be very high on my list of best metal/hard rock albums of the 80s.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

PostSubject: Re: Riot kick....   Riot kick.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2015 12:12 pm

ZombieHavoc wrote:

It's one of my favorite albums of all time. I'm glad you like it!
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28460

PostSubject: Re: Riot kick....   Riot kick.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2015 7:06 pm

I was listening to Unleash the Fire over the weekend. Great album; easily one of 2014's best. (I didn't actually get it until mid-2015, but regardless, it's great.)

(Also, it was released under the band name of Riot V in most parts of the world, likely because this is more or less "Mach V" for Riot, not unlike the way Deep Purple divides their history into Mach I, Mach II, etc.", as I stated in a YouTube video I made where I discuss it.)
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan

PostSubject: Re: Riot kick....   Riot kick.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2015 7:16 pm

The difference is that with Riot there are NO original members left, unlike Deep Purple which still has Ian Gillan, Roger Glover and Ian Paice.

Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

PostSubject: Re: Riot kick....   Riot kick.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2015 7:19 pm

That is correct.

I know that it was only in Japan and Korea it was released under the Riot name alone. I think that might have to do with perhaps their label distributors in those countries or something; I thought I read that somewhere.

According to Metal Archives: Following Mark Reale's death in early 2012, Riot eventually decided to carry on, but without Tony Moore who decided to leave the music business again. After some deliberation and discussion with Reale's father, Tony Reale, they decided to amend the name of the band to Riot V to simultaneously honour the founder of the band and acknowledge that they could not be called Riot without him.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Riot kick....   Riot kick.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2015 7:35 pm

It was a very good album and much in the vein of the Riot style and sound.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Riot kick....   Riot kick.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2015 8:44 pm

Love this album: "Fire Down Under" and "Swords and Tequila" are the faves with "Run for Your Life" and "Altar of the King" very close behind. There is really not a bad tune on this album, save for maybe "Flashbacks" and it's only a bummer b/c it doesn't turn into an actual song. I still like it though.
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

PostSubject: Re: Riot kick....   Riot kick.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 01, 2015 1:09 pm

Fire Down Under is a masterpiece. It's just no-frills heavy metal with balls. I love the vocals, too. Guy Speranza's got an atypical voice in traditional metal but it fits their early sound so well.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

PostSubject: Re: Riot kick....   Riot kick.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 01, 2015 4:38 pm

It was interesting this thread was resurrected, because I ordered Born in America last month. It should be in the mail any day now.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

PostSubject: Re: Riot kick....   Riot kick.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 01, 2015 7:02 pm

The album arrived in the mail today!
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Riot kick....   Riot kick.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 01, 2015 8:16 pm

I thought it was really cool that on the front cover of "Unleash the Fire" the street signs next to Johnny read Bloodstreets and Reale Way.
Back to top Go down
metalken
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 816

PostSubject: Re: Riot kick....   Riot kick.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 01, 2015 11:30 pm

Fire Down Under is my most played album of my life. I played the heck out of my vinyl copy since like 1981 and the cd since like 1999 or so. This is still a much played release for me, where as some of the other music from that era/year never gets even a passing second.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Riot kick....   Riot kick.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 01, 2015 11:45 pm

The Riot albums I played the most were Fire Down Under and the Riot Live EP (Elektra).  I also loved Narita and Restless Breed and had them on vinyl.  Born In America I got a little later, probably 85 or so, never heard Rock City until it came out on CD, along with that Riot Live release with Sperenza.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Riot kick....   Riot kick.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2015 10:36 am

S.D. wrote:
never heard Rock City until it came out on CD

I am listening to this right now and it rules. I think I may like this more than FDU. Completely different sound, to be sure. I am digging this.

It is clear that I waited far to long to investigate Riot. The only thing I'd ever given a proper and repeated listen was Rhett Forester's Gone With the Wind album.

I remember sometime around 2000 to 2002, I was really digging into a lot of 80s metal I had missed out on, and I almost picked up Riot CDs from the local Tower on many occasions, but always seem to put them back in favor of something else.
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: Riot kick....   Riot kick.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 03, 2015 1:03 pm

RIOT one of the most underated bands of all time.... and Fire Down Under should be in a top 25 of all time great metal albums.... But in 1981 Elektra didnt know what to do with it???

I'm glad the Riot banner continues on... when Mark Reale passed away (last year?) it was a sad for sure.... at least the guys go under the banner of Riot V .....
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com

PostSubject: Re: Riot kick....   Riot kick.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 03, 2015 1:50 pm

Riot didn't have a "schtick" that could be easily marketed by a label. No image, no gimmicks, just honest, pure music.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Riot kick....   Riot kick.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 03, 2015 3:27 pm

S.D. wrote:
Riot didn't have a "schtick" that could be easily marketed by a label.  No image, no gimmicks, just honest, pure music.

Better band mascot might've helped too. The Johnny the Seal was no match for Ed the Head. Razz

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39646

PostSubject: Re: Riot kick....   Riot kick.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 03, 2015 4:07 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
S.D. wrote:
Riot didn't have a "schtick" that could be easily marketed by a label.  No image, no gimmicks, just honest, pure music.

Better band mascot might've helped too. The Johnny the Seal was no match for Ed the Head. Razz

Yeah that has to be one of the weirdest mascots out there.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Riot kick....   Riot kick.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 03, 2015 11:40 pm

Nobody cared about that mascot once the needle clicked into the groove and Swords & Tequila started blasting out of the speakers.

I ADMIRE Riot for not having a schtick. They could have gone the Twisted Sister/WASP route but they let the music speak for itself.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Riot kick....   Riot kick.... - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Riot kick....
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next